Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day

by Indigo 0 reviews

Someone's decided that Valentine's Day shouldn't just be for the lucky and the strong. OneShot

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Characters: Neville - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-04-06 - Updated: 2006-04-06 - 732 words - Complete

1Moving
This was written while I was listening to 'Mr Cellophane' from Chicago.

Valentine's Day
"When the night has been too lonely
and the road has been too long
And you think that love is only
for the lucky and the strong
Just remember in the winter
far beneath the bitter snows
Lies the seed
that with the sun's love
In the spring
becomes the Rose"

Valentine's Day at Hogwarts is usually unbearable. Couples everywhere thrashing around like eels, firsties either squealing with immature laughter or shouting "Eew" at all the couples.
Every so often a seventh- or sixth-year couple that sincerely love each other will turn up, but for the most part, Valentine's Day at Hogwarts is a disgusting affair full of crying girls, horrified boys, arguments and ridiculously lovey-dovey couples. And of course, the loners.
She can see Hermione Granger looking like she has a bad-head cold on the next table, obviously trying to ignore Lavender Brown and Ron Weasley half-concealed behind the Great Hall door. And there's Harry Potter, looking like he's about to kick something. Probably because Dean Thomas is having a grand old time with Ginny Weasley over their cornflakes being thanked for a card. In full view no less, not even trying to preserve a little decency. /Yuck/, she thinks.
And Crabbe and Goyle, alone as usual, trying hard not to see Pansy Parkinson hinting heavily to Draco Malfoy under the pretence of asking whether there was anything interesting for him in the post that morning. Poor sod obviously has a hangover, she's never seen someone looking so rough.
She amuses herself for a few moments laughing at Snape at the teachers' table, looking daggers at all the young couples, before quietly finishing her breakfast and walking back to her common room. It's a Saturday, so no school. Plenty of time, then.
Someone who's always been on his own on the fourteenth of February sits on the Gryffindor table. He's lost family because of You-Know-Who, just like her, and he's teased a lot by the Slytherins. It's very unfair, he's always been really nice. He's forgetful, but not as much as he was a few years ago. He's gained a bit of confidence - albeit only a little bit - over the last few years, but he's still quiet.
/Valentine's day shouldn't just be for the lucky and the strong/, she thinks.
Neville Longbottom sits quietly finishing his breakfast with a good margin of space on either side of him. He's taking his time - he isn't expected by anyone today. Over there Hermione looks really upset. Probably because of Ron and Lavender. Neville used to like Hermione, she was kind to him. Not any more, though, it'd be a lost cause. She's wasting her affection on Ron Weasley. Maybe one day he'll get a clue and appreciate her. Neville knows he would. And there's Harry, looking like thunder. Neville privately thinks he had it coming, he should've paid Ginny a bit more attention when he had the chance.
Neville doesn't notice a pale yellow paper plane gliding leisurely into the Great Hall. If he'd seen it, he wouldn't have thought it out of the ordinary. He doesn't even see it do a loop-the-loop before zooming gently down, landing beside his now-empty breakfast plate. He just looks up to check the weather. /Sunny, /he thinks. Maybe this means there won't be so many couples thrashing all over the Common Room today ...
Neville's train of thought was interrupted when the ignored paper plane gave an indignant little cough to gain his attention. He looks down, is faintly shocked. "/Neville," /read the wings. He automatically glances at the Slytherin table, searching for suppressed smirks - even though he hasn't been bullied in quite a few weeks now, maybe the Slytherins are growing up. No, they're all occupied, Crabbe and Goyle looking gruffly miserable, Pansy Parkinson trying to distract Malfoy from his evidently fascinating breakfast.
He tentatively opens it, half expecting it to start shrieking or dump something smelly in his lap.

Happy Valentine's day, Neville.
Want to come to Hogsmeade with me today? I'm sure our friends won't object, they all seem pretty busy to me.
Your friend,
Susan xx

Dedicated to all others who are alone on Valentine's - may February 14th look a little more kindly on you in years to come.
Lyrics at the top are from Bette Midler's The Rose.
Sign up to rate and review this story