Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Hollow Bottles

Zoning Out

by MarieArt 3 reviews

Gerard trailed behind his friend as he kept hearing a few lyrics from a song he had long forgotten; [/Until this turn in my head. I let you stay and you paid no rent. I spent twelve long months on ...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2010-04-20 - Updated: 2010-04-20 - 949 words

1Moving
Day one came too soon for Gerard. Climbing out from under his covers, he drug his feet across his friend's wooden floor and cracked the door open to find the home's owner clad in nothing more than a pair of plaid pajama bottoms, “Rough night?”

Gerard squinted and merely nodded, “Headache and a half.”

“First day off drugs, man,” Ray stated patting his shoulder. “Come on; breakfast is waiting on the table.”

“I cannot think about food right now,” Gerard stated preparing to shut the door until his friend stopped him from doing so. “What?”

“Eat,” he nearly demanded. “Please.”

Gerard bowed his head and fully opened the door, letting all of the natural sunlight from the living room engulf him and his new room. He didn't want to start an argument with the person that can truly help him succeed in what he really wants to do; become sober. “I guess I can eat a little something.” He gained another pat on the shoulder from his friend as they wandered down stairs and entered the even brighter kitchen. Gerard winced at the sight of more light then seated himself at the small table.

“Did you do anything last night?” Ray asked giving him a concerned yet determined look.

“Why so many questions?” he stated angrily. “Light this early kills me.” He covered his eyes and stared at the plate that had magically appeared in front of him.

“With that attitude, I think you haven't had anything; you'd be happy-go-lucky if you had taken anything,” Ray retorted sitting across from him.

“Correct, Professor Anti-Drug,” he spat hastily. “Now, can we eat in peace and maybe close a curtain or two?”

Ray nodded understandingly and closed one of the curtains above the sink, which significantly dimmed the room, “And it's not early; it is almost noon.”

Saying nothing, Gerard picked at his food miserably, but eventually ate all of it, “Can I go lay back down?”

“You're not going to sleep it off,” Ray stated firmly. “You're going to stay awake.” Groaning, he took his plate to the sink then sat back down at the table as Ray suggested, “How about you go to your mother's house, like you promised her and Mikey?”

“I almost forgot about that,” he stated guiltily. “Thanks for reminding me.”

Ray noticed that he had a more soft tone and smiled, “That's what I'm here for and I'm going with you, so I can make sure you make no side trips.”

“Now, I'm a child? Do you have to hold my hand too?” he asked sourly as his anger commenced resurfacing.

Ray chuckled, “Only if you want me to, man.”

Gerard laughed at his friend's lighthearted tone, “You win. Can we leave now?” Ray nodded as they stood up from the table, “Can I borrow some clothes? I didn't bring any with me yesterday.”

“Sure.”

Ray even ushered him to his closet and stood outside the door until he got ready. This time, he was going to be strict, which will make life difficult. In a way, Gerard understood, but mostly, it annoyed him. I only brought it on myself. He exited after Ray and looked around at the green grass with seemingly new eyes.

“Walk or drive?”

“Walk,” Gerard murmured glancing around for anything that would catch his eye.

“It'll be here when we get back, I promise,” Ray blurted giving him a gently push towards the end of the walk way.

Gerard trailed behind his friend as he kept hearing a few lyrics from a song he had long forgotten; Until this turn in my head. I let you stay and you paid no rent. I spent twelve long months on the lam. That's enough sitting on the fence, for the fear of breaking dams. He looked up to find Ray staring at him, “What?”

“You zoned out for a second,” he said softly. “It's like talking to a brick wall.”

“Sorry, I have a song stuck in my head,” he responded quietly as their walk came to an end. “We're already here? It took so much longer yesterday.”

Ray shrugged, “Zoning out takes time off your shoulders.” He knocked on the door and stood there just in case Donald didn't go to work that day. Luckily, Donna answered the door. “Hey, Donna. Long time, no see.”

“It seems that way,” she replied giving him a hug then stepped towards her oldest son. “How are you, baby? You don't look so well.”

“I'm fine, just couldn't get to sleep last night,” he mumbled hugging her.

“He has been zoning out, but there's no need to worry. My guess is that he's beginning to detox right before our eyes,” Ray stated optimistically.

Donna nodded and ushered them in, “Donald is working late tonight, so yesterday won't happen again.”

Gerard smiled at the reassurance, “Where's Mikes?” He glanced up the stairs and saw no sign of his younger brother.

“School; he should be home in time for you two to hang out for a little while,” Donna answered giving him another hug. “If not, he can say he's going to Ray's to spend the night, since it's Friday and Don doesn't know that you're staying there.”

Gerard nodded as Ray lingered around before entering the kitchen, leaving the two of them to themselves. He glanced around noticing things that he hadn't noticed the day before. His hazel-green eyes landed on an old photograph of Mikey and himself when they were younger, “I miss that.”

Donna looked around and saw the photograph, “Things could get back to that, if you try.”

Taking a deep breath, he smiled, “I have a good feeling about this time, mom.”
Sign up to rate and review this story