Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > FAQing Hostile: The Sword and the Sheath

Author's Notes

by MarkPoa 0 reviews

Where the author spouts off... not necessary reading. Think of it as a DVD extra.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor, Parody, Sci-fi - Published: 2006-03-28 - Updated: 2006-03-28 - 537 words

0Unrated
Author's Notes:

Thanks go to John Evans and ravi duvvuri for the prereading help and advice on first person writing. Additional thanks go to Tempest, Sharyna Tran, Clint Milton, and Isawa Noshinto for further prereading. Thanks also go to the FAQing Hostile ML for being there and bearing with my constant postings.

Thanks to the reader for making it this far.

First, let me tell you a brief history of this omake. (Better grab a drink and some snacks while you're at it. This might take a while. ^_^;)

As I noted in the chapters themselves, this is part of a larger story. FAQing Hostile is a round-robin series hosted in Improfanfic (http://www.improfanfic.com ) about a post-apocalyptic future, a tribe of anime otakus, and Madmax-like shenanigans.

I had this omake first written way back in May 2000. Due to complications and advice from several people I look up to when it comes to writing, I decided to reevaluate my first-person writing style... Actually, that's putting it mildly. The first draft was a bit horrendous, in my estimation.

So, I decided against having this posted and wanted to revise it a bit. You know how it goes... procrastination can make the time zip by. What was intended to be released before the 20th chapter of FAQing is posted, was posted before the series ended (sometime in 2003).

Anyhoo, this omake was more of an experiment for me. One, to practice writing first person. Two, to try to write a chapter with a little bit of lime. And three, to write first person from a female's perspective (I don't know why. It sounded like a good idea at the time...). I could only hope I pulled them off well.

Kenishi and Arashi were two minor characters I introduced in FAQing Hostile chapter 4. I was disappointed that they weren't used much in the beginning chapters. But then again, I just dumped them into the story without elaborating on their personalities and traits. So I got the idea to write their adventures. That way, they get to be the major characters!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Er, ahem. ^_^ Anyway, for those interested to know, Kenishi was originally based on Rurouni Kenshin characters (as if his scar and name weren't dead giveaways ^_~). This duology title was also partially inspired by the Rurouni Kenshin OAVs.

Arashi's character was a mix between a kunoichi and a Kasumi (Ranma 1/2) clone. I wanted the character to be a sweet girl with an edge. When a writer named Assassin used the character in a flashback in one of his FAQing chapters, I was delighted that Arashi's kunoichi persona managed to be highlighted, even if I didn't make that facet of her character clear when I introduced her.

Who is the Sword and who is the Sheath? I'm leaving it to the readers to figure that one out.

Another influence which might be noticeable in the second chapter is the PS game Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. What? You didn't think I actually studied or researched ninjitsu, did you? Most of the ninja physics and weapons used here were based on that GREAT game.

If you made it this far into my author's notes, I really really thank you for bearing with me.

Mark Poa
Sign up to rate and review this story