Home > Fic Recs > Question

AuthorMessage
Nessrox444
Question
I don't know if this is the section I should be putting this in or not, the only other place it could go would be site issues but it's not nescissarily an issue. Anyway, when you look at edit stories to see reads what exactly does it mean when it says.

Story - 5 reads
Chapter 1 - 2 reads
Chapter 2 - 2 reads

? If you add 2 and 2 it doesn't equal five, does that mean I got 9 reads? If that's the case then why didn't those 5 reads just get transfered to the chapters themselves?
locust I believe that means you got 2 'straight read throughs,' but 5 glances at the story header, which is a separate page of its own outside the actual story chapters. Each separate page a reader clicks on gets one hit.
Nessrox444 Oh so those 5 reads aren't actually reads, they're just people clicking the story header and then reading? So I really only got two reads in all?
locust Afraid so.
Lourdes I know that if you open one of your own stories once they're published it counts as a read, but if you open that same story again it doesn't count. Is the same true for other readers? If they re-read your story does the tracker count that hit again? (I hope I just made sense!)
locust Some sites have a 30 second delay programmed in, so the hit count isn't run up artifically. That's to make sure the hits are actual readings instead of the bounce-throughs you get trying to navigate to another chapter. I'm not sure if Ficwad has that feature, though. I think this site will count the hits if the story is re-read again.
Nessrox444 Agent Angel 10
Chapter 1: The Worthless Angel 8
Chapter 2: Unleashed 4
Chapter 3: Seven Remaining 14

Okay these are what I got. Apparently most ppl read the 3rd chapter without reading the rest. But I don't get why there are only 10 on the topic? WOuldn't that be higher than all of them? So... what's going on here?
Lourdes I've found the same thing with my final chapters of my stories. My mid-point chapters have the fewest hits and my end chapters only slightly less than my first ones. And my Summary Pages don't add up either, which is odd because you have to go through the summary to get to my chapters. Hmmm. That's odd. Maybe it's the drop-down menus at the top and bottom of every chapter. But then, why would your chapter three be so much higher than the others. Did people leave you feeback yet? If so, and then they clicked the "Return to Story" button maybe that counts as another hit?

I'm also guessing that some people skip to the end chapters to see if they'll want to read the entire story. WHY people do that is beyond me. It's like skipping to the end of a book and finding out who the killer is before you read the plot. Why read it at all if you're going to do that? sigh
locust People tend to read in a weird fashion. Yes, some do skip to the end to see how the story turns out before they read it. Others will re-read any scene with sex in it, or go back to the chapter where their favorite character(s) make an appearance, or whatever.

Some people click on an interesting-looking header intending to read, then realize it's a multichapter work they don't have time for at the moment, so they return to it later. I often do that.
Nessrox444 Unfortunatly noone has left feedback on any story except for one. And on all but one of those comments I asked them to review it for me. Any tips on how I could get people more interested in leaving me feedback? (I know saying "leave me feedback" doesn't help because people don't like to be told what to do, likewise begging is found to be annoying).

Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.

Featured Story

Site Stats

• Authors: 483166
  • Stories: 40154

Recent Stories