Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu Yu Hakusho

Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown on a Bad Bet

by SereneShadow 0 reviews

It wasn't really betrayal--at least not in Hiei's opinion. You were too worthless to be considered something valuable, even if Kurama prized you as his "wife." It wasn't wrong. It wasn't a mistake....

Category: Yu Yu Hakusho - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Hiei - Warnings: [!!] [X] - Published: 2009-08-28 - Updated: 2009-08-29 - 1292 words - Complete

0Unrated
Headfirst Slide into Cooperstown on a Bad Bet

Mr. Sandman showing his beam
When he walks into the room the walls lean in to listen.
Surf out brain waves; flick back and forth
Like old headlines sniffing model glue again.
Head like a steel trap
Wish I didn't, I didn't, I didn't, I didn't, I didn't, I didn't, I didn't,
I don't just want to be a footnote
In someone else's happiness.


Hiei had fallen for you almost as quickly as Kurama had, but for different reasons. He loved you because you were brilliant, because you were not a fool, but most of all, because you made him feel needed.

His years alone and his years as Yusuke's friend had taught him that life is very cruel, and that it is important to take what one wants when one can. Thus, he had not pulled away when you had kissed him outside of Genkai's, and he had not stopped you from advancing on him when the two of you had met in your house while Kurama had been (as you both had believed) at work.

This had begun a long and mostly fulfilling affair, though Hiei had discovered halfway through that Kurama had known all along that you had been together. For some reason, however, this did not stop him. It normally went against everything he stood for to betray his friend, but Kurama had not stopped the two of you, and so, though he knew that Kurama didn't approve, Hiei did not stop coming to see you while Kurama was away, and he did not stop sharing a bed with you while Kurama was away.

True, that he had not spoken to Kurama fully once since discovering that Kurama knew that you and Hiei had been together…but so what? What did that prove? And anyway, what right did Kurama have to claim such a treasure as you for his own, to be shared with no one else? Had Hiei not earned his right to happiness his entire life, living with one struggle after another, only to lose again because Kurama had found you first?

Does your husband know the way that
The sunshine gleams from your wedding band?
Does he know the way—
Does he know the way
Of the crickets that would convince me to call it a night?
But I will never end up like him;
Behind my back, I already am.
Keep a calendar, this way you will always know
The last time you came through.
Oh, darling, I know what you're going through.
The last time you came through.
Oh, darling, oh, darling, oh, darling.


These thoughts raced through his mind as he lay next to you on your bed after another night that you had shared. You had no idea that Kurama knew about the two of you, and Hiei had no intention of telling you. He knew that you would call it off immediately and apologize to Kurama, possibly severing your ties to both of them simultaneously.

Hiei did not want Kurama to suffer, but he also felt strangely selfish when it came to you. He did not enjoy sharing you, and he did not enjoy smelling Kurama on you as he often did, and yet, what was there to do?

Your hands were thrown up on the pillow around your head, reminiscent of the way they were thrown up when Hiei pinned them down, and he saw a glint of light on your wedding ring from the sun's morning rays. He wondered how often Kurama had lain here seeing the same reflection.

Tempest in a teacup—get unique.
A peroxide princess; shine like shark teeth.
It's a sign—
(It's a sign)
It's a sign—
(It's a sign)
It's a sign—
What if you peaked early?


Hiei had, unfortunately, also smelled other men on your breath. At first it had been easy to ignore; perhaps you had been talking to someone in close proximity, or perhaps you had taken public transportation and had sat next to a male.

However, as the months had passed, and as you had seemingly begun to grow distant with Hiei himself, his suspicions had begun to grow similar to Kurama's. Was it possible that you were sleeping with other men as well? Initially he would have denied your ability to do so, but each time he smelled the scent of another male on your body, he had been less able to convince himself of your fidelity.

After all, the idea that you had any fidelity was laughable—just look at how faithful you were to Kurama. Had Hiei been a fool to expect you to be more faithful to him?

Does your husband know the way that
The sunshine gleams from your wedding band?
Does he know the way—
Does he know the way
Of the crickets that would convince me to call it a night?
Does he, does he know the way to worship our love?
Does your husband know the way that
The sunshine gleams from your wedding band?
But I will never end up like him;
Behind my back, I already am.
Keep a calendar, this way you will always know
The last time you came through.
Oh, darling, I know what you're going through.
The last time you came through.
Oh, darling, oh, darling, oh, darling.


He felt suddenly sure of it as he heard your breathing just next to him. You were also cheating on Hiei. Good god, what would it take to satisfy you? He thought faintly of strangling you in your sleep, and he felt deep and embarrassed shame at believing all you had said to him. You had literally cried in his arms from guilt about betraying Kurama—had it all been a lie?

Though he was miserable and guilty and embarrassed, Hiei found that he only felt a dull pang where you were concerned. You had lied to him, and you had used him, and perhaps you had never truly loved him either. Perhaps you had only been concerned with the high that you had gotten from the rush of a dangerous and forbidden relationship.

He felt regret over his actions now, as he came to know how Kurama must have been feeling. He had commiserated with you and your guilt at betraying Kurama, he had known how you had felt, had experienced the same trials, and now he felt connected to Kurama in the same way.

Well, does your husband know?
Does your husband know?
Does your husband know?
Does he know, does he know, does he know?


They had both trusted you, and you had let them both down. How many more men would it take to satisfy you? How many more hearts would you have to destroy to get your fill of it? Hiei had not known passion until being with you, and yet it had all been a façade, orchestrated by you to gratify an urge; a craving for physical pleasure.

But what could he do? How could he leave you, when you had been the only person to show him love? How long could this continue, with you running off and having sex with every man on the earth, and each one turning a blind eye like the one before him? Hiei had always thought that he had known what you had been suffering through, but in truth, he had had no idea.

But I will never end up like him;
Behind my back, I already am.
Keep a calendar, this way you will always know
The last time you came through.
Oh, darling, I know what you're going through.
The last time you came through.
Oh, darling, I know what you're going through.
Sign up to rate and review this story