Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and The Power of The Coven

Of Patience

by alternatepersona27 0 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Poppy Pomfrey,Snape - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-08-05 - Updated: 2009-08-05 - 4095 words

-1MarySue
I would just like to say that I got the flashing thing from Abraxan, but I am pretty sure you all realized that anyway. If you haven’t read her stuff, you are definitely missing out! She is amazing!



If I borrow ideas from anyone, I will try to remember to tell you who it was or what specific story it was from. It won’t happen often, but it will happen at least once more. I have something in mind. For probably Chapter 11…



So on with the Chappie…



Last Chapter…



With a furrowed brow, he complied. Ariadne also slipped a supportive hand under Harry’s body. With the other, she grasped Fawks tail and asked him quietly to take them to the headmaster.



Another flash of golden announced their departure to the now empty room, just as the ambulance screamed to a halt outside.



Chapter 9 – Of Patience



Some of the Coven returned to Dumbledore’s office upon the completion of their assigned tasks. Olympia and Ekantika had yet to retrieve Hermione. The twins had also returned successful. The Order had been quickly informed of the goings-on and left with a promise that the Headmaster would explain more fully. Bill was busy boosting the castle’s defense and Charlie was speaking with Hagrid. The scene was tense with anxiety as they all sat staring at each other. Everyone jumped when Fawks disappeared with a flash of gold light. Isoko shot a look at the Headmaster.



“Professor Dumbledore, why would your phoenix leave like that? I was under the impression he only responded to you.” The dark-haired girl raised an eyebrow.



“In times of great need, Fawks also responds to someone with great loyalty to me or great need of something that I would provide if I was able.” Dumbledore’s eyes looked old and worried for the first time anyone could remember. “I imagine that he went to Harry. He has done it before, in a time of great need.”



They lapsed back into silence. The flash of golden light that occurred again several minutes later startled them so much that Fred let out a quiet yelp, while Isoko shrieked in surprise. When the light faded seconds later, the sight that met their eyes shocked them all. Before them, hands, clothes, and faces covered in blood, Snape and Ariadne hovered over the senseless body of Harry Potter. Ariadne looked around the room with wild eyes. Her gazed roved around until it finally settled on the headmaster. “Tell him to take us to the infirmary. Now!” Her voice escalated until it was a shrill and terrifying scream.



Severus, whose black, glittering eyes were even wilder than Ariadne’s if such a thing were possible, snarled wordlessly at Aurelia as she moved forward to help. The pale raven-haired man was a ghastly vision. His alabaster cheekbones were smeared with crimson blood, the same color of the shirt he was wearing. His midnight hair was disheveled and seemed to float around his face. The skinny black jeans that encased his legs were pulled tight as he crouched on the headmaster’s rug. His whole body was wound so tautly that it appeared he would spring at anyone who approached the three of them, more like an animal guardian then a man. Magic crackled in the air around the small group. Aurelia stumbled back at the almost feral sight of the usually aloof Potion’s Master.



The headmaster stood abruptly and gestured everyone back. He was however not fast enough. Fred Weasley had stepped forward to protect the Coven. This time it was Ariadne who turned on him. A snarling, threatening growl tore itself from her throat. Appearing Snape’s opposite, her blond hair, which floated on the magic-filled air, and creamy skin were both liberally splashed with blood. Her clothing was torn and bloody as well. A large purpling bruise was blossoming across her collarbone and the top of her right breast, disappearing into her vest. She knelt on the floor. Her back was curled so she leant over the body in front of her, looking like a heavy weight of despair rested there. Her face however, was turned up to the twin that dared to come near her charge. Her lips were curled back over her teeth and her stormy eyes were so dark they almost matched Severus’, glittering in the same way. Her body was coiled taut as well.



“Do not go anywhere near them.” The headmaster had his hand spread in warning.



Ariadne’s eyes snapped to him again and she spun on him. “NOW!!!” She shrilled again. Desperation colored her voice now and she appeared to be fighting back tears.



Dumbledore met her gaze and saw something there that convinced him of his course. He nodded to Fawks. They all disappeared in a flash of gold.



Aurelia, who trembled slightly, turned to the old man. “What was that, Professor? What is wrong with my sister?”



Dumbledore shook his head. He swept out to the office with a gesture to follow him. The Coven and the twins all obeyed. It was mere moments before they reached to hospital wing. By the time they entered, Harry had already been placed on a hospital bed and Madam Pomfrey was forcing potions down his throat. Ariadne stood on one side of his bed and Severus on the other. The tension that had consumed both while they had been in the headmaster’s office was completely exhausted now. Both seemed about to collapse. Snape’s already pale skin looked sallow, almost as if it had a yellow tinge to it. Ariadne’s eyes did have a yellow tinge to them and she appeared ready to faint. Yet there they both stood, guarding the boy in the bed and waiting for the pronouncement of life or death for him.



Dumbledore pulled out his wand and flicked it lightly at the two teachers. The girls at his side heard his sharp intake of breath when Snape and Ariadne’s auras burst from them. Ariadne’s showed signs of the very recent performance of Dark Magic and both showed signed of the reception of Dark Magic. The old man’s eyes narrowed. His wand flicked again, this time for a diagnostic spell. Both adults had severe kidney damage and small punctures in their left lungs and stomachs, which was allowing stomach acid to leak into their abdominal cavities.



“They must both be in excruciating pain. How are they still standing?” Isoko murmured on Dumbledore’s left.



“Yes, they are. However, one of the effects of this spell is to allow them to function when they ought to be unconscious. This usually causes the injuries taken to worsen. They have both made a very heroic and painful sacrifice.”



The headmaster approached Harry’s bed with extreme caution to avoid startling one of the pair into a violent protective reaction. “Ariadne, Severus, you are both in horrible pain and have extensive injuries yourselves. Allow Madam Pomfrey to heal you, so she may return to working on Harry.”



Two head snapped up to stare at him and two identical snarls escaped past two sets of lips. The headmaster took a step backwards to placate them. “Alright, then allow the Coven and myself to start the healing process for you, so the very capable Madam Pomfrey may be free to save Harry’s life.”



This quiet suggestion calmed the two blood covered companions. Taking one last took at the pale teen on the bed before them, Severus and Ariadne stepped away and around the healer. The old man led them to beds on the opposite side of the room. However, instead of each taking the bed proffered, both chose to lie down together. As soon as the pair closed their eyes they slipped into a deep spell-induced sleep. A furrow of concern appeared between the Headmaster’s eyebrows as he stared down at the two members of his staff.



“What on earth happened to them?” He murmured quietly.



“We will find out soon enough, Headmaster. However, right now, I believe two of my sisters are waiting with Hermione in your office. And I wish to begin healing these two, while Isoko goes home to fetch our regular healer, to help me.” Aurelia’s voice was quiet and commanding.



The headmaster shot her a sharp glance. “Home?”



“Yes, Isoko has taken advantage of the floo connection you set up for us and returned to Salem to retrieve our Family healer. She should return within the next few minutes.”



Shooting her another glance, Dumbledore nodded and exited the Hospital Wing to greet the day’s savior.



##########



Upon entering his office, Dumbledore, very uncharacteristically, ignored the three girls sitting in front of his desk and went quickly to open one of the desk drawers. He pulled out the same pulsing red rock that had confirmed the danger to Harry’s life. It still pulsed red, only it was fainter now. Dumbledore closed his eyes and, sinking into his chair, blew out a shaky breath.



Hermione rose hesitantly. “H-Headmaster, is H-Harry…is he de-” She could not bring herself to say the word. After a short pause she ground out “alright?”



“Harry is alive, Ms. Granger, for the moment.” Dumbledore sighed and appeared to pull himself together. He stood slowly. “However, at this point it is uncertain whether his condition will improve or…shall we say terminate? His health is a very precarious thing at the moment. We must now have both faith and patience. He is only alive at this moment thanks to you and your gift. You will forever have my gratitude and I remain in your debt.” The headmaster’s voice took on a ringing tone for the final statement and when he was finished an invisible bell tolled.



“Sir, you just committed to a wizard debt! To me!” Hermione looked completely shocked. Her shock soon gave way to grief and worry as her eye flicked to the door.



“I did indeed, Ms. Granger. I am literally in your debt. I do not regret it. You have done a heroic thing. You have saved a life for which I was responsible. You completed my duty when I did not. I thank you for that.” He gave a very tired smile. “Now, Ms. Granger, I know you wish to visit your friend. I am sure you know to stay out of Madam Pomfrey’s way. Also please do not comment on or go near Professor Snape or the woman with him. They are both very dangerous at the moment.”



“What—“



“I will explain everything once…the current problems have resolved themselves…for good or for ill.” He added the last in a quiet murmur once Hermione had gone.



Turning, Dumbledore found two sets of worried eyes trained on him. “Ekantika, Olympia, yes I was referring to Ariadne. She is very dangerous at the moment. She and Severus made a huge sacrifice, in performing the spell that may have saved Harry’s life, and used some very Dark magic. It had some…adverse affects on both of them. They are at the moment both feral, if anyone approaches either them or Harry while they are conscious. They are also in great pain. Your sister Aurelia is healing them right now and Isoko has gone for your Family healer, as Madam Pomfrey is, by their insistence only working on Harry.”



Both women stood. “We will go see our sister.” Olympia stated softly but firmly. The two exited swiftly, heading for the infirmary.



Once again, the old man slumped down into his chair. His eyes were fixed on the pulsing rock that lay on his desk. With every moment that passed, it seemed to change its prediction, fading then glowing bright at any given time. The headmaster drew in another shaky breath.



“Fawks.” The bird landed on his shoulder from where it had been circling the room. “I need you to go down to the infirmary and sing to them. Weep on Harry if you believe that will help him, or Severus and Ariadne. Please dear friends, help them live!” The last came out as a sound of utter despair and defeat. Dumbledore, it seemed, had given up hope.



Fawks trilled softly, encouragingly, comfortingly, and disappeared.







[*I would just like to say that I got the flashing thing from Abraxan, but I am pretty sure you all realized that anyway. If you haven
Sign up to rate and review this story