Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Day by day, week by week

Once Upon A Time

by Mirime 0 reviews

She was once a little girl who had no friends to play with

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Rin,Sesshoumaru - Published: 2008-10-10 - Updated: 2008-10-10 - 493 words

0Unrated
Week/Prompt: 34; Outsider's POV
Author's Note: I've been gone a long time, huh? Sorry for that, real life was a pain in the neck.


"A long time ago," an old woman starts as she gazes at the eager faces of her grandchildren, "I was a little girl and I had no one to play with so I spent a lot of time outside in the woods. I was warned not to as youkais roamed the land wide and far but I paid no heed. Foolishness and courage of the young!

Then, one day, I met another little girl. She was picking flowers and though her hair were tangled and unkempt, her checkered yukata was far better than what I was dressed in."

"Was she a youkai?" one of the younger ones pipes up.

"No, my dear. She was an ordinary girl, just like me. I talked to her for a bit and we played, making wreaths of flowers and talking nonsense like little girls tend to do. I forgot about the time as the girl, Rin was her name, told me about her lord. How he was strong, brave, handsome, always took care of her and protected her. I had no idea what the truth was."

"The truth?" the same girl as before asks.

"Yes, the truth," the old woman looks above the heads of the children as she recalls that day in the woods. "She was talking, I was listening and we didn't notice a youkai sneaking up on us," the children gasp as one and she continues, "I screamed when the monster landed in front of us but Rin wasn't afraid. She backed away from the monster, pulling me along until our backs hit the tree. I closed my eyes as the youkai lounged for us, waiting for the death to claim me," here she pauses, taking in enraptured expressions around her. "It never came. There was a soft woosh, the youkai screeched and when I opened my eyes, it laid dead on the ground."

"What happened?" all children demand to know.

"Rin's lord arrived and saved us. He killed the youkai with his sword."

"Just like that?" the eldest boy frowns.

"Just like that," his grandmother confirms, "You see, he was no ordinary man. No," she laughs softly, "he was no man. When I looked up, I saw a magnificent being in white, with long hair, marks on his face and golden eyes. Rin's lord and protector was a daiyoukai."

There is stunned silence, so she finishes her tale.

"I was stunned with fear but Rin ran to him without hesitation, stopping only briefly to call goodbye and in another moment they were gone. I saw them both once again, several years later, when the daiyoukai lord married a human girl and they traveled across the land to their castle. I glimpsed them only from afar but I could tell one thing," the old woman smiles gently. "They were happy."
Sign up to rate and review this story