Categories > Games > Fire Emblem > Prideful Love

Ch10

by Saicha6744 0 reviews

Category: Fire Emblem - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2010-12-01 - Updated: 2010-12-01 - 1463 words - Complete

0Unrated
Disclaimer see ch1.

*****

Chapter 10: We Go To War

Through all the remaining battles Rebecca avoided Raven the best she could. Raven saw this and it hurt him deeply. What had he done to her to deserve such treatment?
Through all the battles with Sonja, Linus, Denning and Limstella...Rebecca did not utter a word to him or even look in his direction. When he tried to talk to her she would say something like, "Coming Dart!!" and run off. At those times the pirate was not even remotely in sight!
Raven shook his head. This hurt him just as much as losing his family and House Cornwell. He did not have the strength to deal with Rebecca's strange ways anymore. After this final battle was done he would leave.

For good.

Hector and Lyn grew close over the course of their journey. As did Eliwood and Ninian...but Ninian was dead now. Slain by Eliwood's own hand.
As Eliwood went into the caves near Ostia to retrieve the Durandal, the legendary blade that Roland used to slay dragons, Ninian escaped from Nergal in her dragon form. During the battle with Linus she willingly accompanied Nergal in order to save her companions from the dark druid's wrath.

Once she reached Eliwood she tried to transform back into her human state...but her time ran out. Eliwood came out of the cave, brandishing the fiery Durandal. His eyes locked on the Ice Dragon and something strange came over him. His arms and body moved out of its own accord, slaying Ninian.
With her last breath she transformed back into the lovely aqua-haired dancer. A few last incoherent words slipped from her dying lips...then all was silent.

Nills' shrill scream pierced the air as his heart nearly gave out at the sight of his dead sister. He never forgave Eliwood for the grave misdeed. He never forgave himself for not keeping a closer eye on his beloved sister.

Eliwood became completely silent. He felt like an utter failure. He failed to save his father and slew the only woman he loved. He was not worthy to be marquess of Pharae. He was not worthy to be human.

Yet as grieved as Eliwood was over his losses he was not blind to his friend's loss. Hector acted strangely. The usually gruff blue-haired noble was now acting nice. He did not even shoo Serra away when she pestered him about hair decorations, offering to buy her some instead. Serra overacted on this saying that a cataclysm was coming and ran off as fast as her little feet could carry her.
The red-haired noble found out from Oswin, Hector's vassal, that Uther passed away a while ago. Hector did not take the news good and became angry.

Mark's self-esteem was at an all time low. His master plan to promote love among the units to increase morale seemed to be a major flop. Still, they travelled so far and fought so hard. They could not afford to lose now. The final battle loomed ahead.
Negal would not be gentle in his onslaught.


Dragon's Gate rose ominously from the thick forest. The crumbling structure seemed to have grown from the very earth itself. The Gate was not built by human hand, but those of Dragons long ago in the time of the Scouring. Nills gazed at the structure, the feeling of deja-vu creeping into his heart. Of course he had been here before, with Ninian, as captives of Nergal....but that was not it. Nills felt like he was here a long long time ago. He glanced at Eliwood. The noble was good to his sister and Nills realised that before bitterness completely consumed him. After the defeat of Limstella the young dragon boy told Eliwood all about himself and Ninian.

Ninian was considered an Oracle among her people and she was gifted with strange and wonderful powers. Nergal lured them through the Dragon's Gate. They do not know why they broke all the rules and opened the gate...his voice sounded so sweetly familiar though they could not place where they had heard it before.
They opened the Gate expecting paradise, but instead found a waking hell. Nergal captured them and hunted them after they fled from the island.

'Everything now leads up to this moment,' said Nills as he continued to eye the ancient building before him. 'We can't bring Ninian back...but we can't let Nergal call dragons through the Gate. It will be a second Scouring. I'll help the best I can with my flute. Ninian would be disappointed if I did not do my part.'

Eliwood smiled at the young dragon boy and bard. He placed a reassuring hand on Nills' shoulder for he could find no words to say that would suit the occasion. At least Archsage Athos would be joining them in battle this time.

Athos was undoubtedly the most powerful ally in their army. He would be vital in Mark's strategy. The strategist scratched his head and wondered who he would take into battle.

Lyn...there was no doubt about the green-haired Sacean swordswoman. Besides she would not leave Hector's side for anything.

Hector and Eliwood...obviously they insisted. Eliwood mostly proclaiming that it was his fight and that he had to see it to the end. Too bad the young noble was not as strong as Mark would have liked...but what can you do? Nobles are your superiors. You listen or they give you the boot.

Nills...Mark was not too keen on the idea, but the boy's powers could prove useful.

But four more was needed before Mark would feel satisfied. His sharp eyes gazed over the camp, sizing each unit up and mentally measuring their strengths and weaknesses. His gaze shifted rapidly form one unit to another, briefly pausing on Rebecca.

The girl finally managed to string her own bow? Mark thought in vague surprise as he watched the sniper string her bow.

His gaze shifted again and landed on Raven. The Hero looked calm and focussed.

Now that is something I can use... Mark grinned. Well that only leaves two more units, but he did not have to think hard over who to choose. Lady Louise and Lord Pent.
Mark felt satisfied. Maybe this battle would not be lost.

Mark rose from his seat on the stone steps that led inside the Dragon's Gate. It was time. They could tarry no longer.

'Everyone! Gather round, please. I have some things to say to all of you.' Mark waited patiently as the army did as they were told.
'We have fought together for the better part of a year. Some of our missions ended in tragedy others in joy. All of those past events have prepared us for the task that lay ahead. Do not doubt yourselves! You are powerful, swift and intelligent beyond any army that I worked with before.'

'I thought he was just an apprentice...' Matthew muttered to himself rather enjoying the irony.

'Death may come to those who go into battle today, but it is not for me to determine that. I know your strengths. But I am not blind to your weaknesses. That is why I only chose a handful to accompany me into the Dragon's Gate. Come forth when I call your name and claim your place by my side for honour and glory!'

Mark called out the names of his chosen warriors and they stood proudly behind him. The tactician turned to face their grim faces.
'Do not fear, my fellow warriors, my friends, I will guide you to the best of my ability. Nergal won't know what hit him.'

Turning back he faced the rest of the army. His face and voice was grim now.

'We go into the heart of evil with naught but hope in our hearts. Should that hope fail and the battle go ill....flee. Flee to Fargus's ship and sail to the very edge of the world if that be your wish. Even there you will not be safe from dragons, but you may live a little longer. Should this battle go ill and any of you survive to tell the tale it will become your responsibility to keep alive what we have done here today.'

Turning again to face his chosen warriors Mark briskly walked up the stone steps and said loudly, 'Now we go to war!'


****

Lynai thanks for the review in ch8!!! (interesting name...is it your alias or your real name?)


Two or three chapters left...

Thank you to everyone that stuck to the story so far...just goes to show that there are quite a few FE fans out there...
Sign up to rate and review this story