Categories > Books > Harry Potter

Mind Games

by RavenclawRed 1 review

He was convinced that some element of his past would come back to haunt him. He just hadn't expected it to be so...addictive.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Cho,Marietta Edgecombe - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2009-08-15 - Updated: 2009-08-16 - 2104 words

2Original
He needed to have sex with Ginny.

He shuffled in his chair, trying his best to look nonchalant while he wondered why it felt like it had been ages since he'd last bedded a woman. It had to be that, because he could think of no other explanation for his reaction to the newest member of the Auror Squad. It had been a response so powerful that he had been forced to drop on his chair and move it so he was pressed against the edge of the desk, hidden from the other curious eyes in the office. It was the only way he could conceal the sudden, uncontrollable erection that pressed tightly against his pants.

This wasn’t happening. He fumbled for excuses in his head, anything that could answer just why she had triggered that particular reaction, but he couldn’t. So he stared ahead, his eyes blank, as he tried to appear mildly interested. The rest of the squad, the very male squad, was more than interested and if he didn’t play along they would be quick to catch on. Like hell he was going to spend his time at the office being teased. But…he stared at her. How could she do that? How could she ignite him just by stepping into the room like that? He hadn’t thought it to be possible, had no idea that this could happen to a man. He had been caught of guard, and now he couldn’t even find an excuse for his behavior.

Sure, she had always been lovely, with her long dark hair bright brown eyes speckled with gold, but she had always possessed a quality that surpassed her physical beauty. A hint of passion concealed under that of her frail female façade. For a fraction of a second, he wondered just why he hadn’t seen it before, but then it didn’t matter, because he was seeing it now. In the past he had been attracted to what was revealed, what was plain to see. Now he was more interested in the charms that she hid from the rest of the world. That she had once kept hidden from him when they had been younger.

Silently, he watched her from under the thick frame of his glasses, trying his best to cool down the flare her body had ignited while he waited for Sturm to talk. The head of the Auror’s Department was a large but quiet man who only spoke when he was certain that his words would be heard, which was not very often. Most of the Aurors were new, replacing the old ones that had fallen in war, and got easily distracted. She counted as a distraction, and Harry was aware that the chances of her actually working with the all-male crew were slim.

She glanced at his direction and he managed to meet her unfathomable gaze for a few short seconds before switching to the scarred surface of his wooden desk. Sturm’s steely grey eyes followed her gaze, Harry could feel the chill of his lifeless stare on his face as he pried some papers loose before flipping through them with disinterest. He remained quiet. If used correctly, silence could be easily turned into weapon. People tended to lose their resolve and twitter away, often revealing more about themselves than they should.

And for a long time, she kept quiet, set on out waiting him.

She didn’t seem uncomfortable. She hadn’t tensed when Sturm had asked him to proceed with her interview, and she hadn’t sought to fill the silence that had been nagging at them since she’d stepped into the room with mindless blubbering. Instead, she had kept her distance, eyeing him warily from the doorway. He wasn’t going to make things move any faster by eating his words. Harry cleared his throat, she tilted her head, as if she had been expecting his question.

“Your age, Miss…?”

“Chang. Cho Chang.” She said, looking a faintly amused. Of course. He’d already been jotting down her name before she’d answered his question. “I’m five-and-twenty, Mr. Potter.”

“Miss Chang, why are you here?”

“I believe you already know.” His eyebrows rose and she smiled, one delicate eyebrow arching slightly as she mimicked him. “I was informed…” she paused, licking her soft, pink and slightly pouty lips, as she thought. “They told me you still have some empty desks left in the department, and I’m interested. I’ve come for the position you’ve been advertising.”

Few things surprised him nowadays thanks to those several years of turmoil at Hogwarts, but this was definitely an exception. He had suspected that she had been after the job, but he had doubted she would follow through with it. Working with him? He couldn’t believe his eyes. The idea of her working here with him was astonishing. It left his mind reeling in confusion. Didn’t women usually avoid spending time with past loves?

“I didn’t see that coming.” He told her truthfully. Part of him wanted her to back out now, while she still had the chance, but she knew her pride made her as stubborn as he often was. “You don’t look like a person who enjoys tangling with corpses and wannabe dark lords.”

“Because I’m a woman?” for a second, her voice held a hint of a challenge. She wanted him to agree with her, to say she wasn’t fit for the job because of her sex. He wasn’t about to do that. He wanted to get home that night in one piece. “You never said you had to be male to apply. I have the grades, I fought in the last war, and I took two Death Eaters head on that day. Why shouldn’t I be considered for the job?”

“Really?” He didn’t believe her. There had to be another reason, one she wasn’t willing to share with a room full of strangers. He smiled at her, forcing himself to relax. “Then we must’ve met at Hogwarts.”

“I played seeker in the Ravenclaw quidditch team and was chosen as their captain in my final year. I went to the Yule Ball with Cedric Diggory. I think I bumped into you once or twice. I wasn’t paying much attention, really. Fame is overrated.”

“Indeed.” The strain in his smile eased, her other eyebrow rose to join its companion. “Yes…I believe we met a couple of times.”

“I never looked at you closely.” She said suddenly, startling him as he jotted down a few words in the description sheet. “And I must say that you don’t look the way I expected.” He had to stop the hot flush that sped from his toes up to his neck from staining his face crimson as her eyes swept across his face appraisingly. “You’ve grown up.”

“We all do.” He mumbled, trying his best to keep his eyes on the blanks he was filling. “And I don’t think anyone was expecting you to look the way you do. Henry over there thought you’d be an Asian man with a bad accent.”

The man in the corner of the room blanched before burying his head into his folded arms, muttering more to himself than the rest of the group. And she laughed, as smooth as water running down polished stones, as she stared at Henry and then back at him, and Harry realized that he’d never actually heard her laugh. Then she smiled at him, her nose scrunching playfully. “Are you disappointed to find otherwise?”

“No.” and his erection couldn’t agree more with him. The strain on the front of his pants worsened. “I don’t think we are. Did you bring any references? “

“Yes.” She scanned the pages she’d been holding loosely in one hand before pulling one out and walking to his desk, handing it over. "There you go."

"Ah..." Their fingers brushed as he reached out for them. He held his breath. Her lips twitched in discomfort. “Yes…well, let me check these.”

“Take your time.” She looked at him again, in that way only she could, and he stared, taken back by the warm affection in her voice. It almost sounded like she was talking to a brother, to someone close, and not to the pathetic excuse of a boyfriend he had once been. Abashed, he bit his tongue and scanned the page. “I have all day.”

“Didn’t you play for the Tornadoes?” Of course. Thomas couldn’t keep his mouth shut when it came to quidditch. Like Ron, he was a rabid quidditch fan, but his current obsession was reserved for the Tornadoes. “Like, five years ago?”

“I did, actually.” She said, sounding thoughtful. He couldn’t glance up to decipher her expression or his interest would give him away. “I was going to be their new seeker, and I was hoping to replace the captain after he retired.”

“I saw you in the practice grounds.” Thomas said, his voice laced with that childish enthusiasm it always held when it came to discussing the sport. “They named you Rookie of the Year. Why’d you quit?”

“It’s…personal.” Harry nodded in approval. He hadn’t even read the page properly. He just wanted to look at her, to search every detail of her face and etch it into his eager mind. Lavishing all his energy on a reference sheet seemed like such a waste of good time. “My mum was sick and I had to deal with some problems…is it okay?”

Only when her eyes touched his face did he realize she’d switched back to him. “Oh? Err, yes. Fine, fine.” Then came the dreaded question. He’d asked many strangers the same question, why did the words feel so heavy on his tongue this time? “Are you married?”

“Oh, Heavens, no!” She laughed again, like he’d just cracked the funniest joke she’d ever heard. “No, I’m not married.”

“Do you have any children?”

“Not that I know of.” His face blanked, she rolled her eyes as a response. “No, Mr. Potter, I’ve not mothered any bastard children.”

With a hot flush that made his ears burn, Harry smiled sheepishly at her “Okay. Where do you live, Miss Chang?”

“Am I here for an interview?” she smiled at him slowly, the same smile his wife revealed for him after the sultry aftermath of their lovemaking. He throbbed longingly. “Or are we on a date?”

Few women possessed that sensuality. He couldn’t explain just why, it was like that, but she was making him feel like a prized stallion in a stud farm. Her natural warmth called out to him, her fearless attitude captured his attention, and the layer of vulnerability behind her tough façade demanded exploring. It was something he would never do. He was married. He had Ginny. He loved her. Now was not the time to think about his ex girlfriend. He was certain it was not normal for a man to lust after something he’d had before. But had he ever possessed her? She might’ve been his girlfriend once, but they had never been lovers. He had never been deep inside her, thrusting until she was screaming his name in ecstasy, until he fulfilled that raging need. Until he was sedated and so satisfied that his limbs felt like gelatin. And then…

“Ah…sorry, just trying to fill the blanks here.” He was grateful that she had her back to most of the squad and that Thomas was too blinded by his obsession with the Tornadoes to see just how this interview was affecting him. “I think you’re fine for the job. It’s up to Mr. Sturm now.”

“Pick a desk, sit down and shut up.” The growl was all they would ever get as a reply. With the shadow of a grimace on his pale features, Sturm picked up the hat that had been tossed on op of his desk and covered his face, tilting the chair back against his desk so he could catch his usual nap.

“Don’t worry.” Henry added, trying his best to look cheerful after his last slip of the tongue “The inhuman treatment means he likes you, so welcome to the team.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: If you want to ask me something or suggest something, feel free to message me ^^
Sign up to rate and review this story