Categories > Original > Mystery > Truth, Lies, and Rebirth

Perfect Symmetry

by -ThisXSecretXNinja- 0 reviews

Who are you? What are you living for?

Category: Mystery - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2010-05-16 - Updated: 2010-05-16 - 968 words

0Unrated
Elaina

My first impression was that this must've been some sort of sick nightmare. However, when I observed my swollen fist up close, it appeared to me how real it looked and felt. In my head, I tried to think of a realistic scenario that could make sense out of this situation I was in. Perhaps, something had happened to my body, and I was now a part of some human experiment.

I shut my eyes, tried to delve into my thoughts, and attempted to read what my body was telling me. In the end, I got nothing. As I searched through the entire bedroom for answers, I ended up drawing a blank at every turn.

I ran my fingers through my hair before I approached the broken mirror pieces on the floor. At this, I came to the conclusion that I must have blacked out at the realization of the sudden body switch. That would make sense, right? Judging by the mass of blankets that covered the entire area of the floor, I imagine that either someone else or I must have gone into a post-shock rage. I exhaled briskly before bringing my hands towards my face. This definitely wasn't the norm.

I took the time to analyze my surroundings. The place was quiet as can be, displaying signs of nothing more than the average townhouse in the big city. There were pictures on the wall of a girl who looked about the same age as I used to be- twenty-seven going on twenty-eight. However, the thin girl in the picture had short cropped dark brown hair. Her skin shined like porcelain, the pink blush on her cheeks appearing brightly against the viscosity of her pale skin color.

There were many strange family portraits in which her nature seemed very distant. There was a rather vague and displeased expression that decorated her hazel eyes. Who would hang pictures of themselves in a such a manner? It seemed inherently strange and peculiar.

As it became visible that I had become this unique stranger, I started to ask myself more and more questions about who I really was. Was my name even Elaina? Could it be I've woken up from a deep sleep where nothing was ever real? All I knew is that I wanted to know more about this person.

I searched through drawers for something relevant to my curiosity and ended up stumbling upon some old letters hidden in a small box. The letters didn't clarify who was writing but they were addressed to someone with the name Desiree.

"Desiree." The name sounded so familiar when I whispered it, yet didn't proceed to ring a bell. I blinked once or twice before deciding to give myself a little time to let this all sink in.

That was when I heard a door slam closed from downstairs. Someone's voice then rang up through the stair corridor, "Des? Are you awake?"

Clearing my throat, I replied back a throaty, "Yeah," which came out sounding a little different than I'd expected.

"We're coming up," the voice called back before the sound of multiple footsteps clamored up the stairs.

I shook my head, mentally preparing myself for whatever visitors were approaching.

"Des, we've brought you some medicine and ice cream!" a sing-song voice stated before a girl with light blonde hair strolled into the room, collectedly putting down her stuff at the door. As she sat down on the edge of the bed comfortably, another girl with very curly black hair and dark skin chuckled before walking in and saying, "We were worried about you for a while. You were asleep for so long."

"Asleep?" I asked in confusion, "What do you mean?"

A worried expression crossed the two girls faces and suddenly, it seemed they were exchanging a private conversation with one another. This was strange...

"Des, do you remember anything about this past month?" the light-haired girl asked diligently, being a little more cautious than when she entered the room before.

I didn't know how to answer. At that moment, I couldn't even recall who I really was, because I couldn't remember what was real.

The awkwardness of two pairs of eyes staring at me, disillusioned by the thought that I was unaware of the situation. It was embarrassing. It almost took me back to being human again. That's when the dark-haired girl spoke to the other.

"We should probably explain everything then," she said, before sitting down on the vacant side of the bed.

"Des, there was an accident...and you fell into a coma. Recently, within the past few days, the doctors informed us that you had come out of it. They also told us that you would be able to come home for some rest. However, they did mention that there'd be some side-effects. Do you remember who we are?" she explained slowly, nodding her head as she awaited a response.

Shaking my head slowly, I swallowed nervously at their disappointed facial expressions before the other coaxed, "Come on, don't you remember my name? It's Lynette, your room mate."

"And I'm Ava," the dark-haired girl reminded, a little irritation hinting through her tone of voice. Sighing, she stood up and said before walking out, "We were hoping things would be better today but we'll take what we can get. Anyways, we made some plans with some friends and we were wondering if you were feeling well enough to come join us."

Sitting up a little straighter, I coughed a little bit and muttered, "If that's alright..."

"It's up to you," Lynette grinned before bouncing into an upright stance and letting herself out of the room. I raised my hand to my cheek and exhaled hard, before following them reluctantly into the hall and down the stairs.
Sign up to rate and review this story