Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Find a Way

The Death Trap

by Quillian 1 review

AU GoF... Cedric survives the Triwizard Tournament, but what's happened to Harry?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-05-16 - Updated: 2005-05-16 - 791 words

4Exciting
DISCLAIMER: I don't own Harry Potter, etc. J.K. Rowling and a whole slew of other people do. (Lucky them!)

SUMMARY: This fic owes its existence to "Persistence of Memory," by Neutral, which sadly hasn't been updated in a long time. This is my take on that idea: An AU fic where Harry mysteriously vanished after the events of the third task in GoF, and it's assumed he's dead. This is my own take on that idea.

Respects to Neutral, who will hopefully one day finish her magnificent story, "Persistence of Memory," which this fic owes its life to.


/ /
/Find a Way/

By Quillian



Fata viam invenient. The Fates will find a way. -Virgil, Aeneid



Chapter 1: The Death Trap

Harry felt his feet slam into the ground; his injured leg gave way, and he fell forward; his hand let get of the Triwizard Cup at last. He raised his head.

"Where are we?" he said.

Cedric shook his head. He got up, pulled Harry to his feet, and they looked around.

They had left the Hogwarts grounds completely; they had obviously traveled miles - perhaps thousands of miles - for even the mountains surrounding the castle were gone. They were standing instead in a dark and overgrown graveyard; the black outline of a small church was visible beyond a large yew tree to their right. A hill rose above them to their left. Harry could just make out the outline of a fine old house on the hillside.

Cedric looked down at the Triwizard Cup and then up at Harry.

"Did anyone tell you the cup was a Portkey?" he asked.

"Nope," said Harry. He was looking around the graveyard. It was completely silent and slightly eerie. "Is this supposed to be part of the task?"

"I dunno," said Cedric. He sounded slightly nervous. "Wands out, d'you reckon?"

"Yeah," said Harry, glad that Cedric had made the suggestion other than him.

They pulled out their wands. Harry kept looking around him. He had, yet again, the strange feeling they were being watched.

"Someone's coming," he said suddenly.

Squinting tensely through the darkness, they watched the figure drawing nearer, walking steadily toward them between the graves. Harry couldn't make out a face, but from the way it was walking and holding its arms, he could tell that it was carrying something. Whoever it was, he was short, and waring a hooded cloak pulled up over his head to obscure his face. And - several paces nearer, the gap between them closing all the time - Harry saw that the thing in the person's arms looked like a baby... or was it merely a bundle of robes?

Harry lowered his wand slightly and glanced sideways at Cedric. Cedric shot him a quizzical look. They both turned to watch the approaching figure.

It stopped beside a towering marble headstone, only six feet from them. For a second, Harry and Cedric and the short figure simply looked at one another.

And then, without warning, Harry's scar exploded with pain. It was agony such as he had never felt in all his life; his wand slipped from his fingers as he put his hands over his face; his knees buckled; he was on the ground, and he could see nothing at all; his head was about to split open.

From far away, above his head, he heard a high, cold voice say, "Kill the spare."

A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words to the night: "Avada Kedavra!"


Cedric jumped and looked to his side as he saw Harry collapse and clutch his forehead in agony, but immediate attention was brought back to the approaching figure as he heard the high, cold voice: "Kill the spare."

Seconds seemed to stretch themselves into hours as Cedric watched the wand in the figure's free hand swish, and a green light form as the figure screeched, "Avada Kedavra!"

The Hufflepuff saw his life flash before his eyes as the green light grew to blinding proportions, and had little time to even brace himself.

With such a jolt that for a split second he thought the curse hit him, Cedric was pushed out of the way; Harry moved at the last possible instant, pushing him backwards.

For a moment, as Cedric tripped backwards, he saw Harry take the Killing Curse in the chest; then, after feeling the cold touch of metal underneath him, he felt himself being pulled back the Portkey which was the Triwizard Cup.


To Be Continued...

A/N: The first half of this chapter was typed word for word from my copy of GoF.

The next chapter is underway... So, what did you readers think of this? -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story