Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu Yu Hakusho

Dance Inside

by SereneShadow 0 reviews

Yusuke returns home from the demon world as he promised. But is everything between him and Keiko the same? Songfic to the song of the same name by the All-American Rejects.

Category: Yu Yu Hakusho - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Keiko,Yusuke - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2009-08-25 - Updated: 2009-08-27 - 2009 words - Complete

0Unrated
Dance Inside

Yusuke's jeep came to a stop at the end of the road, which technically was a good thing; otherwise, he and Keiko, on their very first date, would be thrown off a cliff into the sea. She sat up, alert, but not worried, and they surveyed the area for quite some time.

It was only slightly awkward—the kind of awkward that came from liking each other for many years, but never really getting to spend time like this together. The kind of awkward that came from always thinking of each other as merely a good friend, nothing more. But this time, things were different. They had eaten dinner at a casual restaurant, making small talk and each staying wary of the other. And now, at sunset, they were going to sit in Yusuke's car and overlook the scenery.

It was really pretty out, but Yusuke's eyes were drawn to Keiko rather than the ocean or the sunset. "It's really pretty," she murmured, her large brown eyes searching the horizon.

You don't have to move,
You don't have to speak.
Lips for biting.


Yusuke's eyes that seemed to match Keiko's in a weird sort of way tried to remain latched onto her face as he pulled them away to look out at sea. "Yup," he agreed, and then felt instantly foolish for such an offhand comment. This second-guessing himself thing didn't suit him at all. He felt nervous, jumpy, and altogether unsure of himself, which was a very un-Yusuke thing to do, making him all the more embarrassed. But Keiko didn't seem to notice, and for that he was glad. His fingers found the radio, and he turned it to his favorite station, which also happened to be Keiko's. She glanced at him happily, and looked back out at the ocean, rolling down her window to stick her head out.

You're staring me down,
A glance makes me weak.
Eyes for striking.


As she put her head out to breathe in the sea air, Keiko was glad that she was here with Yusuke. She didn't want anyone else—she had tried to date other boys (sort of) during his last absence, and it had never gone past a first date.
She had kept telling herself that he would never come back, that he'd die over there, but she had never believed it, and in her heart she had known even then that they were meant to be together. Being out with him like this was kind of nerve-wracking, but not because she was feeling awkward.

She had thought of Yusuke as a romantic figure for some time. It was the fact that she could lose him so easily—moments like these almost seemed to be too good to be true when she thought of how he used to fight for his life every other day. She pulled her head back into the car and smiled at Yusuke.

Now I'm twisted up
When I'm twisted with you.
Brush so lightly.


Keiko tossed her head back and Yusuke watched her hair flow gracefully from her head. It was so much longer than before he had gone to the Demon World. The last time he had seen it so long was when she was a little girl, maybe eight or nine, and her mom had decided that Keiko looked better with short hair. Yusuke went with her to the salon and held her hand when they cut off several inches from her hair.[1]

Since then it had remained short, and seemed to get shorter up until part of it was burned off while she was trying to rescue him. He liked it long like this. She seemed so elegant and beautiful, though he would have still liked her without it. Hell, he would have liked her with her head shaved. She was gorgeous, but that was not why he cared so much about her, that he knew.

And time trickles down
And I'm breathing for two.
Squeeze so tightly.


"It was a really good idea to come out here, Yusuke." Keiko smiled again, and he did too in a nervous sort of way.

"Well, I was driving a couple of days ago and saw it. This is a really nice view." He sounded like an idiot when he spoke, so he decided not to speak anymore. Keiko caught on to his tension, but did not either inherit nor acknowledge it.

"What's on the radio?" She asked, and he turned it up a bit so she could hear. It was some song from the 80s, and Keiko wasn't a loyal fan to that particular decade, so she paid more attention to the scenery.

"I can see how Columbus might have thought that the world was flat..." She tried to strike up a conversation. It didn't work. Yusuke knew squat about history and yet didn't feel like revealing that to someone who already knew well enough.

"Yup," he muttered again, internally scolding himself for being so blunt. Keiko giggled.

"Nice vocabulary, Yusuke," she grinned. He softly punched her arm.

"Whatever!"

I'll be fine
You'll be fine
This moment seems so long.
Don't waste, now, precious time.
We'll dance inside the song.


The sun was setting far on the horizon, and it had been a sunny day with absolutely no clouds, so this view was perfect. Both were lost in the warmth of the orange light, but Yusuke's mind was still on Keiko, and how different she was.

She was calm, almost laid back now. He liked her more this way, he believed. It was nicer than getting yelled at every other day. "So, why did you bring me out here?" Keiko asked, adding, "Not that I mind or anything," directly after. Yusuke shrugged.

"I thought it would be fun. Are you bored?" She shook her head rapidly.

"It's lovely." He now grinned, his nervousness forgotten for a moment.

"Lovely. Wow, you sound fifty years old when you say that." Now she punched his arm, and it wasn't softly. He smiled again.

What makes the one to shake you down?
Each touch belongs to each new sound.
Say now you want to shake me too,
Move down to me,
Slip into you.


Keiko looked into his eyes, those that so closely mirrored hers, and wanted to lean in and kiss him. As she began to do so, the radio began going a bit fuzzy, so Yusuke reached over and turned it off.

When he did this, it broke the moment and Keiko looked back out through the windshield at the sun's light dancing on the water. The sun was almost gone now, save a strip of orange and yellow on the horizon. Keiko vaguely noticed that it would be dark soon, and immediately wondered if that was a bad thing, or a good thing. Did she want to be out here in the dark with Yusuke? It wasn't a matter of trust—she trusted him with her life, as she had done so on many occasions. Perhaps she was just nervous, or—

She sinks in my mind
As she sheds through her skin.
Touch, sight, tastes like fire.


"It's gonna get dark soon," said Yusuke, reading her mind (figuratively, of course.)

"Yeah," she piped up, not sure of what he would say next.

"What time do you need to be back by?" He asked, checking the clock. It was barely seven.

"Not until ten," she said quietly.

"Well, what do you wanna do?" Yusuke asked, always his blunt self. Keiko shrugged.

Hands who no longer know
What else to defend,
Hands to fuel desire.


"Do you want to go see if we can catch a movie or something?" Yusuke asked, and Keiko shook her head politely.

"I'm fine here. It's nice, you know? Really pretty and quiet and all that." Yusuke was silent. The truth was that he didn't want to see a movie either. He just wanted to make sure that she was happy. She seemed to be that here, though, so he was content with staying.

"Cold?" Asked Yusuke, and Keiko shrugged.

"Not particularly," she said, as the sun finally dropped out of sight and the sky immediately began to pink. "Look at the colors..." Keiko drifted off. The sky was a wonderful mixture of blue and pink mingled with purple and streaks of orange. The water moved slowly in front of them, reflecting the sky's color.

I'll be fine,
You'll be fine
This moment seems so long.
Don't waste, now, precious time.
We'll dance inside the song.


As she watched the water, Keiko saw a stream of ocean water fly into the sky. "A whale!" She gasped, and they sat up to see better. It was not just one whale, but several in a passing fleet. Keiko giggled with excitement, and Yusuke's fears were forgotten.

No one had ever heard of something going wrong when a whale was around, had they? He and Keiko enjoyed watching the spouts of water and trying to figure out how many whales were in the crowd, the two of them sitting close together, and Keiko's sleeveless arm brushing his.

What makes the one to shake you down?
Each touch belongs to each new sound.
Say now you want to shake me too.
Move down to me,
Slip into you.


"There has got to be at least twenty of them!" Keiko exclaimed, her voice overjoyed. Yusuke looked at her, and she looked at him, and the whales were forgotten.

"Keiko..." he whispered, and their faces moved toward one another. It seemed like an eternity and Keiko was staring right into his lips which appeared very inviting and lush today.

She felt as though it took hours for their mouths to collide, but of course that wasn't the case as they had only been a foot apart in the first place. Their lips finally met, and after several minutes an innocent kiss turned into a more passionate one. Yusuke's arms found their ways around Keiko's hips, and hers wrapped around the back of his neck, deepening the kiss.

I'll be fine.
You'll be fine.
Is this fine?
I'm not fine.
Give me pieces,
Give me things to stay awake.


They pulled apart after several minutes, breathing hard. Yusuke waited to see Keiko's reaction, and when he could tell that she was pleased, he went in for another. This one was even more passionate than the last, and both were extremely happy that these kisses—like their first one on a beach nearby after having not seen each other for three years—were not a disappointment.

It had been a serious worry of Keiko's that when she would kiss Yusuke, it would be like kissing a brother (not that she had ever done so.) This was, of course, nothing like that, and she felt with assurance that she was in love with him.

What makes the one to shake you down?
Each touch belongs to each new sound.
Say now you want to shake me too.
Move down to me,
Slip into you.


After a long kiss, the two pulled apart but kept their foreheads pressed together and looked into each other's eyes. Yusuke was smiling slightly, as if he had also been worried that things wouldn't work out. But, to both of them, it was very evident that they, in fact, would.

Keiko took a deep breath and spoke. "Yusuke...I think I'm in love with you." Yusuke gasped slightly, closed his eyes, and smiled.

"That's funny; I think I'm in love with you too." Keiko smiled widely, and threw herself into Yusuke's arms, and they kissed yet again.

What makes the one to shake you down?
Each touch belongs to each new sound.
Say now you want to shake me too.
Move down to me,
Slip into you.
Move down to me,
Slip into you.


[1] I completely made this up. When the story begins Keiko's hair is only down to around her shoulders, and I have no idea how long it was during her childhood.
Sign up to rate and review this story