Categories > Original > Romance > Haunting Smiles

A Night Away from Home

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

"Where am I?"

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2009-02-23 - Updated: 2009-02-24 - 852 words

0Unrated
Chapter 2 - A Night Away from Home



I awoke to the aroma of cigarettes and burnt cookies. On a couch with a red pillow underneath my head and a baby blue blanket on me. In front of me was a coffee table that contained a lighter and a pack of red Marlboro cigarettes. Then I heard a female voice ask, "Hey, dude, are you awake?" I got up and saw the girl and a guy with a 'My Chemical Romance' t-shirt, he was eating, what looked like, a chocolate chip cookie.

"Where am I?" I questioned the girl, groaning while I arose from the lumpy couch I had sat back down on it after getting up the first time, and stood up on my feet with my pitch black hair covering my face from the dim light the small lamp produced.

"Are ya hungry?" The guys asked and held up a cookie.

"Ah, no thanks, I'm good." I said with a wave of my hand. "So, where am I again?" I asked again.

"Well, what do you see, and then tell me where you are." The guy instructed. He sounded like the little papers in the fortune cookies.

"Well, I see her and..." I paused. "I'm at a house. Her house. Right?"

"Correct." The girl came out and sat on the couch and asked, "So, what's your name kid?"

"El..." I was about to say, "I mean Sean, but you can call me Emo."

"Cool."

"What's your name?" I asked back.

"It's Zacherie, but Zach for short."

"Well that's a weird name for a girl." I commented.

"Yeah. I changed my name 'cause I didn't like my real name."

"What was your real name?" I asked curiously.

"It was Andrea. But I didn't like it, so I changed it."

"Why did you change it? It's pretty."

"Yeah right." She snorted, "So, you said you had another name, right?" This time she grinned. I don't know why everyone is afraid of her, she was so happy and nice.

"No, I didn't." I responded. I knew she was onto me. 'Cause I really do have another name, which is my real name. "When did I say that?" I questioned curious to know where she got the idea from.

"Well, I heard you say 'El' but you didn't say anything, then you said 'I mean Sean', so that must mean you have another name. So...?"

"I don't." I said trying not to seem so guilty.

"Okay, sure." She said sarcastically. "So, where do you live?"

I felt a sudden chill run down my spine. I really didn't want to go home. My mom is probably still at work and my dad on a long business trip in Chicago, so no one was really ever home. And I don't like being alone at home. It's a little scary where I live. Gruggies living next doo, and across the street a crack house! Crazy neighborhood, "Actually, can I crash here for tonight?" I asked. "It's friday anyway, and my mom and dad are probably not even home." I explained biting down on my lip.

"Uh, sure. I'll go grab some sheets and you can sleep here on the couch. Or do you prefer a bed?" She asked getting up off her chair.

"I'll just sleep on the couch tonight, I don't mind."

"Okay," and she walked toward the hall closet, opened the wooden door, and took out a jet black sheet and a fuzzy, lime-green blanket. "Hey bro, do you want the room tonight?" She asked her, I assume, brother who was still eating cookies, sitting on another chair next to the couch.

"Yeah, sure." He said shoving another cookie into his mouth. "Wait, you two will be out here alone?" He asked suspiciously.

"We're not going to do anything stupid, Jackson." She said shaking her head.

"Okay, I will give you responsibility, just promise you won't..." Then he was cut off by Zach.

"We won't. Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a dirty needle in my eye." She said making an 'X' over her heart and smiling. Then she giggled softly. Her giggle was cute. I liked it. It wasn't too manly, nor too girly. Just perfect.

"Okay." Jackson yawned, "I'm gonna go to sleep in the room, but I expect you not to do anything stupid. So, keep you promise." He said getting up and streching his arms and legs letting out a big sigh and walking toward a dark, dim room at the end of the hall.

Then, Zach brought over, now, two black sheets and two blankets. One was lime-green and fuzzy (the one before) and fuzzy, the other was tie-dye and flat.

"Which ones do you want?" And she held up the sheets in her left hand and the blankets in her right hand.

I tapped my chin with my fingers as if I was making a very hard and important decision. I mean, it was important. Isn't sleeping comfortably important? "That one." I pointed to the fuzzy, lime-green blanket. Tehn, she handed me the blanket and a black sheet.
Sign up to rate and review this story