Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Run Like Hell

Recovery

by westie 0 reviews

Jordan wakes up in the hospital to recover, but before he does, he remembers something crucial from his old life.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2010-11-12 - Updated: 2010-11-12 - 541 words

0Unrated
“How’s he doing?”

“He’s fine. He should be waking up soon.”

“Really?”

“Yes, he made a fine recovery. He’ll feel a bit woozy when he wakes up, but he’ll feel better with more rest.”



“Laura, he gave me a new mission,” I said as I sat down at the table and put my head in my hands.

“What is it?” she asked as she handed me a cup of coffee and sat across from me with her own.

“It’s about Dmitri,” I nearly whispered as I stirred my coffee, anguish staining my face. She put her cup down slowly.

“What about Dmitri?” she whispered too. Fear was etched across her features.

“I…I have to…” I couldn’t say it.

“You have to what?”

I took a deep breath. “I have to kill him, Laura,” I said shakily. “As punishment for his defection.”

She was quiet for a moment.

“I love you, Jordan,” she said suddenly. “No matter what happens, I will always love you. I don’t care what you have to do, even if you’re the one who has to kill him.”




I woke up to the sound of a heated debate.

“Why didn’t you say so?”

“Because I wanted him to figure it out on his own!”

“But we’re your friends! Why not tell us?”

“Maybe I wanted to think about it still. It’s my choice what I want to think about, don’t be so controlling.”

“Honey, she’s not trying to control you, we just wanted to know is all!”

I had no idea what they were talking about, so I tried to stop their argument by sitting up. The key with these girls was to distract them before they began overbearing you with emotion.

“Jordan!” Stasi squealed, nearly jumping on the bed with me in her excitement. Fortunately, Veronica got her about the waist before she could get enough leverage, raising her into the air and away from the bed.

“How you feeling, buddy?” Terra asked.

I tried to sit up. Bad idea. My head felt like it was about to explode.

“Not so good,” I grimaced, holding my forehead. “Where are we? What happened?”

“When that dog attacked you, we called an ambulance,” Stasi explained. “You got bit, and the doctors said you were infected. That dog had rabies, Jordan.”

“Rabies?”

“Rabies, you know, the disease that makes you sick,” Terra put in helpfully.

“No shit, Sherlock,” Veronica said.

“Anyway,” Stasi interrupted. The other girls stopped bickering. “They gave you shots, and then you woke up. End of story.”

The doctor walked in at that moment. “Hello Jordan. I see you’re awake.”

“No shit, Sher-” Veronica began, but Clara elbowed her in the side.

“Yeah, I feel like total shit though,” I said, smiling at their antics.

“Okay, well, I’m going to let you go home soon, I just have some paperwork for you to fill out.” She handed me a file with a bunch of papers in it. “Just call the nurse in when you’re finished, and then your friends can take you home.” She left, and Stasi wordlessly stole the papers from me and started filling them out for me.
Sign up to rate and review this story