Categories > Original > Fantasy

Battle for Humanity

by renji 0 reviews

Kimi is just an ordinary girl. Or so everyone thought. No one knew that Kimi had a secret life--she was a highly skilled shinigami. Her current location, Hillview High, was in the center of a town ...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2008-11-03 - Updated: 2008-11-04 - 1593 words

0Unrated
A/N: Please review. I want to know what y'all think. And I am open to constructive criticism.

Chapter 1—The First Clue

The dust is clearing on a playground. People have rimmed the grounds, wondering what was going on. The sudden booms, bangs, and clouds of dust bursting from the seemingly empty playground were strange enough, but even stranger, was that when the dust cleared, all that was left was a single high school girl, standing there on her cell, like nothing had happened.

“Aright people! Nothing to see here! Just a chemistry experiment. Go on, shoo! All of you!” The girl had gotten off of her cell and was now trying to clear the area.

“What the hell is that!?” One of the gawkers had looked up in the sky, and noticed a door forming, disrupting the blues of the sky.

“Shit!!” The girl seemed to know what that odd door was, and apparently had plans on what to do with it.

The crowd suddenly jumped back. Something was coming out of the door. Because the girl seemed to know what was going on, people looked towards her. The air seemed to be swirling around her. The wind got stronger, until she was completely surrounded by a tube of wind that appeared similar to a funnel cloud.

As fast as the wind had appeared, it vanished. The girl’s appearance had completely altered. Her hair had gone from brown to a deep crimson red. Her school uniform had become tight leggings, and a wrap around shirt. And a magnificent weapon had appeared in her hands.

It appeared as though the girl had vanished. Suddenly, cries of surprise escaped from those who were still watching the sky. The girl had rematerialized in mid-air! And she was attacking the thing that came out of the door.

The monster she attacked resembled a giant dog—but with some major characteristic changes. It was pure white, and almost transparent. And its head looked as though it were almost human. The tail, an extremely long barbed whip that it used to defend itself and attack the girl.

The odd weapon the girl had seemed to have no effect at first, but then people noticed that where the girl hit the creature, a splotch of black appeared. Slowly but surely, the creature appeared more and more black. The girl kept attacking, surprisingly receiving minimal injuries herself.

Once the creature had turned completely black, the girl uttered a phrase, and her weapon shone bright. While the brightness of the shine had temporarily blinded the creature, the girl attacked with all of her strength, stabbing the creature directly in the heart. A strange purple orb floated out of the creature, and the body slowly faded away.

The girl captured the orb in a strange container. “Ha! You weren’t tough, you stupid little dog spirit!” As she was mocking the now captured orb, she seemed to remember that there was a crowd watching her. “Shit. Dervt is gonna kill me for being seen again.” And with a quick sarcastic salute to the crowd, she vanished.

^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^

“Again! Kimi, what have I told you over and over! Don’t be seen by humans! Rumors will start and…. for pete's sake, Kimi, there could have been a reporter there! If they got you on any sort of film, we’re doomed.” Dervt, Kimi’s teacher and fellow shinigami was pacing through the tiny room. “You got the spirit at least?”

“Yes, Dervt. You didn’t think that I couldn’t catch a simple weak little dog spirit, did you?” Kimi threw the soul chamber to Dervt, who easily caught it. “Come on, Dervt. I still have to get to school!”

“Fine. Go. I’ll clean up your mess…. again.”

“Thanks, Dervt. I owe ya one!” Kimi winked at him, and dashed out the door to go to school. She was only a few hours late today.

Dervt muttered under his breath. “More like you owe me a million, Kimi.”

^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^

Kimi opened the classroom door. “Sorry I’m late, Mrs. DuVrang. I had a slight…problem this morning.”

“Kimi, I know exactly what your problem was. You’re just a lazy slacker, it all. Take your seat.” And not five seconds after Kimi sat down, her classmate, nicknamed Bucket, walked in. “Take your seat, Bucket. Isn’t this quite the rarity? I’ll let your tardy slide this time.” Kimi grumbled. Stupid Bucket and her stupid being a stupid teachers pet.

Kimi was snapped out of her thoughts when she felt a tap on her back. Damien was seated behind her, to her great luck. “Wanna pull some pranks on the old biddy after school?”

“As completely awesome and fun as that sounds, I kinda have to work.”

“Right after school!?”

“Yup. The moment I’m freed from these walls, I lose my freedom to my boss.”

“mad, that sucks. When’s your next free day?”

“Well, unfortunately, my job is never ending. I have no clue when I’ll actually have free time. Sorry again. I’ll let you know if I ever—“

“If you ever learn how to back off. Kimi, how many times to I have to repeat myself? Damien is mine.” Ginie pried herself into the whispered conversation. “Now both of you shut your mouths before DuVrang notices.”

Both Kimi and Damien rolled their eyes at Ginie. She was in total denial that she and Damian were over. Damien gave Kimi a look that said he understood what she was going to say before Ginie interrupted, and then they went back to listening to the dull drone of Mrs. DuVrang’s lesson.

^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^

Most of the day had passed without interruption. But halfway through her last class, Kimi’s phone went off, which meant that there was a spirit in the area.

“Kimi! I will tolerate the use of cell phone in between classes, and possibly one set to vibrate during class, provided it’s not used. But to have it on a ring, and even still to answer it! Go to the—“

“Sorry, Mrs. D. Gotta go.”

“Another one of your ‘emergencies’?” But DuVrang never got her answer, because Kimi was already gone.

^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^

Kimi was running as fast as she could to Dervt’s to see if he had any information on the spirit she was paged for. All she knew at this point was that this spirit was different.

As soon as she got there, she noticed that Dervt was already in his spirit form, ready to fight. “It’s a human spirit, but she’s been sent back to earth. She has the potential to be highly dangerous. I’m going with you. Here.” Dervt tossed Kimi something. “It’s a spirit chamber built strong enough to hold a nature spirit. We may need it.” Kimi’s eyes widened at the idea of holding something so powerful. It was rare that they had an encounter like this. Such strong spirits rarely needed containment—those kinds of spirits were usually guardians.

Upon arrival of the site where the spirit was supposedly located, it seemed as though the page was almost a prank. There was no evidence of spirit particles, no sign whatsoever that a spirit had been in the area.

“Maybe it cloaked itself. The books say that the really powerful ones can do that.” Kimi’s senses were on high alert, waiting for any sign of an attack.

“No. There’d still be traces of her presence. Besides, never go by the books. The books get you killed. Go on instinct.” Dervt had his spirit locator out, scanning the area for any—even minimal—signs of spirits. No trace of anything.

“Hi there! What’cha doin’?”

A spirit had dropped down—upside down—right in front of Kimi’s face. Needless to say, Kimi jumped back a few feet in utter surprise.

“Dervt! Isn’t there anything on that damned piece of shit you call a locator?” Kimi was still clutching her chest, breathing heavily, trying to calm her heart down.

“Nothing! Not a trace!” Dervt kept looking from the locator, to the spirit, and back, constantly hitting the side in hoped a blip would appear on the screen.

“Well of course there’s nothing showing up on your locator. It locates SPIRITS, which I am not one of. I am a demon, of sorts.” The girl finished her sentence with a cheerful smile, as she righted herself.

“A demon!? Dervt, there's no such thin, isn’t there? I mean, the books say…”

“What did I tell you about your goddamn books, Kimi? Remember this—rumors have to start somewhere…O great demon, who has sent you here, and why? I know that your kind do not usually appear like this without having been sent by their master. I do not ask you the identity of your master, and I really haven’t the care for that information. But I am fully curious as to your intentions here today.”

A wide grin spread on the girl’s face. “You are fully educated in the ways of demons. That pleases me. I have been ordered to inform you of my master’s identity on a later date. My orders for today are simple. I am here to warn you of the great evil that is co come. There is to be a war between the spirit world and the human world!” As she finished her unusually cheery speech, the girl faded away, leaving behind only a sense of doom.
Sign up to rate and review this story