Home > Writing Tips > Summaries.

AuthorMessage
XxIceCreamHeadachexX
Summaries.
I was wondering if you could give me tips on summaries.

Sometimes I think I give too much away, but I don't want to say, 'Just read and find out' because then I think people aren't too intrigued in reading it if they don't know what it's about.

Help, please? D=
IeroMyHero Try doing like an interesting quote from the chapter. Because if it's exciting, people will wanna know what caused the character to say it. Well, at least, that's what I do and people seem to read my story...
XxIceCreamHeadachexX Thank you!
I'm definately going to try it out sometime. =D
BlackAngelChick Summaries are just a brief outline of what's going to happen in the chapter. So what if they suck, it's the story that counts, NOT the summary.
XxIceCreamHeadachexX Yes, but I want people to read my story (or chapter), and if the summary sounds interesting enough, they might be intrigued in reading the story (or chapter)
infinite-oddity I totally understand, and agree with IeroMyHero.
Summaries always baffle me, but quotes are usually a good route to go.
helluin For a different perspective (and a marketing one) -- no one will read your story unless the summaries and title draw them in. So they're important copy.

Think about TV and movie trailers and episode summaries. What do they use to grab the audience without giving things away?

One thing is favorite characters. Many fans love certain characters, so mentioning what characters the story or chapter will focus on and the problem they'll face will hook them even if you don't reveal the ending. (E.G. "Khan Noonian Singh has escaped from the planet where James Kirk imprisoned him twenty years ago-- and he's out to prove the Klingon adage that 'revenge is a dish best served cold.'")

Another thing is writing. You have to demonstrate that your writing skills are readable and engaging. Word choice, irony, basic grammar and punctuation are a must.

I think of a summary as like a poem, especially haiku: a very brief space in which to convey a starting point, a topic, a theme, and a few accents of color/tone/emotion to capture the reader's imagination. Every word in a poem counts for more than just its meaning.

Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.