Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and The Power of The Coven

Of Repose

by alternatepersona27 2 reviews

I will not be giving a chapter summary so this will just be inane ramblings.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Dumbledore - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-08-03 - Updated: 2009-08-04 - 3980 words

-1MarySue
This is mostly setting and characterizing. Letting everybody get a feel for the new area of the castle and a little more insight into all the characters’ personalities. I tried my best to get them as close as I could. I hope you all like them.

Another couple references to puzzle out. The Coven’s password and a movie quote thrown in for fun…

Reviews equal life…

Last Chapter…

“The Summer Coven accepts your job offerings for the duration of one year unless renewed, both as a unit and as individual members, and thanks you for thinking of us and trusting us with such positions and information.”

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled maddeningly at the formal acceptance. Such a statement was magically binding for this school year. He sighed slightly in relief. Maybe he could talk them into assisting in the private training he was planning on giving Harry…

“I thank you for accepting my offer and welcome you all to Hogwarts. If you wish, I could give you a tour now or tomorrow morning after you have slept away your long flight…?”

“A Tour tomorrow would be lovely, Headmaster. Thank you.” Ariadne smiled.

“If you would all follow me then, I will show you to your private tower.”

Chapter 3 – Of Repose

The winding journey to their tower convinced the Coven that they would never be able to find anything in the castle. They would definitely need the tour tomorrow.

The small group stopped in front of a painting of a large white Bengal tiger stretched out on a rock. The cat narrowed its eyes at the humans and waited. Dumbledore muttered a few words and turned to the girls.

“Set a password.”

The old man then cast a silencing charm on himself so he could not hear what they said. Ariadne smiled.

Olympia grinned and said softly, “Beverly’s Hale.”

The girls laughed merrily at this and the cat gave them a look, which clearly said it thought they were insane. The headmaster dropped his spell and they entered through the painting.

The Coven found themselves in a large, sumptuous common room area. The whole room looked like a cone of pistachio ice cream. The couches and armchairs that sat in front of the fire were soft and pale green. The rugs that were spread across the wooden floor were also pistachio green. The walls, broken only by two archways, were covered in tapestries that depicted coven magic. Groups of witches, holding hands around cauldrons, rippled in a breeze made by the open window. The night outside had cleared and opal moonlight played in patterns on the hard floor. Ariadne smiled.

“Now, girls. This wing is set up much like Gryffindor tower. This set of stairs,” Dumbledore waved his hand to indicate the archway on the left. “Leads to the living quarters. You will each have a personal study, a bedroom with a sitting area, and a private bathroom. Up this set of stairs,” He gestured to the archway on the right. “You will find a complete potions laboratory, a small in-house greenhouse, a dueling room with a small armory, a dance studio with mirrored walls, a shooting range, and room for you to perform your Coven Magic. On the stone floor of that room, I have taken the liberty of having the house elves carve a perfect circle. In one of the cabinets in the coven room is a large supply of sea salt. There is also, at the top of that staircase, a room with an international floo that is connected to your home only. I have special permission from the Ministry for it.”

Dumbledore stopped to allow the information to sink in. Isoko narrowed her eyes.

“You already have the floo hooked up? Does this mean you assumed that we would agree?”

Ariadne raised an eyebrow and the group waited for his answer.

“No, Miss Haruki. I did not assume you were coming. I simply wished to be prepared in case you chose to join our staff. I am required to renew the floo connection in 2 days to make it permanent, for the duration of one year.”

The headmaster smiled benevolently.

“I will bid you ladies goodnight then, and allow you to inspect your new quarters. I shall see you tomorrow at your leisure.”

So saying, the old man disappeared through the painting with a swish of his robes. The girls looked at one another and giggled softly.

“I propose that we go and find our luggage.” Ekantika said.

And so the five trudged up the stairs in search of the luggage that Dobby the overzealous house elf had wisked away earlier, still shrunk. The stairs to the left wound high up into the tower. They looked up. Six landings broke the staircase into pieces, a door sitting on each one. Aurelia opened to first door, revealing only an empty room with a stone floor. It appeared to be a storage room, but felt more like a dungeon. That door was quickly shut and the group moved on. The second landing and door opened to reveal a large study.

An oaken desk sat under a large window at the far end of the room. Wooden bookcases covered nearly three quarters of the room. The one wall, which was not covered in books, bore a painting of Salem in the 17th century. The girls smiled at that. Taking a hesitant step into the room, Aurelia noticed how thick the Oriental rug that covered the floor was. She moved past the fire in the hearth and opened the inner door. Behind that door lay a voluptuous bedroom with a sitting area. The carpet was a deep royal purple. The hangings and bedding of the tall four-poster in the corner were also deep purple. The armchairs and small settee before the fireplace, however, were light lavender, as were the drapes. Out of the corner of her eye, Aurelia spotted her luggage propped up next to the huge wardrobe. She grinned broadly and moved to the bed. Flopping down on it, she spoke.

“You guys can go look at the other rooms. I am staying here. And here’s hoping your rooms are as nice as mine.”

As it turns out, four of the other five rooms were exactly the same. On the third floor, Ekantika found her luggage in a buttercup bedroom. On the next landing up, Isoko was presented with a pale pink room. The second landing from the top bore Olympia’s luggage in a bedroom of azure. However, on the top floor, Olympia, who was curious, and Ariadne found a different layout. The study’s door led to a set of stairs, rather then a bedroom. A small landing in the middle of the staircase showed them a bathroom. The door at the top of the stairs opened into a circular bedroom. The four-poster was against part of the wall on a raised platform. The platform had a small black picket fence cutting it off from the rest of the room. Three gigantic, floor-to-ceiling windows threw moonlight onto several armchairs, which at first appeared to be covered in blood. After a softly whispered Lumos to supplement the lighting, the girls realized that actually the velvet upholstery that covered the chairs was a bloody crimson. This matched the hangings and bedding on the ebony four-poster. The wardrobe-like doors that seemed to meld into the walls were also made of ebony wood. That combined with the jet walls and carpet seemed to wrap the two in darkness. From the ceiling, an antique wrought iron chandelier held everlasting candles and cast a soft light over everything.

Both girls gasped. The room was breathtaking. Olympia shuddered slightly. She could almost feel the darkness closing in around them. She flicked a quick glance at Ariadne and smiled half-heartedly. Ariadne looked as if Halloween had come early (that being her favorite holiday). She took a few steps into the room and began to spin slowly. Her eyes were impossibly wide as she tries to take in everything. She stopped spinning. Making her way lightly over to the windows, she took in the view.

“It’s absolutely perfect. I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life.”

She whispered into the stillness. Olympia smiled more fully. Her sister was happy. She looked around once more. Thinking about it, she decided that the room was perfect for Ariadne. She, however, would avoid coming in here as much as possible, especially at night.

“I’ll see you in the morning, Ari. Sweet Dreams.”

“May flights of devil wing thee to thy rest.”

Came the soft reply, followed by a quiet chuckled. Olympia laughed and turned to seek her own room and bed. The exhaustion of the long flight was finally catching up to everyone.

#

The next morning dawned bright and early for the Coven. Breakfast had already been laid out on the table in the Common Room when the girls stumbled, one by one, downstairs. Slowly the new teachers awoke, as they nibbled crumpets and sipped good, strong, Starbucks coffee. Where the house elves got that, no one was going to ask.

When everyone looked as if they would actually remain awake, Aurelia spoke up.

“So, I think we should all go investigate the rest of our tower before we go see Dumbledore for our tour.”

“I second that!” Ekantika said, throwing a look at Ariadne, who giggled.

“So anyone object?” When no one spoke, Aurelia continued. “Good. Do you all want to do that now? Before we get dressed?”

When no one said anything, Aurelia and Ariadne stood and headed up the right staircase. The rest followed suit.

This staircase led not to several platforms, but rather to a corridor off which six doors opened. At the far end of the hall another staircase disappeared above their heads, leading no doubt to the floo room. Ariadne reached out and opened the nearest door. It revealed a large, bright room with mirror walls and a shining hardwood floor. In the far corner a cabinet stood. Ekantika entered and headed to the cabinet. The rest left her to her explorations and proceeded to the next door. This one revealed a small, fully stocked potions lab, into which Aurelia disappeared. The next one over, an indoor greenhouse, connected with the lab. Lines of thick green foliage were bathed in the sunlight that shone from the glass ceiling. Re-shutting that door, the three girls moved on to the next room. Magically elongated, the room was huge with grass covering the floor like a carpet. On the very far wall hung several archery target-circles. On a rack by the door four crossbows and two long bows sat. Isoko squealed and ran to the waiting equipment. Chuckling, Ariadne closed the door behind her.

“Well,” said Olympia, with a smirk. “Looks like it’s just us again.”

“As always.” Ariadne smiled. “Come on, we have a dueling room to see.”

Behind the fifth door lay a large room. In the center was a long magical-dueling platform. Printed on the surface of the platform were the phases of the moon. Ariadne smiled. The left wall was bisected by a tall, heavy, oaken door. Carved into the floor in front of the magical platform were several physical dueling spaces of different spaces and sizes. The two made their way to the tall door. When they managed get it open, they were greeted with the sight of a fully stocked arms closet. They grinned.

Emerging back into the hall, they were greeted by the rest of the Coven. After a quick peek into the Coven magic room, which was exactly as Dumbledore had described it, they returned to the Common Room.

“I believe it is time to grace our most esteemed headmaster with our presence.”

Ekantika spoke in an imitation of the lilting accents of the overly educated English aristocrat. The others bowed their heads to her and




[*This is mostly setting and characterizing. Letting everybody get a feel for the new area of the castle and a little more insight into all the characters
Sign up to rate and review this story