Categories > Movies > High School Musical

The Small Town Gas Station

by jillrenay 2 reviews

Vanessa Hudgens, Zac Efron

Category: High School Musical - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Humor,Romance - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2009-03-07 - Updated: 2009-03-08 - 12398 words - Complete

3Original
Gas Station Love

She wasn't far from the border, she could tell but she was running low on gas and knew she had to stop soon. Ten more miles and she would be in Mexico - her vacation spot of choice. It was away from stress and had sun and relaxation painted all over the place....or at least she hoped it did. Two weeks vacation was exactly what she needed. No cameras, no sisters, no father constantly asking where she was, and most of all, no annoying friends who were only your friend because of your name. See, Vanessa just wasn't anyone - she was the eldest daughter of a Fortune 500 Mogul and constantly in the spotlight. People were waiting for her to screw up but she just made up her mind and wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of that. That was her youngest sister's area anyway.

Seeing the next exit just up ahead, Vanessa slid her car to the side and ventured down the barren road until she saw the lonely gas station store located just about in the middle of nowhere. Letting her car, not the newest or brightest, but definitely reliable by her standards, slow down next to quite possibly the oldest pump in the nation, she heard the ding echo in the tiny shop, not even noticing the attendant coming up behind her and the convertible top, wiping his hands on a greasy towel.

"Are ya lost?"

Vanessa whipped her head around to see his face blocking the sun and his eyes staring back down at her intently. "Um...."

"Yeah, highway's two miles down the road sweetheart," he was not impressed and pointed back down the road for her convenience.

"I need gas! Kind of almost empty here!"

---

He chuckled. “Well, first you open the little lid on the side of the car, see this one right here? Then, you --”

She sighed loudly as she realized he was teasing her. “I know how to do this, I’ve done it before.” she said in a matter-of-factly tone.

He held up his hands in surrender and began to head back towards the store.

Vanessa waited right next to her car until the tank was filled and then, unwillingly, trudged towards the door the attendant had just entered. As it flew open and the bell dinged, she saw it was quite dirty and dusty. “Ew, do you ever clean this place?”

“Don’t got the time,” he said with a smirk.

“Whatever. Here you go,” she handed him the money and he put it in the cash register, keeping his eyes on her the entire time. As soon as he handed her the change, she walked out of the store faster than he could ask her for her name.

Back on the road, now, and she had already forgotten the whole rendezvous with the young man at the gas station. Well, not completely forgotten. She had to admit, he was kind of cute. In a country hillbilly kind of way. But those eyes….Suddenly the car jerked to a stop and smoke began to come out from underneath.

“What the…” she muttered under her breath. She pulled out her cell phone only to find that she had no service in this place…wherever this place was. “Great. Just great.”

She leaned her head against the wheel and closed her eyes. Until she heard something. Turning around, she saw an old beat up truck driving her way. In the driver’s seat, she could barely make out somebody who looked very familiar. This was going to be an interesting vacation.
---

She groaned, placing her head on the steering wheel and refusing to look up as she heard the footsteps on the dirt road coming near her and a chuckle escaping his being. "Go away," she grunted, hoping this was all a scary nightmare and she could wake up anytime soon....but then she wouldn't ever get to Mexico.

"Kind of can't. It's a flaw of mine. Can't let a girl sit on the side of the road in a car that won't run, wallow in self pity."

"I'm not wallowing in self pity!"

"Look, you can either sit out here and try and figure out a way to start this thing on your own, or you can come with me, get fed and I can fix your car for the morning so you can leave. Your choice. I'll be in that thing over there," he pointed back to his own truck, which was more or less a piece of junk by her standards.

But, it was running. And he was offering. Letting out another sigh, Vanessa got out of her own car, sliding the keys in her bag and grabbing the duffel bag in the back seat. There was no way she was leaving that bag in the car. The others in the trunk, she could care less about. "You know, this really is a piece of junk."

"Don't judge a book by it's cover, miss. Get on in," he waved her in, holding onto the bags she threw at him. "And I'm Zac."

"Vanessa," she paused as she caught onto his gaze again. Damn, those were blue eyes. "And thanks."

---

They drove for a while, down the long, dirt highway. Nobody else was on the road, and for a second there, it seemed they were the only two left on the planet.
“So, Vanessa,” he began. “Where ya headed to?”

“Mexico.”

“Visiting someone?” he asked, curiosity clearly in his voice.
“It’s just a vacation,” she replied with a mile wide smirk on her face. He nodded, and they fell into a silence again.

After a few minutes, they arrived at the gas station. “Umm…aren’t we going to your place?” she asked, shifting uncomfortably in her seat.

“This is my place. I live in the back.” He exited the car and took her duffel bag with him. She frowned, hating the fact that she would have to waste a day of her vacation time to spend it with some unknown guy in some unknown place. At least, she hoped it was a day. It could be longer if the car didn’t fix immediately. She shuddered at the possibility.
“Vanessa, you planning on leaving the car any time soon?” She had zoned out for a second and was awakened by his voice.

Blushing, she opened the door, departed the car, and walked into the store.

“Gimme a second, and I’ll have lunch on the table,” he told her, and disappeared behind a curtain in the back. She was left alone in the great pile of junk he called a store.
Sighing loudly, she whispered to herself. “I cannot wait until I get my car fixed.”

---
He disappeared into his kitchen - which was a mess still - something he set aside to yell at his brother for. He knew there was never a good reason to let Dylan stay with him while he was on a road trip of his own. "How do you feel about meat?" Zac yelled back behind him only to her a shuffle on the floor of her feet. "I've got turkey, ham, bolonge, the works," he jumped back a few feet as he turned, not expecting her to be there right behind him.

"Did I scare you?" She chuckled and moved forward to look inside his fridge with him.

"Just a bit, yea. What's your poison?" Zac moved back as she moved in, looking at his jam-packed fridge filled with every delicacy known to her and him alike. He wasn't really open into letting customers back in his place, but she was just a bit different. She had this air about her - spunky, sassy and sure as hell sexy.

"Yooo hooo, Zac," a bag of meat waved in front of his face, snapping him back from staring at her legs....which were too sexy for this town.

"Sorry, yea, turkey. Love this stuff. Come on," He ushered her over to that table and quickly made two sandwiches that Dagwood would be jealous of. "How's that look?"

"Like something my grandfather would inhale," she smiled and let her hand barely brush his as he slide the plate over to her. "He likes his sandwiches, so much that I think that's where my Dad got his weight from instead of the beer. Thanks."

"You're welcome."

"How long do you think my car will take to get fixed?" she asked suddenly, the sandwich not even barely in her hands.

"Depends on what's wrong with it," he told her as he swallowed the bite he just took. "Listen, after this, I'll go get it and I can move Old Man Massey's heap out of the way and get to working on it right away. That way you can get to Mexico sooner."

"Heap?"

"I'll show you later. It really is a heap. Makes mine look like a Porsche."

---

“So, what do you do for a living?” he inquired.

“I’m still in school. I’ll probably go into the family business once I finish,”

“And any particular reason you chose Mexico for a vacation spot?”

“I’ve seen pictures, and it’s beautiful. Besides, I’ve never been.”

“Where are you from?”

“Is this some kind of newspaper interview?” she suddenly asked, a grin spreading throughout her face.

He blushed, and then realized that he had been coming down kind of hard on her. “Sorry. You can ask me the questions, if you want,”

“All right. How long have you owned this store?”

“My dad got it from his grandfather, and I got it from him. I’ve been working here since I could walk.”

She nodded, and they both finished their sandwiches. He picked up the plates and put them in the sink.

“Ok, I’m gonna go ahead and bring your car over here and we’ll find out what’s wrong. I’ll just hook it up to my truck and bring it over. Wanna come with me?”

There was nothing else she could do. Plus, another 5 minutes staring into those eyes couldn’t hurt. “Sure,” She followed him outside, where the sun had begun to set and a slight breeze blew. He stared at her, walking gracefully towards his car. Her curls flew in the wind and she looked so peaceful.

“Zac, you gonna get in the car or not?” she giggled, teasing him. That was the second time she had caught him staring at her.

“Pull it together Zac!” he whispered to himself. What he didn’t notice was that she had been staring at him too.

---


They arrived back a half hour later, both a little sweaty from bringing her car back from outside and on the open road. Unhooking the chains from Vanessa's car and letting it gently down off of his own built in tow truck. Vanessa swiveled her way over by Zac's side, not realizing how close she really was. As he turned back around they were a little closer than they should be in normal situations, his hips right against hers...clearing her throat, she blushed and looked away as he just chuckled and moved to unhook her car completely.

"Okay, let's take a look..." Zac popped the hood, to take a look around and was greeted with something so simple yet so complicated that if he was lucky and Vanessa didn't know anything about cars - could keep her here for days. Great, Zac, he thought to himself, you just met the girl and already wanting to trap her here. That's a way to get the girl. "Well...um..."

"What is it? Can you fix it? How quickly? Oh and how much?" Questions came left and right about the status of her car.

"Relax, and hand me that wrench," Zac pointed to the tool right by her hand.

"Which one?"

"That one."

"There's two, Zac."

"No, there's just..." he looked again to see one in her hand and one still on the bench next to her. "Trying to be smart, huh? How long you wanna be here again?" he started to tease.

"Okay, okay, fix my baby," she handed the wrench in her hand and it seemed like forever until it was in his as he stared at her mouth twitching and noticeably took a step towards her. The sun still shone bright outside and made the garage even hotter.

"Your baby?"

"Yea, um...what are you doing?" Vanessa watched as he set the wrench aside for a moment and started to peel off his shirt - revealing his well toned abs that her fingers wanted and needed to touch. They were twitching.

"Taking off my shirt. I work better that way. You don't mind do you?" He looked back at her, holding back his wink until he saw her lick her lips a moment after.

"No," she took a deep breath in and gulped, "whatever floats your boat."


---


He slowly began to work on the car. Within minutes he was finished. But a thought occurred to him. He could pretend he needed to work on it more, couldn’t he? That would buy him a few more days with her. He almost slapped himself for thinking these thoughts. “You can’t keep her prisoner,” he whispered, not intending for her to here.


“Did you say something?” she asked, looking up from the celebrity magazine she was reading.


“Uhh no.” he quickly said. Then again, it could be nice to have someone with him for a while. He rarely got visitors, living so far away from civilization. But, what if she found out the truth? What if she discovered his lying? As he faced this inner battle with himself, he didn’t notice that Vanessa wasn’t reading the magazine at all. Instead, she was watching how his back muscles flexed as he held onto the wrench. She sighed dreamily.


“Excuse me?” he said, turning around.


“Ummm…” she blushed. “What I meant to say was…how does it look?”


This was it. The moment when he could tell the truth. But, his inner romantic got the best of him. “Not good. I don’t think I can fix it alone. I have a friend who’s a mechanic and I’ll call him up to come tomorrow.” He wiped his hands on his jeans and began heading towards the store.


“Wait…where am I supposed to stay?!” she asked, following him.


He turned around. “Here. With me.”


She stared into his cobalt eyes for a moment. Finally, he broke the stare, and went into the store. Normally, she would have been furious. But, surprisingly, she was kind of glad.

---


Vanessa pulled her long hair back into a ponytail and peered over Zac's shoulder, interesting in what exactly he could cook that smelt so good. "Come on, give me a hint..." she whined as he spun just a bit so she would have to walk around him again.

"Sorry, gonna have to wait," he smiled and raised the pot higher above him so she couldn't reach.

"Come on, what is that? And how many other hidden talents do you have?"

"Are you that interested in me?" He raised his eyebrow as she backed up and took a seat on the stool and he placed the pot back on the stove. Vanessa didn't say a word, just folded her arms together and impatiently waited for whatever he was cooking to be done so she could devour it. "You gotta learn how to cook when you don't live with your mom. You won't survive if you don't."

"So your Mom basically taught you everything you know?" she raised her eyebrow as he neared her with a plate of whatever he was cooking that was still a mystery to her.

"In a nutshell, yes. Eat, drink, be merry..."

She was about to come back with a wisecrack comment when her cell phone rang and she went to grab it. Seeing who it was only made her not want to answer it even more and she didn't. Tossing it over and back on her bag, she turned back to Zac who was even more than curious now.

"Boyfriend calling to check up on you?"

"Boyfriend? Me? Yea right."

"So, no boyfriend? Hmmm, interesting."

"You, Gas Station Guy, are kind of peculiar."

"But you like peculiar," he told her, as she locked her eyes with his again. It seemed to be something they were doing a lot - heated gazes, eye sex as she can see her friend Ashley calling it. But Zac wasn't wrong, she did like it.

"I do and I can think of something else I like too..."


---

“Really? And what’s that?” he asked, nearing close to her. Suddenly, the kitchen got a few degrees hotter.

“I like…to eat!” she said, and before he knew what was happening, she had grabbed the plate that was in his hands and inhaled whatever was in it. It turned out to be macaroni and cheese. “I love mac and cheese!” she giggled and began to dig in. He got himself a plate of it too and they both began eating silently.

After a while, he asked her a question. “So, who was that who called you?”


“No one,” she said.


“You sure?”


“How did you make this food so fast?” she said, clearly wanting to avoid the questions as much as possible.


He blushed, realizing she didn’t want to talk about whoever had called. “I’m sorry,” he said, looking down at his plate.


She sighed. The caller had been her ex boyfriend, Mitchell. They had been together for almost a year when she ended things. It just didn’t feel right with him. It didn’t feel real. They remained friends but he checked up on her way to often. It became annoying at times. “It’s not your fault. I’m pretty curious about you too.”


“Like, what about?”


“Like…how’s a hot guy like you living out here all alone?” She immediately regretted saying the words when she saw his huge smirk.


“You think I’m hot?”

“I didn’t say that.”


“Yes you did.”


She turned a bright red.


“It’s ok,” he comforted. “You’re not so bad yourself.”


“Not so bad? I’m just not so bad?” She flicked a spoonful of macaroni at him.


“Oh. It’s on now!” he threw a glob of cheese at her and it landed on her forehead.


“Zac!” They were now engaged in a full on food fight.


“All right, all right,” he finally said, surrendering. “You’re not just ‘not so bad’. You’re beautiful.”


She stopped giggling at his words and dropped the spoon on the floor.

---

Vanessa stared back at the guy standing very close to her and her heartbeat quickened as he stepped forward and brushed the pieces of macaroni from her hair. "You...you what?"

"You're beautiful, simple as that," he winked at her, his hand staying in place on the top of her head as it slowly ran down her profile. His fingers gently brushed her skin for a moment before he backed away, not wanting to do anything yet. "Even with macaroni in your hair."

"You didn't get it all out?" Vanessa's hands brushed all over her hair as a few noodles made it to the ground. "I think next time we have a food fight, we do it without cheese. It's kind of sticky," she pulled out a noodle with a strand of her hair attached to the cheese.

"Next time?"

"Well, considering you make more food and we argue a bit, which we seem to do a lot."

"We do, but we're also not complaining," he caught her attention again, and moved the pots on the stove to the sink, ready to do the dishes before going up to take a shower himself and show Vanessa where she would be crashing for the night.

Vanessa was caught off guard with his on and off switch. She wanted him to do more, maybe try to hold her hand, even attempt to kiss her...but hey, she was all about making the first move right? No, wait, that was her sister again. Maybe this was a time to change it around. Following Zac around the island in the kitchen, she stood silent behind him, staring at his dirty white t-shirt that he was sure as hell sexy in. "Your shirt is dirty," she mentioned, barely audible.

"Huh?" Zac looked from side to side and then finally found her as she cuaght a piece of the fabric in her hands.

"Your shirt is dirty."

"Um, yea. I go through about three a day. They're now black and gray. Nothing new," he turned around on the spot and felt her hands at his hips, barely grazing them. "Vanessa..."

"You don't know who I am, Zac, and I like that. I like you not knowing who my family is and I like stepping outside the mold of what they made me. So, I'm stepping out now and I'm being someone else."

"Vanessa, I have no clue what you are talking about..."

"So, stop me from talking," she looked up at him with open eyes, loving the feeling she was feeling as his hands cupped her face and she could feel him pulling her towards him. Who knew a broken car could lead to a kitchen romance....
---

They neared close to each other, noses touching, lips less than a centimeter apart. She could feel his hot breath on her lips. “Vanessa,”

“Shhh…” She didn’t want any more talking, arguing, waiting. She just wanted to bask in the silence right now, memorizing every moment. Finally, he closed the space between them. She was surprised, considering he seemed like he wanted to back out. But, now that they were kissing, there was no turning back. She deepened the kiss, inviting herself into his mouth. He didn’t object. Her hands left his hips and encircled his neck, and he held on to her waist, as if he would never let go.

She wished she could’ve stayed like that, kissing him, forever. But she was running out of air. She pulled away, breathless.

“Wow.” was all he said.

“Yeah. Wow.” she whispered back.

And right then and there, nothing else mattered. As she stared into his eyes, she completely forgot everything else that had been in her mind. Right then and there, it was just the two of them. She closed her eyes in happiness. It had been a long day.

“You tired?” he asked.

She nodded.

His hands left her waist and one of them took one of hers. They walked upstairs and he showed her the spare bedroom.

---


"It's been a long day," she murmured as they ascended the staircase that had every creak in it known to man. Vanessa could only look up at him as they walked together. She was still wondering - what the kiss meant, if anything to him and to her. It was amazing and completely took her breath away, something totally different to every other kiss in her life. As they approached the door, Zac let go of her hand for a minute to open it and revealed a very casual, but of so comfortable living space. Complete with a queen sized bed and bathroom of it's own, Vanessa looked around and then back to him just as quickly as he set her one bag she had brought in from her car earlier that afternoon. "Thanks, Zac."

"You're welcome," he said, clearing his throat right after and watched as she immediately discarded her shoes. He never quite understood the point of fashionable shoes that would only lead to back problems. But hey, whatever she wanted to wear - that wasn't up to him. If he had any say, she'd be in nothing and in his bed. Dammit, Zac! he slapped his forehead just a little too loud and opened his eyes to see her giggling at him.

"Do you always smack yourself in the forehead like that?"

"Daily ritual. Okay, so I'm just down the hall if you need anything. And Vanessa, I mean anything, at all," his hand found her bare shoulder as she had just taken off her hoodie and thrown it on the bed. His fingers grazed her perfectly tinted skin and he felt her move into his frame, her hands melting over his still shirt clad body. "Tell me to leave Vanessa..."

"I can't," she whispered, as his forehead kissed her own. "How can just one kiss turn us absolutely insane?"

"I kind of like the feeling," he admitted, chuckling and dipping his head to kiss once again. Lips burned and tongues tangled - a kiss that was sort of like a movie kiss - passionate, fiery, steamy and big screen worthy all at once. Her arms weaved up his shoulders to around his neck as he moved into her and pulled her closer than she could get. Breaking away breathlessly, "I won't be able to stop," he told her in a husky voice.

"I don't want you too."
---
He went back to kissing her, with all the passion he could muster, and she replied. He wondered how on earth he had gotten so lucky to have her stop at his gas station. Then he remembered the lie he had told her, about her car. Now that he looked back, it was the stupidest thing he had ever done. He couldn’t keep kissing her. He pulled away, leaving her with a confused look on her face.

“Did I do something wrong?” she asked. This boy had more up’s and down’s than her favorite roller coaster back home.


“No,” he sighed. “Not at all. It’s just --”


“It’s just what Zac? One minute you’re all over me and the next you’re avoiding me. I don’t know what you want.”


His heart broke as she said those words. There had to be a way he stop feeling like he had betrayed her. And there was. He wasn’t going to let some stupid lie come between them. “Vanessa, I need to tell you something…”

---

"Tell me what?" She inquired, walking back towards him as he almost tripped on a box on the floor. "I don't get it, don't you want me?"

"Vanessa, that's not even a question. I do want you, so bad, but your car....I lied to you," he spoke in all honesty, turning around to meet her gaze as she pulled her hair out of the elastic band it had previously been in. He let himself get lost in how the curls fell over top her shoulders just so...damn why did she have to be so damn irresistible?

"I know," she bluntly said, still standing as if waiting for him to do something else.

"I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't....wait, what? You know?"

"Zac, I'm not your typical have-a-flat-tire-on-the-side-of-the-road-so-a-hot-guy-can-pick-you-up-girl. I do know my way around cars and I know that you can fix my car very easily," she said matter of factly as she sank to the bed, her legs dangling over the side and her hands running over the quilted side the blanket made by his grandmother.

"So, you knew...and you're okay with this?"

"If I wasn't, you'd know it," she turned to see him walking towards her. "I'm just as guilty as you though. I lied too....sort of."

"Sort of?"

"The phone call? Was an ex-boyfriend but now just a friend. He's super protective now and just a pain in the ass. I always try to avoid his calls anyway."

"So where does this leave us?" He asked, debating in his head whether or not to just jump her right there and then. Reaching to place his hand atop hers, he felt her squeeze his skin gently.

"I don't know, but I think we should stop talking."

---

She yawned and stretched out her arms.


“You’re tired,” he told her.


“Just a little,” she said, closing her eyes. She moved up towards the pillows and lay down, patting the covers next to her as if beckoning him to join her. He lay down next to her and began to stare at the ceiling.

“I just want you to know,” he began. “That you can stay as long as you like. I understand you have your vacation and all, and I don’t want to get in the way of that, but if you’d like, you can stay. And I’m not begging you or anything, I just…you can do whatever makes you happy.”


He looked over at her only to find that she had dozed off. He smiled as he looked at her peaceful expression. Being as quiet as possible, he got up from the bed, covered her with the quilt, and kissed her lightly on her forehead. “Goodnight Vanessa,” he whispered. He left the room, turning off the lights, and was about to close the door when --


“Wait,” he heard her say. He looked back at her; her eyes were still closed. “Stay here, please.”


“Only if you want me to.”

“I do.”


He smiled again and walked over to the bed, laying down next to her. She cuddled up close to him, feeling his warmth.


“Goodnight Vanessa,” he said again.


“Night Zac.”


---
"Okay, hand me the 3/4," Zac said, wiping his brow as he attempted to repair Vanessa's engine while she was next to him and rubbing up against him to see what exactly he was doing to her baby. She reached across the way and grabbed for the greasy tool. Dressed in one of his old shirts for a good reason, she slid it into his hand and let it linger a little longer than most. "Thank you," he quickly said, feeling her long hair brush over him quickly at the base of his neck.

"Okay, so tell me what you just did," she waved her hand in front of him, as he tightened the bolt to hold the piece of her engine together.

"I tightened a bolt."

"No, all of it. I know it has something to do with my oil thing, forgot it's name, but that's as far as it goes."

"I thought you said you knew about this stuff," he started to tease and looked back at her, slipping the wrench back on the towel that never moved from his garage.

"I never said I knew everything," she poked her tongue back at him.

"Oooo, nice," he turned back around for a moment, brushing off the oil cap and engine. "Go start it up, see if I worked some magic."

Vanessa rolled her eyes and walked herself back to the wheel, pushing her keys in and starting it up with ease. "It runs!" she yelled from within, and ran right back out, leaping into his arms. She didn't care if he was full of grease or not. "It runs!"

He smiled into her own, surprised at her leap, but didn't refuse it. "It runs," he echoed, trying to hide the fact that his heart was nearly beating out of chest into hers. "Told ya it would."

She gasped, sliding out of his arms and hitting him in the chest. "You did not!"

"Yea I did, right after breakfast this morning. You just didn't hear me."

Vanessa didn't have an argument back for him, at a loss for words. But she did know she wanted to get him back. Looking to her side, she reached out for the first thing she saw - a can of oil. Sticking her finger shortly in it, she let her finger ride down his nose and wiped it off on his shirt. "Did not."

He looked at her and she knew what she just started. Wiping a bit of the oil off of his nose, he returned the favor and blackened her own. "Games on."
---

“Ugh!!” she giggled in delight. Who knew getting so messy could be so much fun? She then stuck her whole hand inside the can and smothered it against his hair.


“Van!!” He began to chase her around the garage.


“You can’t catch me!!” she taunted, like a 4 year old on a playground.


“You’re so gonna pay for this!!” he threatened, making her giggle even more. Finally, he caught up to her, grabbing her waist and spinning her around.


“Zac!! Let go!”


“And what if I don’t want to?”


She freed one of her hands from his grip and grasped the nearest object she could find, which happened to be the coke he had been drinking. She dumped the brown liquid on his head. “Vanessa!” She took the opportunity to escape and ran into the store, hiding behind the front counter. All was quiet. She sat there for a moment, holding her breath, hoping he wouldn’t find her. Just when she thought she was safe -- “BOO!!” His head popped out from the other side of the counter.


“Zachary! You scared the crap outta me!”


She stood up, and went up to him.


“You win.” he told her.


“I always win.”


“Oh really?”


“Yep. So what’s my prize?”


“Oh you want a prize now?” he teased.


“Yeah…and I can think of something I’d like.”


“And what’s that?”


She leaned in towards his ear and whispered seductively, “Wanna take a shower with me?”

---


The first thing off the both of their bodies were their shirts. Flown into the corner of the bathroom attached to his own room, they left them there as he pulled her into the streaming waterfall with their lower halves still covered. Vanessa turned away from him so her back was facing him as he stepped forward slowly. He didn't know why he was so nervous, but being with her was different. He watched her hands go to unclasp the back of her bra and she flinched when he took over and broke the two ends apart, letting the piece of fabric slide gently down her skin. He dipped his head and kissed her skin, teasing her all the same with his tongue as she turned back around again and melted into his frame. Kissing him fully on his own lips, her hands followed her heart, unclasping the snaps and pushing them down his hips as fast as she could.

His own hands were not helpless either, undressing her as well. Zac backed her up into the corner of the tiled space and lifted her up so her legs wrapped around his waist. "Shower was a good idea," he muffled into her neck, kissing and sucking as she gasped and their heartbeats sped up together.

"Definitely," she was breathless, her legs losing their hold as they locked gazes. "Zac..." she started to plead, her hands gripping his shoulders to steady herself.

"Only if you're sure..." he drifted off as her lips attacked his own. He didn't need any other confirmation except for that.

Sliding into her, she muffled her scream and kissed him again. The feeling was more than wonderful and Vanessa kept moaning as they joined together. Their breathing was rapid and they could only think that it was a good thing Zac locked the store doors before they went upstairs. This was going to be an all nighter.

---

She probably would’ve slept till lunch time, but the curtain was open and the sunshine woke her up. She turned around a little. Last night had been amazing but she was exhausted now. She needed more sleep. He had already been awake, and was watching her.

“You all right?” he asked, caressing her arm.

She smiled at him. “Yeah.”
He pulled her gently into his arms and together they just lay there, basking in each other’s presence, neither one having any intention of leaving any time soon. Then, her phone rang. He got up to pick it up from the dresser but she pulled him back towards the bed.

“Leave it.”

He frowned slightly at her. “It could be something important.”

She shook her head, already knowing who it was. “I’ll call back.”
He nodded and lay down next to her once again. She kissed his cheek.

“Listen, I want to show you something.” he began.
“What’s that?” she inquired.

“Well, I can’t tell you – I want it to be a surprise. But, let’s get some breakfast and then I’ll take you there.”
“Ok,” she agreed.
---


"You can't be serious!" Vanessa stood in front of the mode of transportation that Zac had in mind for their drive. It wasn't fancy or anything and it still needed work, but it was running and his hand was attached to the smaller helmet for her to place on her head for safety. "No."

"Only way out there. You can come with me or stay here and run my store, your choice," he raised his eyebrows, helmet already on his own head and pulled the motorcycle up on his body, ready for her to jump on any minute.

"Tough choice. You think I could run a store, I never really done that before," Vanessa started to back up and flee back to the inside of his gas station and garage when he pulled her back, placing the helmet on her head gently. "I guess you win. This time."

"I've already won," he winked, slipping her a kiss as he fastened the two strips together. "Come on, get on."

Vanessa wrapped her leg over the motorcycle, sliding in close to him, her hands wrapping around his abdomen, feeling the chiseled abs that her hands had loved feeling and became acquainted with. Hearing the sound of the tiny engine again, Vanessa held on tighter as Zac sped off, straight in the direction that her destination had once been. The wind flew through her hair and Zac looked back briefly, seeing her eyes close in pure pleasure of the nature that surrounded her. The small town was not big, in fact, if you blinked once you would enter and exit Main street just like that. But it was home, at least for him, it was. It would never be for Vanessa, he thought.

"When do we get there?" He heard her murmur as she laid her cheek against his back.

"Almost there, just a few more miles," he said, turning his head back to speed up more. The cops around here knew him and he knew them more than that. They were always at Sue's - the diner in town, never doing their jobs which is why he always got away with speeding on his cycle. Plus, it always helped that he was the only mechanic in town. Slowing down once he saw the bend and Old Man Massey's acreage.

"It's beautiful out here..." she murmured, watching over his shoulder as a long fence came beside them and disappeared just like that. Looking to the side, Vanessa caught sight of the wild mustangs riding along with them. "Wow...."

Zac slowed down his speed as they reached the cottage on the bitter end of Massey's property. Letting the cycle die out and taking off his helmet, he shook his head from side to side and looked back at her. "Come on, this is where I want to take you," he grabbed for her hand and pulled her off the seat. Hopefully this would be just as good as Mexico.
---

She removed her helmet and sat it down on the motorcycle. She could honestly say she had no idea where on earth they were and what they were here to do. Holding onto his hand, she walked towards the cottage with him. Zac opened the door and let her step inside first.

The rustic smell of wood filled her nostrils as she inhaled. Looking around her, she saw the quaint insides of the small house. It was the perfect picture of a small country home. “This is where I grew up.” he told her. “I didn’t live here but I spent almost all my spare time here with friends. Mr. Massey was like a second father to me.”

She nodded, honored that he would share something as sentimental as this with her. “It’s so cozy in here.” she whispered, and sat on the couch, tired after the ride.

The walls were flooded with pictures of young children fishing, cooking, playing, and laughing. “There’s something else I want to show you.”

She stood up and he led her outside to the backyard of the cottage. There was a stable there, with horses inside it. “You ever ridden a horse before?”

She giggled. “No, but I’d never ridden a motorcycle before either.”

He smiled. “It’s really fun - I think you’ll like it.”

---

Vanessa stepped back as the horses, all five of them, made themselves known to the two of them. She wasn't used to this at all. Her world consisted of a metropolis - buildings upon buildings upon skyscrapers filled with corporate lawyers and businessmen/women that made it possible for her to go to Brown on a full ride. This, was, a culture shock for her and Zac, even only knowing her for a few days, sensed this right away as she stayed close to him as they neared the stable that his favorite horse was making the loudest noise.

"I hear ya, I hear ya buddy, settle down," he reached out to Carson and touched him gently, his hand sliding down and over top the horse's head. "Vanessa," he pulled her nearer to him, "meet Carson," he guided her hand to Carson's mane, watching her settle down as Carson did as well.

"He's yours?"

"All five are," he took a deep breath, resisting the urge to kiss her because he knew if he did, all would be lost and that horse ride would be lost. And he really wanted to show her how to ride. "Meet Carson, Jazz, Crystal, Gemma and Max," he pointed out the horses to her. Gemma, the paint horse that he had just bought over the last few months, making sounds that one would only associate with excitement. "And Gemma already likes you."

She giggled, stepping towards the splattered black and white horse, hesitating before brushing her gently on her own mane. "I like her too."

Zac smiled as Vanessa warmed up to Gemma and even Crystal, in the stall beside her. Feeling Carson nudge him in the side, he looked over and chuckled. "I know, she's hot." Glancing around, he already noticed that Old Man Massey's nephew had already fed the Fantastic Five, as he liked to refer to them as, for the day. Closing the space between, Zac kissed Crystal's nose and looked over at Vanessa again. "How about a ride?"

"Sure, why not? I'm all about 'in the moment' these days. Can I claim Gemma?"

"She's all yours," he winked, kissing her lips quickly as he went to get the lock to their stalls. The Fantastic Five were also known for escaping the dungeons. He slipped into her stall and pulling Vanessa with him, "But first, you've gotta learn..."

"Learn what?"

"How to put a saddle on her."

"I hope you know how to do that," she looked at him skeptically.

"Would we be here if I didn't? Go get that blanket on the wall there and I'll show you."

---

“That was probably the funnest thing I’ve done in a long time!” Vanessa announced, collapsing on the couch.


“I’m glad you liked it,” Zac said, settling down next to her.


“I’m serious!” she continued, full of excitement. “The wind blowing through your hair, the feeling like you’re the only one in the whole world. I felt like I was flying! And Gemma is the cutest horse ever!”


Zac smiled at her. He recalled his first time on a horse, and remembered the feeling she was experiencing.


Suddenly her expression became solemn, but still happy. She took his hand in hers. “I’m really glad you shared all of this with me Zac. It was really nice of you.”


“No problem - it was my pleasure. Now, we better get going if we wanna beat that storm.” While they had been riding, Zac had noticed the storm clouds gathering in the sky. They both put on their jackets and headed outside towards the motorcycle when suddenly a thunderclap boomed across the land.

“Zac…”


The two stared at the now dark gray sky. It would start pouring any minute now. “It’s definitely not safe to ride in the rain.” Zac said. “So, I guess we’re stuck here for the night.” He beckoned her back into the cottage and Vanessa sat on the couch again, slightly shivering from being outside in the cool breeze.


“Let me start a fire.” He got some of the spare logs by the fireplace and soon the room was nice and warm. She smiled at how cute he was when he took care of her. Sitting back next to her, he let her rest her head on his shoulder. “You hungry? I should probably make some dinner.” He got up to go to the kitchen but she pulled him back down.


“I don’t want to eat.” she whispered, and pulled him into a passionate kiss.

---

He collapsed on the floor next to her, sweating beads from the two hour activity that was just endured and most definitely enjoyed. The fire was still ablaze and making them hotter, crackling next to his ear, he glanced over and back to the girl with the hair sprawled all over the soft floor beneath the two. Propping himself back up on his elbow, he let his fingertips tease her shoulder and he chuckled as she flinched a little. Bestowing a soft kiss on the salty skin, Zac felt her eyes open and on him again but that didn't stop him from kissing down her arm and up again, over to her neck.

She moaned in pleasure, never really feeling this way before. It was amazing how he could make her feel like this - even with just one look from him, she was lost and didn't need anything else to steady her. "So," she gasped as he nipped at the place just above her breast and he looked up at her, "do you have any other talents I should know about?"

"Talents?"

"Yeah, Mr. Horse Whisperer, Mechanic God and Amazing Lover, no other talents?" she giggled as his body hovered over hers again. He kissed her passionately, her arms and hands latching onto him and never wanting to let go. She brushed his side with her hand, hinting for him to pleasure her once again but he wasn't giving her anything. She moaned again as he teased her lips and his hands fluttered over her body more, caressing sensitive spots and enticing senses she didn't know were there. "Zac...."

"Amazing Lover? You think I'm an amazing lover?"

"Well, compared to the others I've had..." she giggled, her eyes still closed as his lips wandered down her body and sucked what he could. "Oh my God...."

"How many others?" he wondered, still wandering down her body that was picture perfect to him, lingering just a little too long for good measure on her stomach.

She attempted to sit up but he stopped her before she could. Grabbing both of her hands, he laid her back on the floor and locked their eyes together. Kissing her lips ever so softly, he whispered, "Just let me love you," and kissed her again, intertwining their fingers together as they joined again; their bodies melding and moving together as one.

"Okay," she murmured, fading into the kisses he was giving her.


---
She awoke hours later, sprawled out on the floor. He had covered her with a soft blanket during the night and she smiled at the thought of him doing so. The big window next to where she was laying showed a beautiful rainbow which could only have been formed after 10 truckloads of rain. Glancing at the clock on the wall, she saw it was 6:00 am. She felt the floor next to her, searching for his body with her arms, but he wasn’t there.

“Zac?” she called out, suddenly feeling very alone in the small cottage.


“In here,” he answered. A wave of relief spilled over. She stood up, wrapping herself with the blanket, and walked over to the kitchen wear she had heard his voice. He was cooking.


“I suppose I should add Five-Star Cook to your list of talents too, no?” she teased him.


He smiled and put the contents of the pan onto a plate and handed it to her.


“This smells delicious,” she told him, looking hungrily at the eggs and bacon. Neither of them had eaten since breakfast the day before.


He quickly made some eggs for himself and they both went out to the patio to eat. “We have to leave this place someday you know,” he joked.


“It’s so nice and peaceful, though. I could spend all day just sitting here, watching the horses run around.”


He nodded. “But, we need to get back. I can’t keep the store closed forever and you…”


“I what?”


“What happened to your vacation?”


She sighed. These past few days had been like heaven and she didn’t really want to leave. But, she had to get back to the real world some time, right?
---

She sat in the kitchen silently as he left her alone to deal with another customer that was having some of the same car troubles as her, or so it seemed. Looking down at her phone, she glanced at the number of missed calls and knew that if she didn't call her sisters, father, mother or even Mitchell back, she wouldn't hear the end of it for centuries. Holding the compact, all in one phone to her ear after she speed dialed Mitchell, she waited for a minute before he answered.

"Stranger!"

"Hey, you rang? Several times. Actually, 15 Times."

"What can I say? I was worried."

"I left five days ago, Mitchell, five days. That is not enough time for you to be worried about me."

"Yes it is. I have more rights than your Dad to be worried. So, how's Mexico?" he asked, knowing all too well that she wasn't there yet

"I'm not even there yet. I got kind of," she peaked outside to the garage where Zac was finishing up a transaction with a local boy not older than 18, "distracted."

"Okay, how hot is he?"

"What?"

"I know you better than anyone, Vanessa. How hot is he?"

"Very," she sighed, knowing how much Mitchell was right. "Now give me motivation to actually go to Mexico because I need a reason."

"Sunshine, heat, the music, your cousin who is waiting on you."

"Not good enough."

"Not good enough? Damn, you got it bad for this guy. Is he better than I was?"

"Do you really want me to answer that question?" she popped back and asked him, slipping onto the stool again and looking at the resort's proposal in front of her. She had been on her way to Mexico not only for vacation but to step right into corporate America herself - financing, planning and running an Atlantis-like resort in the heart of the country. And Zac had made her forget all about it; on how much she didn't want to be anywhere else but here - with him. But she had to go - wanted to get the resort up and running before her father out-bested her.

"I'll take that as a yes. But V, you have to go. Charla called yesterday about where you were. I have never heard Stella talk so much about you in my life."

"I know," she paused, sensing Zac's presence in the doorway. "You still have the financials with you? Like all of them?"

"Yea. I'll fax them down there tomorrow."

"Thanks Mitchell. I'll call you when I get there - really get there." With that she pressed the end button and watched him round the island in the kitchen and shut the folder she was once looking at.

"So, when do you really get there?" He took a bottle of water from the fridge and started to drink it.

"I don't know," she whispered. "Honestly? You've made me not want to be anywhere else but here."


---


“Then stay,” he said so calmly, as if he was telling her the weather.


“Stay?! I can’t just stay! I have to go to Mexico, and work, and then I have my family, and…” she trailed off, holding her head in her hands. She began to pace the room.


“Then….leave.” he said.


She stopped pacing and stared at him, mouth agape. “What?”


He set down the water bottle and walked towards her, taking her hands in is own. “Look, Vanessa. I’m not gonna pressure you to do anything you don’t want to. These past few days have been amazing, but I realize you have other things to take care of.”

She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “You don’t want me to stay?”


“Of course I want you to stay. But, if you wanna leave, I’m not gonna be the one keeping you down. It’s your decision.”


She sighed sadly. She had been expecting something else, something more. She needed a really good reason to stay here and spend forever with him, doing nothing but enjoying each others company. Right now, she didn’t know if that was going to happen. Taking a deep breath, she quietly said “I think I need more than that. I think I need something big.” She looked down at her feet, not sure if that made any sense, but apparently he understood.


“I don’t know if I can give you that.” he said miserably.


She nodded, trying to force herself not to cry but the tears fell down anyways. “Ok,” she whispered. “Let me just pack my things.” She turned away from him, not wanting him to see her so vulnerable and open. But he had already seen and came from behind to hug her.


“No, Zac.” she said, pushing him away gently. It killed him to see her treat him that way.

---

She was outside, leaning against her car, the evening breeze blowing through her hair, making her shiver slightly. He was busy with a customer but she waited. She wasn’t going to leave without saying goodbye. Soon, the customer left the store, and he followed shortly after. He walked towards her, a smirk on his face. What she couldn’t see was the sadness underneath it. He came up to her and took her hands.


“I guess this is goodbye.”


“Yeah,” she nodded. She had promised herself she wouldn’t cry again but she couldn’t help it.


“Van, please don’t,” he begged, wiping away some of her tears.


“I’m fine,” she gave a weak smile. She kissed him on the cheek, wanting more than anything to kiss him on the lips, but didn’t feel it was right. Getting into the driver’s seat, she looked at him one last time. “Bye, Zac.” she whispered, loud enough for him to hear. She began to drive off, into the sunset. Everything that had happened in the last 5 days, was now gone. Every moment, every hug, every kiss. This couldn’t be happening.


“Vanessa, wait!” he yelled, running towards the car. Luckily, the windows were opened, so she heard him and screeched to a halt.


Looking her in the eye through the open window, he gave her exactly what she needed. “How’s this for a reason?” he asked her. “I love you.”
---

Vanessa got out of the car, still staring at him. This was definitely something big. "That's big."

"I know. You needed something big."

"Zac, if you're saying that just to make me stay..."

"I'm not," he moved closer and pulled her into his arms, not breaking his eye contact with her. "I love you. I'm not just saying that to make you stay because I know you need to go and open that resort. I'm saying that because I need you to know. I have never felt this way about anyone and I am so scared that I fell to fast and losing you. I don't think I've ever felt this way about anyone in my life. Anyone who can bond with Gemma and Crystal is definitely someone to hang on to."

Her eyes were crystal clear, the tears still holding up and holding on so she wouldn't cry in front of him. She looked down for a moment, regaining her breath and back up into his cerulean eyes that were piercing into hers. "This is big," she whispered again.

"I know. And you don't have to say anything back, I'm not expecting anything fr...." Zac was cut off by her lips on his and he didn't resist them. Instead, he pulled her closer, feeling up her body to cup her face and let her know just how much he wanted her to stay with him.

Vanessa pulled back, gasping for air and watched as his eyes fluttered back open. "I think I love you too."

"Think?" he asked, resting his head against hers and leaning her back on the side of the car that was still running. She giggled - he loved it when she giggled. "One more day. Stay one more day and then go."

"I'll come back to you, you know," she reminded him as he pulled out of her arms and took her by the hand, taking her to the other side of car. Opening the car door, he kissed her softly before she slid in.

He ran back to the other side, slipping into the driver's seat and pulling the car back around, heading straight for his store. "Always?"

She reached over and grabbed his hand, squeezing and making him turn to catch her eye as he pulled her car next to his motorcycle on the side of the garage. "Always."



---


“Zac! You coming?” Vanessa called from his bedroom. They had just finished dinner and he was in the bathroom. She sat on the bed, clad in pajama shorts and one of his shirts with a huge smile on her face. She couldn’t even begin to explain how happy she had been today. She had gone from heartbroken to luckiest-girl-in-the-world. All just because of 3 words. But those 3 words meant the world to her.

“Almost done!” he called from the shower.


Still smiling, she stood up and looked around the room. She had never really taken a good look at it, because they had always been busy with “other activities”. But, now that she saw it, it was actually very homey. There were pictures on the wall and on the dresser and there was a soft, hand-made rug on the floor. Looking at the older pictures, she saw a young boy who looked very familiar, with piercing blue eyes and shaggy hair. Then a thought occurred to her. She had just said ‘I love you’ to a man she barely knew anything about. Sure, she knew he could cook, and ride a horse, and fix a car. But, what was his favorite color? And how many brothers or sisters did he have?


“What’cha lookin at?” he asked as he emerged from the shower, with only a towel around his waist.


She spun around. “What’s your favorite color?” she suddenly asked.


He walked to his drawer and pulled out a pair of boxers. “Umm...random much?”


She took a deep breath. “Let’s be honest Zac. We’ve spent a lot of time together and it has been amazing but…I don’t know the essentials.”


“The essentials? My favorite color is essential?” he teased.


“Zaaaaccc…”


“All right,” he gave in. After putting on his boxers and a t-shirt, they both lay down in the bed. “My favorite color is blue. What else?”


She snuggled close next to him. “Ummm…what’s your favorite sport?”


“Well, me and my dad and brothers used to go to the park and play baseball when I was younger. But, now I’d have to say it’s basketball.”


“Favorite food?”


“Macaroni and cheese.” he said with a smirk. She giggled.


“Thanks for doing this, Zac.” she said and gave him a kiss on the cheek.


“Anything for you.”

---


He kissed her temple pulling her closer in his arms as they pulled the blankets over their bodies. "And what about you?"

"Hmmm?" She mumbled into his side with her eyes shut. She was tired, he could tell. This was an eventful day, to say the least.

Kissing her temple again and then her forehead, he asked her again. "You - favorite color, middle name, siblings, sport, food? I want to know it all." His hand caressed her bare arm and he saw her smile into his frame. He was serious too, he wasn't about to let her go so easily. Not without a hell of a fight.

"Red. Anne. Stella, Maria and Tia. Dance, and yes that's a sport. Macaroni & Cheese is high on my list right now too," her eyes fluttered open slightly as Zac pulled her closer than she was before, as if that was possible. "That answer everything?" she took a step forward and kissed his cheek teasingly.

"It's a start," he laughed as she moved onto his lap, her shorts riding up her silky thighs that were calling his hands to them. Brushing them ever so slightly and wandering further down her body, he watched her hands find their own way over his; her fingertips playing with the rim of his boxers. "Hidden Talents?" he whispered, his lips attacking her neck.

"Except for building million dollar resorts?" she asked, getting breathless from his touch as she gently stroked him. "Nothing much."

"I could beg to differ with that," his hands slid her top up and off her body, exposing her pristine skin to him once again. Finding their way to draw circles on her back, he pulled her closer again, kissing her fully as her arms slid around his body as well. Zac sat up straight, kissing her still on her face, lips, any skin he could get his lips on he kissed. He knew were this was leading and wasn't against it in the least. He wanted to love her - to make love to her. It wasn't just sex anymore; it was so much more. "Vanessa," he murmured breathlessly as he slithered into her with ease.

"Don't," she gasped, feeling him move inside her and matching the rhythm, "stop." Vanessa kissed him, her arms still around his neck as she leaned him against the headboard and took over the rhythm.

"You either," his hand weaved it's way through her curls as he continued his kisses over her face. The night was theirs to have.

~~~

"I think that's it," Vanessa looked inside her car, thinking that she was leaving with more than she came with, but it didn't really matter. Zac had wanted her to be safe and have all that she needed at her side and she could definitely say that. Turning back around, it took him all of two seconds to envelope her in his arms, not wanting to let her go. They had known each other for a week, at most, and both felt like they couldn't live without one another. "I have to go sometime, you know," she giggled into his being, smelling his scent so she wouldn't have to miss it so much.

"I know," he stroked her hair as he pulled away softly. "Twenty minutes to the highway and a left when you get there. Do you have everything?" he asked for the fortieth time since the time they managed to get themselves out of bed this morning.

"Pretty sure. And if not, an extra thing to come back to," she winked, leaning in to give him a longing kiss. "I'm coming back."

"You better," he smiled into her lips, capturing them again.

"Always."

---

She arrived around lunch time, and grateful too, because she was starving, even with the king-sized breakfast Zac had made her this morning. She smiled remembering last night. It was going to be a long few weeks. Right when she pulled up to the parking lot of the hotel, her cousin came running out to her.

“NESSA! I’ve missed you so much! You’ve gotten prettier since I last saw you!”

Vanessa blushed. Charla was always feeding her compliments.

“Look at you! You look exhausted! We need to get some meat on your bones!”

Although Charla was only 5 years older than Vanessa, she often took on a motherly role when they were together. Charla helped her with the luggage and they entered the hotel, which was still slightly under renovation. They were planning on opening in 3 weeks, and were just putting on last minute touches on all the paper work. “It looks really good,” Vanessa commented as she glanced around at the spacey lobby.

“I’m so glad you’re here to help me. Those corporate men freak me out!”

They both giggled.

“So, you’ll be sharing the penthouse with me. Oh, we have sooo much to talk about! But first, tell me about this boy.”

Vanessa immediately blushed. “What boy?”

“Oh come on. First, your 1 week late in your arrival. Second, Mitchell calls me and tells me your head over heels in love with --”

“Mitchell called you!”

Charla giggled. “No worries, I called him and asked him why you were so late and he told me. So, spill.”

Vanessa sighed. “Let’s go eat first. Then, I’ll tell you everything.”

---

"I so call dibs on the maid of honor spot," Charla laughed as the two stepped off the elevator to go to the penthouse. "I want more details though - was he good? And by good, I mean good good?" her cousin wiggled her eyebrows as they entered the suite and Vanessa rollled her eyes at her. Charla had been talking non-stop about her gas station guy for the past two weeks and as much as she loved talking and discussing him, she wanted to get this work done so she could go back to him. She missed him more than she thought possible. Even with the nightly phone calls, she missed him being right next to her - his touch, his voice, his laugh, his eyes....everything. She missed everything about him.

"Okay, way too early for the wedding talk. I may love the guy but marriage is not in sight right now. And once again - fifty millionth time - he's amazing."

"But details? Girl, I gave you all of mine and Alex's...."

"Which I didn't want to know," Vanessa pointed out rather quickly and crashing on the sofa, pulling out her cell phone and searching for his number.

"But, come on. I need something..." Charla ragged on as Vanessa poked out her tongue and listened to the ring in her ear. It was ringing and that all that mattered. "But just imagine Nessa, we could have it here - in that ballroom! It would be so beautiful!"

"Helloooooo Beautiful!" his cheery voice answered the call and she smiled immediately.

"You always answer the phone like that?"

"Only when the most beautiful woman in the world is calling," he replied as she heard snickers behind him.

"You are so cheesy."

"I don't hear you complaining."

"I'm not. Who's there? I hear snickering just like yours."

"The younger brother who's annoying the hell out of me," he said to her as she watched Charla answer the door where one of the contractor's had come up to them. "But now, I am upstairs and away from him and his insane habits. How are you?"

"Other than wishing I was there? Fine. I'm ready for it to be Thursday so I can come back to you. Do you miss me?"

"You have no idea..." he said, lying back on the soft bed and his hand waving over the spot she once occupied. "No idea."

"Two more days and I'll be yours."

"Everything all set up? I mean, I'm not getting those 'Die Charla Die' calls anymore. Those were entertaining."

"Almost done. I still have those moments though. She's already taking weddings at this place! And Zac, she wants more details!"

"Details? About what?"

"Us. She's worse than Mitchell."

"And what exactly did you tell them? Hmmm?"

"Oh, just the normal. You know - how you're rough with your hands and sloppy with the kisses. The stuff everyone tells everyone," she giggled, getting up from the sofa and relocating to the room that she claimed after she got here. "I'm so not giving her the juicy good stuff."

"Good. Because you haven't even witnessed that yet," he teased.

"I haven't huh?"

"Nope. You just get here as fast as you can and I promise you, you'll get it."

"I can't wait."

---

Still smiling, he hung up the phone and just sat there for a minute, staring off into space, dreaming about her. “Man, you are so whipped!” his younger brother teased. The smile disappeared as he realized that Dylan was still there.

“Shut up,”

But Dylan continued. “Next thing you know, you’ll be whispering her name in your sleep.”

Zac chuckled. “I probably already do.”

They both laughed. “I can’t believe you are head over heels in love with this girl and I haven’t even met her. Don’t I have some sort of say in these things?”

“Dylan, my personal life is none of your business. And don’t worry, you’ll meet her soon enough.”

“Wait, she’s coming back?”

“Of course she is.”

“Sweet,” Dylan chuckled while rubbing his hands together. “You and her can go on a double date with me and Aly.”

“Um, negative. But, you’ll definitely meet her.”

---

“Got everything?”

“Yep.”

“Good.” Charla closed the trunk of the car. “Thanks for helping me with this.”

“No problem! It was fun hanging out with you again,” Vanessa smiled and pulled Charla into a hug.

“Call me when you get there, kay?”

Vanessa nodded. “I promise.” After embracing one more time, Vanessa got in the car and left. She dug through her purse which was seated next to her on the passenger’s seat. Pulling out her phone, she hit speed dial.

“Hey Beautiful! What’s up?”

“I’m coming.”

---

"Dylan! Can you get your crap like out of the way so I can actually walk through my house?" Zac yelled, almost tripping over his brother's crap in the middle of the hallway upsatirs after just getting out of the shower. With the towel still wrapped around his waist, he kicked the stuff to the side, hoping that something would slip and fall down the stairs to hit his brother in the face. It was only fair - the perfect payback for making him work right after he showered to get the garage gunk off his body so Vanessa wouldn't be appalled by him....then again, they could always take another shower together. He would not be opposed to that. "Dylan!"

"I heard ya!"

"You gonna come up or not!?"

"Not!"

"Why?" Zac asked and didn't hear a reply back until a smaller and softer hand touched his back. Twitching into his smile, he immediately knew who's hand it was. "Okay, Dyl, don't take this the wrong way but if you want to really get with Aly, you're gonna have to beef up there."

"I'm sure your brother would love to hear that," her voice whispered closer to his ear, her fingertips teased him across the top of his towel, threatening - well, not really- to discard it with a tug anywhere.

"And I'm sure he would take the advice too. Don't you?"

"Don't know. Haven't met him. Took the back way in," she rounded around him, slipping into his arms and kissing his skin along the way.

He took her in, pulling her close and pushing back her light coat she still had on her upper body. She was glistening, the soft pink of her top whispering against her skin as he dipped his head and kissed her neck ever so softly. Her moan echoed the gesture as his lips traveled up to her lips and her jacket hit the floor with a soft thud. "God, I missed you," he murmured against her lips as she pulled him back in, returning the kiss with heated passion. "So," kiss - a little longer this time, "much," he said breathlessly.

"Because I'm helping Massey!" they both heard Dylan yell back from upstairs and stopped their kiss, breaking into big smiles and laughed with each other.

"One second, beautiful," he kissed her nose quickly and walked back outside his room for a minute, "OKAY!" He turned back around just as quickly and shut the door with his foot, scooping her up in his arms again and heading straight to the bed. He kissed her wildly, his hands weaving through her hair as she moved her arms and hands down his wet torso to let the towel go.

Letting the towel fly over to the other side of the room, Vanessa broke away from the kiss, looking straight into his eyes, "I missed you too."

His goofy smile came out to play and he kissed her again, his hands reached for her belt. He honestly, did not care if Dylan was downstairs or not - she was back and in his arms. That's all that mattered.
Sign up to rate and review this story