Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Summer of Secrets

Chapter Twenty-One

by godessoftrees 0 reviews

Bill pays Ginny a visit.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Ginny,Harry - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2010-12-09 - Updated: 2010-12-09 - 2942 words

-1Boring
Warnings For This Chapter: cutting mentioned




Disclaimer: I hate doing this. It only reminds me I don't own Harry Potter.




Chapter Twenty-One




Harryand Ginny were among the first to enter the Great Hall that morning. They were halfway through breakfast when Ron and Hermione sat down across from them. Ron immediately began reaching for the food nearest to him, and piled his plate high. Hermione shook her head but didn't scold him for once.




“Will you pass the porridge, Ginny?” Hermione asked pleasantly.




Ginny nodded. With her left hand, she grabbed the bowl of porridge and gave it to Hermione. She was surprised when Hermione put the bowl down, grabbing her hand.




“Ginny!” Hermione gasped.“Oh, Ginny! Oh, oh this is wonderful!”




Pulling her hand back, Ginny flushed. Ron turned to look at his sister, his eyes narrowed.




“What's wonderful?” Ron asked, his mouth full of food.




Harry sighed. He hadn't been looking forward to this moment. Arthur had warned him this would happen. Harry thought back to that moment last summer when Arthur had pulled him aside to talk to him about his only daughter.




“Ginny is my baby, Harry. My only daughter, and my youngest child. So, you understand how it is hard for me to see her growing up so fast?” Arthur clasped Harry's shoulder as they walked toward the orchard not far from the Burrow.




“I understand, sir. I want you to know I love Ginny, and I would never let anything happen to her anymore than I would hurt her intentionally.” Harry swallowed nervously.




“I know that, son. I also know Ginny loves you.” Arthur sighed before he continued.“Ginny has loved you for a long time. Yes, at first it was achildhood crush, but over the years I have noticed she got over her crush and fell in love with you. I want to know that when the time comes you will take care of my daughter.”




Harry raised an eyebrow. “I don't quite understand, sir. What do you mean?”




Arthur flushed before he continued.“Well, Ginny is a Weasley, and I just want to be sure that she won't make me a grandfather anytime soon.”




Harry was horrified. He turned red.“I-I, w-we don't plan on . . . on doing . . . doing thatanytime soon, sir.”




Arthur sighed in relief. “I'm glad to hear that.” He stopped walking and turned to Harry. “I know you and Ginny have only just begun dating, but I have a feeling that this was meant to be between the two of you. I want you to know that if and when the time comes, which I'm sure it will, you have my blessing. If anyone had to take my daughter away from me, Harry, Iwould choose you.”




Harry was stunned. “That means a lot to me, sir. It really does. And I promise you that no matter what I will never let anyone hurt Ginny. Not Voldemort, his Death Eaters, or anyone else.”




“I know you'll take care of her, son. I wouldn't expect anything less of you.”




Ron repeating, “What's so wonderful?” broke Harry out of his memory.




Harry put his arm around Ginny and pulled her close to him. “Well, Ron, last night I asked Ginny to marry me. And she said yes.”




Ron's jaw dropped in shock. “W-what?But you're too young! Ginny isn't even sixteen yet!”




Ginny's eyes narrowed. “I'll be sixteen in August, Ron.”




“We're not going to get married right away.” Harry assured Ron. “We're both going to finish school before we even think about planning a wedding.”




At Harry's words, Ron relaxed slightly. “Well, I suppose if it had to be someone I'd rather it be you.”




Harry was shocked that Ron was being so agreeable. He had half expected him to attack him again. He turned to Ginny and kissed her hand before continuing to eat.




After they all finished eating, Ginny leaned across the table and whispered, “I want to talk to you both. Room of Requirement?”




Ron and Hermione nodded. In the Entrance Hall, Harry pulled Ginny aside, telling Ron and Hermione to go ahead.




“What do you want to talk to them about?” Harry held both of her hands in his.




“I know I haven't really spoken to them about my cutting, but I want them to know that I decided to stop,” Ginny whispered.




Harry smiled. He kissed her tenderly.“I'm so proud of you, sweetheart.”




Ginny smiled back at him. “I know. I love you.”




“I love you, too.” Harry kissed her again. “We better go catch up to them.”




When Harry and Ginny reached the Room of Requirement, they opened the door to find a roaring fire in the hearth. Two love seats were in front of the fire, one already occupied by Ron and Hermione. After Harry and Ginny sat down, Hermione wasted no time getting to the point.




“So, what's going on? Why did you want to talk to us?” Hermione shifted in Ron's arms to look at Ginny better.




“Well,” Ginny began, “I know I haven't really talked to either of you about my cutting that much.” Ron showed immediate discomfort at the topic of discussion. “I know you aren't comfortable with this, Ron, but I want you to understand.”




For the next hour and a half, Ginny explained everything to Ron and Hermione: why she cut, how she felt when she did, how she felt afterwards, and the scientific part Bill had shared with her. She answered their questions patiently. Once they understood everything, Ginny proceeded to tell them about her dream, and her decision to stop hurting herself.




“Oh, Ginny, that's great. I'm so proud of you!” Hermione launched herself off of the love seat and embraced Ginny.




“I'm proud of you, too, Gin. Iknow I don't say it often, but I love you, and I would hate to lose you,” Ron said sincerely.




“I love you, too, Ron.” Ginny smiled. “Please don't say anything to Mum and Dad. I want to be the one to tell them.”




“Of course.” Ron nodded in agreement.




After another hour of conversation, Hermione looked at the time and gasped. “Oh, I have homework to finish!”




Before anyone could speak a word, Hermione had fled the room, leaving Harry, Ron and Ginny in fits of laughter.




H/G




Ginny*]was sitting in the common room with Harry, working on her Charms essay, when Hedwig appeared at the window. She jumped up and opened the window so the owl could fly in. Hedwig held out her leg so Ginny could untie her letter, and flew back out the window towards the Owlery. Eagerly, Ginny unrolled the parchment and read:




Gin,




Be in Dumbledore's office at 6:30 this evening.




Love,




Bill




Confused, Ginny handed the letter to Harry. He shrugged. “I guess you won't know until you get there.”




“Go with me?” Ginny asked.




“If you want me to; Bill might want to talk to you alone,” Harry added.




Ginny nodded. “If he does, he'll say so when we get there.” She pulled Harry to his feet. “We'd better go on to dinner if we have to be at Dumbledore's early.”




H/G




Ahalf hour later, Harry and Ginny were sitting in Dumbledore's office. They had arrived five minutes earlier than Bill had instructed. Suddenly, the fire in the grate flared higher before Bill stepped into the room.




“Bill!” Ginny jumped up.




“Hey, Munchkin. How've you been?” Bill hugged her.




“Fine. Aren't you supposed to be on your honeymoon?” Ginny questioned him.




“Yes, I am. I just got the letter you had sent to me a while back and thought I'd better come see you in person. Fleur's still in Paris.” Bill explained.“How're you doing, Harry?”




“Good.” Harry paused. “I can leave if you want to talk to Ginny alone. . . .”




“No, it's okay. I figured she'd drag you along.” Bill smiled knowingly.




“I did not drag him anywhere!” Ginny protested.




“Sure you didn't, Munchkin.” Bill kissed the top of her head.




“What was so important that you had to leave your honeymoon?” Ginny asked.




“I told you, I just received your letter.” Bill conjured a chair and sat down next to Ginny.“You said you felt like Fleur was taking your place.”




“I know she isn't, Bill. I'm okay now-”




“That doesn't matter to me,” Bill cut her off. “What matters is that you think anyone could ever replace you in my life. No one could ever take your place, Gin. Surely you know that.”




“I do now. I was just being silly,” Ginny told him.




“I'm not so sure about that,” Bill replied. “I know me marrying Fleur was completely out of the blue, but I love her very much. And with the war heating up, well, I just didn't want to die not knowing what it was like to have her as my wife.”




“I understand that, Bill. Really, I'm fine,” Ginny said. “I have big news, too.”




“Other than the fact that you're engaged?” Bill asked, nodding towards Lily Potter's ring on her finger.




Blushing, Ginny looked down at her ring. “Well, that's big new too of course, but I have something else I wanted to tell you.” Ginny told him about her dream and finally her decision to stop cutting. Bill beamed at her. “That's great, Gin! I'm so proud of you. I know it'll be hard but you're astrong young woman and you'll get through this.”




“I hope so.” Ginny shook her head slightly.




“You will. I'm sure of it,” Bill assured her. “So, you're really all right? You know nothing could ever change how close we are. After all, you're my favorite sister.”




“I'm your only sister.” Ginny laughed.




“Well, that doesn't matter. Even if I had other sisters you would still be my favorite.” Bill stood up. “If you're positive you're okay, I should be getting back to Fleur.”




“I'm fine, Bill. Go enjoy your honeymoon.” Ginny hugged him.




“I will, Munchkin.” Bill shook Harry’s hand. “It was good seeing you, Harry. Take care of my sister.”




“I will,” Harry assured him.




“I know you will.” Bill turned to Ginny. “If you need anything, call me.”




And with that, Bill stepped back into the fire and disappeared. Not long after, the fire came to life once more and Healer Seacrest appeared.




“Good evening.” She sat down in Dumbledore's high backed chair. “How have you been, Ginny?”




For the umpteenth time, Ginny repeated the story about her dream and her decision.




“That's a very big step, Ginny. How does that make you feel, Harry?” Healer Seacrest turned to him.




Harry thought for a moment. “Happy. Hopeful. I'm glad she knows cutting isn't good for her and she doesn't need it. I just want her to get better.”




“Is there some news you have to share with me? I notice you have a new ring, Ginny.” Healer Seacrest raised an eyebrow.




Ginny blushed. “Harry asked me to marry him last night. I said yes.”




“Congratulations. When do you plan on getting married?” Healer Seacrest leaned back in her chair.




“Not for a while.” Harry told her. “We want to finish school and get a start on our careers first.”




“That's a good plan.” Healer Seacrest nodded. “So, Ginny, have you had any urges to cut recently?”




“No, not really.” Ginny shook her head. “Everything's been going really good.”




“That's great, Ginny. I'm glad to hear that. Do you think you'll hurt yourself again?” Healer Seacrest asked.




“I don't know,” Ginny answered honestly. “It's hard to say. I know I don't want to, but right now that's really all I know.”




“It’s a great start, Ginny. So what has been going on lately?” Healer Seacrest asked.




“Well, Gryffindor won the Quidditch match Saturday, and after the match my brother Bill got married. Other than that things have been pretty calm.” Ginny thought back to the weekend. It had been the best two days of her life.




“Do you like your sister-in-law?” Healer Seacrest wrote something down on her parchment.




“I want to like her.” Ginny paused. “At first I felt like she was taking my place in Bill's life. He's my favorite brother and we're really close. Ididn't want that to change.”




“Have you discussed this with him?” Healer Seacrest looked up.




“I wrote him a letter before the wedding, and he got it today. He asked me to come up here before my session and we talked it out. I feel better now. I know nothing is going to change. I'm glad Bill is happy, and if Fleur is the woman that makes him happy then I want to like her. This summer I'm going to try to get to know her and my brother Charlie's girlfriend Anneliese better. I think it would make both Bill and Charlie very happy,” Ginny said.




“What about Fleur and Anneliese?Do they want to know you better?” Healer Seacrest asked.




“They've said they do. Anneliese especially.” Ginny went on to tell Healer Seacrest Anneliese's story.




“That's wonderful, Ginny. Ithink this will be very positive for you.” Healer Seacrest stood up. “I think we'll leave it here. I will see you both next Monday.”




Harry and Ginny shook hands with Healer Seacrest and left.




H/G




Two[*
months passed by quickly. The snow had long melted, and the professors were piling on more and more homework as the exam dates grew closer. Ginny managed to do all of her school work, Quidditch practices, and still make time to spend with Harry, who was swamped himself with preparations for his N.E.W.T.s.




Two weeks after Bill and Fleur returned from their honeymoon, Bill had met up with Ginny, Harry, Ron and Hermione at the Three Broomsticks one Hogsmeade weekend. He announced that Ginny and Ron were to be an aunt and uncle; Fleur was now two months along. They had recently found out she was having twin girls.




Exhausted, Ginny headed up to her dormitory early that night. She had just finished getting ready and laid down in her bed when a tap, tap, tap came at her window. Ginny recognized the owl as Charlie's. She was surprised to find not one but two letters addressed to her.




Dear Ginny,




I hope you're ready to be abridesmaid again! I proposed to Anneliese last night and she said yes! I expect she will be writing you soon. I know this is all very unexpected. Mum always thought I would be the Weasley to die abachelor. The truth is that Anneliese is three weeks pregnant.




I know we should have been more careful, but we're both very happy. I'm twenty-six and not getting any younger. It's about time for me to settle down and start afamily, and I couldn't imagine doing that with anyone other than Anneliese. We've decided not to get married until August. That way you, Harry, Ron and Hermione will be home from school and Harry will be able to come to the Burrow. Don't tell him but Mum is planning ahuge surprise birthday party for him. She claims every seventeenth birthday has to be special.




It's still too early to tell the sex of the baby, but as soon as we find out I'll be sure to tell you. Mum is ecstatic, of course. She wishes Anneliese and I had gotten married before we started a family, but she gets another grandchild so she isn't too upset. Bill and Fleur's daughters will only be about a month older than our baby.




I've heard from Mum and Dad you're doing really well during your sessions. I know you'll continue to get better. There may be some bumps in the road, but you'll get through them. Never forget you have a family here who loves you very much. Anneliese told me she told you about her. She was very close to Marta. I know no one could ever replace Marta – they were twins, after all – but I hope you will come to see her as your sister. She really wants to help you. I know you have written to her a few times in the past two months. Anneliese was really happy to hear from you. She wants to help you. I hope you're letting her. Things can only get better from here, Squirt.




I love you and can't wait to see you!




Love,




Charlie




Ginny smiled. She couldn't believe Charlie was actually getting married. Of course, with a baby on the way, he didn't have much of a choice. Over the past two months, Ginny had grown fond of Anneliese. The letters she exchanged with Anneliese were simple and didn't have a real subject, but they made her feel good nonetheless. Ginny picked up the second letter and ripped it open.




Hey Munchkin,




Charlie, Anneliese, Fleur and Iwere over for dinner at the Burrow tonight. He mentioned he was going to send you a letter, so I thought I'd send two for the price of one!




I can't believe that Charlie and Anneliese are getting married and having a baby. Of course, I can hardly believe Fleur and I are having children. Twins for that matter!




That's what I wanted to talk to you about. Fleur and I have decided to name the girls Alianora Ginevra and Elaina Gabrielle. I know you're young, but Fleur and I want you to be Alianora's godmother. Gabrielle will be Elaina's. Of course, Harry will be Alianora's godfather. I hope you'll agree to be Alianora's godmother. I wouldn't choose anyone else. Alianora is being named after you, as well.




Write back soon. I love you.




Love,




Bill
Sign up to rate and review this story