Categories > Books > Harry Potter

The Transfer Student

by Quillian 14 reviews

One-shot! After killing Voldemort, Harry was exonerated after being proven innocent for a crime he did not committ. However, when he forced to return to school, will he go back to Hogwarts or go ...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry - Published: 2005-05-17 - Updated: 2005-05-17 - 4185 words - Complete

5Insightful
DISCLAIMER: I don't own Harry Potter, etc. J.K. Rowling and a bunch of other very rich people do.

SUMMARY: This is your typical "Betrayed-Harry-in-Azkaban" story... but with a twist. What if he was forced to complete his education, but found a way so he didn't have to do it at Hogwarts? (And let's face it, folks... where has that been done before?)

/"The Transfer Student,"/

By Quillian



Dedicated to Shawn Pickett, since I got the idea for this fic with his review for chapter 6 of "Reap What You Sow."
/Also dedicated to marietsy, for letting me borrow her made-up locale of The Institute of Science and Magic, in Ontario, Canada./


A dedication also goes to Corwalch, for allowing me to use part of the Dursley's financial situation from her amazing HP/SG-1 crossover, "A Place Where I Belong."



I was rather amused by the confrontation between Albus and Harry "I'm sorry, your a minor, I must insist that you return to school." Yeah, that would go so well, pissed off at the world Harry locked up at Hogwarts with the people that screwed him over. Also, news flash, Hogwarts ain't the only magical school in the world, Harry could transfer somewhere else for his education that didn't involve him dealing with a bunch of two faced, sniveling, lieing, hypocritical, little worms bad enough to send Santa Clause, Jesus Christ, or Ghandi into a homicidal rage on a daily basis. -Shawn Pickett, commenting on chapter 6 of "Reap What You Sow."



It was the end of August, and in a suburb in Little Whinging, Surrey, a young adult sat near the window of his small bedroom, gazing out of it as he thought about everything that had happened and what he was planning to do from here.

Harry Potter, now seventeen years old, had spent what would have been his sixth year at Hogwarts in Azkaban instead, accused and convicted of the murder of Remus Lupin.

At the so-called "trial," the corrupt Wizengamot silenced Harry and allowed his his former "friends" and "surrogate family" twist the truth into a bilge testimony to ensure that Harry would rot in Azkaban. As Harry was dragged right out of the courtroom, they set his possessions on fire, looking smug all the time.

The following summer, Voldemort broke into Azkaban and kidnapped Harry, going to Hogwarts from there. Harry had done his best to withstand the dementors' terrible power, and was able to hang on just enough to retain his sanity.

After Voldemort went through with the motions of gloating about how everyone stupidly betrayed Harry, the Boy Who Lived (feigning immobility) quickly turned the tables, and with the help of the one person who believed in him... Tonks//.

During the summer after Harry's disastrous fifth year, she and Harry came together in a way, since both were grieving. She even instructed him in defense.

By the end of the summer, both of them could feel something between them, and it certainly wasn't platonic or formal... but both of them denied it, or at least for the time being.

While Harry was in Azkaban, he finally came to the conclusion that he was in love with Tonks, and somehow new that deep down, the feelings were mutual.

After Harry finally vanquished Voldemort (with some help from Tonks), Harry was once again in a courtroom in the Ministry of Magic, just telling everything that happened from his perspective. A grouchy Fudge had declared him innocent and offered half a million Galleons as compensation. (Harry would turn that down later; not only did he have enough money between his family's wealth and inheritance from Sirius, but he wouldn't be caught dead accepting so much as a Knut from the corrupt Minister of Magic and his lackeys.)

After Harry spent the night at the Leaky Cauldron, Dumbledore came and informed him that due to Ministry laws that had been revived, Harry now had to return to school to complete his education. Harry wanted to rip the old man's head off, but grudgingly accepted that he really had no choice in the matter.

Harry went downstairs to the taxi which would take him to the Dursleys' house, favoring them much more than the Weasleys and his other "friends" at the moment. As he made his way past those who betrayed him (looking as guilty as hell and just about ready to start pleading for forgiveness), he muttered three very simple yet powerful words that put them in their places: "I hate you."

Tonks was already in the taxi, since she volunteered to escort him back. As the car drove off, Harry and Tonks were talking about rather important things.

"Good to see you again, Harry!" she exclaimed, hugging him close. Since he had taken a shower and changed into fresh new clothes, he was looking somewhat better already.

"Nice to see you too, Tonks," he chuckled, although it sounded a little bit strained.

"Cheer up, Harry, I got something for you," she said with a wink. She pulled out a small trunk which looked like Harry's...

"But... how...?" Harry whispered, confused.

"I was able to get to your trunk in time before the bastards could burn it, and I replaced it with a fake one just to make sure they would fall for it!" he told him victoriously. "And boy, did they fall for it!"

Harry laughed for a few moments before finally calming down. "I can't thank you enough, Tonks."

"Don't mention it, Harry."

Once Harry got back to Privet Drive (and informed the shocked and enraged Dursleys of the situation with much satisfaction), Tonks helped him move all the stuff back up to his room. Already waiting at the window was Hedwig, whom Tonks had been taking care of.

After Tonks helped Harry get everything back where it belonged, Harry sat down on his bed, emotions running around.

"What is it?" Tonks asked. "Apart from his whole big bad betrayal experience, I mean."

Harry sighed. "I never thought that I'd actually want to /stay /here at Privet Drive rather than go back to Hogwarts. Stupid new Ministry law... it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they did it just so they could get me under their thumb again..."

Tonks/ had to agree with them... but then, a smile slowly spread across her face./

"No offense, Tonks, but exactly what are you so happy about?"

"Actually, Harry," she said, with a devious look in her eye, "The law states that students having to resume 'previously disrupted educations' must go to the same school as before /unless /their parents or guardians sign special papers allowing their student to transfer to another school instead."

Light dawned in Harry's mind as he slowly got his own smile. "A fact which Dumb-Old-Dork neglected to tell me..."

Tonks/ laughed. "All you need to do is get the Dursleys to sign the papers, and you're free of those backstabbing traitors."/

Harry's smile faded as he realized something. "Erm, what papers and how do I convince them?"

Tonks/ winked. "Being a Ministry employee, I believe I can help in that department. As for convincing them... well, I'm sure you'll be able to find acceptable ways of convincing them to sign the papers," she joked, playfully messing up his hair./

Harry laughed. "So this will work, huh?"

"Oh, you bet it will!" Tonks chuckled. "Both Dumbledore and Fudge will be too busy dreaming of having you back to actually see what's right in front of them!"

/As Tonks bade farewell, Harry made to stop her... and ended up holding her hand in his. After an awkward moment between the two of them, Harry found his voice again. "Um, Tonks... thanks again... for /everything."

For the next few days, while Tonks got the papers needed for such a task, Harry was looking for ways to successfully convince the Dursleys, and finally found something he could use to his advantage.

So, after the papers were signed with almost no fuss whatsoever, Harry settled back to enjoy his summer as much as he could. Thankfully, the wards were set so that only Hogwarts or the Ministry could contact him, although Harry would have preferred no mail from any of them whatsoever (minus Tonks, of course).

A few days before his seventeenth birthday, he received such letters he would have preferred not to get. One was from the Minister himself, using more than a hundred words when ten would have sufficed; it included an order for remuneration and an Order of Merlin, First Class, which would be awarded once he was back at Hogwarts.

There's just one problem, Minister Fuckface, Harry thought grinning devilishly, that ain't gonna happen.

The next two were from Hogwarts, one being from McGonagall (an official apology and a list of books and supplies for next year), and one from Dumbledore, which was utter bullshit in Harry's honest opinion. He just did not trust that man anymore.

Through a correspondence with Tonks, Harry also learned that Hagrid had believed in his innocence, but had unfortunately died in one of the battles in the war. He silently thanked his first true friend.

On his birthday, Harry purposely wanted until midnight; he knew the bunch of backstabbing hypocrites would try to send him things for his birthday. Just as his clock showed the time to be midnight, he could see a swarm of owls flying towards Privet Drive; just in time, he put up magical wards so only Hedwig could get through. While his own snowy owl flew gracefully through his open window, the other owls were confused before flying back off to wherever they came from.

It was a gift from Tonks. Opening it up, he saw that it was all his supplies that he would need next year for the new school he was going to. Harry scribbled a thank-you note and sent it back with Hedwig. In the meantime, he took everything out of his trunk given by those who betrayed him and put them in the empty box, planning on sending them back; after all the things he said and did to him, he wouldn't be caught dead in their debt.

Besides, sending their things back would undoubtedly throw them for a loop, since they were all still thinking that they had burned everything Harry owned. Harry briefly wondered if he should keep acting as though they had succeeded in their heinous act, but reasoned that burning the fake trunk proved that they had no qualms about doing the real thing.

Currently, Harry was just finalizing his travel plans. Safely secure in his trunk was a Portkey which Tonks had gotten him. All his things were packed, and all his affairs were in order.

In fact, Tonks came over personally to wish him off the day before.

"Good luck at your new school, Harry," she said with a dazzling smile on her face. "Which one is it again?"

"The Institute of Science and Magic," Harry told her. "The one in Ontario, Canada."

"Ooh, have an interest in that kind of stuff, Harry?"

"It sounded interesting," Harry shrugged, "but also because if I were to go to one of the schools closer to here, like Beauxbatons or Durmstrang, I'd have to learn a new language."

"That's true," Tonks chuckled.

"At least I don't have to go to Hogwarts any more," Harry said yet again. "The school is nice and all, but forcing me to forgive the people who betrayed me just isn't going to work, which they fail to realize. You know... I originally planned to go to this school in Canada just so I could deliberately flunk out as quickly as possible, but now I'm having second thoughts about that..."

"I know what you mean, Harry," Tonks smiled. "And I say at least give it a try before you do anything so rash."

"Good thinking," Harry replied. "Then again, I can think of someone here I'll miss..."

Tonks/ blushed and her spiky pink hair turned red. "Aw, that's so sweet Harry..."/

Harry got up and hugged her fiercely. "You have been such a help, Tonks, you have no idea," he murmured.

"Glad to help," Tonks whispered back. "And besides, I can think of something else you can do with..."
For the next moment, Harry and Tonks shared a long, tender kiss.

Harry made sure he would never forget that wonderful memory.

The next morning, Harry made sure everything was ready to be sent to whom it belonged to. All the possessions he was giving back would go to the Order of the Phoenix, a Howler would be sent to Dumbledore just in time during the Welcoming Feast, and the Dursleys would get a letter of their own.

Speaking of which... after doing some research, Harry found out that the Dursleys got the for their home as a wedding gift from Petunia and Lily's parents (Harry's maternal grandparents) had really came from Harry's parents; James and Lily Potter knew that the soon-to-be-Dursleys would never accept anything from the Potters, so they had it go through the Evanses instead. However, the Dursleys' big mistake was to stop paying the loan back, and instead the money went to funding their own lifestyle (not to mention all the countless things they got Dudley over the years).

Harry considered letting them deal with their own problems, but found a much better way of dealing with it. Instead, he used a small portion of all his wealth (a drop in the bucket, actually), and paid off the loan for them. So, in the letter to them, Harry explained his findings and his way of "repaying" him, saying that thanks to the magic they hated so much, they could now continue to live in their magic-free home. That would definitely rile them, being in debt to him like that.

On the first day of Septemeber, Harry got all his things together and took one last look at his room and said good-bye and good riddance to Number 4, Privet Drive and the Dursleys.

Activating the Portkey, he disappeared from there forever.

A few moments later, he reappeared at the Portkey station within the Canadian Ministry of Magic.

A middle-aged wizard looked up from his papers with shock to see Harry Potter standing there with all his luggage. "Harry Potter?" he whispered.

"Yes," he answered neutrally. "I transferred to the Institute of Science and Magic."

"Well, it's hardly morning here, and the train leaves at noon."

"I know." From the information Tonks had gotten him, Harry knew that students had to get to the school by train. However, unlike at Hogwarts, there was more than one train to go by, since students from all over Canada came there and it was the second largest country on Earth. "Is it alright if I wait here for a couple of hours, since I really have no where else to go?"

The wizard shrugged. "I don't see why not."

"Thank you." Getting his luggage together, he said on his way out, "Have a nice day."

"Thanks, you too."

As he sat on a bench in the waiting area (facing the floor, so no one could see his face and recognize him), he thought about everything that had happened, and hoped it was all for the best. At least he wouldn't have to put up with those traitors anymore.

Eventually, he got up and got ready to leave, as he had to train to catch. After letting Hedwig out of her cage so she could fly there on her own, he shrunk the cage and trunk, put them in a safe magical pouch he was carrying, and departed, ignoring the few people who recognized him as the Boy Who Lived.

After taking a walk through the city of Ottawa, he made his way to the train station which would take him. While Hogwarts students had to go through a magical barrier, Harry gave the man his ticket, which was accepted, and Harry passed through an inconspicuous door and onto the platform.

Some students gasped as they saw Harry Potter pass by them, and he did the best to channel out the whispering and buzzing behind him. He made his way onto the train, found an empty compartment, and sat himself down.

It was eventually filled up with younger students, all of whom looked at him with admiration but didn't venture further. /Thank God for small miracles/, Harry thought as he gazed out the window.

Lunch came and went; unlike on the Hogwarts Express, the people on the train sold more than just candy, but actual food that one would eat for lunch. After a refreshing meal, Harry went back to gazing out the window.

A couple of hours later, he noticed the time, and then realized something.

Back at Hogwarts, the Welcoming Feast would be starting now. Harry smiled grimly; if he had timed it just right, Dumbledore would get it right in the middle of the feast...

In the Great Hall at Hogwarts, the Sorting had finished, and Dumbledore was making a speech about the war being over, and was about to make a toast to Harry Potter when he realized the boy wasn't there.

Instead, an owl then flew into the Great Hall, depositing a red envelope in front of the Headmaster before flying back out. Whispers breaking out, everyone watched as the Headmaster reluctantly opened the Howler, which unleashed the voice of an angry Harry Potter.

/"HELLO, PROFESSOR DUMB-OLD-DORK! WONDERING WHERE I AM? NOT HERE ANYMORE, THAT'S FOR SURE! I'M NOW A STUDENT OF A DIFFERENT WIZARDING INSTITUTION, AND OUT FROM UNDER YOUR MANIPULATING CONTROL! WONDERING HOW THIS HAPPENED? SIMPLE: YOU FORGOT ABOUT THE PART ALLOWING ME TO TRANSFER TO OTHER SCHOOLS! IT WAS ABSURDLY EASY TO CONVINCE THOSE NEGLEGENT MUGGLES YOU LEFT ME WITH TO SIGN THE PAPERS, WHICH WAS THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THEM, CONSIDERING HOW THEY'VE TREATED ME IN THE PAST!/
/ /
/"AFTER HOW YOU BETRAYED ME LAST YEAR, I WOULDN'T TRUST YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IN HOGWARTS AS FAR AS I COULD THROW THE CASTLE ITSELF! YOU'VE SAID IT YOURSELF, HEADMASTER, AND I QUOTE, 'SOME WOUNDS JUST RUN TOO DEEP TO HEAL'! NOW, I HAVE A NEW LIFE, AND YOU'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME! IF YOU DO FIND OUT WHERE I AM AND TRY TO APPROACH ME OR DRAG ME BACK, YOU OR ANYONE ELSE ATTEMPTING TO DO SO WILL SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES, BECAUSE I HAVE RESTRAINING ORDERS PUT UP, AND BELIEVE ME, THOSE WILL BE THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES!/
/ /
/"ALSO, YOU WILL FIND A TRUNK TO YOUR OFFICE FULL OF THINGS GIVEN TO ME BY THE PEOPLE I ONCE TRUSTED, NAMELY A CERTAIN RED-HEADED TRAITOR AND HIS FAMILY AND A SO-CALLED KNOW-IT-ALL; I WOULDN'T BE CAUGHT DEAD IN THEIR DEBT OR THEIR COMPANY! OR YOURS, FOR THAT MATTER! IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING, THOSE TREACHEROUS BACKSTABBERS ONLY BURNED FAKES OF MY POSSESSIONS, WHILE SOMEONE WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS SAVED THEM FOR ME! I GUESS THEY WOULDN'T HAVE MINDED ACTUALLY DESTROYING THE GENUINE ARTICLES! FURTHERMORE, I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS WITH YOUR SCHOOL OR COMMUNITY, BECAUSE I'M NO LONGER A PART OF IT, AND FROM NOW ON, IT CAN SOLVE ITS OWN DAMN PROBLEMS! OH, AND REMEMBER THIS: I'VE KILLED BEFORE TO DEFEND MYSELF, AND I'LL DO IT AGAIN IF I TRULY HAVE TO, SO LEAVE ME ALONE!"/

As the Howler crumbled into ashes and the yelling subsided, students all over the Great Hall whispered to each other, while Harry's former friends and professors looked absolutely stricken.

Up at the High Table, a rather embarrassed Dumbledore could only bow his head, look down and sigh sadly as his last hopes to atone for abandoning Harry disappeared along with the twinkle in his eyes.

Meanwhile, back in Canada, Harry gazed out the window for the rest of the train ride, lost in thought. Already, he missed Tonks...

Harry dwelled on thoughts during the entire ride until he could feel the train coming to a stop. Leaving his trunk and letting Hedwig out, Harry got some of his other things together and followed the other students up to were carriages waited.

After a brief ride up to the school (which looked like a giant mansion with the boys' and girls' dormitories being in different wings of the building), Harry got out and followed the other students to the main hall where everyone ate.

There weren't Houses like at Hogwarts, but people went to different classes based on year level, and each year level had at least four different classes. There were rectangular tables were anyone could sit, leaving for much more interaction than at Hogwarts.

Up at the High Table were the various staff members, and Harry could see in the center was the Headmaster. He was a middle-aged man, with black giving to specks of gray, and had round-framed glasses. Unless Harry's imagination was deceiving him, the Headmaster focused on him for a moment before looking elsewhere in the hall.

Once everyone had come in and sat down, the Headmaster cheerfully welcomed everyone and let the feast begin. However, as Harry looked down at his setting, he saw a small note in between him and his plate. Opening it up, he saw it was from the school's new Headmaster; it said that he wanted to meet Harry outside after the feast.

More than an hour or so later, after the feast ended and the Headmaster gave announcements, the others began to depart for their dormitories. However, Harry waited outside the doors as everyone else cleared out.

Finally, the staff came out, each giving him interested and eager looks as they passed. The Headmaster came out after all of them, and went over to Harry.

"Well, Mr. Potter, I am proud to have you in this school," he said sincerely, shaking Harry's hand.

"Yes, well, this school looked interesting."

"A man of few words, I see... tell me, is there something on your mind you'd like to talk about?"

Harry hesitated for a moment, and said nothing.

"Still a little down after last year... not that I blame you... or is it because you transferred here because you didn't want to return to Hogwarts?"

"Exactly," Harry conceded.

"Well, I heard rumors that you were planning to transfer to some other school than flunk out. I can only wield control over my students to a certain extent, so all I can do is say this: Don't waste good opportunities for quicker results, because you just may end up regretting them later."

"One of the few friends I had back over in England said more or less the same thing, and I believed her."

"Well, she was right. Besides, my office is always open should you ever want to talk."

"Thank you, Headmaster."

"Well, it was nice meeting you, but now it's getting late. I trust you know where your dormitory is?"

"Yes, thanks, I do."

"Well, good night then, Mr. Potter, and get some sleep... you're going to need it for class tomorrow!"

"Thanks, Headmaster. Good night."

"Same to you."

With that, Harry left and headed for his dorm, feeling a lot better already.


/FIN/

A/N: So how did you guys like this?

You know, I was touched by the requests to continue my one-shot, "Mentor and Protégé." Sorry, but I think it's fine the way it is; it accomplished what I wanted it to.

Note about Dumbledore: I've seen versions of him where he is an honestly good man who's made some mistakes (which I believe that he is in canon and I tend to follow the most), a supposedly good guy who's just too manipulative, or one who is secretly evil. As for what he is in this little story... I really didn't decide, so I'll leave that up to you.

By the way, this is the first and only Honks (Harry/Tonks) story I've ever written. Well, there's a first time for everything, right?

Now, you're all probably all going to want me to continue this fic to show Harry going to a new school. Well, I'll tell you what... If anyone wants to pick up where I left off and write about Harry doing whatever at this new school, email me and we'll work something out. (However, I may just continue "Mentor and Protégé," and co-write it with the amazing Barkeeper; more news to follow...)

Actually, I have one more idea for a one-shot betrayal story. However, while these last two stories have been about new beginnings, the next one is after the end for someone, and is definitely a tragedy...
Sign up to rate and review this story