Dobby - devoted servant and loyal friend. What would it take to prove himself a hero? AU. Post final battle.
(#) hammerhead 2010-11-20 09:13:06 AMDamn good, an Dobby got the last laugh when he blew Malformed to pieces. I always thought that Dobby would have done more than she let on, ie made sure Harry had food at Durskaban and looked for other Potter elves and or ways to help Harry defeat the Dark lords Riddle and Dumble. Can't wait to see what else pops out of your head.
Author's responseI always figured that Dobby was doing something behind the scenes for Harry -- even if Harry didn't know it. He was way too faithful and loyal to do otherwise.
Thanks for your kind words.
- A beuatiful one, Mike, and a much more deserved and appropriate ending for Dobby than in canon. I quite love it that he managed to pretty well terminate his former master's line, using their tool against them, before he died; that's exceedingly appropriate. It would be amusing to read the DMLE report on what happened to Malfoy Manor.
I do wonder how much more Dobby could've helped them if the author had thought of it (I reckon he could've made camping in that tent much, much easier for all concerned). But, then, I disagree with a number of JKR's choices in "that book".
Author's responseThanks, Evan. I've often wondered the same thing about the elves in general and especially Dobby with his fanatical loyalty to Harry. I may have to keep that in mind if I ever do a DH-rewrite (yeah, like that's gonna happen grin).
(#) jabarber69 2010-11-20 12:13:12 PMthat was outstanding....I love reading stories that have dobby and winky in them and they are best friends with harry and hermione....
thanks for writing this....
Author's responseThanks, buddy. I'm glad you liked it. The House-elves are really under-utilized in canon and most fics -- even by me, for the most part. I think that they need more recognition.
- Many thanks for writing this! Dobby did a magnificent job of rescuing Cassie and taking care of that ferret! I just wish that he had survived......sighs. :)
Author's responseThanks for reading and your kind words. I suppose that Dobby could have survived, but it would have taken the poignancy out of it. If it's any consolation, my wife and daughter were about ready to kill me for "mistreating poor Dobby like that" when they read the draft I sent to my beta. sheepish grin I'm surprised I wasn't consigned to sleeping on the proverbial couch.
- You made me smile and laugh while shedding a tear. I always liked Dobby and felt that JKR... well if I were Harry, with access to a friend like Dobby, the story would have been a lot more believeable.
Author's responseYeah, that was kinda what I was thinking when I wrote it. Thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
- Very touching, and very much within Dobby's character as written. Well done, sez I!
Author's responseThanks, Alorkin. I tried to keep him that way, but it was hard, considering how little JK gave us to work with. Glad you liked it.
- Screw Rowling, Dobby is awesome incarnate. I love how you captured the pure essence of Dobby, especially with what little info She-Who-Must-Not-Write-The-End-Of-A-Series gave us.
Still don't get why she couldn't let Kreacher be sacrificed, considering he was already old. I mean really, what was the point of killing Hedwig and Dobby?
Author's responseI agree. JKR really had no concept of which characters to kill off. But then, I'm one of those who thinks that someone else wrote the last two books. I think that it was some weird mechanism for generating angst, but wasn't there enough of it already?
Oh well; she's rich and we're not. Sad, really.
Glad you liked it and thanks again.