Categories > Original > Mystery > Plain and Simple

Already Passed

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

“Wait here!” I ran to the basement and retrieved my sketchbook.

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2009-11-10 - Updated: 2009-11-11 - 3380 words

0Unrated
Another day in school. A month has already passed and Adam, Nico and Marissa have gotten close. Addison got a job working as a manager for a tattoo parlor. I’m very proud of him. On weekends I get to help out in the parlor. I’ve made friends with all of the artists and everyone there. It’s so exciting. They give me advice for becoming a great tattoo artist and say I’m very talented. Finally, somewhere I can be normal without being a freak to everyone around me.
“Please? Daddy! I really want this tattoo.” I pleaded my dad. I’ve been working on a tattoo I wanted for years, and I’m begging my dad for me to get it. My mom has already said yes to her little girl. Now it’s up to my dad.
“No! I already said no and that’s final!” My dad growled.
“But Daddy-” I whined.
“Fine!” I thought I heard him wrong and continued.
“This is not-!” I stopped. “What?” I asked.
“Fine. How much is it gonna cost me?” He sat down in his leather chair behind his military desk piled with papers and maps of areas around the world.
“I don’t know.” I really hadn’t thought about the cost, just the design.
“Fine, but I’m coming with you. What’s the design?” He asked. I smiled brightly.
“Wait here!” I ran to the basement and retrieved my sketchbook. As I was heading up I heard whispers. I couldn’t make out what the voices were saying, but the temperature of the room suddenly dropped dramatically. The hairs on my arms and neck erect. I huffed out visible clouds of air in the room. The light dimmed to a chilling ice blue. I felt someone’s stare fixed upon me but couldn’t place where the eyes were in the room. There was no one else there.
“Skeeter!” I heard my dad’s gruff voice call from upstairs. I looked back up the ladder from the base of it then looked back around the room. Everything went back to normal. I just shook it off and climbed back up the ladder.

“I’m telling you. There’s something wrong with the basement.” I said. I was sitting on my bed in my room explaining to Addison what happened earlier. Sitting in a chair across from me he shook his head.
“There is nothing wrong with the basement. I went down there after you did to borrow your colored pencils and nothing seemed off.” He replied.
“But there was. It felt like somebody was whispering to me. Watching me.” I held my head in my hands and tired to rid of the memory flashing over and over in my mind.
“Look,” I looked up and saw Addi lean forward and put his elbows on his knees. “Whatever it was left, right?” I nodded. “Maybe it won’t come back. Maybe you were hallucinating. Who knows? Nobody was down there, but you.” Addi pointed out.
“Maybe.” I leaned back and laid on my bed feeling the soft sheets on my back.
“Just shake it off and get ready. Your appointment is in two hours.” Addi knocked my knees and stood up. I nodded. I was nervous about getting my tattoo. What if it hurts a lot? What if I can’t finish it because it hurts too much? “Wanna go into town? Drive around like we use to?” Addi asked.
“Beats laying here and doing nothing.” I got up and grabbed my cell, I-Pod and pocket knife before getting into the car and driving into LA with Addi.
In LA Addi and I did some shopping. I also made another appointment in a piercing place to get my nose ring I’ve been wanting. Dad can’t say no to that. Just as we were making our way to an art store I felt a sudden chill. I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. Everyone around me turned into wisps of color, I heard nothing but the whispering from the basement echo in my head. An urge to peer across the street surged through me and I averted my stare from the pavement to across the street. A man stood grey and tall. It was a picture in black and white. “Save us.” Was chanted louder and louder in my head. Then a piercing squeal seized my ears. I squinted my eyes and covered my ears shutting my eyes tight. “Skeeter. Skeeter.” Whispered into my brain. I felt warm skin grip my wrist and pull me to reality. “Skeet?” I looked up and saw Addison’s concerned eyes and desperate face.
“Huh?” I asked.
“Are you okay?” He asked. I looked back across the street but nothing was there.
“Yeah.” I nodded and gripped Addi’s hand before staring ahead and walking into the store.
“Look, there’s the easel you wanted.” Addi pointed to a big shelf. And there it was.
“Yeah.” Was all I could say.
“Are you sure you’re okay?” He asked as he squeezed my hand.
“Yeah,” I nodded. “I just wish I had enough money to get it. My other one is falling apart.” I felt myself wanting to cry. I always wanted to get more art supplies, but never had the money.
“How about I get it for you?” He asked with a smile.
“What? No, you’re not. Shows I need to get a fucking job and get off my ass.” I said.
“As long as you keep getting good grades and playing good in basketball, swimming and soccer you don’t need a job.” Addi let go of my hand and reached up to take to easel with us through out the store. “Anything else you need?” Addi asked.
“Um, I don’t think you should buy me anything. I don’t recommend it.” I said plainly.
“I am going to buy you what you need. Mom and Dad don’t give a shit about your art, but I do.” He looked around and started heading off to the next aisle asking, “Now, what else do you need?”
When we got back home Addi’s car was full of art supplies, clothes, shoes and other necessities. Even a gift for Mom from both of us. Her birthday is tomorrow. We bought her some new shoes and a sapphire diamond necklace. Well, really Addison bought it, but I picked it out. That should count for something!
On the ride home he started on about how I should tell him if I need anything to tell him and he would get it for me. Anything I wanted or needed. He’s such a good big brother. The best anyone could ever wish for and I’m lucky I have him, because the way life is I probably wouldn’t have been able to survive lonely nights or anything that harsh and cold without him. He’s my best friend.
It’s almost three and I’m getting nervous. “Are you sure you want to go through with this?” My dad asked once we piled into our new Dodge Durango that sat seven. Even though it’s not like we need the room. But military guys like big trucks.
“Yeah.”
“We could always just get you a puppy.” He suggested looking in the rearview mirror at me with worried eyes and hope I would just settle with a puppy.
“Puppies eventually die. Tattoos are permanent. They’re supposed to mean something.” I looked out the tinted window at the busy streets. LA looks much like New York to me, but at the same time different. It was too hot. “That’s exactly why I’m getting it.” I mumbled and propped my chin on my fist my elbow was holding up by the arm rest that struck out of the door.
We arrived at the tattoo parlor and entered where I was greeted by all my friends. I picked Anthony to do my tattoo. He’s my favorite. No one protested. They all declared he was the best in black and white tattoos. So I just went with it. And I’ve seen his work. Damn good in black and white. Good in color, but not that same as the black and white. “So, what am I gonna give you permanently inked into your skin today?” He asked as he snapped on his black latex gloves he always wore when tattooing.
“This.” I handed him my paper. “It’s something I drew up. I want the exact same font.” The cursive Old English letters I made up done in black and white pencils. Well, Ebony, but that same in a way to black. The names of all my family. Starting with my dad (cause he’s the oldest) and ending with Addi.
“Nice, Skeeter. And where do you want these?” He looked up from the paper to see me rubbing my neck area. “Fuck.” He cursed. “Are you sure?”
“Yeah. Why? Is it gonna hurt?” I asked, trying to not shake or shiver at the thought of the needle going through to puncture my throat and killing me. Bleeding out to nothing. But Anthony wouldn’t let that happen. At least, I hope.
“Are you sure you want these there? People are gonna stare at you.” I shrugged. “Are you sure your school’ll let you do this?”
“It’s LA.”
“I know, but they have strict gang rules. No gang tats visible. You wanna wear a turtle neck in this weather?” He asked.
“It’s not a gang tattoo! They’re my families names.” I declared.
“No need to raise your voice.” Anthony put his hands out in front of him to signal no harm and offense on my part. “But people can mistake them. By the black and white lettering and names. Here in LA, people won’t let you explain. They’ll just assume.” Anthony explained. He was very persuasive. I know he wants to protect me from farther ridicule and I respect that. For the sake of my family, Anthony and the rest of the tattoo shop watching with worried eyes I sighed and decided I wasn’t going to get that tattoo. Yet. “Good. Let’s get something more cute for a girl your age.” Anthony smiled. I rolled my eyes.
“I’m not a little girl anymore, Ant.” I giggled. “You’re lucky I brought my backup.” I took out another picture I drew.
“A Phoenix. Nice.” Anthony smiled and nodded his head. “And where do you want this?” I lifted my shirt a bit and rubbed my left side of my stomach. “Great. Now, let me draw this up and then we can get started.” Anthony nodded and then went back to his desk to draw up my tattoo and I took a seat to wait.
About twenty minutes later Anthony was ready and Addison assured me I wanted to go through with this. I took a deep breath and jumped up onto the red matted cot. “Lie on your side for me please.” Ant instructed and I did. He took a seat on his stool and I kept taking deep comforting breaths.
Anthony stamped my tattoo onto my side and I heard the buzz of the tattoo machine. I whimpered. “Just relax. Your body adjusts to the feel in the first few minutes.” Myles, another tattoo artist and friend, held my hand and reassured me. I nodded and felt the needle make long strokes onto my side. A burning sensation took over my whole side, and it hurt. I squeezed my eyes shut and bit my lip. Myles gripped my hand tighter for comfort.
“Are you alright, Skeeter?” My dad’s voice whispered in my ear.
“Yeah.” I choked out and nodded. He patted my back and after a few more long burning strokes my side went numb and I felt nothing else. This was a big tattoo and I was determined to sit through it and be tough. I promised not to cry no matter how much it hurt. I wouldn’t cry in front of my dad and the rest of the tattoo shop.
My Phoenix took a full two hours. By the time Anthony was done I was falling asleep. “Alright.” Anthony swiped my tattoo clean of leftover color and blood. “We are done here.” I got up and took a look at my new tattoo in the mirror. It was amazing. I grinned. “You like it?” Anthony asked while he stood behind me inspecting his work in the mirror as well.
“Like it? I love it!” I squealed and hugged him tightly. “Thank you, Ant.” I smiled widely.
“You’re welcome.” He patted my back. I pulled away and he smiled. “Okay, now there are five simple procedures after tattoos are done.” I nodded. He motioned for me to follow him. He lifted my shirt and bandaged my tattoo up. “Do not re-bandage your tattoo.” I nodded. “Do not apply Vaseline or Neosporin. Apply ointments or lotions lightly. Do not expose tattoo to direct sunlight. Swim or soak in tub for two weeks. Be sure that all clothing that is touching your tattoo is clean!” He instructed. I just nodded again. “And that’s it. Follow those simple procedures and your tattoo will heal and be done scabbing in a max of two weeks.”
“Okay, I will make sure that happens.” I smiled as he gave me some ointment to apply it twice a day to my tattoo lightly and gently.
“Be sure that you do. Don’t want it getting infected.” He laughed. I just shook my head.
“So, how much is coming out of my pocket?” My dad took out his wallet and opened it waiting for Anthony to give him a price.
“It’s on the house.” Anthony said.
“What?! No! This art needs to be rewarded!” I yelled. “There is no way I’m walking out of this shop without paying for this beauty on my body.” I warned.
“I was already rewarded by having it on a special person in my life that will make it to a tattoo shop someday.” He smiled. I blushed.
“Very sweet, but how much is it?” I asked folding my arms over my chest.
“I’ll cut it down for ya. 150.” He said going behind the counter.
“Thank you.” I smiled as my dad handed him his payment.
“Anything for you, sweetie.” My dad wrapped an arm around me and pulled me tightly to him. “You’re my little girl.” He kissed the top of my head. I giggled and I saw Addi roll his eyes. I stuck my tongue out at him and he smiled. I mouth a thank you and he nodded. “Now, how ‘bout we get some Chinese before we get home? How does that sound?” Dad asked.
“Good.” Addi smiled.
“Yeah.” I got in shotgun and we headed to get some Chinese. “Wait!” I shouted after my dad was buckled in and had started the engine.
“What?” He asked in panic to my sudden outburst.
“I kinda made an appointment to pierce my nose.” I said quietly, biting my lip.
“What?” My dad asked in disbelief. “Well, you’re gonna have to cancel it because there is no way in hell I’m gonna let you pierce your nose.”

I’m waiting in the silent room for expecting my name to be called any minute. “Skeeter. Time for your septum.” I just nodded and followed him to a room. The walls covered in pictures and designs of tattoos. Examples of piercings. Barbells and rings. Hoops and plugs. “Just sit in the chair for me and we’ll get this done.” I nodded and sat in the black leather chair while the guy snapped his lime green latex gloves on. “I’m Josh and I’m going to pierce your septum. Is that correct?” He questioned.
“Yes.” I nodded.
“Okay.”
It didn’t hurt too bad. I just have to make sure it doesn’t get infected. Once I came out I smiled at my dad and Addi. “Nice.” Addi complemented. My dad, sitting right next to him, shook his head. I just laughed.
My dad dug out his wallet and paid another purchase of mine that night. I was so happy. My mother was ecstatic of my tattoo and piercing. Maybe she’s not crazy after all. Or maybe just a tab not sane.

Addison helped me tend to my tattoo the next two weeks. My mom really liked it. She said it was, “So cute.” Her exact words in her baby voice. I hate when she does that. And you should here what Nico, Marissa and Adam said.

FLASH BACK

It was the day after I had gotten my tattoo and my side was in mild pain. Every step I took there was a burning sensation that coursed through my whole side. But I made it to the front steps of the school in one piece and there was no turning back now. Partially because Addi had already taken off to his “job” and I really wanted to show off my new ink to my closest friends.
Turns out Addi got a job, just not as something my parents appreciate as. He’s working in a garage again. He still works for the tattoo parlor, but in the garage on weekends. Something he told me I had to keep secret till he told our parents. Which will probably be never anyway. That’s a secret I can keep. I can’t tell anyway because we did our secret handshake on it, and there are no exceptions.
I finally got to my locker and immediately Adam came running up to me. “Skeeter!” He shouted. I smiled and then looked up from my book bag.
“Hey Adam!” I greeted him trying not to show pain on my face as my tattoo was burning again.
“What’s up?” He stopped at my locker and waited for me to answer with a great grin plastered on his face.
“Okay,” I began turning my full body to face his. “Guess what?” I questioned. He furrowed his brow, then jumped.
“What?” He gasped.
“I got a tattoo yesterday.” I squealed. His mouth dropped open and then he recomposed himself.
“Nuh-uh!” I he shook his head at me as if I was lying.
“Yeah-huh!” I nodded my head enthusiastically. “Check it!” I lifted my shirt as he stood there with pursed lips, hip popped out, and his arms crossed over his chest.
Once my new ink was revealed his eyes went wide with excitement. I just glowed. “This is so fucking awesome!” He reached out to touch the transparent plastic wrap. “I need to text Nico.” I he smiled and removed his cell phone from his jeans pocket. Which were especially tight today, as I’ve noticed.
“Okay.” Was all I said and I waited for him to take a picture of it to send to Nico, and after that I put my shirt down. Just then Nico came running down the hall.
“Oh my God!” He screamed and then squished me with his bear hugs. He jumped and I suffocated. It wasn’t until he let go that I gasped for air like it would be my last. “I want to see it!” He clapped. I just rolled my eyes and pulled up my shirt. “It’s so beautiful.” He admired it. “Your first tattoo. Did it hurt?”
“It burned a little. But it wasn’t like excruciating pain.” I explained. Just then John walked passed me with shake of his head as he glanced at my tattoo. I just let my shirt back down and ignore him as best as I can.
“And I see a new piercing.” Nico smiled.
“Yeah,” I laughed. Adam was about to say something when I cut him off. “And no, it didn’t hurt that much.”
“Okay.” He mouthed. “Now, let’s get to class.
All that day Marissa, Nico and Adam drooled over my tattoo and septum. I was feeling high off of life that day.

END OF FLASHBACK
Sign up to rate and review this story