Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X

Pyreflies

by moogle-lu 3 reviews

General wangsting between Wakka and Lulu. Set pre-FFX during Zuke's pilgrimage. No real spoilers...nothing you won't find out during the first hour or so of gameplay.

Category: Final Fantasy X - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Lulu, Wakka - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-04-05 - Updated: 2006-04-05 - 593 words - Complete

2Insightful
The sun had long since set on the Moonflow. Zuke was already asleep, and had been for hours. Lulu and Wakka sat silently along the banks, watching the pyreflies dance around in the moonlight. Wakka had always been fascinated with them, and had no problem watching them for hours. Lulu on the other hand seemed a bit distracted, and wasn't really paying much attention to them at all.

"You okay, Lu?" he asked.

No answer.

"Helloooo? You there?" Wakka waved a hand in front of the mage's face.

"What?" Lulu snapped.

"What's wrong with you? You've been spacing out all night, ya? Everything okay?"

Lulu sighed heavily. "What does it matter to you?"

Wakka shrugged. "Just wonderin'"

"I'm /fine/. Just tired I guess." Lulu started to push herself up off the ground, but Wakka grabbed her hand and pulled her back.

"Talk to me," Wakka pleaded. Lulu scowled at Wakka, who grinned back at her. "Come on, we used to have some great talks, ya?"

"I don't feel like talking tonight, Wakka," Lulu said softly.

"Well then at least stay out here a while longer, okay? I want some company." Another grin from Wakka. "I thought you liked watching the pyreflies anyway?"

Lulu sighed and looked out onto the river. Of course she liked watching them, they were beautiful to see. But, as it had been for some time now, her mind was on Chappu. It hadn't been very long at all since they heard about his death in Djose. Lulu looked up at the stars, holding back the tears that tried to come everytime she thought about her love.

Wakka glanced over at Lulu out of the corner of his eye. He'd never really noticed how much she'd grown up since they days they used to torment each other up and down the beaches of Besaid. She'd really turned into a beautiful young woman. '/Chappu was lucky/,' he thought. '/-Really- lucky. Why'd he have to go and screw things up by joining the Crusaders/?' "Damn him," he said aloud.

"What?" Lulu asked.

"Uhh...I, ah," Wakka stammered. "I was just thinking. About how lucky Chappu was, ya? To have you?"

Lulu narrowed her eyes at him. The pair looked at each other for what seemed like an eternity, not saying anything. Pyreflies weaved in and out around them, almost in an effort to fill the silence. Wakka leaned in and kissed Lulu gently on the lips.

Shocked, Lulu pushed Wakka away. "What are you doing!"

"I'm sorry...I just..." Wakka sighed. '/I wish I was him/,' he thought. He leaned back on the ground and looked, hurt, at Lulu. "I'm sorry."

Wakka watched as his best friend hugged her knees and buried her face in her arms. He sat up. "Lu?"

Lulu's breath hitched, and she tried to keep her friend from noticing she was crying. She felt a warm arm wrap around her bare shoulders and couldn't keep it in any longer. Lulu turned into Wakka's arms, cursing Yevon, Wakka, and Chappu alike between sobs. Wakka held her tight, trying to keep his own tears from coming.

'/Damn you, Chappu/.'

Wakka knew he'd never be able to watch the pyreflies again without thinking of what he'd done and how she reacted, and he hated it. Something so beautiful shouldn't remind him of a feeling so low; rejection was something he never wanted to feel again.



This was originally written for a challenge on LJ. The ending seems a bit rushed to me, so I may change it later. CC is welcome!
Sign up to rate and review this story