Home > Site Issues > Browsing

AuthorMessage
RiskyWombat
Browsing
While browsing fics you have the options to choose preferences to narrow the number fics showed. Among these options is the characters. Now to me this means that you can use those options to choose the pairing in the fics that'll be listed, but apparently it just shows the fics where the chosen are listed as characters. Is this how it's supposed to work? Because in my mind if you are given two characters to choose to narrow the field it's supposed to be the ones who are the main pairing, not just two that are in the fics.
Kemayo It is, indeed, supposed to simply return those stories that have both the characters listed.

As with many things involving not-very-filtered user input, how well this works in practice depends quite heavily on how authors choose to work with it.

Our intent was that an author should only list characters who are fairly important to the story. But, obviously, there's no way to enforce that. We toyed with the idea of limiting the number of characters to, say, five or six... but decided that it would just annoy a noticible number of people who write epic stories featuring Every Single Character.
Ithilwen "Our intent was that an author should only list characters who are fairly important to the story."

I did not know that.

Perhaps changing the category (on the story upload page) to "key characters" would smooth things out.
RiskyWombat Okay, good to know.

I guess I'm just used to the way it works in fanfiction.net and when it didn't work same way here, my fist thought was there's something wrong with it.

Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.

Featured Story

Site Stats

• Authors: 655362
  • Stories: 39945

Recent Stories