Home > Announcements > IE6, or WebsiteBane as we call it

AuthorMessage
Kemayo
IE6, or WebsiteBane as we call it
The rating pages should no longer be horribly squished in IE6.

(I would like to point out that I don't care if things look worse in IE6, so long as they're still functional. I have no intention of spending the amount of effort it would take to get IE6 pixel-perfect when it's already outdated. This stance is possibly slightly callous, I admit.)

One issue that has become apparent since updating the site is that operations which have to clear a class of pages from the cache are quite slow. This wasn't noticeable until the cache got reasonably full, unfortunately. The likely consequence of this is that I'm going to shunt a few things into scripts that run every five-to-fifteen minutes instead of forcing you to wait while they update whenever you upload a story.

Finally, I'd like to acknowledge that there are still some stories out there that got mangled by The Great Unicode Switch. I'm likely going to be waiting until a low-traffic moment (say, 4am on a Monday) and taking the site down for fifteen minutes so I can run a batch fixing script without potentially conflicting with anything.
meeniemoe
Concerning Reviews
As far as reviews go, the count isn't exactly accurate. Also, my friends' stories' reviews don't show up...
Could you fix that? Thanks.
I'm really appreciating everything you're doing here.
-meeniemoe
BloodLust
concerning search categories
wow this must take so long to get everything working again >< Hope you're coping well and we all apreciate the work you're doing.

About using the search categories, will you be putting this back up or are you permamently scrapping it? hope to hear back soon.

~BloodLust
BloodLust
wow this must take so long to get everything working again >< Hope you're coping well and we all apreciate the work you're doing.

About using the search categories, will you be putting this back up or are you permamently scrapping it? hope to hear back soon.

~BloodLust
BloodLust

~BloodLust
rainydaykid13
concerning reviews
dude i really appreciate all the work that's going into getting this site back on its feet. at first i was kinda like "well this sucks," but it's getting a lot better. it's gotta be stressful, working on this all the time. but i do have one concern, the reviews aren't showing up on the main page. you can see them if you open a story, but just looking at them most of them look like they've got none, even if they've got a hundred. and another thing (ok, so i've got two concerns,) is it supposed to be cutting off story summaries? i kinda don't like that, you can't tell much of what the story is about. could you fix that?
again, i really appreciate all this, and things are definitely looking up. thanks :]

*rainydaykid13
Michelle That seems to happen to multichaptered stories only. Reviews are only showing up for a chapter - for single-chapter stories in the main view and for multi-chaptered stories in the chapter view. But it is terribly annoying, I agree.
girlinthemoon My review count is off too. But I can live with that.
But I appreciate all the hard work you've put into this site. Thank you.
Great_Writer_Sarah Yay! You guys are back! :D
Now that FicWad has a shiny new look to it, any chance that suggested sections will be added soon? Like, say, Last Exile for the anime/manga section? ;D
Jiltanith I'm not using IE but rather an old version of Firefox for Mac. However, I don't think this is why certain things I've noticed are happening; DrT's latest chapter took several hours to appear in his profile, and though the chapter showed up in the story index there was and is no link from the previous chapter to the new one, although the new one links back to the previous one.

Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.

Featured Story

Site Stats

• Authors: 633103
  • Stories: 40433

Recent Stories