Categories > Original > Romance

Metamorphosis

by alloreli 0 reviews

A girl has a meeting with her love at a mountain lodge.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2008-07-02 - Updated: 2008-07-02 - 860 words - Complete

0Unrated
Hello, everyone! This is a short story based on a dream I had. Actually, it can't really be called a short story...there's no real plot to it. Actually, what I'm looking for is help in making it a much longer story, but I need some ideas. Here, I'll let you read it first

Begin

I'm standing in a driveway in front of a lodge with about 5 or 6 other people. All of them are very pale, and I wonder about what my face looks like right now. A few minute later, a black car pulls up and I feel a sense of relief. The car pulls in between myself and the the other people, and the doors on each side open. A teenage boy, tall, pale, and with slightly spiky short black hair, comes out of the door on my side.

"Anthony?" I say.

He focuses on me, and his eyes widen in surprise. "Is it really you?" he asks.

"Yes," I say. He moves closer to me, so quickly, and enfolds me in a bone-crushing hug. I can barely move, he holds me so tight.

"This past week has been torture for me," he says, his warm breath tickling the back of my neck.

"How do you think I've felt?" I say into his shoulder.

One of the other persons comes over and makes as if to hand each of us a piece of paper. Anthony lets go of me with one hand, but keeps the other around my shoulder. We take the paper the person hands us. They both have two digits on them - his says 60, mine 59.

"Good. We're right next to each other," he says. I laugh, and pull his arm off my shoulder. He is confused, until I grab his hand and the two of us dash, laughing, into the lodge.

We run right through the entrance and into the hallway. We pass rows of doors, each door labeled with a number, until we come to doors 59 and 60. We are, as Anthony said, right next to each other.

It's there that we finally let go of each others' hands. We open our doors at the same time, to find small, nondescript rooms. They are both identical, barely the size of a closet and containing only a small bed and a dresser. An inner door leads to a small, private bathroom.

The days pass quickly in this lodge. I know not how I got there or for what purpose I have come. It seems that I am going through a metamorphosis, but of what kind I am not sure. There is one day when I wake up to find my eyes had turned a brilliant, blood crimson, but quickly changed back to their normal ice blue. Another day, my body is racked with searing pain, a fire that seems to flow through my veins along with my blood.

And then a day comes which I instinctively know to be my last day in the mountain lodge. I am sitting quietly on my bed, thinking, when I hear a knock at the door. "Come in," I call. It is Anthony. He comes and sits beside me.

"The others are not here," he says, and I know that what he is really saying is that we are alone. He leans in, close, closer, and closer still. Finally, his face is right up beside mine. His dark brown eyes stare into my lighter blue ones. I can feel the warmth of his breath on my face. His hand comes up behind my head, tilting it ever so slightly. He angles our heads, and brings them together until our lips touch, ever so slightly.

It is not enough for me; I want more, but we hear the others coming. It would not do for us to be found like this. Sighing, I back my head away from his.

"I will find you again," Anthony says. He is as disappointed as I that we did not get to go any farther. "I will not lose you like I did before."

"I know," I whisper. "I trust you."

"I love you," he tells me, and bends his head down to kiss me again. It is not enough; it could never be enough.

He leaves the room, and I pack up my few belongings. We meet again in the front hallway, and we both shift our bags around so that we can hold hands. Finally, Anthony's brother calls him to their car. Anthony lets go of my hand and touches my cheek, softly. Then, he makes his way to the little black car.

The others stand around me as I watch the love of my life drive away.

End

My ideas so far are that the girl is the member of some race that goes through a metamorphosis during the middle of their life. What I need are some ideas for the metamorphosis. I also need to figure out how Anthony fits in. Is he human, or is he also a member of the race. How did he know how to find the girl? Any ideas you might have would be most welcome!
Sign up to rate and review this story