Categories > Original > Drama > Karin: Enter the D'Amphile

The Bat is Your Friend!

by paladin313 0 reviews

Jean-Claude makes a case for bats to the school, and a potential danger emerges.

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2009-05-09 - Updated: 2009-05-10 - 5802 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter IX



Having someone else up in the morning with you was something that Karin always dreamed about. However, there was a bit of adjustment that had to be made. They both had accidentally stumbled in on each other getting ready for class in their underwear, conflicted on schedule, and such like. Eventually, Jean-Claude started to get up one hour earlier than Karin, just to avoid conflict. This turned to Karin’s advantage, because Jean-Claude turned out to be a decent cook, and had breakfast ready for her when she awoke. This saved her time in the morning, and because of the regularity that Jean-Claude established, she now had a routine that allowed her to not have to rush anymore. If it came to that, because Jean-Claude woke up her abilities, she knew how to get it done with haste. For Jean-Claude, his bon vivant approach to life took on a whole new notch. He now had a stable family that accepted him for who he was, and had someplace where he had a haven from hateful eyes. By this point, his band now had Maki at drums, and they had picked up a percussionist, a keyboard man, and a bass. However, they still needed a lead. They suggested that Jean-Claude just do the power guitar thing, but he said that, for some of the songs that he wanted to do, he needed to move about on the instruments, so an extra guitar was needed. He did not know what he was going to do for that.



That evening, however, would turn out to be interesting. For the first time, in the family room, he noticed the organ. It had been covered up, because no one knew how to play it. When he discovered it, he was all abuzz. “This is great!” he exclaimed, “I can play this thing. It has a whole rack of foot keys, and everything!”

He looked it over, switched it on, and played around with it a bit. “It still works!” he said happily, “How long have you had it?”

“It’s been here ever since we’ve been here,” said Calera, “James knew how to play it. But since he’s been out of the picture, it’s just sat.”

“Do you mind if I try something?” he asked.

“I suppose not,” she said, “as long as you can play it. Some people try, and it is so annoying when they plunk around on it.”

“That’s because they do not play it like a musical instrument,” said Jean-Claude, “they play it like it’s a machine. Give a listen to this.”

While all this was going on, Maki was upstairs with Karin doing some homework. (By this point, Maki knew well what she was, mainly because of the events of the previous year.) As they continued their studies, suddenly they heard the sounds of an organ wafting through the floorboards. It was quiet enough at first, but then, he hit some power chords and made them jump two feet off the floor. They got up and went to investigate, and came into the family room, where everyone, (except for Ren, who was not often around the home,) who had not been in there came in to see what was going on. Jean-Claude was playing Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor, and playing it with some relish. Even Elda was impressed, and even wiped away a tear or two, saying, “James would have loved you.”

“From you, Grande dame,” he said, “That is a high compliment.”

“You know,” said Maki, “I’ve always thought of organ music as creepy, and in horror pictures and haunted houses…” and she stopped herself, not just because everyone was staring at her, but also because she remembered that some would consider the whole Marker residence to be what she just described. All she could do is give a quiet, “I’m sorry,” and tried to make herself very small. Jean-Claude, to take the edge off it, said, “Well, here is an example of lively music.”

With that, he ripped into the Gigue in Fugue in G major, also by Bach, and that seemed to help make things more festive. “You play very nicely, big brother,” said Anjou, “I wish I could play something.”

“Wow, kid,” said Maki, “You sure drop hints subtly, don’t you?” with a sarcastic tone. “Corn Muffin,” he said to Anjou, (his nickname for her,) “How would you like to learn guitar?”

She curled a small smile, and said, “Can you teach me?”

“It would be an honor,” he said, “Tomorrow, I should be clear with my studies, so we can get started then, okay?”

“Thank you,” she said very quietly. Karin said, “Speaking of studies, we need to get back to our own. Get the chips and soda; we have our English lessons to tend to.”

“I’ll be right up to help, if you want,” said Jean-Claude.

“We’d love it!” they said, and he excused himself. Anjou excused herself by saying, “And I need to check on brother Ren,” which was her way of saying that she was going to feed. By the lifestyle that he led, it was always easy to find jealous people around. Elda said, “How would you like Grandmamma to come with you tonight?”

“I would love it,” she said, and they left.

That left Calera and Henry. She then asked him, “So, have you spoken to the council?”

“Yes,” he said, “and at first, they were not too keen on the idea of him being involved with us.”

“Then what did you say?” she probed.

“I explained what had happened here,” he answered, “and they then asked just who this was. When I explained, they asked my why I did not tell them earlier. They had actually been expecting him.”

“What!” she said, “I thought…”

“He did not know,” said Henry, interrupting, “They understood his reluctance, and did not let on that they knew, because the council wanted to see if what his benefactors had said about him was true. Once they saw him in action, (and they have been watching,) they knew that the legends about the half-breed that got away, and then exacted revenge on the renegades that killed his family were true. He is actually feared amongst renegade vampires, because, when it comes to that, he is vicious, and shows no mercy.”

“He just doesn’t seem like that,” she said, “except for that one time.”

“Believe me,” said Henry, “When we went out to hunt together, when it came to evil, he was ruthless, in a sense. I mean, for those that had not killed themselves trying to get us, he pulled away those men before he ignited everything. However, what he did to their minds was horrific. Every one of those men that survived are in a mental institution right now, and the news is still talking about the gangland hit that they cannot trace, and a hit that the police say may never be solved. His actions actually shut down a drug syndicate in this area of the city. He actually wants to patrol other areas when he goes to feed, because he literally wants to clean up the city. I tell you, it’s like he is two different people. It’s like he can separate his personality by his breeding stock. When it is time to be a human, he is an exceptional one. When it is time to be a vampire, there is no human in him.”

“What did the council say about the renegades that he killed,” she asked.

“Well, aside from, ‘good riddance,’” he answered, “they said that they would send a few bats and spies to see if they can find out who was behind the attack, where they are from, and then confirm what Jean-Claude had said they were after. As for fighting them, well, they said, ‘Just get him in the right frame of mind, and point him in the general direction of the enemy.’

They must know something about him that he has not let on.”

“What is your guess?” she asked.

“I would guess,” he said, and then paused to collect his thoughts, “I would guess that, somehow, because of what he is, there are things that he can grab a hold of in power and fighting that the average vampire cannot.”

“I don’t follow,” she said, confused.

“In other words,” he clarified, “because he is half and half, he may have, by this time, know how to use both aspects about himself to their fullest potential. I mean, think about this: vampire hunters of the past have actually shown themselves to be quite capable at fighting vampires successfully, no matter what kind of vampire we speak of. Now, whether or not the supernatural power they tapped into to do it was divine or not is not what is at question here. However, I would say, though, they could fight like that because they did have something supernatural empowering them, whether or not they realized it. He claims to be religious, a Christian, in fact. I am not saying that I believe what he believes about the supernatural, but whatever it is, it is something that could probably empower him to fight the way he does if he were a mere human vampire hunter. However, because he is what he is, he can tap into that, and his vampire abilities. If it is indeed divine, or that he has some divine blessing, or whatever it is, because it is a righteous cause, not only are his human faculties enhanced, but his vampire abilities would be enhanced at the time he needs it. That is a deadly combination indeed! All I know is, I, and the council, are glad that he is on our side, because if a heart for vengeance was the only thing on his mind, then we might as well as say good-bye to the vampire species, or at least, watch the numbers dwindle very few before he was stopped.”

“What are you saying?” Calera said, “Are you saying that he could be that deadly?”

“All I know is this,” said Henry, “those renegades had better be ready to be buried in the very coffins that they sleep in, because he will do all he can to insure that they never come out of them again!”

They both sat quietly, scared of what he can do, but also, they felt as safe as they could be, because they knew that they had nothing to fear as long as he was with them. She then asked, “What about our adoption proposal?”

Henry turned around and retrieved the official papers from both the city and the council, saying, “The council asked me, ‘and you had to ask, because…?’”



It was now the first part of October, and the school government had been selected. As soon as this was done, Jean-Claude made his bat house proposal. He said that, not only would it be good pest control, but it would also be a good study for the biology class, as well as a good school activity for some of them to be involved with, as they help to maintain things. However, there were enough on the student council that believed too many myths about bats that made them reluctant to accept the proposal. Jean-Claude then talked with both the principal and the homeroom teacher, and asked if there were a way that he could give the presentation that he gave to every school that he proposed this, and who were just as skeptical. He said that, if he could get the local community involved, as well as get the student council involved, he may just be able to persuade people. They agreed, and that Friday evening, he was able to give the presentation. He was surprised to see the Markers in there in full force. He asked them quietly, “What are you doing here?”

“Are we not a family?” said Calera, “Besides, when Anjou found out what you were up to, she wanted to be involved. It would benefit her familiars a lot.”

He stepped up, and the principal came up to start the proceedings, “First, I wish to congratulate Makka-san on his adoption into the Makka family.”

There was some applause, and then he said, “And now, I would like to turn the floor over to Jean-Claude Makka.”

“Thank you,” he said, and began his presentation. He stood there, wearing some nice slacks, looking well groomed, a nice pattern sweater and white collar shirt, with some nice shoes. He wanted to be as well groomed as possible, because he knew that first impressions are lasting ones. He was also glad to see Yuriya in the audience. It was no secret that the two had started to become an item. It was not just that they were close in age, but what everyone did not know was the kinship they both shared, being what they were, that attracted them to one another. It was a bond few would have understood. He then continued:

“Okay, the first thing I want to show is how much myths can affect us. Anjou, could you come up here and help me?”

Without saying anything, she set Boogie-kun on the chair and came up. To the people there, she looked adorable enough, but had this air about her that gave some people the creeps. “Thank you, Corm Muffin,” he continued, “Ladies and gentlemen; this is my kid sister and shadow, Anjou Makka.”

There was a bit of applause, and then he went on, “Now, I need a volunteer with long hair to come up here. I will pay you 2,000 yen to help me.”

A few stood up, and then he said, “Ah, you might have second thoughts about what I am planning. I want to prove that you cannot get a bat tangled in your hair, or even interested in your hair.”

They sat down. He then said, “That is exactly what I am talking about right there. Now, folks, I am telling you that it is impossible, and whether or not it would happen, I am still going to pay you. Hey, it’s an easy 2,000,” and then he effected as good a Yiddish accent as he could, and said, “What do you got to lose?”

Finally, one of the students on the council got up and reluctantly came up on the platform of the science lab where they were holding court. He then asked Anjou to fetch the large brown bat for him. “Now this bat is small enough to have the possibility to tangle in your hair. I wouldn’t use Bruce here, because he would look more like a hat!”

Everyone chuckled as he went on. The girl said, “Now, you will be able to get him out, right?”

“I’ll pay you 4,000 if I cannot,” he answered. He sat her down, and she was shaking like a leaf. He set the bat on her head, and he immediately hopped up and flew to his perch. He had Anjou to get him again, and this time he said, “Now to make the point clear, watch this!”

He then picked up locks of her hair and wrapped it around the bat. He then set it on her head, and it flopped a couple of times to free itself, and it again returned to its perch. He had Anjou give it a few mealworms, and pulled out the 2,000 yen. He gave it to her, and then explained to her, and everyone where the myth came from, “When you walk at night that is the right temperatures for mosquitoes, they will actually be swarming all above your head. Since they are attracted to heat, and since the head is the place where the greatest percentage of heat escapes the human body, this is the most logical place for the bugs to swarm. Yet, because it is dark, you cannot see them. Since the greatest percentages of bats are insectivores, they eat mosquitoes collectively by the ton. Now, you can’t see the bugs, but they can. Bats are not blind. In fact they all have great eyesight. However, because they are nocturnal, they have developed sonar to help them navigate. You cannot see the bugs, but with their sonar, when they look at you, they see a smorgasbord flying above your head. Since they eat on the fly, (and I’ll talk about more of that shortly,) they swoop in to catch their prey. Sometimes they buzz close to your head. Yet, your hair is not their aim. If it ever did happen, it was probably the clumsiest bat in history!”

Everyone got a good laugh at that, and he said, “Because of their style of hunting, this is where the myth came from. Let’s hear it for our volunteer, 2,000 yen richer and wiser for the wear.”

Everyone applauded as she took her seat, and he continued with the presentation:

“Bats are extremely important to our ecosystem. If bats were hunted to extinction, you could not imagine how many insects would be crawling over the earth. They would be everywhere. That is how important they are. Bats are quite intelligent, and beneficial. They are very loving parents, very clean animals, and they groom quite a bit. There are many species of bats, in fact. Here, we have the large and small brown bat. As you can see, they are not all that big. In fact, these are actually the average size of most bat breeds. There is one so small it is called the bumblebee bat. It’s about this big,” and he showed with his fingers its size, “So seeing these things as big and vicious animals is so wrong. Bruce, here, is an exception to the rule. He is an Australian flying fox—the largest species of bat in the world. You may think that he is a vicious hunter, but actually, he is a fruit bat.”

Anjou then picked him up, and it stretched its wings around her neck, as it licked her face. “As you can see,” he said, “It is quite an affectionate animal. It also has the longest wingspan of any bat, as you can see. Now, the thing about it is, everyone is turned off about the way its wings are designed. However, if you knew its structure, it would not seem all that hard. Yet, because it seemed so out of the ordinary, when you compare it to insect or bird wings, people began to envision horrible things. In renaissance paintings, devils and demons are always depicted as having bat-like wings, because, when put on humanoid looking creatures, they look quite horrifying. This is the start of where some of our horror movie myths came from, especially about that time. This is when exploration of the new world began, and when they ran into the much feared, but very misunderstood vampire bat. They already gave bats a bad rap, but, now there was this bat they had discovered in Mexico and South America, in the tropical region, that fed on the blood of the animals they brought over. Because of the myths about vampires that already existed, they immediately attached this animal to the vampire story.”

The Markers began to shift a bit in their seats, wondering where he was going to take that. The truth was that bats had always been around vampires. It was just that, they were a good animal to employ for a kind of people that were as nocturnal as they were. They would have had to admit, though, that the discovery of the vampire bat did not help matters much. He continued, “Of course, we all know how myths and tall tales go. Because of fear, and for centuries, this animal has been feared and hunted in large proportions. Humans have this tendency to fear that which they do not understand, and then hate what they fear. If it had not been for enough scientists who wanted to learn in order to overcome their fears, humans might have well hunted them to extinction.”

Now the Markers were listening intently. In a sense, if it came down to it, if there were ever a situation where vampires had to defend their very existence, he might have just been the one that could have convinced enough people to leave them alone. “Now that we know what we know, we can see these beautiful animals in a different light. Education always does much to kill fear brought about by ignorance. Therefore, I am going to tell you about the physical traits of the animal, how they hunt, a bit about the vampire bat, and how they are misunderstood, and then describe what can happen when you upset the fruit basket ecologically with the extermination of bats.”

He then went on to describe the structure of the wing, how it was the same as the structure of the human hand, the arm bones, the sonar capability, (which he demonstrated with his large brown bat,) and then demonstrated the ability of it hunting. For that, he used the Mexican Free Tail. He let it free, and then randomly threw up mealworms from time to time, and they watched the bat zero in, and tumble like an acrobat as it flew. “As you can see, he tumbles when he catches,” he said, “What he is doing is either using the skin in his tail, or his wing like a catcher’s mitt, to scoop up the insect. He then tumbles to put it in his mouth, and then spreads his wing to continue flying. He will either eat on the fly, or he will briefly roost to eat, and then continue on.”

He gathered him in and put him back. He then continued: “Now, I want to deal a bit with the vampire bat. I have already stated its habitat, so we here in Japan have nothing to worry about. However, too much bad has been said about that bat. I grant you, it does have to feed on blood in order to survive; yet, the amount of blood is very small—no more than a teaspoon in actuality. It normally feeds on cattle, landing on its host, making a slight incision. It has an anticoagulant in its saliva, much like a mosquito, so it can keep feeding. It does not have to be in the neck—it can be anywhere on the bovine’s body. It licks up the blood, and moves on. For the cow, it is no more than a mosquito bite. It doesn’t normally pay any mind to it. The danger comes in when a rabid bat moves in. Of course, it has to bite to feed, and if it is rabid…well…we know where that goes. Some fear that they attack humans, but they would rather not. Most wild animals will avoid hunting humans unless they have no other choice. Humans taste terrible to them. This also goes for the vampire bat. Besides all that, if one of these creatures ever landed on a human, the human is far more sensitive to something like that, and he would be more than likely to shoo off the bat. There has been the occasional bite, and normally from a sick or rabid bat that has caused a death, but that is extremely rare! They also eat insects as well, so, they also are beneficial as well. This leads me into the benefit of bats. They really do eat a great amount of insects. Let me give you a demonstration of what can happen when you mess around with things. I had a friend who worked on Fort Hood in Texas, and in the crevices of the balconies and other spots of the old barracks, Mexican Free Tails made their homes. It was quite a sight for the soldiers going out for Physical Training to see the bats coming in and out from a long night’s hunt. There was never a mosquito problem in the spring and fall, when the insect would normally be—summer is too hot for them, and winter too cool. However, some general thought that they were too much of a nuisance, especially when some of the female soldiers complained, and feared the first myth that I dispelled tonight. Thus, he called for the wholesale extermination of the bat wherever they were found in the buildings. This was a HUGE mistake! The next mosquito season was living hell for those soldiers! The amount of mosquitoes that were normally eaten by these bats was harassing the solders, even in the summer, when the nights were still cool enough for the mosquito to be out. Not only did the post suffer, but the neighboring town suffered as well. Once the mistake was acknowledged, they let the bats return. Fortunately, they came back rather quickly, and the bats were never to be disturbed again. Another good and happy example happened in nearby Austin, Texas. A new overpass had been built over Lake Travis, but the construction of the bridge’s underside was the perfect roosting spot for the Free Tail. As the population in the colony grew, the citizens became concerned. They feared all the myths about hair and rabies, and other things, and they were going to exterminate them, and then set it up so that the bats could not return. Fortunately, enough scientists at nearby University of Texas spoke up, and educated the city on the animal, and told them how they benefited from the bats. They even said that something like this would make for a good public relations kind of thing. It is now known as Bat Bridge, and there are signs on the underside on the walk paths by the lake, telling of the bat, how it lives, and what to do should you find a sick bat. Now, on many summer nights, people either stand on the bridge, or under it, to watch the bats take off for the hunt. The colony of bats becomes a cloud of bats. It is such an awesome sight to see, just as the sun has finally dropped below the horizon, leaving that red and orange glow, and seeing the cloud drop out of the crevices, moving as one over the lake, and then splitting into two, then fours, and so forth. It is beautiful! By having the bat houses on the roof, not only do you provide a good habitat, and a safe home, you make this school have something unique about it that no other school has. Now, it is getting close to their hibernating time, so, if we are to do this, we must act quickly. Who knows, if enough bats move in, we may have the mascot that we have been seeking.”

He then went on to describe how to build one of these houses, and said that anyone can do this if they so care. He had brochures on the counter for anyone who was curious, and how to deal with bats if they should build one. “One benefit to these houses is, if built very accommodating, this will keep them from roosting in your house, where the smell of guano would chase many people out. We would have to put guano troughs under the houses here, but, what a great form of detention—having to clean those things out!”

Everyone cringed and laughed. He then said, “Well, that completes my presentation. I will now throw it open for questions, and then you can come up and meet my friends, and I will tell you all about them.”

Everyone applauded and asked a few questions. Everyone then came up to meet his friends, and many brochures were taken. The council also informed him that they would have a decision by that next Tuesday.



The Markers were quite impressed by the presentation, and were helping him with all his things. “That was well done,” said Henry, “you speak well. You could have a career in politics.”

Jean-Claude laughed and said, “May you only live so long!”

Anjou then said, “Thank you, big brother, I can have some of my bats move in, and then I can help keep an eye on things.”

“Anytime, Corn Muffin,” he said, and picked her up in his arm.

At this, however, a girl from the council approached. She affected pale skin and a wild hair cut. She had various body piercings and bat earrings that they did not know she had because she was forbidden to wear them during the day. She came up to the group and said, “Say, I wanted to ask you something privately, because I don’t know how it would have been taken in the group.”

He thought it odd, but then said, “Okay, fire away!”

“Do you believe in vampires?” she asked.

Everyone shuddered, and Anjou felt Jean-Claude stiffen a bit.

“Well, I would say that this is a different question,” he answered, “May I ask why you ask?”

“Well, someone that knows as much as you do about the animals, I figured, would know something about that,” she answered.

“Why do you think that?” he then asked.

“I believe that there a little truth to every myth,” she said, “And normally, bats usually accompany vampires, though I don’t believe that they change into bats or anything.”

“Then what do you believe?” he asked, turning the tables on her.

“I loved Ann Rice’s book Interview with Vampire,” she said, “and I believe that it has a lot of truths to it.”

“So, let me ask you,” said Jean-Claude, “Do you believe that vampires are the undead?”

“Yes,” she said.

“Do you believe that vampires can make more of their kind by biting and the drinking of the vampire blood of the victim?”

“I believe that too,” she said.

“Well, I read that book too,” said Jean-Claude, “and I would say that, if I were to believe in vampires, I would think that there would be more to believe in that than in any other horror picture of the past.”

“So you do believe?” she asked.

“What makes you ask?” probed Jean-Claude.

The company there saw that he was trying to deflect the questions as best he could, but they could not believe the persistence of the girl. She then said, “Well, I see you and Karin, and how they let you get away with the dental appliances you two wear, so I figured that you two were into that kind of thing.”

“Are you talking about the gothic punk scene,” he asked.

“Oh yes,” she answered, “that is exactly what I am talking about.”

Jean-Claude thought for a moment, and said, “And, is becoming a vampire something that you desire?”

“I would say that there would be some drawbacks,” she said, “but there are so many other things to it, that I would not think it a bad thing.”

After a moment or two of pondering, Jean-Claude then said, “If you must know, if I were to believe in vampires, I would not believe them to be the undead. I would believe them to be just another form of hominid, just trying to make it like anyone else. I also would believe that they would be to us like the vampire bat is to the bat in general: beneficial but misunderstood, living under a cloud of misunderstanding and myth. It is only the “sick” and “rabid” ones that need to be worried about.”

“Hmm…I guess I agree with some of that, but,” she answered, and then thought for a moment, “you would not they are the undead.”

“If I were to believe, no,” he answered.

“Strange,” she said, “That’s not what most of the people I know think,” and sounded disappointed. Jean-Claude then said, “What’s your name?”

“Yukiko,” she said, surprising everyone, seeing that she was not using normal Japanese customs, being so familiar. “Well, Yukiko, I guess I’ll see you around school then,” said Jean-Claude, and they took their leave. Calera said, “Now that was an interesting way of handling it.”

“I try to answer things like that without actually answering it,” he retorted, “It leaves them feeling like they got an answer, but I really did not tell her anything. However, I am worried about her.”

“What’s there to worry about?” asked Karin.

“If it’s the crowd that I think it is,” he answered, “then it is a sector of the gothic punk scene that has people hung up on the vampire fetish.”

“This is the first I’ve heard of it,” said Henry.

“It is a sad scene indeed,” said Ren, having seen it for himself.

“What do they do?” asked Elda.

“They wear a lot of leather clothes, like bodices and vests, garters and high heels, pale make up, wild hair-dos and piercings that you saw her wearing, and they like to live at night. Some of them even go as far as to sleep in coffins and drink other people’s blood! If they would only consider the blood borne illnesses that they expose themselves to by doing that.”

Maki could not believe what she was hearing, and said, “That’s sick!”

“They all have something in common,” said Jean-Claude, “These are people that have a low self-esteem, who felt that they had no freedom growing up, no identity, and no power. They embrace things like this because it makes them feel powerful and wanted. There is also the need to feel things that are supernatural, and that is also dangerous. They don’t have any idea how destructive their lifestyles really are.”

“They have no idea the dangers they put themselves in with actual vampires,” said Yuriya, “If they get too close to the truth, they risk much.”

“If there is that somewhere in the neighborhood,” said Jean-Claude, “then we need to keep an eye on her, and on that scene. It would be a perfect place from which the renegades could operate. They can hide there because we would pay such foolish behavior no mind. I think it is time.”

Jean-Claude looked at Anjou, and said, “Corn Muffin, keep a few bats on her if you can. We need to see what she is involved with, who she is involved with, and if there is any danger. Her life could be in jeopardy if actual vampires, and renegades in particular, are involved.”

“I shall, big brother,” she said, and they all walked silently back to their homes, pondering just how serious a problem this could be.
Sign up to rate and review this story