Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Tense Negotiations

by wordhammer 2 reviews

Holly argues with people, mostly Albus

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Dumbledore,Ginny,Hermione,Molly Weasley - Warnings: [!!!] [V] - Published: 2009-11-20 - Updated: 2009-11-21 - 9619 words - Complete

5Exciting
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.

Holly Evans and the Spiral Path
Chapter 36
: Tense Negotiations

*

8th July, 1994

Okay Newt, it's been three days. Enough with the swimming. I miss her too, but we both need to accept that she's gone and get back to living.
Are you going to get a new owl?
Maybe. Do you think I should?
No. Or, if you do, get a dumb one so I don't like it. Get a dumb, useless owl with no sense of direction and rough feathers. One with dirty claws and a nasty broken beak with a bad attitude.
Newt, I don't want to replace Hedwig. But I think it's time you had a sibling. I'm making it my mission this year to brew up a new member of the family.
Great. That'll be wonderful.
Is there something better I can do, maybe?
No.
Okay then.
Wait, Mum? Do you know how, or if, I could have children?
Newt, I believe this challenge requires Hermione. If there is a way we'll find it, troublemaker!
I love my mum!

Now that THAT's been settled...
Newt, would you be so kind as to relate the details of my picnic conversation with Albus Dumbledore?
I see how you are. I'm your secretary first, then your daughter!
Do this, please?
Well, Ok, but only because it's funny.
And let's call him Albus from now on. I think I've grown past name-calling at this point.
That makes one of us, Mummy Poopyhead...

Transcription: 8th July, 1994 starting 4:51 AM GMT

Holly is sitting on a tree branch of the large oak in the Weasley's yard, watching as the sun comes up. She has been crying for the last hour following a particularly horrific collection of nightmares. Albus Dumbledore approaches Holly's tree from the direction of the Burrow.
Albus: "Holly, good morning..."
Holly: (Snif) "Sir, shut up until it's over."
Albus stands patiently, watching Holly as she watches the dawn rise over the treetops. Holly composes herself and wipes the moisture away with her hand, flicking the residual tears away from her onto the ground as if offended by their presence. She turns to face the headmaster standing amongst the tallish grass but stays perched on her limb.
Holly: "What do you want?"
Albus: "It has come to my attention that in the past, I have not treated you as well, or as fairly as you might have expected from me."
Holly: "Well, aren't you brilliant. What gave it away?"
Albus: "Actually it was your friend, Auror Tonks. Following that horrible scene at your relatives' house, she most pointedly woke me to the realisation that some things I've tried to accomplish for your benefit have not turned out as intended."
Holly: "That's a flowery way of saying, 'you have an unusual tendency to be wrong whenever it relates to me.' What are you, zero for 238?"
Albus: "That is exactly what Auror Tonks said to me. You have a remarkable attention to detail."
Holly: "So... you've remarked. What do you want?"
Albus: "Well, I'd like it if you'd come down from this tree so we can talk."
Holly: "I don't feel like accommodating you today. You'll just have to look up at me from below, for once."
Albus: "I am offering a kind hand here, Holly. The least you can do..."
Holly shifts forward to bellow at the startled headmaster.
Holly: "YOU HAVEN'T OFFERED SHITE! You haven't even come close to apologising for, or even acknowledging all the crimes you've committed against me! You get one more chance to answer this question: WHAT DO YOU WANT?!"
Albus: "I want to be able to work with you. I want you to trust me."
Holly rolls her eyes and slumps back against the tree trunk.
Holly: "Request denied, stop wasting your time. Or mine, for that matter."
Albus: "Holly, you'll have to trust people sometime or you'll end your days alone and bitter, with the weight of all those who needed you that you never helped on your conscience."
Holly: "Speaking from experience? You're a hypocrite of the worst order to preach to me about trust! Either you tell me the complete truth of why you have made the choices that have so thoroughly ruined my life, or allow me to live the rest of my life as I please. Full disclosure or hands off, preferably both. In no case will I be taking your word for what I should or should not know. You want Harry? Explain why. You don't want Holly? Fine. I'll head to France. I hear they have a fine school. Assuming you don't steal anything else from me I should do well."
Albus: "Steal? What are you talking about?"
Holly: "Where did the other half of my Trust fund go this year? I'm on scholarship so there isn't a damned reason it shouldn't have been topped to 50 thousand galleons, but there was only 23 thousand when I emptied it at the end of January. How many other years have you emptied the Trust? Where is my true home? Why does the entry to Potter Manor say Nott Landing? Why did you have my father's cloak? Where's the Potter Grimoire? Why didn't you train me? Why didn't you tell me the truth the minute I showed up at Hogwarts? You are a thief of the truth and the Potter legacies!"
Albus: "Holly, I have successfully acted as your guardian for these last dozen years..."
Holly: "Meanwhile, everything the Potters ever had was ripped away because Pureblood society saw an undefended bounty and pillaged it from right under your broken nose. Through your abject thievery, neglect or both, I am destitute when my parents were a well-funded family with a good reputation. You are a shoddy guardian by any estimation. If the best you can come up with is 'I didn't let you die', I think your definition of success needs revising. My parents are dead because of your strategies, so you stole them as well."
Albus steps back shakily. He gulps once before proceeding.
Albus: "It was a time of war; many lost their families..."
Holly: "I am the child of Lily and James Potter, the last Potter, by the way. They died facing Riddle directly, but I survived because of an ancient sacrificial ward that you provided to Lily, for when he would show up. It should have killed Riddle, too, but he has some other protection keeping him from dying. You didn't expect that, in fact you were depending on my parents taking out Riddle by dying. It was war, I get that you need to sacrifice troops for strategic purposes, but you still arranged for my parents to be killed."
Albus: "It was necessary..."
Holly: "Oh! And then you arranged to take over guardianship for me, but stuck me with my muggle relatives in order to protect me using a side-effect of the sacrificial magic. You left a rune-scribed clock to encourage them to keep any accidental magic out of the way, but the side effect of your Compulsion was that I was emotionally and physically abused and neglected. You set a watchdog in the area but took no action to investigate the harsh life I was forced to lead. Either that's what you planned, you didn't believe Mrs. Figg, or you just didn't care. I'm guessing it was option one."
Albus: "It is true that I failed to take action to save you from your abuses, but see how they have made you strong!"
Holly: "Yes, I'm well-tempered. Also, not taking orders. If you're not careful, you'll die at the point of the sword you forged."
Albus trips slightly in stepping back again, dropping his wand from his hand. Holly gives an evil smirk.
Holly: "Have I struck a nerve?"
Albus quickly recovers his wand.
Albus: "Holly, is there anything I can do to fix this? We must not be divided. Our world will soon be threatened once more by a great evil, and I don't think much of our chances if you and I can't even cooperate. He shall rise and destroy us, because we remain divided."
Holly: "Yah! I translate that as 'Never mind the crimes of the recent past, because my earlier failures are coming back to kill us all!' Have you yet considered that you make a poor leader? If your followers followed your example, no one would know why they were slaves to a man once called Tom Riddle, because they wouldn't even know that was his name!"
Albus makes another step backwards and drops onto the hard ground. Holly sits for a minute, considering. With a sudden lurch and leap, she swings out of the tree and lands on the ground to stand in front of the aged Professor. Albus looks up at her with an anxious expression.
Holly: "I think we can work together as soon as you recognise the fact that I am not your recalcitrant chess piece. I have my own agenda. You want my help? Offer me something as an equal. You talk down to me again and we're through. I'll let Riddle rape your world and come back to kill him when everything you value is long dead."
Albus: "You would let everyone you love perish?"
Holly: "No, all twenty of the people I care about would be asked to come with me. Don't expect an invite."
Albus: "I don't know where to start. I have tried my best for you..."
Holly snaps a hand in front of Albus' face to warn him against speaking.
Holly: "You know what the real difference between us is? You want to save the world from a madman."
Albus: "Is that so wrong?"
Holly: "No, it just lacks vision. You want to save the world. I want to FIX IT. This entire society wields enormous power to reshape reality, and the majority have the grace, insight and personal responsibility of Mr. Bean! I'll help you with your problems if you are quick and candid with the answers I need and stay out of my way otherwise. That's the deal. While you consider that, I'll give you a quick accounting of status from my perspective while you conjure up breakfast. Feel free to fill in the missing information."
Albus: "I will tell you what I can."
Holly shakes her head.
Holly: "Parsed like a politician."
Holly takes a minute to consider where to start while Albus conjures forth a picnic blanket and two plush pillows.
Holly: "I exist. Stop trying to deny it. Harry is just a paper hero so far. We need to give people a real Harry to believe in or they may never stand up for themselves, but I'm not ready for full time Harry-ness. We need to find out what Riddle is planning and work to undermine his followers, limiting their ability to aid him. I also need you to find out why the goblins want me so badly, and how to regain control of the Potter resources that were embezzled under your watch."
Albus: "I will find out what I can, but the goblins are masters with contracts and negotiations. They may yet prevail, leaving the Potter heir in their debt. At some point, we may have to choose which of you to turn over to their mercies."
Holly: "That's not an option. You broke it, go fix it. Also, I'd like my vault key. So long as they keep shuffling funds into the Trust vault, I want access to it. What did happen with those funds?"
Albus: "Well, I have been using the monies to provide protection for you and fund the research necessary to uncover the method that Tom Riddle uses to stay alive. I am but a poor educator and the task requires both travel and bribery. I've become adept at executing both on a budget, but with a budget nonetheless. I hope you at least appreciate that the money was being used for your benefit."
Holly: "My benefit? This isn't my war! I'm just another orphan of your generation's failure to handle your mistakes!"
Albus: "The Potters always stood with us against the Darkness. I have no doubt that James and Lily would have contributed those funds as they were needed were they still alive."
Holly: "Maybe they would have but they didn't set up a war fund for you, and that's even assuming you're telling the truth! Alright. Someday you can give me a full accounting for the specifics of your 'allocations' when I no longer feel the urge to strangle you. From now on, it's my money. Give me the key."
Albus digs into the pockets of his robes while gesturing for Holly to sit and eat. Holly plops down on the cushion and accepts the bronze key, stowing it in her jeans.
Holly: "Tonks is my best cover. With her around, Harry and Holly can appear when they both need to be seen. Otherwise I'll need a Time Turner, though that will only work when we don't need to touch. Having both resources would make the most sense."
Albus: "I can see about the Time Turner, but Auror Tonks doesn't work for me. We'll need to appeal to Amelia with some sort of explanation."
Holly: "A protection detail for Harry, maybe? Look, before Harry can be a hero he needs to be a person. As I said, I'm willing to act the hero but it can't be full time. We still need to prepare for whatever Riddle is planning, and hopefully prevent his re-embodiment for a while. Before he gets that body, I need to learn as much about how Riddle fights so I can defeat him when the time comes. You need to act like an educator and actually teach me what I ask about. And Albus, I need to know the prophesy that you have been keeping secret."
Albus: "I'm not sure that's prudent. Why do you want to know now?"
Holly: "I want to know why you think I'm the one mentioned."
Albus: "The prophesy in question says that the Dark Lord's fated enemy would be born as the seventh month dies. Only you and Neville Longbottom fit that description."
Holly: "That's it? That can't be it! Thousands of children across the globe were born then. What's the whole thing say?"
Albus: "I... wouldn't want that information to fall into the wrong hands."
Holly: "Which is why you've lobotomised our Professor of Divination. I have a right to know! Serve it up."
Albus: (sigh) "Yes, you do. I fear that this will be the last moment of your childhood, Holly."
Holly: "Right. My childhood ended in February. You may remember the loose brains underfoot."
Albus: "Very well. The prophesy spoken to me states 'The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies ... And the Dark Lord will mark HIM as his equal, but HE will have power the Dark Lord knows not ... And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies.' Now you see why you, Holly, cannot defeat him? It must be Harry."
Holly: "And it never occurred to you that 'the power the Dark Lord knows not' might be me? Girl power? Typical. What's really funny is that you've hinged the lives of everyone on a mistranslation."
Albus: "I assure you that those were the words spoken to me by Sibyll Trelawney fourteen years ago!"
Holly: "Yah, and she spoke them in English! You think the Great Symphony sends her previews in her native tongue? Seers interpret! God! Am I the only one that's actually TAKEN THE CLASS?!"
Albus: "Are you saying...?"
Holly: "You've hung everything on a gender-neutral use of language! Let me give you a similar version, as maybe an old Greek poet would have spoken it."
Holly closes her eyes to think for a minute, and then speaks out clearly in Greek.
Holly: (in Greek) "Behold the coming of the child of the thrice defiant, soon born in the waning of the Lion's house, fated to fight using a gift unexpected against the most insane of Hecate's faithful. Death must close the circle, for none can live in security while their acknowledged nemesis yet lives to oppose them. The weapon against undeniable evil comes forth. By the way, she could use some help."
Albus: "But..."
Holly: "And that's assuming you had the time reference right! The seventh house of the Western Zodiac is actually Libra, putting your savior as born... uhh... mid-October. The seventh month would be September by the Julian calendar, in which case you probably should have been protecting Hermione. Tell me, have her parents defied anyone in triplicate?"
Albus: "I am sure Miss Granger is not the child of prophesy."
Holly: "Why, because she's muggleborn?"
Albus: "Yes! Tom Riddle is a half-blood, as are you. The symmetry is undeniable."
Holly: "Sorta invalidates Neville, then."
Albus: "I didn't know as much about Tom's past, then."
Holly: "Irrelevant! Do you know why seers make predictions? It's to TEASE US! Nothing they say or communicate is changeable! If it's a real prophesy, it will happen no matter what we do. The prophesy doesn't need our help to come true. This one says someone will have the power to stop him. What you needed to do was provide a good reason for that someone to do so. Tough break. Better luck next time."
Albus: "Are you saying you won't stand against his rise?"
Holly: "No, I'm saying that it's not my primary concern. According to prophesy and assuming it's me, I'll have the power to stop him. If you get out of my way, I'll probably even use it."
Albus: "You mustn't dismiss this! You need to be ready!"
Holly: "Albus, your plan didn't really include anything about training me, so please; enlighten me as to how I need your preparation?"
Albus: "You must be prepared to sacrifice yourself!"
Holly: "Come again?"
Albus: "I cannot defeat Voldemort. It therefore seems unlikely that you will be able to defeat him, should the conflict be based upon magical competency. The only way I see for you to defeat him is to sacrifice yourself, aiding another to finish him. It is the one thing Tom Riddle knows not- how to sacrifice himself!"
Holly: "You have no faith that anyone else could possibly do better than you?"
Albus: "I am the most accomplished wizard alive. This isn't ego, it is fact. Tom knows more, for I will not delve into the Darkest Arts, where he specializes."
Holly: "Well, I have a very happy thought to give you hope while destroying your ego."
Albus sighs heavily.
Albus: "And what is that?"
Holly smiles.
Holly: "Both Tonks and I defeated you four days ago, and I wasn't holding a wand when I took you down. I will take Riddle down, too. Fate said so. Any questions?"
Albus: "You're ascribing talent to an unusual circumstance..."
Holly: "Yeah, yeah, I know. 'It was just a lucky shot.' Sounds like just the kind of maneuver Fate would use to remove a nearly omnipotent thorn. My ability to end him may be prophesied, but my ability to survive the event is on me. The fact that I'm still living in Britain should convince you of my willingness to sacrifice myself. Let's work on the parts we don't have covered."
Albus: "Miss Evans, how is it that you have such a... sophisticated view of these matters?"
Holly smiles deeply.
Holly: "Because I'm not Harry Potter. I'm Harry Potter and Lily Evans Potter combined. I am Holly. I would hope my days of being treated like a child by you are now at an end."
Albus: "Lily? You can't be Lily! She was such a kind and cheerful woman..."
Holly leans forward to look Albus deep into his panicked eyes as she responds.
Holly: "And then I lived through a decade of abuse by your design. You reap what you sow, but sometimes the bright witches won't let you dim them. I defied you in 1981, I defied you at the end of term and I'm defying you now. Seeing as I am both mother and child, maybe you're the evil I'm meant to vanquish."
Holly stands and brushes off some dew from her jeans.
Holly: "I've lost my appetite. We should chat again after you've looked into the goblin problem. Have a nice morning, Professor."
Transcription ends.

Yeah, I don't know why Newt thinks it's funny either.

At some point Albus could have noticed the rune circle I drew on the ground, but I put in four different Confundus enchantments along with an Ogham set I like to call 'Respectify!', so probably not. The grass had grown in over the three days since I had laid out the circle. By Divination I knew he would be coming at the sun's rise one day soon; my tears activated the enchantments.
As per Sun Tzu;
'The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.'
Which is why I don't like meeting in the Headmaster's office.

Holly

*

Holly,

I don't think I've ever been prouder of you. Perhaps your mother wasn't too far afield in her paranoia when she Compelled you to distrust the Headmaster. I am sure Albus will have something to say to me about this. I will convey his reaction afterwards.


With love,
Minerva

*

8th July, 1994, only later.

Minerva,
Thanks, Mum. If Albus says anything to you about our meeting, I'd actually be surprised. I forgot to mention- in his weakened state I could just barely sift out his next move. He's going back to his office to put the memory of our conversation into his Pensieve... and not put it back. I guess he really doesn't like to lose, so he just doesn't remember it.

I've had the oddest time trying to relate to the Weasley women. Please let me know if your experience has ever been similar. I had wanted to hunt down the Flamels on my own and catch up with Moony and Sirius, perhaps even surprising Hermione with a visit, but I didn't want to reveal too much about my options for travel. I was trying to act like a real teenager, y'know, ask for permission? Well that never works out.

"Mrs. Weasley..."
"Molly, dear?"
"Holly, actually."
"Yes, I know."
I had to shake my head a moment before continuing.
"Can the Floo take me to France?"
"Why would you want to go to France?"
"Lots of reasons."
"But what would be in France?"
"The French, mostly."
Mrs. Weasley ignored my annoyance, choosing instead to increase it with her smiling. She seemed inordinately pleased at the inventiveness of her next suggestion.
"I should think if you're interested in an excursion you can help Ginny in the garden. That should get your blood flowing!"
I mumbled, "Or you could just stab me."
"What was that dear?"
"Nothing! Ginny's outside?"
"Has been since early this morning, flying her, or rather your, broom."
"She was?"
It was then that I realised that Ginny had been floating around when I was talking with Albus. About Harry. My mind kept rolling around my protections- she shouldn't have heard anything once the circle was activated, but she'd know I was dominating the Leader of the Light. No wonder Ginny has been avoiding me since then. I found her zooming about and we had a conversation amidst the tall grass, where she blamed me for being the hero she thought was her life's love Harry, even though she only knew him by legend and storybook. Our discussion involved violence and torn clothing. Afterwards I corrected a few misdirections Luna had perpetrated on Ginny about what constitutes sex.

"I came, you came; that's sex, gingersnap."
"But Luna said it was just girls playing and that everyone knew it didn't mean the same thing... we didn't kiss or insert anything! No sex happened! Luna said it's very common in the other dorms!"
"Oh, if only. Although I've never really checked the other Houses. Do you find me attractive?"
"Mostly I find you scary, but I also admire your strength and I wish I had your cleavage."
"So you don't love me."
"Ew, gross! Why are you making this all weird?"

By the end of it, we were getting along smashingly and Ginny had taken a vow to keep secret Harry's lack of involvement in doing... anything. She's not gay, although personally I would add the modifier '...anymore'. I may have to sit down with Luna and explain that other people's minds aren't her playground. Ginny told me that Luna lost her mother when she was nine, and as her father runs the Quibbler, we can expect she's been operating without a parental safety net for quite some time. Unfortunately Luna and her father are in Scandinavia until the Quidditch World Cup, so I'll have to pin her down then. Why I suddenly feel responsible for this addle-pated waif I cannot fathom.

By the way, we'll all be attending the World Cup with the Weasleys as Arthur has arranged tickets for us through Mr. Diggory, their other neighbor in Ottery-St. Catchpole. Given the overall behavior of the Weasleys, Lovegoods and Diggorys, I wouldn't trust the milk from around here. I would say it was the water, but Cedric seems the most sane and he's lactose-intolerant, if Ginny's descriptions of past picnics are to be believed.

After settling things with Ginny, I tried to change my sleeping arrangements, but Mrs. Weasley convinced me that friendly madness may be just what I need right now.

"Mrs. Weasley..."
"Molly?"
"My name's Holly."
"Yes, I remember from this morning, when you arrived before and even the summer before last, dear."
I stopped again, stuck in the shifting sands of comedy.
"Well, I'd like to leave."
"But you just came in, dear..."
"Sure, but I was actually thinking of sleeping elsewhere."
Mrs. Weasley gave me a knowing wink. "Ah! Chasing a beau, are we? Well, you seem either a little young or a little old for such sleepovers." Mrs. Weasley patted me on the back reassuringly, but I was near my last nerve with her understanding misunderstandings.
"No, I'd be on my own. Also, you can ask Ginny- I usually chase belles..."
"Have I said something inappropriate? It's hard to tell when I talk with the muggle-raised. Even with Arthur's job, my exposure to that culture is limited."
"Are you deliberately... ?" I stopped, taking a careful look at Mrs. Weasley's innocent expression.
"Am I what, dear?"
"The twins get it from you, don't they?"
Mrs. Weasley's smile took on a mischievous turn. "Right in one, Holly. It's a Prewett talent. We drive people to their last twig. I can see it in Bill, the twins and perhaps in Ginevra. My other boys follow Arthur's tendencies- loyal and relaxed, except in their element. Percy has been in his element since his Prefect badge arrived three years ago."
"That follows, and I'm sure Ginny has the Prewett... talent. She'll make you proud and others insane. As to my leaving..."
Mrs. Weasley gave my shoulder a friendly grasp and finally spoke to me as a person. "Please stay at the Burrow, Holly. People who care for you have spent time and effort to provide for your protection here. Don't make me beg..."
Even I couldn't resist that. "Alright, Mrs. Weasley. But I do need to go on a few excursions over the next few weeks. It shouldn't take more than a few days away each time."
The Weasley matron smiled in amusement and began bustling about the kitchen once more, prepping dough for baking. "Well, why didn't you say so? Where will you be going?"
"Godric's Hollow, for one. Also, I was hoping to catch up with Hermione in Bordeaux as a surprise. Oh, and I've received an invitation."
"Really? Did Neville invite you to his birthday?"
"Well, informally on the platform I suppose, but that wasn't what I meant. I've been invited to stay with the Malfoys for a weekend at the end of the month. For..." (I had to reread the engraved parchment invitation first) "...Lammas."
Mrs. Weasley looked up suddenly and a huge puff of flour swirled about her head, caused when her nerveless hands dropped the lump of dough onto her work table. "Ehmmm, not to startle you overmuch, dear, but ARE YOU INSANE?"
I worked hard to hold back a giggle at the image of the half-ghostly Mrs. Weasley before replying. "Greater minds than ours have yet to make that determination. Nonetheless, I think I should go. I've been invited to some sort of society function. It's a very public and formal request- I doubt they would dare to try anything since so many would know of it and have proof if I were mistreated. I think it's a dance or something." I then showed her the invitation.
"Yes, it's the Lughnasadh fete on the first of August. I... I think we should ask the Headmaster about this. I'll just Floo-call him this evening, alright?"
"Okay. Thank you, ahh... Molly."
"You've nicked to the play, Holly. Call me Mrs. Weasley, if you prefer."
"With respect, ma'am."

So basically I'm asking you if I should go to Malfoy Manor for a purebloods' ball. This isn't a lark- they've got something planned and it has to do with my prank from the apology speech- the invitation was addressed to 'Lady Holly Evans of the House of Black' and delivered to the post box in Hogsmeade (Dobby brought it to me). I guess they're taking this claim... seriously.

Holly

*

Holly,
I should refuse your attendance just for that awful pun. As I believe you were only being polite in asking me, I agree that the circumstance is intriguingly unusual and worth the risk, if you think you can keep yourself safe. I am curious to see what the Malfoys have in store for you. We'll discuss this more when next I have time to visit.

With love,
Minerva

*

9th July, 1994

Minerva,
I've put off my plans to visit France for now. Dobby appeared today around 1:00 PM with a delivery for me: 5' 6" of pissed-off witch.

Transcription: 9th July, 1994 starting 1:06 PM GMT
Holly is strolling at the edge of the Weasley’s field when Dobby arrives in front of her with a passenger, disappearing again almost instantly with a second, slightly quieter pop. Left standing in front of Holly is Hermione Granger, who looks to be in a right snit. Holly steps back but smiles slightly.
Holly: "Whoa! Either it's East Enders time or he doesn't want to linger because of your mood. Hi, Hermione. Did you get my note?"
Hermione: "Yes! Dobby left the note!"
Hermione snaps up the smallish page of parchment out of her pocket and begins to read aloud.
Hermione: "'Dear Hermione. Hedwig shot and killed by Uncle Vernon. Vernon now a leg short. Everyone else fine. Please resend your letter. Love, Holly' What is the matter with you? This wasn't a telegram!"
Holly's expression falls into a scowl at the mention of Hedwig.
Holly: "Hermione, I didn't have a lot to say on the matter at the time unless I wanted to write a small novel, and I needed to let you know what had happened..."
Hermione: "Yes, but Dobby didn't stay for me to send anything back and I don't own an owl!"
Holly: "Challenged, were you? It took you five days to realise that all you had to do was call him back?"
Hermione: "Holly! Did it not occur to you that I might have feelings for Hedwig as well? We had just spent a fortnight working out a wandless Rapport together! I was beginning to understand the joy of flying..."
Holly: "Brilliant. Would you like to take a ride, then?"
Hermione: "Holly, I don't understand. You're treating me like... like..."
Holly: "Like the girl I used to date. Emotionally, I'm sporting several open wounds at the moment, Hermione. I don't have the resources to take care of you as well."
Hermione stops short and gives Holly a startled but sympathetic expression.
Hermione: "Oh. Well, I can understand how painful losing Hedwig must be..."
Holly: "Not just that. I uncovered some things, manipulations of my life. Hermione, I... discovered something... disturbing that had put my affection for you in question."
Hermione: "Don't you dare try to suggest that I seduced you!"
Holly: "Hermione, no. I was the initiator, there's no doubt about that. Lily... left me instructions in my memories to find a girl like you to fall in love with. Actually, she left them for Harry, so you can see where things are even more confused."
Hermione: "So you don't really... love me?"
Holly: "Lily told me to find someone like you. I chose to fall in love with YOU because you proved you cared for me and that I could trust you. Why does it matter to you? You don't want me to love you anyway. It makes you... anxious, right?"
Hermione starts looking back and forth, trying to rearrange her thoughts and feelings.
Hermione: "I... I... I..."
Holly smirks slightly.
Holly: "This seems familiar."
Hermione stops teetering on her confusion. Her gaze snaps back to burn at Holly.
Hermione: "YOU!"
Holly looks hopefully at Hermione as she rushes towards her, but instead of initiating a kiss like the last time Hermione stuttered in this fashion, Hermione slaps Holly in the face. Holly recovers from the painful strike to stare back at Hermione. Tears fall from her eyes but Holly makes no other movement except to clasp her hands behind her back. Hermione begins to pace as she yells at Holly.
Hermione: "Stop being glib! I have spent weeks wondering what to do about us. I had considered trying to once more shoehorn my affection for you into a sexual relationship, but right now I feel like all you'll ever bring me is pain. Why couldn't you have simply been Harry from the start? I would have fallen for you without reservation. We would be together. Instead, I find myself falling in love with two different people in the same body, but I can't have either. One is a fraud and the other is cruel and mistrustful! Well? Don't you have anything to say?"
Holly's expression remains stoic though her face turns towards the ground.
Holly: "What do you want?"
Hermione: "Sanity! I want sanity! I want... a life of meaning with a partner that doesn't require complex explanations in order to have them over for dinner. I don't know! What do you want?"
Holly looks up at Hermione again, seeming a bit tired but focused.
Holly: "Me? I want to fix the world. I want to make it better for witches. I want to make it better... for you. I'd like you to stop playing with my heart so I can go do that. I'm not pursuing you, Hermione, but I am going to move the planet on your behalf. I'd appreciate your help, too. (Sigh). Aside from that, I'll find my own amusements."
Hermione stares at Holly grimly for a minute.
Hermione: "So... now what?"
Holly: "Well, I still want to know what your letter said."
Hermione huffs and rolls her eyes.
Hermione: "Just that I've been using the Turner to catch up on magical topics while spending time in Science Camp learning about real things. I also said that I still want you for my best friend but that I'd prefer if we chalk up the experience on the Express as a last hurrah and return to our agreed-upon non-sexual camaraderie. It just took several pages to cover that."
Holly: "Alright. As to your 'now what?' question... you don't want me and you're not looking for love right now... what DO you want?"
Hermione considers for a moment. The brown-haired witch tilts her head slightly, her eyebrows creased in thought.
Hermione: "I... Y’know, I just suddenly realised that I cannot live like a nun for the rest of my time at school. Sex is too enjoyable for me to just stop doing it for the next few years. Chastity be damned; I want a boyfriend!"
Holly smiles, steps forward and slides her arm around Hermione's waist, guiding her into a slow stroll. Hermione turns her body to align with Holly's as they start to walk back towards the Burrow.
Holly: "Well, as your best girl friend, I may have some ideas on that topic. Would you like to sit around Ginny's room eating indulgent snacks and gossiping for a bit?"
Hermione stops suddenly and gives Holly a faux-fearful gaze. Holly turns to face her with a smirk.
Hermione: "Who are you and what have you done with Holly Evans?"
Holly: "I am exactly who I was before we got on the train; your best friend and former lover. I'm trying to be accommodating- that's what's setting you off."
The girls resume their stroll, with Hermione holding an arm around Holly's waist as well.
Hermione: "Ah. Well, I think we can give this a try. Who did you have in mind for me?"
Holly: "Well, you seem anxious to move forward, so let's talk about George."
Hermione: "Weasley? Has he said something?"
Holly: "Not that I know, but where's the challenge in just pursuing an obvious interest? I think he deserves to be stalked, seduced and pounced upon, if only to confuse and confound him further. Assuming you're interested..."
Hermione: "I hadn't thought of him but now that you mention it, I do have an affection for redheads... and Quidditch players..."
Holly leans up and kisses Hermione on the cheek. Hermione blushes as she smiles.
Transcription ends.

Dobby returned Hermione to 'Science Camp' in Bordeaux a few minutes ago. I had Dobby leave her with a few dozen shrunken books to make the 'extra' time more enjoyable. Newt tagged along so that they could chat about Newt's prospects for motherhood. I don't mind- the Weasley's are excellent company, particularly when you need your mood lifted.
I did get another wonderful hug of sympathy from Hermione before she left. Ginny and I were showing her where we had buried Hedwig's remains, just outside the Weasley ancestral plots and we came over all emotional. You'll have to stop by sometime. I'm quite proud of Hedwig's slate tombstone.

'Here lies Hedwig, devoted friend and confidant. Few understood her, but those who did loved her most, as she loved them.'

Ginny used my ash wand and added her own touch at the bottom, but the grass covers it most of the time.

'By the way, she was an owl.'

With love,
Holly

*

20th July, 1994

Mum,
I'm sure you've heard some about my visit to the shopping areas yesterday, but I think it's only fair to share my side of things. By the way, 25 years ago today an American astronaut walked on the surface of the moon. Hermione told me once that it's not covered in Muggle Studies, so I figured you'd like to know.

I started off getting fitted for some conservative dress robes at Gladrags and found out that I'm still unfairly barred from entering Flourish and Blotts (40 enspelled women battle over Lockhart's smile while Arthur and Lucius duke it out, but I'm considered the troublemaker?), but the interesting part of the trip starts in Ollivander's. I went in acting under the assumption that Albus may not have actually told the man about my dual life, plus you never know who may be lurking around a corner. Despite the sunny weather, his shop was as dark and foreboding as the last two times I'd entered it.
"Ah! Miss Evans! Holly and Phoenix feather, eleven inches. Did your friend appreciate your generosity?"
"You'd know better than I. Of course, he did give me an excellent kiss a few weeks back..."
"I assure you; Mr. Longbottom seemed quite pleased with his new wand- twelve inches, cherry and unicorn hair, though he merely shook my hand in his gratitude. What can I do for you today?"
"I'm going to give my current wand to Harry. What I'm hoping is that you'll take a sample of my blood and construct a new wand."
"I do not know to what you are referring. You came to my shop and tested numerous wands the day we first met. Only your current wand was suited to you."
"Mr. Ollivander, I know the history of this wand's construction and I can guarantee it works better in Harry's hands than mine. Will you take this commission? I want a wand based upon my blood as it is now." I handed him a small glass vial containing about two ounces of my blood.
"I cannot help but find some small amusement that you would ask me to make a custom wand. The irony is enlivening. I think I may live an extra year from the humour of it!"
"Well, I don't get the joke. Can you make me a new wand or not?"
"Indeed. I will test the blood, but I'd like you to think about core materials and tell me what you think I should use."
The answer came to me in a flash. "Basilisk eyelash."
"Ahhh, quickly chosen. Expensive, though available. I never use it. Wands constructed with such a core are limited in scope, only really suitable for Curses and Charms. I don't make a wand if it can't serve all the needs of the witch or wizard in question. A forte is one thing but..."
"But you can make it, right?"
"If you insist. It will take a few weeks, and I'll need at least sixty galleons up front for materials and testing."
"Sixty galleons? My first wand was only seven!"
"Your first wand was paid for ahead of time, and the core was provided by the commissioner. You paid seven galleons because that is what a stock wand costs."
"I still say you're overpricing this."
"Of course I am. I told you before I have no desire to use Basilisk eyelash in my wands, even if it is the most potent core for you aside from another Phoenix feather. I don't suppose you have enough leverage with your Headmaster to ask whether his Phoenix might provide one last core feather for the effort? If I use Basilisk eyelash, well, what will result will simply be a weapon, not an instrument."
I counted out the Galleons and place them on the counter. "I don't believe the Headmaster is in the mood to grant me any favours. This'll be fine. Perfect even. Here's your... bribe. As a favor, let Florean know when the wand is ready. I'm staying in isolation, so an owl might not find me."
"As you wish. I will inform Mr. Fortescue when I've finished whittling your cudgel. Good day, Miss Evans." Mr. Ollivander then started gazing intently as he swirled the blood in the vial in front of a gas lamp on his countertop.

No visit to Diagon Alley would be complete for me without stopping at the ice cream shop. Florean was his usual chatty yet evasive self but he didn't say anything of importance aside from asking for Harry to visit during a busier time to help increase his customer traffic. I accepted a quart of the good stuff and agreed to make the visit happen. I also talked with him about the new wand and about rebuilding the upper floor of 106 Matchstick Court. Florean agreed to act as the go-between with muggle contractors for a modest commission and a kiss on the cheek.

The next part of my adventure was into Knockturn Alley, hunting for some special books and a few trinkets of interest. I ended up in Borgin and Burkes twice. The first time was just shopping. As I left and headed back towards daylight I once more heard a gravelly voice from a darkened doorway say 'Imperio'. The spell wrapped over me and I was directed back into the salon of a long abandoned brownstone.
"My little dearie comes back to me! Haven't you grown ripe; curvy yet still... compact."
McNair held a new wand on me, this one a narrow, pointy thing made from black walnut. He gave my breasts an evaluative grope and then suggested I remove my Lennon glasses, or as he put it "those silly green goggles."
As I pulled off my shades, McNair looked into my fierce and unaffected eyes and he began to realise just how much of a mistake he had made. I subdued him quickly with moves Dudley would admire, and stopped enjoying the subduing about ten minutes later. The unwashed public became aware of our tiff when I started dragging McNair back to Borgin and Burkes by his eyesocket.
"GOD, you are the stupidest of men. I threw off your Imperio the first time and now you try the same thing with this ridiculous drumstick? You've already duelled with me twice before and came up short both times!"
Walden was clutching at my wrist trying to loosen my grip around his temple, but I had used a Sticking Charm to keep hold of the man's skull.
"Twice? AIIIGH!"
"Yes, twice. The first time you lost this eye. The second time you lost a hippogriff you were going to execute. I wonder what I should take this time?" We entered the curiosity shop and I dragged my dance partner straight to Borgin, who was standing behind a short display case. "That's the second time I've left here with purchases only to be preyed upon by this fuckup- who set up this grift? Does he work for you or are you working for him?"
The stooped old man with the limp, stringy hairs flopping over his eyes immediately shook his head in denial.
"I-it's just a coincidence! If I was in on it, I would never have suggested he attack you."
We were then interrupted by three Aurors bursting into the shop, wands drawn.
"Stand down!"
"Aurors! Nobody move!"
McNair continued to struggle and gasp in my grip.
"Uhhh... Miss, release your hold on that man."
Loosing my spell, McNair's bloody and bruised head dropped to the floor with a THUNK.
"Present your wands. No sudden moves!"
I handed over my holly wand from the quiver.
"I have his wand right here..."
McNair quickly struggled up to kneeling on the floor.
"N-no! No need, boys. This is just a bit of the old slap and tickle! Heh, heh! Y'know... between duelling partners..."
"Is that true, Miss?"
"I wouldn't call it affectionate... but he does owe me for some wagers. This is a private matter, sirs. Thank you for your concern, though."
The lead Auror (a tall, dark bloke with a bald head and a single thick gold hoop earring) squinted at me for a minute and then handed back my wand.
"See that your private matters stay out of the public eye then, Miss Evans."
"Right. Nice to be recognised."
Once the Aurors left, I turned to stare first at Borgin and then McNair.
"Do not fuck with me ever again. I have only so much patience."
McNair whined from his position on the floor, "What about my wand?"
"Yah, thanks for that. I could always use another backup, even if it is a weak toothpick. Of course, until I use it any Auror could apply the Priori spell and match Walden McNair's magical signature with "Imperio". That's 'oh for three' you've lost against me, Walden. I will collect later for this one. Think on that while you wait for your next salary to get a replacement. Borgin, until next time."

After considering the options, I grudgingly decided to tour the Diagon shops again, this time as Harry so I could access all the normal stores to get school supplies (and for the discount everyone kept offering me). I'm sure you've seen the Daily Prophet's media blitz. I also got some more Harry-robes and a pair of glasses that don't look like either of my current options. I won't be caught blind from switching outfits anymore. Again, the most interesting parts of the trip happened behind closed doors.
I was heading away from Fortescue's when Albus appeared from a nearby shop and intercepted my path towards the Cauldron. Before saying anything he pointed my attention to the troop of six goblins that were approaching us in a quick march, led by Urthuk.
"Mr. Potter, we need to speak to you at Gringott's. Come with us, please."
The Headmaster stepped forward, placing himself slightly in front of me. "I'm afraid Mr. Potter and I have a previous engagement. Perhaps we can agree to meet in two hours in the Stalactite Meeting Room. I've always loved the murals in that one."
Urthuk looked displeased, but after glaring at each of us in turn, he nodded brusquely and turned his detail around to return to the bank. I threw out a hasty Muffliato and confronted Albus, but made it look like we were chatting pleasantly.
"Sir, why'd you say we would meet them at all?"
"I have received numerous communiqués from the Bank asking for your decision on their offers. I'm not entirely certain why you're holding back on this; their arrangements don't suggest that anything untoward would happen to Holly, only an interview and perhaps a blood sample."
"If they want to sample my... sister's blood, it's only as a taste test. I'm going to operate under the assumption that you've once again removed useful memories about me into your Pensieve so that you can live with your guilt. You need to see the last meeting between me and the goblins."
I dragged Albus to a private room in the Leaky Cauldron, extracted the full memory of Remus and me visiting the bank and we walked through the memory together in the portable Pensieve. After we popped back into real space, Albus had only one comment.
"Oh, my."
"Am I wrong to think that any trip by Holly into Gringott's Bank will be one-way?"
"No, you have the right of it. At least at this branch. Each Gringott's Bank stands independent as the public face of a clan faction. This faction evidently believes that Holly Evans represents a threat to them greater than any force of wizards or goblins extant. This is even more disconcerting, as the British faction is currently the most powerful of all the goblin clan alliances, going back to the time of British Imperialism. Has Holly said or done anything you can recall that might indicate why they fear her so greatly?"
"All I've ever done... all Holly ever did was walk into the bank and trade Galleons for Pounds Sterling. They watched her like vultures the whole visit."
"Oh, my."

We went to the meeting. At first the goblins were insulted by the Headmaster's attendance, but I meekly assured them that my last visit with Remus was less appropriate, since Albus is my magical guardian. Albus stepped up on his grandfatherly charm to their immediate irritation. They continued to argue and bandy about for an hour, after which they settled in to negotiate - maybe they're paranoid about Polyjuice as well. I couldn't follow half of what was discussed as Albus spoke to them in their language for the most part. At the end, we left with nothing more than an agreement that the goblins would leave Harry alone until his majority. I'm still accumulating debt and likely to be enslaved if I can't repay the money at that time, but it only takes effect when I come of age and sign the contracts. Defaulting on the contracts would lead to a death sentence for myself and any who ally with me; basically, it's death, my slavery or another goblin war. I'm sure to be outvoted. At least if I'm dead by then by other hands, the Goblins will just seize everything I have (which they already have anyway), and no war is needed. Turning myself as Holly over to them almost looks like the best solution for everyone else involved, except if I'm killed for this I really won't care about anyone being left behind to clean up the mess. They've constructed their trap perfectly, if Holly and Harry weren't one and the same.

After leaving Gringott's, Albus and I returned to the private room at the Leaky Cauldron. He cast a spell to show tracking charms and my robes lit up with labels like sponsor logos on a racecar driver's jumpsuit. With a second flourish he made them all vanish into smoke. "It seems the public is very curious about where you go and how you spend your money!"
"It's not my money, it's the goblins'. Thanks for stepping in, but I'd like for you to go over what you discussed with them using my Pensieve, because five minutes into it you lot slipped almost completely into Gobbledygook."
"Really? I thought your vacuous inattention was part of your performance! Well played anyway, young Harry."
He really prefers talking to Harry. The man has issues.
Following a simple dinner and a shared Pepper-Up Potion, we delved into his memory of the Gringott's meeting. The subsequent replay and analysis of the negotiation took us until this morning to finish. I've never been given a more keenly insightful analysis of anything, much less this kind of high-stakes verbal combat. Albus is an adept politician and negotiator. It makes me wonder if anything I've ever won from him was not already in his best interests. He doesn't always win, though. The goblins have us yet over a barrel, and I am still able to claim a victory now and then.
Case in point:
We had left our private room and were walking out groggily into the just-opening expanse of Diagon Alley when I realised Albus was still looking over Perenelle's Notebook.
"This is a remarkable volume. Do you mind? I'd like to borrow it." and Albus slipped the Notebook into some pocket of his robes.
"Yes I mind. Give it back!"
"Oh, not to worry, my boy. I'll return it in short order and just the same as it was, I promise."
"Yeah, because you're gonna give it back right now."
"Harry, we shouldn't be seen arguing in public..."
I would have been irritated anyway, but the night without sleep snapped me to confrontation-mode that much more quickly. I dragged his collar down so I could whisper into his ear. "Sir, do you think if my father had his Cloak on the night Riddle came to kill me that he might have escaped instead of being murdered?" Albus paused in his fumbling with a haunted expression replacing his geezerly grin. I pressed my advantage. "Nothing made his death necessary. I've seen your handwriting from the invitation to your office. It was the same handwriting on the anonymous note that accompanied my father's Cloak when it was given to me my first Christmas at Hogwarts. You asked him to borrow the Cloak, much like you're 'borrowing' another precious artifact from a doomed Potter. I'd like my book back please."
Albus turned suddenly to look straight at me with a startled and suspicious expression. His features began to soften into a knowing smile, but I know my anger was showing because a rage was swelling in my heart once more and I was too tired to bother hiding it. Albus quickly produced the small tile-covered volume and slipped it into my hand.
"Of course. Here you are. I didn't mean to presume but I was quite intrigued and..."
My growl cut through his pleasant ramble.
"You've got the Grimoire."
"What? What are you talking about?"
"The Potter Grimoire. You have it. Seeing that the Potters weren't long for this life, you quietly borrowed their most valuable artifacts right before they died. How... nice... of you. Y'know, protecting my heirlooms."
Albus rose back to his full height and gave me a look of mild concern.
"I was really hoping we had begun to trust one another again. I believe you are greatly mistaken, and that you shouldn't accuse others so rudely, particularly when you're tired. Your fatigue and anger are clouding your judgment. I did borrow your father's Cloak a week before his unfortunate demise, but it was not for any reason other than as a piece of research on a pet project of mine. You have your book back, and the goblin situation is settled for the time being. I suggest you return to the Weasleys where you should be. Molly must be absolutely beside herself by now!"
A sweep of his eye-destroying robes pushed me off-balance, and he then strode down the Alley before Disapparating from in front of Eyelops Owl Emporium, causing every avian within ten meters to start screeching. There was even one making a strangely insane-sounding cackle. I cringed at the reminder of losing Hedwig, as he no doubt intended.
He's got it. I want it back. As soon as I return to Hogwarts, I'm initiating 'Operation: Grimsnatch'.

Holly

*
Sign up to rate and review this story