Categories > Books > Harry Potter

The World is a Changin'

by adolf3 2 reviews

What if you were eternally hopping dimensions due to an unexpected side effect? We see the consequences of such a life in The World is a Changin'.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Sci-fi - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] [V] [?] - Published: 2008-08-04 - Updated: 2008-08-04 - 533 words

3Original
Hi there. My name's Harry Potter. Well, actually, at the moment my name is Ryan and I live in Missouri.

I'm quite sure that you believe that you know all about me and what my story is going to be. I must tell you, you have no idea what my life has been like.

While Ms. Rowling has been ever so kind to give you all a deeply flawed and inaccurate version of my life, I have been living some of the most bizarre adventures I have ever heard of. The run-in I had with the irrepressible lunatic while I was a babe did give me a lightning bolt scar, but it also allowed an incredibly rare ability to manifest when I was a lad of only ten.

I have the unique ability to enter into alternate universes and live an entirely different life within them. Within these alternate realities, I age according the relative spacetime continuum, meaning that I my "true" age is a variable quantity. Unfortunately, I have yet to find my original universe.

Most of the universes I have lived in have divergence points as simple as whether John Smith of Anytown, England prefers tea or coffee while reading his morning paper. As you can imagine, those universes are incomparably dull.

A small number of universes of which I know differ in quite significant ways. I once stayed for nearly eighteen years in a dystopian world where a supreme leader ruled an entire continent and led it in a perpetual state of war. I was a secret political dissident working within the government's Ministry of Truth. After some two hundred and ninety-nine universes after that one, I still hate rats.

I have seen universes where the Nazis won the Second World War, where the Roman Empire never fell and still dominates the continent of Europe, and where evolution took entirely different paths. I have lived as thousands of people, lived thousands of lives, and whenever I die in one universe, I am immediately sent to another. I gain the knowledge of my host, which means most times I can survive for quite a while before being discovered. This also means that by now, I am probably one of the most erudite men on any world I visit.

Upon finding the universe where my "life" has been so incorrectly chronicled by the inimitable JK Rowling, I resolved to leave a correct and somewhat fictionalized record of the events of my life wherever I am able. This quest has been frustrated by the inability to bring anything with me, other than my memories.

I shall begin my chronicle in a place I have named Earth-Alpha. This universe is unique amonst all that I encountered, for it is the only one in which the American Revolution against the Crown did not succeed. While this may seem to be a small change, the American Revolution signalled the beginning of the end of the British Empire. It also served as the inspiration for the revolutions in France, India, most of Africa and many other parts of the world.

I shall post my adventure in Earth-Alpha as soon as I am able. Until next time, farewell.
Sign up to rate and review this story