Home > Announcements > New category added

AuthorMessage
admin
New category added
We now have a "Celebrities" category, for Real-Person Fic. Not much there at the moment, but if you need a category added, let us know. The categories will be arranged by band/movie/show rather than individual characters.
Loki-L Why exactly is there a celebrities entry for "Lord of the Rings" ? Did I miss something? Is there some obscure band or something that named itself for the book or is this meant for something like metafics about the actors in the recent movie-adaption? In any case this could be made clearer.

It might also be a good idea to add some links when the correct category for an entry is ambigious because it stretches over many different media. People might look for "Lord of the Rings" in the movie section because they have never heardof the books. And people who are aware that James Bond was originally the hero of Ian Flemmings novels might not think to check the Movie section for him. The X-men appear in comics, cartoons and Movies, but one might argue that the three are different enough to be treated as seperate fandoms. Still a link along the lines of "also see under comics" might be helpfull.
It might be even worse for some of the entries in the Anime/Manga section where a fandom might originate in one medium and quickly spread to anything from radio-play and musicals to novels and live-action shows in addition to the Anime/Manga form that most people in the west a familiar with. Perhaps it would be best to lump anything Japanese in Anime/Manga even if one might justifiable place many entries in Movies,Books or TV, or even Games, Comics and Cartoons.
An explanation at the top of each category might help here.

Another suggestion I have would be to add a rating along the lines of -1 Spam! or perhaps -1 Pointless for stories that aren't really long enough to be boring, prediactable or out of character (because there was no characterization).

And it might look better if all the character names for a category are given in the same format. It would probaly impossible to have the same transliteration system for the entire site, but at least the dozend or so characters in the same category could be named consistently.
Loki-L Why exactly is there a celebrities entry for "Lord of the Rings" ? Did I miss something? Is there some obscure band or something that named itself for the book or is this meant for something like metafics about the actors in the recent movie-adaption? In any case this could be made clearer.

It might also be a good idea to add some links when the correct category for an entry is ambigious because it stretches over many different media. People might look for "Lord of the Rings" in the movie section because they have never heardof the books. And people who are aware that James Bond was originally the hero of Ian Flemmings novels might not think to check the Movie section for him. The X-men appear in comics, cartoons and Movies, but one might argue that the three are different enough to be treated as seperate fandoms. Still a link along the lines of "also see under comics" might be helpfull.
It might be even worse for some of the entries in the Anime/Manga section where a fandom might originate in one medium and quickly spread to anything from radio-play and musicals to novels and live-action shows in addition to the Anime/Manga form that most people in the west a familiar with. Perhaps it would be best to lump anything Japanese in Anime/Manga even if one might justifiable place many entries in Movies,Books or TV, or even Games, Comics and Cartoons.
An explanation at the top of each category might help here.

Another suggestion I have would be to add a rating along the lines of -1 Spam! or perhaps -1 Pointless for stories that aren't really long enough to be boring, prediactable or out of character (because there was no characterization).

And it might look better if all the character names for a category are given in the same format. It would probaly impossible to have the same transliteration system for the entire site, but at least the dozend or so characters in the same category could be named consistently.
Wallwalker An idea came to mind today after reading about the new category - how about adding an automatic disclaimer to all stories, especially the Real Person fiction? Maybe you could even just add it to the copyright statement at the bottom of the page. You would have to add three different statements to be thorough, though - one for fiction-based fanfic stating that the authors on site aren't claiming to own the source material, one for original works stating that the authors DO own their material, and one for real-person stuff stressing that the stories are fictional and that no defamation is intended by them. So I'm not sure what the best way to go about adding them would be. Just something for you to consider, I guess.

(I second Loki-L's new rating idea - I like -1 Pointless, myself.)
Kemayo I've seen a lot of fics centered around the cast of LotR.

Categorising RealPerson fic is kinda tough...
YasminM LOTR actor slashfics are generally known as Lotrips (ie, "LOTR RPS") -- perhaps that may be a better name for that category? I'll ask if hetfics come under that term, too.
TamerTerra "Another suggestion I have would be to add a rating along the lines of -1 Spam! or perhaps -1 Pointless for stories that aren't really long enough to be boring, prediactable or out of character (because there was no characterization)."

Unless it's a drabble... And how long would a one-shot have to be to disqualify itself as pointless?
Dunvi I'd say that that choice was probably your choice. I mean, a several 1000 word fic can easily be pointless or spam if it's not funny, romantic, or anything. Your discretion...?
lilyqueen777 bloodrayne (by request by someone who would come to this site if this was here)-anime
code lyoko
wildfire

thanks!
Tendai
Japanese Music
Would it be possible to add just a blanket "Japanese Music" section to this? With the number of bands, it's going to be a pain requesting each and every time.

Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.

Featured Story

Site Stats

• Authors: 488952
  • Stories: 40148

Recent Stories