Categories > Celebrities > The Used > Drowning in my Sleep

This Feels Like High School But Nothing's New

by OhhNoEllie 0 reviews

"I walked by her desk to mine and, hoping I was inconspicuous, whispered, "Watch out for collapsing rooves," and continued to walk away."

Category: The Used - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror,Humor,Romance - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2009-01-19 - Updated: 2009-01-19 - 1640 words - Complete

0Unrated

2. THIS FEELS LIKE HIGH SCHOOL, BUT NOTHING'S NEW

BERT
I was walking to school, as usual, when my head began to throb horribly again. I was running through a crowded hall and I bumped into some girl... and then there was another girl, tall, pale, with reddish pink hair. She was standing, alone. Or was she? I couldn't tell, I had tunnel vision. There was a loud crack, like the sound of a piece of ice breaking off of a cliff, and the roof collapsed, crushing her.
I blinked. I had subconciously walked to school after the hallucination. I was in the school parking lot when Dan Whitesides and Bob Bryar came up to me. They were the school bullies and I was their favorite punching bag. For Pete's sake, we're almost 18, get over it.
"Hey there, pretty," said Dan.
"Leslie," I said, using his middle name. He scowled at me, he didn't like his middle name. Bob cracked hos knuckles, I'd always thought that sound was so disturbing. Have fun ruining your joints. I knew they were gonna beat the crap out me, so I ran. They chased after me as I ran into the school. As I sprinted, I bumped into a girl, just like my hallucination. Or maybe a premonition, who knows.
I ducked into a crowd and saw that Dan and Bob were gone, so I trudged to homeroom. I thought about how weird everything had been today. Ok, I dreamt my hand got slit with a shard of glass, and when I woke up, it was. I saw myself bumping into that girl, and I did. Ok, not big things but I though that it wouldn't hurt to tell that girl I saw getting crushed. I knew her, sort of. I'd said a few words to her in the past and she was nice enough, if one of the "popular" snobs. The bell rang, and off I was to homeroom, once again, late.
Ellie, the girl I had seen, sat in the front. She looked up at me, she always did. From what I had noticed, she was a curious person. She always looked up to see who came in and always asked why. I walked by her desk to mine and, hoping I was inconspicuous, whispered, "Watch out for collapsing rooves," and continued to walk away.
I heard her say something after me, but I continued to walk to my desk at the back of the room. I noticed Drew, the "nerd", talking to a pretty girl. That was a first. I'd never seen the girl before, so I figured she was new.
Ellie looked back at me for a minute and then continued to do what she did best, nothing.

CAROLYN

I sat in the back of my homeroom class with William, Gabe, Shaant, and Ryan. We were loud, but our teacher was deaf and never really cared. I sat next to Gabe, playing with the sleeve of his hoodie. He kissed me and I smiled at him, playing with his hair now.
"So did you see the new kid?" asked Ryan. He always knew everything that went on before anyone else did.
"No, is it a girl?" asked Shaant.
"Like you would care, Shaanty, I'm starting to think you're gay," joked William.
"Like your mom," Shaant said.
"Yeah, it's a girl," said Ryan as we laughed.
"And what does she look like?" asked William, eyeing Ryan.
"Beckett, don't you have a girlfriend?" I said. There he went, being a whore as always.
"So?" he said, winking at me.
"Ah, Bill, you'll grow up to be a prostitute," said Gabe.
"So will you," said Ryan, grinning at Gabe.
"Sure will, but I'm sure Tim will end up as Mother Teresa," said Gabe. I laughed, so did everyone else, including Shaant.
"But anyway, this girl. Seems lik someone we should bring into our clique. I saw her talking to Mr. Nerd," said Ryan.
"Well, she's new, she's got an excuse," said William. He always tended to be shallow.
"Ok Ryan, do you know where we can find her?" asked Gabe.
"She's got Ellie's homeroom, I think," said Ryan.
"Ross, how do you know all this?" asked Shaant.
"I've got my sources," said Ryan, smirking as the bell rang and they headed to first period.
"Bye sweetie," Gabe said, kissing me as I was about to go in the opposite direction. I headed to my chemistry class, hoping to find Ellie on the way there. I never walked to class alone.

WILLIAM

I headed to history with Shaant and we joked carelessly. I saw Anissa. She came rushing towards me. I didn't particularily like her.
"Hey Willy!" she said.
"Hey," I said unenthusiastically.
"Well?" she asked, looking at me expectantly.
"Well what?" I asked.
"Aren't you gonna kiss me?" she said, putting her hands on her hips.
"Oh, yeah," I said, kissing her lightly. More reason to break up with her soon.
"Well, sweetie, I'm going the other way. I'll see you later," she said. Like I care, I thought. As she left, Shaant looked at me, laughing.
"Well? Aren't you gonna kiss me?" he said in a high pitched voice and made a kissy face at me. I blew him a kiss as he asked, "when arou you breaking up with her?"
"As soon as I can. She's so... irritating," I said.
"I can tell. She adores you dude," said Shaant.
"I kinda noticed," I said, rolling my eyes.
"You seem t attract the crazies," said Shaant.
"I seem to attract everyone, Theresa," I said. He stuck his tongue out at me and rolled his eyes.
"Aren't you concieted..." he said.

MAYLAN
"Hey, Neptune, which way's chemistry?" I asked Drew.
"I'll walk you, that's my next class." He said and began to walk, with me behind him.
"So, are there any clubs after school or something?" I asked him. I didn't have much to do at home, so joining a club was my best option.
"Well, me and a few friends have this science thing. Not really science exactly.." He said.
"What so you mean?" I asked.
"You know like Fringe science, astral projection, psychics, you know, the stuff that 'can't happen'" he said, using his fingers to make quotes when he said can't happen.
"Oh, that sounds fun. How do I sign up?" I asked. I was really into that kind of study.
"Already did," he said, smiling at me. I smiled back. I was liking him more and more with every word he said. Someone nudged me from behind. A tall girl with long black hair and streaks of pink and skin slightly tanner than mine smiled at me. She waved "Hi, I'm Carolyn, what's your name?" she said, smiling at me with perfect and white teeth.
"Um, I'm Maylan," I said, I twisted my head and looked around. Drew was gone and he'd left no trace. Another girl apeared next to Carolyn. She was slightly taller, paler, and looked more careless. She half waved at me and yeawned.
"This is Ellie," Carolyn said. The other girl half waved again.
"Um, ok. I have to get to class," I said, wanting to find Drew.
"We'll walk you," said Carolyn. "Where's your next class?"
"Chemistry," I said.
"Oh great, us too," she continued. Ellie flipped her hair out of her eyes but seemed too lazy to speak. The two girls began to walk, sort of pushing me along with them, not by force though. I just wanted to get away from them, to see Drew.

DREW

So, I found a really nice and hot girl who acually wanted to talk to me and what happens? She gets kidnapped by the popular girls. She's not gonna want to talk to me for long if those girls get in her head.
Well, it didn't matter much. I barely knew her. I'd spent 17 years without her, I could spend another 17 years without her. I walked to chemistry awkwardly, I was a very awkward person, and sat at the very back and began to read a book I'd picked up a few days ago, about premonitions.

ELLIE

I am just about the laziest person alive, no lie. Carolyn and Maylan walked into chemistry but I waited outside for a moment, with no idea why. I stood there for a few seconds, and then Bert came walking through the crowd. He stopped and looked at me.
"Watch out," he said.
"What do you mean?" I asked, confused as to what he had meant in homeroom.
"I don't know, and I'm not sure if it'll really happen," he said, freaking me out that much more.
"What? McCracken, what are you talking about?" I asked, irritated now.
"Just watch out, ok?" he said. The bell rang. I walked into class with him and everyone looked at us. This wasn't "popular" behavior. Our teacher, Mr. Way, stepped up to the front of the class as I went to sit next to Carolyn and Ryan. They looked at me, their expression obviously saying "why?" I shook my head slightly as Mr. Way began to speak.
"I'm putting you in groups for your next project," he said briskly. "The groups are: Allman and Lee, Asher and Ferguson, Blaise and Kerwich, Bloom and de LaCruz, Brinkman and de Torres, Bryan and Novarro, Clark and Duncan, Crawford and Howard, Costella and Howard, Lorenzo and McCracken, Martinez and Ross, Deleon and Salpter, and Thomsen, I figured you could work alone," he said. Then Ryan spoke up, "Mr. Way? There's a new student," he said.
"Oh, in that case, Thomsen, work with the new student." Maylan looked over at Drew and smiled softly. Carolyn and Ryan laughed at me.
"Hah, you've got McCracken," said Ryan. I flicked them off. I was sort of looking forward to it.
Sign up to rate and review this story