Categories > Games > Zelda

Plots With Apples

by Mika_the_Red_Panda 0 reviews

Link looks at the water and wonders curiously. Who is the fairest of them all? (LoZ)

Category: Zelda - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Characters: Link - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2009-08-23 - Updated: 2009-08-24 - 1198 words - Complete

0Unrated
A/N: A very straightforward story with an obvious moral. Nothing special to look at; it's only a look into Link's character that takes place in the first game. Not the best work--it's very short with a terrible ending, but I'm rather happy with the outcome all the same. It's old and I'm very sorry that it's not "Ocarina of Time" based. I just think that games gets enough attention as it is.
Genre: General
Warnings: None



It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.
-Mark Twain


Vanity: Plots With Apples (and Motives)

He's never thought about his own reflection, never given it a second glance before now. Now he stares at the murky mirror of a frail boy looking back at him with timid, sunken eyes. He wonders, did Ganon ever stare at his own reflection from time to time? Did he cherish his own visage?

For, that is what power is--the extent of it that Link understands in his frazzled, young mind. It is excessive love of control, and to think that things are better when you yourself are in control...well, that is also excessive love of one's self, is it not?

Link continues to look intently at the boy looking just as intensely back, and realizes that he does not like his own reflection all that much. He is far too thin and stout at the same time. He is not enough person to fit his bubbling thoughts and this distresses him. Looking at the boy before him makes him contemplate the boy. He is careful when he does so, and as honest as he can be.

He fails to covet power. He fails to do so because he cannot grasp the full meaning of power, his life being a whirlwind of powerless servitude to the fates at hand. He fails to recognize wisdom. He fails to do so because all decisions have been placed before him and no mistakes are upon his part, thus he cannot ever learn from which error that is ever his own.

He is loyal and brave, to an extent that he knows not of in its entirety. For though the fates may have planned out that this small boy with the trembling stalks for arms would wield a weapon and save a princess, they failed to foresee his raw emotion for the tasks placed before him. He is quivering right now as he feels the will run through his blood--a thick, sad feeling that the average coward of a man craves.

Link sits himself down on the bank of the lake, green eyes staring at green eyes. He rakes a hand through his auburn hair, the back cropped horridly short and the front's bangs nearing the length where they would blind him soon if he didn't chop them off as well. He truly does look like a mess, even more so without his hat and a baggy tunic to cover the lacking of a stomach that he longs to possess.

Ganon is fat, something tells him in his mind. Ganon gorges himself to the brink with whatever he can find, man or beast, food or object. Not because it pleases him, but because he needs more to control, more to covet. He stuffs himself without even bothering to chew or swallow, never satisfied and never enjoying what he consumes so needfully. So readily.

The boy in the water agrees with him, a solemn look upon his face, his eternally sad eyes gazing up at him imploringly. Why, Link has no idea. He cannot grasp the reflection as himself; he is still far too childish is so many ways. But, he supposes what he is thinking is...

Link looks at the water and wonders curiously. Who is the fairest of them all? Is that not what Ganon wanted? To be the fairest in all of this land, this place called "Hyrule"? He coveted power and longed for it to bring him to greatness. Now he is but a swine in a dungeon section, is he not?

He almost snorts derisively at such irony. He supposes he too wants to be the fairest of them all. Who does not? It is a dream everyone grasps for, in the furthest reaches of their hearts, in the darkest catacombs. For every man is evil to an extent which he himself may never know. He regards the boy below. Is this boy the darkest reaches of his own heart? Does this boy cause him to quail at the thoughts of being inadequate to society's rigid standards and give him desire to rise above that very conduct and force it to bend for him?

It makes the young hero nervous to question such things, and he knows that he shouldn't. Just as the fates never commanded him to be courageous, the fates never bothered to forbid him of thought. It simply is not done. No hero questions himself or the world. No hero wonders if perhaps the princess herself wishes to be the fairest of them all. No hero wonders if perhaps he himself wishes to be the so-called fairest. That perhaps he and Ganon, that everyone and Ganon, are not that different after all.

As soon as Link grasps what his reflection truly means to him--how ugly every reflection is, no matter who's it is--he frowns tightly. The boy does as well, for he knows that he has been found out. That he cannot seduce the once above him with ideas of greatness or narcissism or loathing.

Link stands up, raising his foot, and sends it crashing into the water, droplets cascading downwards like a pathetic attempt at mocking a waterfall. He backs away from the lake with a newfound understanding. He knows he will see the boy again--of course he will--but he and the boy have an agreement now.

The boy will no longer haunt him and force him to try to grab at things which are unattainable, at perfection that has never existed. And he will leave that boy alone for as long as he can stand to. After all, Link and the boy are two sides of one coin. They look alike, though one seems to have sunshine dust in his eyes, clouding up his vision of the cleansing rain.

And Link becomes very sad. He stares morosely at the edge of his tunic, twisting his hat in his small hands. Biting his lip, he begins to move again, heaving his sword and shield onto his little back. He needs to put a stop to Ganon. He needs to show Ganon that he is never going to be the fairest of them all. He needs to save the princess. He needs to show the princess that she too is never going to be the fairest of them all. That no one is ever going to be, because they will always long for the better still. Link pushes the thought of his mind by ending with one last question to himself before returning to his mechanical mode.

Is he the only who doesn't wish to be the fairest of them all?
Sign up to rate and review this story