Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and The Power of The Coven

Of Responses

by alternatepersona27 0 reviews

The Meeting

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres:  - Characters: Dumbledore - Published: 2009-08-03 - Updated: 2009-08-04 - 7038 words

-1Cliche
Last Chapter…

Fawkes trilled softly and the Headmaster’s tight expression loosened. He smiled again.

“Of course, you are right, Fawkes. I know I am not alone, but Harry needs these five, especially. I believe that only they can assist him in finding the power that the Dark Lord knows not. Do you see?”

The great firebird bobbed its head in understanding. Dumbledore’s gaze fell from his companion as plans swirled in his head. He needed to prepare for the Coven’s arrival.

Chapter 2 – Of Responses

The sun blazed hotly overhead and the waves rolled underfoot as the Coven glided their way toward Scotland. The day was perfect for being out on the water. Anyone taking advantage of that, if they happened to look up, would have seen five young women in black cloaks sitting sidesaddle on five brand new American-made CottonSlayer broomsticks. The CottonSlayers were flying at top speed over the ocean below. The wind was in the five girls’ faces and they loved it. The trip from Salem to Hogwarts took about 4 hours by broom, but the sheer joy of flying took the edge off the long flight.

When the packing was done, the girls had met in the front yard of the house. They had shrunk their luggage, placing the heavy cases in their pockets. With a couple phrases and a small flash of light, the Coven had departed.

Their arrival was not nearly so easy or pleasant as their departure. When they reached Scotland, they flew directly into a rainstorm. Trying the fly above it was impossible and flying below it left them all soaking wet. Just as they landed in Hogsmeade, lightening split the sky. Saying a brief thank you to the Goddess, the five ducked into the Hogs’ Head pub.

“Hello, Aberforth. Long time no see. How are you?” the sandy-haired young woman called to the bartender, as they shed soggy cloaks.

The old man grinned and waved. “Aurelia! Girls! Well bless my bones. I haven’t seen you in ages. Is my crazy brother trying to get you to work for him again? Trying to get you to join that damned Order of his?”

The five chuckled. Ariadne grinned broadly. “Right in one, Abe. Can we use your private fireplace to pay the old man a visit?”

Aberforth smiled widely at this and nodded. The Coven cast quick drying charms on both their cloaks and themselves. Ariadne shook her hair out and recast the charm before leading the group up the back stairs. Aurelia waved to the bartender as she disappeared from sight.

The room upstairs, which housed the fireplace they intended to use, was cozy. It was a small room. Two over stuffed navy armchairs sat in front a blazing fire. A thick oriental rug was spread over the floor. Ariadne smiled softly. Going over and reaching into the small earthenware jar that sat on the mantle, she threw a fistful of powder into the flames.

“The Headmaster’s Office”

The five coven members trooped into the fire, emerging on the other side into the office of a startled Dumbledore. The old man spun quickly in his chair. The five women stood on his hearthrug, brushing soot off their shoulders.

“Good evening, girls. I was not expecting you so soon. Come in. Come in. Make yourselves at home.”

The headmaster stood and, drawing his elder wand from deep with in the folds of his robes, he conjured three more chintz armchairs. He gestured for them to sit. As they complied (narrowing their eyes at the absurd floral pattern), the headmaster also returned to his seat behind the desk. Once they were all settled, Dumbledore spoke.

“Now, girls. You obviously know why I requested your presence here. I have something, which I wish to tell you. However, it is of the utmost importance that it remains in this office. It cannot go beyond these walls. The safety of the wizarding world depends upon it, as well as the life of one of my students.”

Ariadne furrowed her brow.

“If the information is of such a nature, Headmaster, then why tell us at all?”

The man smiled.

“Because, Ariadne, I believe you deserve to know the reason I requested your assistance. Also, telling you this may help you in helping my student.”

She nodded slowly and with a quick glance at each of the other girls, asked tentatively, “Do you wish an Unbreakable Vow from us that we will not repeat this thing you would tell us?”

He shook his head.

“No, that will not be necessary. I have faith in you all.”

He pulled out a small bag and opened it. While he was perusing the contents, he casually placed silencing and privacy wards on his office.

“Was that necessary, Professor?” the dark haired brunette asked.

“Yes, Isoko. It was quite necessary. You must understand that this castle is a living entity. There are ears everywhere.” He gestured to the paintings on the walls. “And I and my student have many enemies.”

“You continually refer to a student, Professor. Who is this student? Are you referring to Harry Potter?”

Olympia met his gaze, shrewdly. He shortly bowed his head to her, in recognition.

“Very perceptive. Indeed, I do. Harry is in grave peril almost all of the time, due in part to Voldemort, but also due to the incompetency of the Ministry of Magic. Minister Fudge is a fool. He even now attempts to deny the return of Voldemort, when a student has died under his very nose. Inside of his Ministry, no less. It is only a matter of time before he is forced to resign. I pray that his replacement will have more sense then he. However, I did not ask you here to discuss politics. I wished to tell you about the prophecy.”

Isoko narrowed her eyes. Prophecy…

“Headmaster, this wouldn’t by chance have anything to do with that incident at the end of the last school year in the Department of Mysteries? Were they, perhaps, in the Hall of Prophecy?”

The Headmaster was mildly impressed. After all, it was not everyday that one spoke to an American witch, who was well enough informed to know some of what was inside the British Ministry’s Department of Mysteries. Most people in Britain did not even know.

“Very good indeed, Miss Haruki. Ten points.” The headmaster’s eyes twinkled. “Yes, this has everything to do with what happened in the Ministry last year. If you would all get comfortable…Lemon Drop?”

He offered the bag that he had been perusing earlier to them. They declined. He nodded and sighed.

“Why is it that everyone refuses when I offer sweets?”

The old man had obviously meant the question to be rhetorical. However, Aurelia grinned.

“Because everyone knows that you lace most of the refreshments that you offer, tea for example, with calming potions. And, quite frankly, no one likes being drugged.”

Dumbledore’s eyes widened. He coughed lightly.

“Yes, well… Shall we proceed then? Good. I have a story I wish to share with you.

“In the time before the first War with Voldemort, a young girl arrived at Hogwarts. I had been headmaster for several years by that time. This little girl, Lily was her name, she was one of the most accepting people that you could ever hope to meet. In her first year here, Lily befriended a lonely first-year child from Slytherin House. Lily herself was a Gryffindor, so their friendship was highly irregular.

“Lily would protect the Slytherin boy, whose name was Severus, from bullies or scornful students from other houses. Severus adored Lily, who was the first person to show him such kindness. Also in first year with Severus and Lily, was a trio of boys from old wizarding families. James, Sirius, and Remus were the best of friends. James and Sirius each belonged to one of the Noble Houses, while Remus was simply a member of a long established wizarding family. All three boys were placed in Gryffindor. This came as a great shock to one of the boy’s family, because they had expected Sirius Black to reside in Slytherin with all his ancestors. Now—“

“Excuse me, professor. I do not mean to be rude, but what does this all have to do with anything? My aunt went to Hogwarts with Lily. We are all aware of the story of Lily and James Potter and Severus Snape. Why are you telling us again?”

Ariadne interrupted. Dumbledore smiled benevolently at her and his eyes twinkled.

“Because, dear child, you only think you know the story. But appearances can be deceiving.”

She arched a brow and remained silent.

“Shall I continue?”

At their nods, he did just that.

“As I was saying, Sirius was placed in Gryffindor house, while his younger brother was later placed into Slytherin. Young Sirius Black and young James Potter both hated Slytherin so intently that anything, which had an association with it, quickly fell subject to their distaste. Severus Snape was one such person. The two boys taunted Severus at any and every opportunity. Lily, being exceedingly loyal and protective, intervened on behalf of Severus, but this only made the boys hate Severus more. They believed he was ‘corrupting a fellow Gryffindor’ with his very pretence. Young Remus Lupin, however, also attempted to distract his friends from their hatred and rivalry. However, Severus did not make any of this easy. He believed that Sirius and James were both arrogant, intolerant purebloods. Severus himself was a half-blood, just as Voldemort is a half-blood.

“The anger and the rivalry continued for some time. However, by the time the students had reached their 6th year, the anger and hatred of each other had dissipated. Lily and Remus had managed to build a bridge between the rivals. Both Severus and James loved Lily with their whole hearts and wished nothing more then to see her happy. It was for this reason and because of that connection that James and Severus formed a friendship of sorts. It never went so far as to allow Severus to join the Marauders, but he became closer to James then Peter was. Sirius, however, could never completely put aside his distaste for Slytherins in general and great dislike for Severus in particular.

“As you know, after graduating from Hogwarts, Lily and James married. However, what you do not know, what no one save a select few knows, is Lily did not love James in that manner. Lily had given her heart to Severus long before James Potter entered the picture.”

The reaction this statement garnered from the Coven caused Dumbledore to grin faintly.

“But they—“

“Then why did—“

“They can’t have—“

“You mean to say that—“

The Coven stumbled over one another in an attempt to speak. Finally, Ekantika managed to make herself heard.

“That doesn’t make sense!”

“You are correct, Ekantika. To almost everyone in this world, my statement would seem like the raving of a lunatic. However, I assure you it is quite true. Lily loved Severus from the time they met in first year and, had he not become a spy for the Order of the Phoenix, she would have married him upon leaving Hogwarts. Severus by that time though had already taken the mark and joined the Dark Lord’s ranks for me. He knew I need a spy in the Death Eater camp and he was by then the most accomplished Occlumens I had ever met. He approached me about taking the mark and I allowed it, an action that I most whole-heartedly regret.

“Before leaving school, and this is very important to our story, Lily and Severus had been in a relationship. Because Severus had already taken the mark and started spying, they asked James to assist them in hiding it from the world. Death Eaters, who were not pureblooded, were not allowed to form relationships of that nature. The story was put out that James and Lily were dating. Even Sirius and Remus were kept in the dark to some extent. Peter, who had a hard time keeping gossip to himself, was kept entirely in the dark. Sirius and Remus knew that Severus and Lily were involved and James was helping them hide it but they were not aware of the extent of that involvement.

“So far what you have heard is known only to myself and three others: Sirius, Remus, and Severus. However, what I tell you next is know to me and only me. I would ask you to take this information and think on it. I would like your opinion on something later. So, to continue: about two weeks before graduating, Lily found out she was pregnant with Severus’ child. She went to James for help. He agreed to marry her and raise the child as his own, telling no one of the child’s paternity. Because James and Severus had similar coloring with their jet-black hair and pale skin, Lily believed correctly that she could pass the child off as a Potter. She did not tell Severus about the baby, for she feared for both his safety and for the baby.

“Severus, like everyone else, believed the baby belonged to James. His old hate was rekindled, if only just a little. However, when James publicly antagonized Voldemort, Severus began to worry about Lily’s safety. His preoccupation put him in danger.

“When a prophecy was made that Severus overheard, he came to me to ask what he should tell Voldemort about it. He knew that even such an accomplished Occlumens as himself could not entirely keep something so important from a Legilimens. We argued. I wished him to reveal a piece of that prophecy that might place Lily and James in danger. In the end, he reluctantly agreed and left to give part of the prophecy to Voldemort. The result of my decision was the death of two of my dearest young friends and the devastation of Severus. To this day, he still partly blames himself, but he also blames James for so many reasons. That is why Severus hates James now and why he hates Harry. Because he looks at Harry as something he could never have, something that was taken away from him. However, since the time that Harry arrived at this school Severus has protected him to the best of his abilities, because of his love for Lily.

“Voldemort sealed his own fate the night he killed James and Lily. The series of events that followed would never have occurred had he chosen the other possible candidate, Neville Longbottom. Neville could never have grown up the way Harry did, away from the Wizarding World. I know now the extent of the abuse that Harry suffered at the hands of his muggle relatives, although I did not know it then. I simply believed that they would value Harry less then their own son, but I did not know that they would abuse him due to his magic. Neville could never have learned the lessons Harry has. Voldemort fashioned himself his own worst enemy that night, and gave the boy some of the tools that he will need to defeat the Dark Lord.”

Dumbledore looked around at the faces of the young women in front of him and smiled kindly.

“I see I have confused you all, thoroughly. I suppose I ought to have shown you the prophecy sometime during this story. Well, I will rectify that now. The prophecy given by Sybil Trelawney to myself, Albus Dumbledore: The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches…born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…and the Dark Lord will mark him as equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not…and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives…The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies.”

The Headmaster leaned back in his chair and let all that he had told them sink in. He watched them over his half-moon spectacles. If the emotions playing on their faces were anything to go by, he had convinced them and, for Harry’ sake and the sake of the wizarding world, he hoped he had.

Ariadne was the first to speak.

“You said, Professor, that you wished to ask our opinion on some matter pertaining to your information. What is it you wished to ask?”

Dumbledore nodded.

“I am glad you remember, as I had forgotten I asked. I wish to know if you feel that I should reveal to Severus and Harry the secret, which Lily Potter thought it was best to keep.”

The five thought about this for several moments. Silence lay over the office like a blanket. Fawkes trilled very softly into the void. Finally, Olympia spoke.

“Headmaster, when Lily Potter wished this secret to be kept, the situation was an entirely different one. Harry Potter has been living with his abusive muggle relative since he was just over one year old. He believes his parents are dead. I think the boy has the right to know that he has at least one family member. I also think that Severus deserves to know that he has a son. You can give him the knowledge that there exists a concrete representation of his and Lily’s love, a child. He may not like the boy now, but it is not because he dislikes Harry, from what you have told us, but more that he dislikes what Harry represents in his mind. Give them both what, I suspect, they need the most: each other. Don’t you agree?”

Her sisters nodded. Dumbledore smiled sadly.

“My dear Olympia, when did you become so wise? I shall indeed follow your advice as soon as possible…Now to the business for which I requested your presence. I am prepared to offer you all teaching positions here at the school, in various subjects, as well as several electives and a special Coven Magic course. You will have quarters here in the castle, but I will set up a special direct floo connection to your residence in Salem.”

“What teaching positions are you offering us?” Ekantika asked.

“I am offering Ariadne the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.”

“Great, I get the cursed spot!”

“I am offering Aurelia the position of Potions teacher to first through third year students, to allow Severus more time for himself and his pursuits. As you, Aurelia, are a Potions Master yourself this should not be a problem. I am also offering the position of Teacher for first through third year Charms to Ekantika.”

“Great. I hate children.”

Ariadne snorted. “Then maybe you should teacher potions.”

The headmaster ignored their childish interaction and continued, “To Isoko, I am offering the position of History of Magic teacher. I think it is high time that we have a live person teaching that class. And finally, to Olympia, I am offering the position of the teacher of Ancient Runes. Do these teaching positions seem acceptable to you?”

The five nodded. Ariadne, however, was quick to put in, “This does not mean we are agreeing to take the positions. You also mentioned us teaching elective classes?”

“Yes. It has come to my attention that most private schools in the muggle world offer a selection of electives for the students to chose from. I have decided that that is a practice I wish to instigate here. Therefore, I would be honored if you would consent to teaching several of these new electives. I was planning to ask Olympia and Ariadne to teach a dueling class, Isoko to teach an Archery class, Aurelia to teach a non-magical herbal properties class, and Ekantika a magical dance class.”

The group glanced at one another. This sounded intriguing. They would have available free immediate transport home and access to all of Hogwarts resources. There was nothing so incredibly pressing that they could not wait and take time during the school year to do it.

Ariadne nodded once to her sisters and received small nods from each in response.

“The Summer Coven accepts your job offerings for the duration of one year unless renewed, both as a unit and as individual members, and thanks you for thinking of us and trusting us with such positions and information.”

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled maddeningly at the formal acceptance. Such a statement was magically binding for this school year. He sighed slightly in relief. Maybe he could talk them into assisting in the private training he was planning on giving Harry…

“I thank you for accepting my offer and welcome you all to Hogwarts. If you wish, I could give you a tour now or tomorrow morning after you have slept away your long flight…?”

“A Tour tomorrow would be lovely, Headmaster. Thank you.” Ariadne smiled.

“If you would all follow me then, I will show you to your private tower.”




*Last Chapter
Sign up to rate and review this story