Categories > Original > Fantasy > Into The Jaws of Hell

Paige

by Natwadge 0 reviews

A new hunter of skill.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2009-03-06 - Updated: 2009-03-07 - 1629 words

0Unrated
NINE
The old church, otherwise known as St. Paul's Cathedral, is quite impressive. The roof reaches up three-hundred-sixty-five feet to the cross at its summit. It was inspired by St. Peter's Basilica in Rome and built on Portland stone. Throughout the years this church has been attacked and survived through several bombings. Not to mention theft that took almost all of the artifacts. Behind it is a cemetery housing over 200 memorials, and the tomb of Winston Churchill. The church is still being restored to this day. Right now the church is as silent as the graves behind it. I go around the building where I find a small – at least smaller compared to the church – house. It looks out of place behind the church because its windows have wood shutters. The door is gray with a simple Celtic cross hanging on it. The cross has a protection spell etched on the front in Latin. Knowing the Council, I bet a spell has been placed on every cross, protecting them from harm. Even Alden has his crosses magically protected.
I walk up to the door and knock softly. If they're home I don't want to surprise them. Especially knowing Paige.
There are no sounds coming from inside except for a steady ticking. However, that doesn't mean they're not home. Even though she's tall Paige is very sneaky, and even Dessell is trained for espionage. I just hope they don't attack me.
“Paige, it's Vala! I need your help,” I call.
Paige and I met when I was called to a bordello. Inside I found humans being used as willing sacrifices. The vampires were either turning them or killing them. Paige was being drained slowly from the wrist like a twisted blood transfusion. After I cleared out the place she was half dead. I took her to Griff who found her some help. Unfortunately Paige had no interest in being helped. Somehow, despite being weak she managed to get a hold of his weapons and held Griffon hostage. It took several hours to get him released. Alden was ultimately the one who saved them both. The Council rehabilitated her and gave her a purpose to live. They made her a hunter.
That was two years ago.
No human has ever gotten the jump on me. My hearing is more acute than others. So when Paige comes up behind me I manage to sidestep a kick, while simultaneously grabbing her wrist and pinning it to her side. We both smile companionably. She relaxes and I release her wrist.
“Sorry I didn't answer the door. Dessell had me in the cemetery doing drills,” she says.
Paige is about three inches taller than me. She's got the whole Gothic look down. Her hair reaches her shoulders in an auburn curl. There is a Celtic cross around her neck, below a dark red choker. Her clothes are all black, which helps her fade into the night like a phantom. It looks like she got skinnier since I last saw her. She also seems stronger, her body more sinewy. The wall she put up seems to have been torn down. Her green eyes are both innocent and hard at the same time. Even therapy doesn't totally erase the past.
“That's no problem,” I shrug. “You're looking good.”
She smiles blushingly and fingers her cross. “Thanks.”
Dessell takes that moment to appear from behind Paige. It is uncanny how much he looks like my father. They both have the same blue eyes and wayward smile. I only met Dessell once, very briefly. He seems like a good guy. “Hello again Vala. What can we do for you?”
I stop smiling. “I don't know if you're aware of what is happening recently, but there is a battle coming. The vampire Ambrose is assembling a team of demons and vampires to steal my soul. I've already started putting my own team together. Rowena and her group are going to help. Unfortunately we don't know how many he's sending, and since we have to prepare for battle I can't send any of us out. So I'm gonna need Paige to do some snooping for us,” I explain.
Paige has a look of pure joy. The same look I got when mom took me on my first hunt.
Dessell asks, “What do you require in this snooping?”
I answer honestly. “I'm in the dark right now. Ambrose has been very bold, which means he's getting desperate. The bastard is entering my dreams. Last night he sent a demon to collect my blood. If I want to destroy them I need to know how many minions he's sending after me.” My emotions are raising my blood pressure. A headache is not far behind. If I want to focus I need to control my anger. I take a deep breath. “I just need Paige to observe the mausoleum and get a count, or at least an idea or what their planning. Anything that could prove useful.”
Paige looks at Dessell expectantly. “I could use the practice,” she says as a statement of fact.
Dessell still appears apprehensive about letting Paige into the lions den. No hunter has ever gone into Ambrose's territory. Especially when we don't bring other hunters with us. If she goes it is possible she might not return.
I decide to push a little. “We can send some weapons with her in case she runs into any trouble.”
Paige nods vigorously.
“I'm sure she can do this,” I answer.
He mumbles, “I have faith in her too.” He points a finger in her face and orders, “Don't do anything stupid. If you can remain unseen and only fight if absolutely necessary. I want you back here if at all possible.”
Paige nods emphatically. “Absolutely.”
Finally something is going right. “If you're gonna go we had better leave now,” I say urgently.
Paige heads inside the shack and returns after a moment, with a stake and a vile of holy water, which she places in a hidden leg pocket. We travel around back and she shows me an underground passage hidden behind fake bushes. Inside it smells of rosemary incense. Paige leads the way down stone stairs. She knows the way by heart. I follow using my acute vision. Soon we are deep into the bowels.
Paige whispers in the dark, “We should reach your cemetery in a few moments.”
“Ambrose's lair is about five miles underneath the mausoleum. Keep a look out for the deumus.” I describe the deumus in detail, including how it moved around me. “We don't need another hunter in trouble. Once you find enough info, leave. You got that?” I demand leaving no room for discussion.
I see her flinch before answering. “Okay, no problem.”
We reach another staircase leading up to the statue of Dr. Issac Watts; this staircase is illuminated. We walk up and I show her in which direction the mausoleum is located. Before she heads off, true to my word, I equip her with two more weapons. I stay behind and Paige continues on ahead. When I lose sight of her I catch sight of Rowena with a bag slung over her shoulder. She smiles at me and we walk inside Chambers. Griff comes over, followed by Elir and Kaal. We take a seat up at the booth and Rowena lays the items in her bag on the counter. She explains their use to me while gradually the girls begin arriving.
When we're all settled Griffon brings out the weapons. We equip each of the girls with a dagger, a stake, and a blessed talisman. The boys each get a short bladed sword, a stake, and they supply the magic. I have more weapons on me than they do, including a dagger, stake, holy water, a talisman, potions, and a few other items. Always come over-armed.
I really wish I could give the girls more time to prepare since they all seem so nervous. While we wait for Paige to return I am going to train the girls with their daggers, while Griffon trains the boys in sword fighting. Maybe together we can lesson the tension.
When Rowena concludes her editorial, I address everyone. “We still have to wait for Paige to return. So I would like to take this time to go over fencing techniques.” I turn to Griffon who nods in approval. “Elir and Kaal, you follow Griff to the back, and I will stay with the girls. Learn everything you can. We don't have very much time so we'll stick with the basics. Rowena will start making potions and let us know when Paige returns.” I make everyone is on the same page before we separate.
Alden taught me about both swords and daggers. I've used both short and long-bladed swords. Even my mother used bladed weapons at times. Thalia was very talented. Like me she excelled at everything she did. I say a quick prayer for Paige and then start my fencing lessons.
These girls are remarkable. Jade and Diandra both learn quickly and are extremely agile. I only have to show them a move once. Valea could use a little help handling the blade for face-to-face combat. Rowena takes a moment to give her a hand while I have Azahna and Shaea spar with the sisters. So far everything is going great. I'm pretty sure the boys are doing just as well, especially with Griffon teaching them.
Paige has a talent for fighting, but only enough experience of vampires to do minimal damage. That's why I sent her for information instead of enlisting her help to fight. I just hope that Paige can find something useful. Then maybe, just maybe, we can get rid of Ambrose permanently.
Sign up to rate and review this story