Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Stockholm Syndrome

Ten

by whoah-that 7 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Bob Bryar,Mikey Way - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2010-08-27 - Updated: 2010-08-28 - 1169 words - Complete

5Original
Paulina watched him as he left, confused. She sighed and stood, also walking out of the beautiful room. She emerged back into the hall, looking around and trying to remember which way she'd come. Paulina saw the front door at one end, and decided to follow the opposite direction.

She walked, peering into each room as she went, wondering at how big the house was. So many rooms, and that was only on the ground floor. Eventually, her search led her to the kitchen, where Robert was seated and reading a newspaper.

Paulina tried to catch a glimpse of what it was called, hoping to figure out where she was. Before she could focus her sight, however, Robert rustled the paper and shut it, folding it and slipping it into his back pocket.

"Nice try," he told her, standing. "But, no such luck."

"Oh," she said, beginning to wander around.

"What are you doing?" he asked, walking over to Paulina.

"I don't know. Mikey told me to find something to do."

"Well, have you?" Robert ran his hand through his blond hair, yawning as though he'd just woke up.

"I was playing piano," Paulina told him, wondering where the glasses were kept so she could get something to drink.

"And now?"

"Looking to get a glass of water." When she said this, Robert reached around behind the girl, opening a cupboard and pulling out a crystal cup. He handed it to her and nodded to the sink. Paulina thanked him and filled it. She sniffed the water before taking a tentative sip.

"No ammonia. I promise." Paulina looked at him questioningly. "We all find out everything that happens," Robert told her. "Sooner or later." Paulina nodded and took another sip. Just as she was about to say something, she inhaled a bit of water and began to cough and choke. Robert patted her on the back for a few minutes before she began to calm down.

"Thanks," she said, then began coughing violently, again. Only this time, she wasn't choking. It sounded like she was unable to breathe through her windpipe. After a few moments, she clamped her mouth shut and began to breathe deeply and slowly through her nose, the coughs dying down until they stopped.

"Paulina," Robert said, his voice suddenly stern. "Why were you coughing like that? That wasn't a normal cough." Paulina placed her hand lightly on her chest, a gentle wheezing sound issuing from her throat.

"I have a mild case of asthma," she told him shakily. Tears had rolled down her face from when she was choking, and her cheeks were still pink.

"There was no inhaler in your bag when we got you," he said, crossing his arms and staring at her.

"I don't carry it. I can usually--" She paused to wheeze, pressing down on her chest with her hand, and continued. "I can usually control it. It's a very rare occasion that I need--" she wheezed again. "That I need the inhaler."

"Well, it certainly seems like you need one now," Robert observed.

"No--I--I'm--" She couldn't continue. Paulina gripped her chest and neck, struggling to breathe.

Robert grabbed her by the forearm, dragging her out of the kitchen and to the foot of the stairs. He picked up the small girl, carrying her up many flights if steps, before running down a hallway and turning into a bedroom.

"Mikey," he said, shaking the younger man's shoulder. "Mikey, where's your inhaler?"

"Bedside table, middle drawer," he said sleepily. "Why?"

"Apparently, Paulina has asthma, and she's having a particularly severe attack as we speak." He found the device, shook it, and held it to Paulina's mouth. He pressed down and she inhaled the medicine. Another hit, and her breathing had regulated once more. Knees shaking, she collapsed on the floor. It had been years since she'd had an attack that bad.

"If she has asthma," Mikey said, sitting up in his bed and grabbing his glasses off the bedside table. "Why didn't she have an attack when we first got her?"

"She says it's mild, and she can usually control it without an inhaler."

"Hm...And when you can't control it, how bad are the attacks?" Mikey asked Paulina, who was still recuperating on the floor.

"Bad," she whispered, her voice raspy from coughing.

"Hm. We'll have to get her an inhaler."

"That's a pain in the ass," Robert said.

"Yeah, well, I'm sure we'll find a way. If people can buy heroin and cocaine for years without getting caught, we should be able to get our hands on an inhaler and asthma medicine."

"True," Robert sighed, grabbing Paulina by the arm and getting her off the floor. He led her out of Mikey's room, shutting the door behind them. "You should have been carrying your inhaler with you," he told her.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't planning on being kidnapped that day." Paulina followed him back down the stairs, through the hall, and into the kitchen.

"You're legally an adult, now. Technically, it's abduction, not kidnap." Paulina sighed, not bothering to argue. It wasn't like it mattered what it was called.

“Whatever,” Paulina whispered, walking down the hallway beside Robert.

“How far-between are these attacks, usually?” Robert asked, instinctively placing a steadying hand on her shoulder as they descended the stairs.

“The last time I had an attack like that was years ago. I don’t think you should be worried.”

“Good, because you’re going out tonight, and we can’t risk another attack.”

“I’m going out?” Paulina asked, looking quizzically up at Robert, who sighed heavily. Before she’d even realized what she’d done, Robert had used his foot to knock her legs out from under her. Paulina went tumbling to the landing of the flight of stairs that they were on, throwing her hands out to break the fall just before her head connected with the side of the wall.

“I really wish you’d learn, Paulina,” Robert said, approaching the young girl from above. He bent over, grabbing her around the waist and propping her up on her feet. “I don’t like hurting you anymore than you like getting hurt. So please, for both our sakes, stop asking questions.”

“I’m sorry,” she muttered, rubbing her side where the edge of one of the steps had dug into her hip. “I forget. It slipped.” Her knee was hurting, as though it had struck the wooden stairs the wrong way. She limped slightly as they continued down the winding staircase. “So…You should tell me where I’m going, what I’m doing there, and who’s taking me.”

“Dinner, socializing, Gerard.”

Paulina groaned audibly.


I updated for you all. I know it's been a few days, and, despite having a shit-ton of homework to be doing, I managed to eek out a new chapter. Good? Good. This should keep you all satiated for a bit longer. Show some love in the comments and subscriptions. OverAndOutxx
Sign up to rate and review this story