Categories > Anime/Manga > Pokemon > Lucian, M.D.

Call at 3 AM

by GalacticFTW 0 reviews

Category: Pokemon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2009-10-03 - Updated: 2009-10-03 - 1643 words

0Unrated
Chapter 98

I woke up to the sound of the phone ringing… at 3:30 AM. I got out of bed, turned on the master bathroom light, and looked for it and picked it up. “Hello…,” I groaned. “What do you want…,” I didn’t mean to say that. I looked at Cynthia… sound asleep as usual.

“My b-brother… Cyrus… t-there’s something wrong-g with him…,” Dirk almost broke down.

“Oh… it’s Dirk! I’m so sorry… you weren’t saying anything,” I scowled. “W-what happened…?” I gulped.

“He-he’s in a com-a…,” he was crying… yes, actually crying. “I-I’ve ne-never seen him like this-s b-before…”

“I’m coming…,” I had no idea how to react. I’ve never seen someone so scared like that in their whole life.

“T-Thank y-ou…,” he hung up without saying anything else. I sighed. I tapped her on the shoulder.

“Huh…,” she opened one eye. “What’s wrong?” She blinked and looked at the clock. “It’s 3:36 AM…,” she groaned and fell backwards on the bed. “…One of the reasons why I hate being a doctor!”

“I know, I agree,” I sighed. “There’s something wrong with Cyrus though… Dirk said he was in a coma.”

“A coma…!” Her eyes widened as big as saucers. She immediately jumped out of bed. “Let’s go!” I stared at her naked body… wow.

“My God you’re so hot…,” I drooled. I snapped out of it. “Never mind!” I went the closet and without thinking put on a pair of jeans with no boxers. Ouch… big mistake. My eyes widened. “Oh shit,” I cursed.

“Is something wrong?” She turned around to look at me.

“I forgot to put on boxers…,” I cringed. She chuckled at me… really hard… so hard that she almost fell over backwards. At first I thought it wasn’t funny but I started to laugh as well as I took off my jeans and then found some boxers. I had trouble putting them on because we were laughing so hard. We finally stopped and snuck out the front door. The others will know we’re gone anyway.

We rushed to the hospital as quickly as possible, up a few flights of stairs (elevators are too damn slow!) and around a few corners. We had finally made it to Cyrus’s room. We panted for several minutes and finally caught out breaths.

“What’s going on...?” I looked at the solemn Dirk with unemotional eyes. He was sniffling like crazy. I took a peek at Cyrus “...He was uremic frost on his face... which means his kidneys are failing somehow... he’s in an uremic come at the moment...,” I sighed. “He has diabetes,” I opened one of his eyelids. No response. “We have to treat him ASAP,” I commanded.

“Yes sir,” Dirk nodded.

“Yes,” Cynthia nodded sleepily.

“He’ll need an ACE inhibitor,” I yawned. “If I could find it...”

“I’ll look for one,” he said. “I shouldn’t have called... you two look like zombies. Please rest... OK?” He looked at us with empathy.

“Right... thank you,” I smiled.

“Thank you Dirk,” she said sleepily again.

“Bye!” We said in unison sleepily. We both decided just to sleep in the on-call room, just in case if an emergency happens. The on-call room is very plain; with just a couple of couches... and the floors are tiled an ugly shade of brown along with the walls painted an ugly shade of green. But it is a very comfortable room, I’ve been in here a few times. I like the fact that it has a TV... I looked to make sure there was no one in was on the couch. Good, there wasn’t anyone. She quickly fell asleep on top of me. We woke up a few hours later, it was 7:50.

“Cynthia..., wake up,” I yawned. She opened her eyes and smiled. “You’re still on top of me, could you get off please?”

“Yes,” she giggled and got off. I got off the couch to notice a large depression on the couch. I chuckled slightly and we walked out of the room and both stretched. I heard both our stomachs. She giggled. “Someone’s hungry eh?” She said sarcastically.

“Yes,” I replied. “What would you want from the cafe downstairs?”

“Hmmm... not sure, let’s go look,” she smiled. I smiled back and we walked to the cafe (I still prefer the vending machines... I get root beers, which I haven’t had in about three months). The cafe looks like a small restaurant; completely with a nice buffet, tables and booths. The buffet usually has salad, dressing, cheese, bacon, pizza, macaroni and cheese along with soup of the day. The booths are nice and comfortable with nice leather seating and with brown cushions (I have no idea what they’re called). The tables are nice because they’re made out of steel and a type of plastic coating that looks like granite. There’s also a skylight on the ceiling, which produces most of the lighting in the daytime. It’s really nice. I looked up at the skylight and saw a few Staravias fly by. Even though there aren’t any breakfast foods, I decided to get some soup. Yes such a weird breakfast, but good at the same time. I looked at it... I think it was chicken noodle. Cynthia must have gotten the same idea as me, because she got the same thing as me.

“Psych!” We both said in unison and laughed all the way to the booth. She sat down next to me and I wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

“Hey!” Dirk called.

“Hey, come sit, please!” I smiled.

“Yes, please!” Cynthia smiled as well.

“OK,” he smiled and sat down opposite of us. “Oh yeah, my brother is doing better!” He smiled so brightly. He must have had his teeth whitened because it hurt my eyes when he smiled.

“GOOD!” We both said in unison happily. I ate the soup happily.

“And that one person... my new case, I wonder how he is doing?”

“The guy with the missing arm?” He looked at me.

“Yeah. Is he OK?” I asked.

“I think so, he is stable for right now,” he replied.

“Alright,” I sucked the rest of my soup down and sighed. “Ahh.”

“Hehe,” she giggled and did the same. I hoped no one thought it was rude. He chuckled a little. Before I could say anything else, my pager rang.

“Oh no,” I sighed and got up. They did the same as well. “Come on...,” I took both our bowls to where they keep the dirty dishes.

“Thank you!” A cafeteria lady said.

“No problem!” My voice trailed as we rushed up the stairs as fast as possible; without stopping. We huffed and panted so hard that I started to cough. We had finally made it to the room.

“Arghh....!!! IT HURTS!!!” The patient screamed bloody murder.

“What hurts?” Dirk asked.

“My arm...!!!”

“Which arm, sir?”

“My right...!!!” He continued to scream.

“His phantom pain is back,” Dirk sighed.

“Yes,” I nodded. “Need some morphine, stat!”

“Yes sir!” Cynthia nodded and went to look for some morphine. Sure this drug is dangerous for addiction, and can cause comas, constipation, respiratory arrest and death occasionally. But if it isn’t used in excess, it is an excellent pain reliever. “I found some,” she put a little bit in the needle and immediately injected it via intramuscular into the screaming patient. He finally stopped screaming about five minutes later. All three of us sighed in relief.

“I think he is better now, we need to give him something else so he can leave soon,” I spoke up.

“Vicodin?” Dirk and Cynthia asked.

“Yes, good choice,” I nodded.

“Lucian, you have a new case!” Baum rushed in.

“What is it?”

“Come and see!” He blinked.

“Right,” I walked out with Cynthia following. Dirk stayed behind. Baum led me to the patient.

“Oh my God...,” Cynthia and I said in unison. The patient was literally bleeding out of every sweat pore on her body. But why and how? We both gulped. We had the “what now?” look on our faces. Even Baum was slightly confused and wondering what we should do next.

“What do we do next?” I said... sighing and muttering to myself...

...TBC...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Sorry, I forget to do this:

Diagnosis for patient #1: Gonorrhea.

Diagnoses for patients #2-6 (including Jacques): Klebsiella pneumoniae infections of the bladder/kidneys.

Diagnosis for patient #7: None, reoccurring phantom pain.

Diagnosis for Cyrus: Uremic coma due to kidney failure.

Diagnosis for Aaron (lol yep him, too, in case you forget): Hypogonadism and anemia due to it.

Dictionary:

~Phantom pain: Sensations are described as perceptions that an individual experiences relating to a limb or an organ that is not physically part of the body.

~Intramuscular: Is the injection of a substance directly into a muscle.

~Uremia/Uremic coma: Is a term used to loosely describe the illness accompanying kidney failure. An uremic coma is caused by this.

Klebsiella pneumonia: Is a form of bacterial pneumonia associated with Klebsiella pneumoniae. It can cause infections of the kidneys.

~Gonorrhea: A sexually transmitted disease caused by gonococcal bacteria that affects the mucous membrane chiefly of the genital and urinary tracts and is characterized by an acute purulent discharge and painful or difficult urination, though women often have no symptoms. Sometimes caused by unprotected sex.

~Hypogonadism: Diminished hormonal or reproductive functioning in the testes or the ovaries.

~Anemia: A quantitative deficiency of the hemoglobin, often accompanied by a reduced number of red blood cells and causing pallor, weakness, and breathlessness.

~Hemoglobin: The oxygen-carrying pigment of red blood cells that gives them their red color and serves to convey oxygen to the tissues

Think that's it, salut!
Sign up to rate and review this story