Categories > Comics > Fables > The Patchwork Quilt

[014] Green -- Envy Can be a Positive Motivator

by Mollyscribbles 0 reviews

A schmoopy Snow/Bigby piece.

Category: Fables - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2006-03-15 - Updated: 2006-03-16 - 371 words

0Unrated
O, beware, my lord, of jealousy! It is the green-eyed monster, which doth mock The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger; But O, what damned minutes tells he o'er Who dotes, yet doubts--suspects, yet strongly loves!

Bigby had been quite correct, she'd admit that now. After all, what Fable -- at least the ones depicted on the winning side in most stories -- doesn't wish from time to time that they'd truly gotten an ending of 'happily ever after'? Despite the chaos and the Adversary's attacks, Beauty and Beast were almost unique in Fabletown in that they had come closest to a happily ever after.

An unrelentingly loyal husband, a beautiful wife, a successful marriage overall despite the occasional spat. The resentment had vanished, once she realized there was an option to redirect her energy.

It's odd how short-sighted you can be, when you're Ageless. You half convince yourself that simply because your initial story didn't turn out as happily as the mundys still believe it did, that that is simply that.

Devotion wasn't something to come of marriage vows or rescuing your intended from a dragon, but from having the right people involved in the first place. Or wolf, as the case may be.

Even then, it took effort on both parts to have any chance of working. Implicit trust, trusting each other with your very life. Being able to throw all your old beliefs and expectations out the window. Well. She'd admit it took her far too long to catch on to that one.

But true love is patient, especially with the ageless. Despite what they had to go through, she and Bigby were together now.

Things settled down eventually, as they will, and Snow remained devoted to Bigby and Bigby to Snow. While it wasn't a happily ever after -- things were hardly perfect, since life continued as it always did despite their love -- it was close enough for them. A supportive smile during a particulary busy day, a weekend off on occasion, or just a walk through central park to drink in the fresh green life that thrived, even in the middle of the chaos. Ever after.
Sign up to rate and review this story