Categories > Original > Fantasy

Tulips

by supermnm 0 reviews

Another assignment for writing. The first sentence was our prompt. I'm not so sure about this one. :| Too short, too.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2010-01-21 - Updated: 2010-01-22 - 437 words - Complete

0Unrated
And there on the desk of drawers was a crystal vase filled with nine long-stemmed tulips. Every fiber in my body was screaming, crying to me, yelling "get out!". I didn't listen.

I took a step forward, my heart pounding brutally in my ears.

Another step. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

One more step. I was close, now.

I reached out, slowly, unsure. My fingers brushed the petal of one, and all was calm. I felt at peace, felt like everything would be fine.

Then, pure pain shot down my spine. I gasped and fell away from the flowers, writing. I felt like I was on fire, it hurt!

And then, it stopped. The only sound in the room was my heavy breathing.

And footsteps.

With a bit of effort, I pushed myself up on my elbows, still gasping for breath. A pale yellow curtain fell into my face. I was momentarily confused, before realizing it was my hair... Which meant... The tulip bleached my hair?!?!

What the hell was going on?!

I shook the obstruction out of my vision, getting my first look at the person who would change my life. Or, well, end it.

We stared at each other for what seemed like forever. He was tall. Extremely tall. And, well, he was...

Godly.

But not the kind of god you pray to for prosperity and happiness. More the kind you run from in your nightmares.

I was enchanted.

He held a sheet white hand out to me. I took it and he gracefully hoisted me to my feet.

"You've been chosen," he said.

"I know." And I did. I don't know how, but I knew.

He pressed his dead lips to the back of my hand, and I was swept off my feet.

Quite literally.

I was propelled off my feet, and next thing I knew, I was outside. There was beautiful coloured glass floating all around me. A bird flew overhead, I noticed. I reached out to it, and all went black. That bird was the last thing I ever saw.

I woke up without eyes. It was fine, that's how things work. Eyes are the windows to the soul, you know. No soul equals no eyes.

It's been a good twelve-hundred years since that day. Technology's changed since then. People haven't. That's alright with me. I only see them in the event of their death anyways.
It's a good job.

My boss is a pain, though. He's not quite as attractive once you get to know him. Still though, this is an important responsibility.

Death, and whatnot.
Sign up to rate and review this story