Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Dead On Arrival

im just a boy who took too many chances

by watch_the_sky 1 review

we get by with a little help from our friends*

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-06-22 - Updated: 2008-06-22 - 988 words - Complete

0Unrated
The sky was unusually calm on such a cold Midwest night and the silence was comforting as it wrapped around the building, echoing through the air like a serene blanket; but perfection like that doesn’t last and soon enough the beautiful blanket was soaked with the sound of laughter and music floating out through the night, signifying that someone had opened the sliding glass doors leading out to the concrete balcony. Slender arms were engulfing Ana in a hug from behind as a brisk breeze blew through her hair, a familiar voice singing her name in a less slurred tone than she expected.

“Gabriel Eduardo” Unfortunately her voice isn’t as world famous and well-renowned but she could feel him smiling back at the sound of his voice rolling off of her lips.

“How did you get such a name, Miss Anabella Genevamarie?”

“My father wanted Ana Gene and my mother wanted Bella Marie” Ana smiled awkwardly, trying to envision herself as any other person, with any other name, “So my name was constructed out of a compromise.”

“Why so glum, chum?” Gabe’s voice was soothing as it echoed through the cold winter air wasting no time in getting to the point; his grasp around her shoulders tightening slightly as she cuddled closer to him, a light breeze floating around them.

Offering a shrug of her shoulders was the first response Ana had to give, unaware of how to really explain how she was feeling, “I don’t know, I’m just bummed, you know. Christmas is either the happiest holiday of the year or the most depressing – there’s no medium.”

“I know, mama” Gabe frowned, attempting sympathy and encouragement, “I’m sorry but New Year’s Eve is going to be legendary this year, so chin up mi amor, it can only go up from here!”

“I know, I know!” Ana rolled her eyes, changing the subject, “Let’s talk about you; I’m sick of whining about me.”

Gabe bit on the corner of his lip as he surveyed the city view before them, sighing thoughtfully, “Tour is going to start soon, so I’m majorly psyched for that. I’m trying to convince Janelle to take some time off and go on the road with me; so you should put in a good word!”

“I will” Ana chuckled at the enthusiasm in Gabe’s plea, “I’m sure she would enjoy the vacation.”

“Yeah, it would be nice.” Gabe smiled happily to himself, breaking the news to his best friend, “I think we’re going to move in together in the spring, when this tour wraps, before Warped Tour starts up.”

Ana’s eyes smiled along with her lips, for the first time all night, “Really? That’s great!”

“Yeah” Gabe sighed happily again, “After that baby scare we had I realized what she means to me, and how miserable I would be if I were to ever lose her.

“Aw” Ana cooed, “I’m so happy for you guys.”

“Thanks” Gabe smiled down at the shorter girl in his arms as the smile on her lips faded back into their normally subtle frown. Silence lingered momentarily, as if the universe knew the importance of such a dramatic pause that was soon interrupted by the sound of Gabe’s voice.

“You know he’s miserable, right?”

“I know” Ana sighed, “And I feel terrible I just don’t know wh—“

“Do you still love him?” Gabe interrupted her sentence, throwing off her concentration and complete train of thought, catching her by surprise.

“Of course!” Defense shouldn’t have been necessary, but it just happened to show up in the vulnerability of her answer, “I could never stop.”

“The real question is, are you still in love with him?” Gabe raised an eyebrow as Ana slumped against him.

“I am, so much that it hurts.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

Silence lingered in the air again as Ana carefully constructed the words, trying to find the right array of syllables to portray how she was really feeling. “It’s just hard, I feel like we’re rushing too fast and that maybe we’re making a mistake.”

“That’s not it; you’re just too afraid to get hurt.” Posing as anything but a question, Gabe spoke the truth that Ana was too afraid to reveal. “You got so close, so fast and now you want to run away.”

Ana sighed, heavily, defeated; Gabe was right and it tore her up inside to have to admit that she was that transparent. “Yeah, that’s about it in a nutshell.”

“What is it proving?” His voice was persistent and solid as it sorted through Ana’s thoughts, “What is running away from it proving? Who are you fooling; me, him, yourself?”

Tears were welling up in her eyes as he spoke and her shoulders shrugged in defeat. “I don’t know, maybe I’m just trying to fool myself.”

“Don’t cry” Gabe’s smile was warm and comforting as the tone of his voice became more smoothing; guilty for bringing sadness to just a joyful night. His fingers danced across her cheeks, wiping away the lightly falling tears, comforting her so subtly. “It’s Christmahanukah – we’re happy, having fun because Joe will probably kill you if you ruin his party.”

“I’m sorry” Ana apologized with a weak smile, as she took several calming breaths, Gabe’s arms still wrapped around her waist, holding her tight, “The doubt is just a terrible feeling to dwell on.”

“It’ll be okay mamacita, just remember that you can’t run forever.”

Offering his last words of wisdom, Gabe gave her one final comforting hug before returning to the party in search of his girlfriend and some more liquor, leaving Ana alone in the cold with her thoughts and nothing but the twinkling night sky.
Sign up to rate and review this story