Categories > Original > Fantasy > Into The Jaws of Hell

The Location

by Natwadge 0 Reviews

This is the main location.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Characters:  - Published: 2009/03/06 - Updated: 2009/03/07 - 1306 words

<<
>>
ONE
Abney Park Cemetery is an eerie, tranquil Victorian Gothic graveyard. General Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army, is buried here. It was originally laid out in 1840 as one of a group of new burial grounds designed to relieve pressure on over-crowded churchyards. It is noted for its mature woodland, rich in wildlife. In it's heyday it boasted 2,500 varieties of shrubs and 1,000 types of roses. The cemetery was abandoned by the Abney Park Cemetery Company over twenty-five years ago, and became badly neglected. It has since been taken over by a charitable trust which has done much improvement work. The trust is seeking funding to restore the chapel. The cemetery extends over thirty-two acres on a slope running down from an ancient ridge-way track, now Stoke Newington Street, to the course of Hackney Brook. The site was for 150 years, occupied by the grounds of two large 17th century houses, Fleetwood House and Abney House, both long demolished.
The roar of traffic is a distant memory when you chance upon the white marble lion in Hackney's woodland haven, Abney Park. Dedicated to Frank C Bostock, this monument is one of many revelations in this eerie Victorian cemetery. At its zenith, the cemetery eclipsed the Royal Park at Kew, with 2,500 different species. The effect was to make Abney Park a tourist attraction from the outset. Abney Park was unusual at the time, in that it was expressly a place for nonconformists (persons who rejected ceremonial and liturgy of the Church of England, instead worshiping in Methodist, Baptist, Congregationalists, Wesleyan and other chapels.) Many Quakers and Salvationists groups lived in the area. As one of only two key places for the burial of nonconformists in the capital, the cemetery offers a fascinating insight into the history of London's dissenting families.
Architectural historians have sometimes been dismissive towards Abney Park for it has just one mausoleum. However, the park's relative sobriety is a reflection of its uniquely puritan tradition. In its quiet demeanor, it still boasts dozens of well-proportioned monuments.
The ornamental ironwork, along an Egyptian theme, over the Church Street entrance came from the entrance to Abney House, named after Lady Mary Abney, who retired here in the early 1700's with her daughters and their tutor and chaplain, Dr Isaac Watts. He was a well-known dissenter, who lived in the area for many years and was famous for his compositions of hymns and sermons. The hieroglyphs over the lodges read, “The Gates of the Abode of the Mortal Park of Man”. They have recently been complimented by a formal courtyard fronting on to the High Street, and a cobbled carriageway leading to a novel sundial set in a circle of paving. Also found in Abney Park are wonderful Celtic crosses, austere Welsh Slate memorials to members of the London Welsh community, and a vast statue of Isaac Watts.
There is also a War Memorial commemorating local people who fell on active service in the two World Wars. A smaller Civilian War Memorial was raised in memory of local people who died as a result of enemy air bombardment during World War II. It particularly commemorated twenty people killed by the bombing in flats in nearby Coronation Avenue. Another small monument includes a marble police helmet, and recalls the heroism of a local policeman killed whilst on duty in Tottenham.
The cemeteries chapel, in fine Gothic style, was part of the original installation of Abney Park. The imposing spire retains much of its original cladding, but today the chapel is a sad shell, home to a population of pigeons. The cemetery was abandoned by Abney Park Cemetery Company over twenty-five years ago, and was bought by the London Borough of Hackney. The fortunate result of neglect allowed the cemetery to develop into an urban forest; the unfortunate result was a considerable amount of unchecked vandalism plus damage to fallen trees.
It is also teaming with vampires.

´╗┐ONE
Abney Park Cemetery is an eerie, tranquil Victorian Gothic graveyard. General Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army, is buried here. It was originally laid out in 1840 as one of a group of new burial grounds designed to relieve pressure on over-crowded churchyards. It is noted for its mature woodland, rich in wildlife. In it's heyday it boasted 2,500 varieties of shrubs and 1,000 types of roses. The cemetery was abandoned by the Abney Park Cemetery Company over twenty-five years ago, and became badly neglected. It has since been taken over by a charitable trust which has done much improvement work. The trust is seeking funding to restore the chapel. The cemetery extends over thirty-two acres on a slope running down from an ancient ridge-way track, now Stoke Newington Street, to the course of Hackney Brook. The site was for 150 years, occupied by the grounds of two large 17th century houses, Fleetwood House and Abney House, both long demolished.
The roar of traffic is a distant memory when you chance upon the white marble lion in Hackney's woodland haven, Abney Park. Dedicated to Frank C Bostock, this monument is one of many revelations in this eerie Victorian cemetery. At its zenith, the cemetery eclipsed the Royal Park at Kew, with 2,500 different species. The effect was to make Abney Park a tourist attraction from the outset. Abney Park was unusual at the time, in that it was expressly a place for nonconformists (persons who rejected ceremonial and liturgy of the Church of England, instead worshiping in Methodist, Baptist, Congregationalists, Wesleyan and other chapels.) Many Quakers and Salvationists groups lived in the area. As one of only two key places for the burial of nonconformists in the capital, the cemetery offers a fascinating insight into the history of London's dissenting families.
Architectural historians have sometimes been dismissive towards Abney Park for it has just one mausoleum. However, the park's relative sobriety is a reflection of its uniquely puritan tradition. In its quiet demeanor, it still boasts dozens of well-proportioned monuments.
The ornamental ironwork, along an Egyptian theme, over the Church Street entrance came from the entrance to Abney House, named after Lady Mary Abney, who retired here in the early 1700's with her daughters and their tutor and chaplain, Dr Isaac Watts. He was a well-known dissenter, who lived in the area for many years and was famous for his compositions of hymns and sermons. The hieroglyphs over the lodges read, “The Gates of the Abode of the Mortal Park of Man”. They have recently been complimented by a formal courtyard fronting on to the High Street, and a cobbled carriageway leading to a novel sundial set in a circle of paving. Also found in Abney Park are wonderful Celtic crosses, austere Welsh Slate memorials to members of the London Welsh community, and a vast statue of Isaac Watts.
There is also a War Memorial commemorating local people who fell on active service in the two World Wars. A smaller Civilian War Memorial was raised in memory of local people who died as a result of enemy air bombardment during World War II. It particularly commemorated twenty people killed by the bombing in flats in nearby Coronation Avenue. Another small monument includes a marble police helmet, and recalls the heroism of a local policeman killed whilst on duty in Tottenham.
The cemeteries chapel, in fine Gothic style, was part of the original installation of Abney Park. The imposing spire retains much of its original cladding, but today the chapel is a sad shell, home to a population of pigeons. The cemetery was abandoned by Abney Park Cemetery Company over twenty-five years ago, and was bought by the London Borough of Hackney. The fortunate result of neglect allowed the cemetery to develop into an urban forest; the unfortunate result was a considerable amount of unchecked vandalism plus damage to fallen trees.
It is also teaming with vampires.
<<
>>
Log in to rate and review this story

Log in!




Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.
0

 

Featured Story

Site Stats

  • Authors: 645762
  • Stories: 40943

Recent Stories