Home > The Melting Pot > Recomended Anime/Manga

AuthorMessage
DarkRealm
Recomended Anime/Manga
oki... I'd really like it if someone could reccomend some anime/manga to me. To give you an idea... i've read Ruroni Kenshin, Inuyasha, Girl Got Game, The Wall Flower, and Fruits Basket. SO if you can, give me your top 5 anime not including those? Thanks in advance
Madilayn May I suggest one of the grandaddy's of them all: Kagatu Ninjatai Gatchaman (better known as Gatchaman).

This anime series is generally regarded as the basis of all the future "team" shows - it gave us the 5 person team, with the now-typical makeup. The unusual mechas that show up and the many vehicles becoming one.

It first became known outside Japan in 1977 as "Battle of the Planets", then "G-Force" and "Eagle Riders" . The original leaves these adaptations for dead - do try it!
screamingferret
You might like to try Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, 3x3 Eyes, Read or Die (both the series and the TV movies), or Samurai Champloo.

I haven't read much manga, but Hellsing is well worth reading.
Neptune As far as manga, Chobits and Alice 19th are a couple of my favorites.

For anime, I absolutely adore Haibane Renmei. X3
writelove Samurai Champloo, that's all I have to say. :)
helluin Shojo Kakumei Utena is a class by itself, in my opinion. It starts out with a number of fairy tale, anime, and "teenagers at school" clichés and turns them completely on their head by the end of the first season. It gets pretty dark in spots, pretty surreal in others. The duels and swordfighting are fun, the characters are all terribly layered and mostly quite disturbed, and the lead character is a young girl who was so impressed by a passing Prince Charming that she decided to grow up and become a prince!

There lots of challenging of traditional gender roles, another thing that anime excels in.
MarkPoa I usually recommend anime for people based on their favorite genres in movies and books. There are a wide range of anime out there... most of which could fascinate easily. Still, to get "into" anime, it's best to start with genres you prefer already.

For action/adventure fans: Full Metal Alchemist, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Read or Die, and Ghost in the Shell are highly recommended by me.

For sci-fi lovers: Full Metal Alchemist and Gunbuster spring to mind easily.

For Fantasy fans: the original Record of Lodoss War OAV series is a must watch.

For goth/horror fans: Pet Shop of Horrors is bound to titilate your morbid tastes. X the TV series satisfy in terms of blood and gore... plus some prophecy added to the mix.

For romance fans: Oh, My Goddess is always a safe suggestion. If you're looking for a bit of sci-fi with your romance, Chobits is pretty good.
Cpt_Frozen_Hotdog 1.) Hellsing. Hands down, one of the most kick-ass anime/manga of the vampiric horror/action genre.
2.) Revolutionary Girl Utena is another great one, as Helluin said.
3.) Chobits, a thousand times over. Great anime, awesome beginning and ending themes.
4.) Eerie Queerie! is a great title if you're into yaoi.
5.) Und . . . Sgt.Frog if you're into sci-fi, alien comedy.

Ithilwen Excel Saga is absolutely hysterical, but viewer must have a high tolerance for randomness. The three main characters, for example, are all named after hotel chains.

The character Pedro is an offensive stereotype, but he's not in every episode.

The original manga, drawn by Koshi Rikdo was about ACROSS, a small group of idiots who try to take over F city. They fail. Repeatedly.

The anime is a deliberate deviation from the manga, but it works. The opening sequence of each ep involves a gangly, brown-haired man coming on screen and saying, "I, Koshi Rikdo, hereby give my permission for Excel Saga to be turned into a ***." Answers have included, "action-packed scifi movie," "tennsploitation sports flick," "serious drama about social issues," and "cheesy dating video game," all with hilarious results.
MarkPoa
Excel Saga
I found Excel Saga to be great as well, but I wouldn't recommend it for the new anime viewer. It has too many injokes and parodies of other anime shows that the person who would most "get" the jokes are those who have at least a working knowledge of anime or Japanese culture.

On the manga front, I can't believe I forgot to mention "Rumic Theater" by Rumiko Takahashi. It's a collection of short stories and is really very good. It also shows how diverse manga stories can be.

Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.

Featured Story

Site Stats

• Authors: 666385
  • Stories: 39961

Recent Stories