Home > Announcements > Things I have fixed

AuthorMessage
Things I have fixed
I've been running around trying to patch up the sort of problems that you don't notice on your own, but which suddenly jump out when thousands of people are using the site.

(No kidding. When I put things live I was fairly confident that nothing was broken. Oh, how I learned.)

So, I have fixed:

1. Stories being cut off. I think. All the test-cases that people sent me work now, anyway. If you're still seeing stories that you post get cut off, email me a copy of the story (admin@ficwad,com) so I can track down the problem.

2. Character selecting in IE. Previously if there were no characters in a category it wouldn't let you post the story if you'd clicked in the select box, because IE doesn't recognize the 'disabled' attribute on an option.

3. Category selecting in IE. (Theme? Maybe.) Selecting a new category wasn't updating the character list. This was a complicated problem involving difficulties that prototype.js has with window load events. So I've switched javascript frameworks, incidentally cutting the amount of javascript you have to load by about 80%.

3. I re-enabled the story views counter for authors. Your stats will update once a day in the (American) morning.

In short, Unicode is nice. Unicode + PHP... tricky.
As a token of my generosity, I've fixed logging out if you'd selected "remember me" when you logged in.
Thanks for the read count. I always liked that.
And thank you for all your hard work getting the site back up.
I don't know if this is a site problem, or a me problem, but something's wrong with my favorite stories page on my profile, the ratings are being cut off and running into each other.

I'm glad the site is back up and running, one more sudoku game and I was going to tear my hair out.
My Story...
I posted a chapter to my story and, yes, it did get cut off, the only thing is, when I posted it, I didn't know that there were stories being cut off, so I haven't got a backup of my chapter...

It says that the word count is two thousand and something, but only one and a half sentences show up...I was wondering if there's a way of fixing it or if I'm going to have to re-write that chapter of my story...(It won't be exactly the same, but it will be similar)???
Lovely having the hit count back...

I'm still having trouble with maintaining one of my stories, though. The story is The Boy and the Ring (I'd post a link, but I'm not sure which one it should be...). There are currently three copies of the story showing up in my account. The first has no chapters, but no option to delete, either. The second has the first chapter and two reviews. The third has the second and third chapters, though out of order. Only the first and second show up on my profile. The real story, before the site went down, had three chapters, a 4-rating and 8 or 9 reviews. Is it possible to get it back, or should I delete everything and start over?
i know you're getting a lot of people hurling exclamation points at you (especially that one schizophrenic kid in the other thread), but thanks for all the hard work you're putting into this.
thank you soooo much for all your hard work.
it is definitely running better then before.
so thank you.
Thalarian's story "Queens Of Darkness, Ladies Of Light" http://www.ficwad.com/story/22707 seems to have all of its chapter content missing (the links work, but there is no story to read). i'm not sure if it's a database problem or if the author has withdrawn his story, but perhaps you could check it out?

Also, i'm using Firefox w/ Unicode character encoding, but some stories that i view (ie, http://www.ficwad.com/story/73973) still have gibberish instead of quotation marks. Is this on my end, your end, or the author needs to re-submit the chapter?

Finally, thanks for getting the site back up! keep up the good work!
Chapter 6 of Apocalypso's "Fury of the Hellspawn: The Tale of an Incubus" http://www.ficwad.com/story/39859 seems to also be missing.