Categories > Original > Romance > Olive and an Arrow

over ten years have gone by and you're still mine.

by KissedByANerd 0 reviews

Alex Gaskarth comes to the rescue with come comforting words of wisdom.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2010-07-24 - Updated: 2010-07-25 - 1314 words

0Unrated

The next morning I awoke to the delicious smell of bacon and eggs.
I shoved the heavy floral comforter off of my sticky body and swung my legs over the side of my queen sized bed. My feet hit the carpeted floor easily and I stretched my arms above my head.

I glanced at my clock and yawned, 7:25am.

Who is cooking breakfast in my apartment at 7:30 in the morning?

I instinctively followed the smell into my kitchen. I spotted my glasses on the table and placed them on the bridge of my nose.

The scent was overwhelming as Brighten Montgomery, my best friend of seven years, set a plate of hot crispy bacon on the table.

In front of my chair sat a large glass of my favorite smoothie, banana mango.

Brighten walked back to the stove and poured the eggs on to a platter while wiping off the mess from the blender.

Note to self: Buy a blender that doesn’t leak.

She grabbed the plate off of the counter and set it on the table next to the steaming bacon.

“I thought maybe you needed some company this morning before you went to work, a nice breakfast and a best friend will always start your day off great.”

The smile on her face was contagious as she spooned a great amount of the eggs onto her plate. I could never understand it, she was 5'4 and 115 pounds yet she ate everything in her sight and then some.

“Don’t get me wrong this is very...kind of you. But lets get real, what are you really doing here at seven in the morning?”

Brighten eyed the food she had just prepared. “I cooked you breakfast, can’t I do something out of the goodness of my heart for my best friend?”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, what are you really doing here?”

She sighed and set her fork down on her plate easily. “I wanted to talk to you about what happened with Jack yesterday.”

I smirked. “I knew there was something else, you always have an ulterior motive.”

Brighten gasped, “I do not! I just wanted to know what happened is all. I have no ulterior motives.”

Just the thought of Jack made my stomach queasy and I instantly lost my appetite.

“We just broke up, that’s about it.”


I took my plate over to the sink and dumped the contents into the garbage disposal. Brighten turned to look and me and she sighed.

“That is not all and you know it, Ari.”

Sure, that wasn’t all that happened but I really didn’t want to talk about it either.

“Yes, it is. Look, im going to be late for work.” When really I had a while before I had to clock in at Starbucks.

I hated lying to her, but if it got me out of talking about Jack and my breakup then I was all for it.

“Fine,” She said exasperated. “But I will get it out of you eventually.”

I walked her to the door and smiled. “Thanks for the breakfast, Bright. You really are the best.”

Brighten rolled her auburn eyes and laughed. “If you would of eaten any of it maybe.”

“I’m not to hungry this morning, it’s the thought that counts anyway.”

With that she left and I was alone once again. It seemed like every time I was alone memories of Jack and I would replay over and over again in my head like I was purposefully torturing myself.

I walked back into the kitchen and picked up a few pieces of bacon on my way up to my room.

My cell phone buzzed rapidly on my night stand and I flipped it open to reveal one new text message.

Coffee @ Starbucks 2 pm? - Alex

I smiled to myself as I tapped back my reply and shoved my phone into my jean pocket.

I checked the time on my alarm clock and started to panic when I saw it was ten till two.

I ran to my closet and slipped on my Fermium t-shirt and flew down the stairs. I grabbed my keys off of the counter and headed out the door to meet my best friend.

Anytime, you know that. - Aria

~~~

I pulled into the Starbucks parking lot inwardly regretting ever agreeing to come to my place of work on my day off.

I sighed and pushed open the door. The aroma of coffee beans and pastries hit me like a load of bricks and I scanned the store for Alex.

I spotted him sitting in the back with his laptop on the small round table in front of him.

His coffee cup was glued to his lips as he stared intently at the screen. 'Do You Remember' by Jack Johnson lulled softly in the background.

I made my way over to Alex and sat next to him on the couch. He smiled at me without taking his eyes off the screen and I sighed.

“What are you reading?”

He shut his laptop and set his coffee on the table gently. “Nothing important, how are you doing?”

I groaned and leant back on the couch tiredly. “Well, to be honest im getting kind of annoyed by that question.”

“I know, but im worried about you, Ari. As well as all of the other people that have even dared to toss that question at you.”

He smiled softly and took my hand in his. “You know you mean the word to me and I don’t want you hurting.”

Alex has been my best friend ever since kindergarten.

We were next door neighbors all through grade school and for most of our highschool careers.

Alex and his band got signed and he dropped out of school to tour with his friends and they have gotten pretty big since the last time I have seen him.


I studied his face thoughtfully remembering the Alex I had once been friends with. He had been slightly chubby compared to the Alex that was sitting before me.

His hair was longer and darker with a blonde streak through his bangs. A gray beanie covered the majority of his head and set just above his dark eyes. There was a bit of scruff on his face and i assumed he had forgotten to shave this morning but it was cute anyway, he was Alex Gaskarth.

“I know I am, and I really wish people would stop worrying about me. I’m fine, im not falling apart because Jack broke up with me. My world didn’t revolve around Jack Barakat.”


The look in Alex’s eyes told me otherwise.

“Ari, you know as well as I that-that statement is not true. You and Jack did everything together. It was like every time somebody said 'Jack' your name was automatically attached to his like it was meant to be that way.”

Memories of Jack and my relationship flooded back into my memory and I cursed Alex inwardly. “Alright, so maybe you’re right. But im not falling apart, okay?”

Alex didn’t seem to be fully persuaded but he nodded nevertheless.

“Okay, I believe you babe. But please call me if anything goes wrong okay? I’m always here for you not matter where I am in the country, you know that.”

I nodded and he enveloped me in a tight hug. “I love you, Aria. That won’t ever change, no matter what Jack says.”

He laughed and his whole body shook beneath mine. I rolled my eyes and planted a small kiss on his cheek.

“I love you too, Al.”

Well all these times
They come and go
Alone don't seem so long
Over 10 years have gone by
We cant rewind
We're locked in time
But your still mine

Do you remember?
Sign up to rate and review this story