Categories > Original > Drama

The man on the bike, wearing a Metallica t-shirt.

by Anastasia 1 review

About a man seen on a bike, wearing a Metallica t-shirt. Inspired by a conversation I had today, about something that happened to me. First original fiction (:

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-07-01 - Updated: 2008-07-01 - 553 words - Complete

0Unrated
Yesterday, on my way home from school, I saw a man on the bike wearing a Metallica t-shirt.

I don't know why I remembered this, or why it got into my memory at all, or why I would even have noticed a man on a bike wearing a Metallica t-shirt. But I did.

For some reason, seeing this man posed a lot of questions in my mind. It made me wonder about who he was. Where he was going. Where he had come from. What is purpose for riding the bike was, an not a car for example. About his family. If he had kids or not. Whether he was smart and had a good job. What his name was. But I could only just imagine.

After all, he was just a man on a bike wearing a Metallica t-shirt.

I bet he was a really nice guy. He just looked like a nice guy. I seem to think all people are nice and friendly if they're wearing a band t-shirt. Probably because all I seem to wear is band t-shirts, and I feel like I have something in common with them.

He looked upset. He wasn't crying, or even looked like he had been. But there was a part of me that sensed it. I sensedthat he was upset.

I wondered where he had just come from. I guessed that he had just come from wherever he worked, as it was about that time of day. He looked fairly young, and, wearing a Metallica t-shirt, I presumed he was pretty cool, so must have had a pretty cool job.

I presumed he was riding a bike because he couldn't afford a car. He looked about that age. Or maybe he was just popping down to the shops to buy dinner. If it wasn't too far for him, he probably didn't need a car. Or maybe he just wanted some exercise.

I bet he had a girlfriend. He seemed like he did. I bet she was pretty. I could imagine them together, it was quite sweet really. Or maybe he still lived with his parents. Ah well, no harm in that. He looked a bit young to have kids, but maybe he did, maybe they were really young. Maybe just born a few days or weeks ago. If they had, then I felt happy for him. He looked like he deserved that.

I don't know why, but I felt connected to the man on the bike wearing a Metallica t-shirt. I felt like I knew him, even though I had made up his entire life. I felt like I knew him, like we were friends.

But of course, I didn't even know his name.

And that upset me a little.

Tonight, I saw the man on the bike wearing a Metallica t-shirt. But he wasn't on a bike, he was on the nine o'clock news.

He had been reported missing just hours after I had seen him on his bike. His girlfriend of seven years had just died of a condition she had suffered from her whole life. He was distraught.

He was also suspected dead.

"He was last seen in his hometown, leaving his house on a dark green bike, wearing a Metallica t-shirt."

And they didn't even know his name.
Sign up to rate and review this story