Categories > Games > Mega Man > Enigma

Puzzle 03

by Mikari 0 reviews

Puzzle 03: Antagonist

Category: Mega Man - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2010-12-26 - Updated: 2010-12-26 - 2268 words - Complete

0Unrated
Enigma

Puzzle 03: Antagonist

You made your way from one store to another in the mall with Blues walking beside you. You had just exited another store with your purchases, which you were thankful he was helping you carry. "Let's see... towels, rugs, laundry basket, scented soap, shampoo, conditioner, scented spray, alarm clock, sheets. I just need to buy some food now," you checked your watch. "I think we can make it before the mall closes. Are you up for it, or are you getting tired of all this?"

"I'm fine," Blues smirked with curiosity shining in his eyes. "Let's go get the rest of the things you need."

The two of you entered another store, piling a variety of food into a cart. You would be busy and had to make sure you had sufficient supplies. It turned out you liked many of the same foods. It was amazing how much your tastes coincided. Blues was pretty smart too, though he seemed to be internally debating about something whenever a topic related to technology came up. He looked like he understood what you were saying and even commented on occasion.

xoxox xox xoxox

Once the shopping was completed, the two of you headed back to Wily's hideout, slipping in unnoticed. "Are you going to stay at the hideout for a while or do you have a mission to tend to?" You inquired as you put the groceries away in the refrigerator.

"I'll be around," Blues ambiguously replied.

"That's good; it'll be much more pleasant around here with someone with whom I actually have something in common," you smiled. "I'm always caught up in my projects, but it's nice to have someone to talk to now and then. I thought I would have no one to talk to with the only other inhabitants of this place being an old fossil and a bunch of machines."

For a split second he looked offended. You were busy arranging your food to fit in the refrigerator so you didn't really notice.

He took a moment to compose himself and finally spoke, "did you hear about the clock tower that was recently built in the city?" He casually asked.

"Of course, everyone has heard about that, it just recently became open to the public. There's a museum about the history of robotics inside and the view from the top is supposed to be amazing. I've been too busy to go see it, but I really want to go sometime," you cheerfully replied.

You observed the familiar grin grow on Blues' face, "if you're free tomorrow, would you like to go with me? There's a nice restaurant on the top floor, we could have lunch there and take our time looking at the exhibitions in the afternoon."

You were practically ready to jump with joy. The very handsome and cool spy had asked you out on a date. That was his job for Wily; he was a spy no doubt as awesome as they were portrayed in the movies. "I'd love to!" You had no idea what he was planning.

xoxox xox xoxox

The next morning you woke up in good spirits. After you put away the groceries the previous night you unpacked. You placed the smallest rug in the tiny space of the bathroom and a bigger one at the foot of your bed. The rugs and towels matched the new bed sheets in your favorite color. Your high tech laptop sat proudly atop the desk and your dresser was cluttered with brushes, combs and a variety of accessories, mostly earrings. Your clothes were put away in the dresser drawers and closet. Your room still looked a bit empty but you were sure it would become cluttered soon enough with unfinished inventions and research. Then again, unlike before, you had your own lab space for that now.

Thanks to your alarm clock, Dr. Wily didn't need to send one of his robots to wake you. You completed your morning routine and stepped out of your room in a good mood. It was still early and you had just enough time to get some breakfast before you started your morning chores helping the old mad scientist. He had assigned you a few things to do and it didn't look like he would join you in the work that morning. The work as light for that day and you were sure you would finish early and have some free time before leaving on your date. You had not seen blues around the hideout yet; you assume he might have some work to do elsewhere in the morning.

You entered the kitchen practically skipping and humming a cheerful tune to yourself. Dr. Wily sat in front of the kitchen table with a cup of coffee reading the newspaper while he waited for Gutsman to finish cooking his eggs and bacon. The large robot looked quite comical in a frilly pink apron. "Good morning!" You chirped.

"Good morning," Gutsman replied politely.

"It is a good morning indeed!" Dr. Wily appeared to be in a good mood, "today is a grand day for revenge," you guessed he was plotting to pick another fight with Megaman in hopes of finally getting rid of the obstacle that prevented him from taking over the world. You knew the heroic blue armored robot wouldn't fall easily. His creator, Dr. Light, was a genius. He had been an inspiration to the scientific community and especially to you.

You continued smiling as you opened the refrigerator, then you frowned. The food you stuffed in there the previous night was gone. Did Wily have an issue with sharing the refrigerator? He let his robots keep their energy cans cool in there. "Doc, did you move the food I put in the fridge last night?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," the old fossil sounded truthful enough.

"Gutsman, do you know what happened to the food? I put a lot of groceries in here last night," you interrogated the big robot.

Gutsman shrugged as he served Wily's hot breakfast on a plate. "I didn't see anything new in the refrigerator," he set the plate down in front of Wily, whose attention shifted from the newspaper to the food. The large robot paused, "actually... I did see some groceries, but not in the refrigerator. Protoman was carrying some stuff out."

Your jaw dropped, that jerk! "Where did he go?" You urged angrily.

Gutsman didn't seem to understand the origin of your anger, "um... to the training room, I think." Without another word you rushed out of the kitchen.

xoxox xox xoxox

You hurried to the training room just in time to see Protoman toss a cereal box into the air and disintegrate it into nothingness with a shot from the plasma blaster on his arm. "Protoman!" You screeched angrily, "you jerk, how dare you steal my food and disintegrate it?"

"I ate as much as I could, but I'm full, so I decided to put what was left to use in another way," Protoman gave you that cocky smirk you detested. Though he could live on energy cans just fine, the high density fuel wasn't the only thing capable of providing him with energy. He could also obtain energy from food and had enough technology to perceive tastes. Food was not a necessity and the energy cans were convenient, food was more of a luxury than a means of maintaining functionality.

"I'm going to take you apart and melt all the pieces!" You shouted angrily.

"Give it a try," he challenged, "you wouldn't last a second."

You glared hard at him, then it occurred to you that he might not even have proper laws of robotics installed in him. He had put humans in danger in the past many times. They were just lucky Megaman was there to save them. You wondered how far you should push your luck. "You'll need maintenance at some point," you glared darkly, "you might never again wake up from it." You fully intended to carry out your threat when the opportunity came. The one who would be waking up from Protoman's maintenance, would be a reprogrammed, much more tolerable version of him.

He chuckled mockingly, "empty threats."

With one last burning glare, you stomped away, your appetite lost. You decided to go straight to work. The prospect of constructing weapons of mass destruction appeared to be a good outlet for your frustrations. Little did you know that the trouble was just getting started.

xoxox xox xoxox

Midday didn't come soon enough and by then you had recovered your appetite and most of your good mood. In fact you were starving and eager to leave the hideout. You felt as if a large weight had been lifted off your shoulders when you saw Blues enter the lab so you could leave together. The two of you quietly left the hideout, sneaking off to the city.

Lunch went by very pleasantly, on the restaurant at the last floor of the clock tower. The food was delicious and Blues seemed to be more open to conversation than before. After lunch, you hung out at the exhibitions, rambling on and on about all the schematics and prototypes of machinery. The evolution of robots was presented in an interesting way, so it was fun even if you already knew all those things.

Time flew by as you chatted pleasantly with Blues. It was almost three in the afternoon when you went up to the balcony in the roof. The large circle of the clock ticked below as you took in the view of the city. You had all but forgotten your fight with Protoman, instead focusing in the good time you were having.

"Want some ice-cream?" Blues offered.

You smiled, "that would be nice."

"Stay here and enjoy the view, I'll be right back," Blues went off to the little ice-cream shop in a corner of the large spacious roof. You watched him disappear among the other visitors before returning your eyes to the view of the city.

xoxox xox xoxox

Just out the clock tower, there were two figures in long coats and hats, one much taller than the other. Someone approached them from the shadows. "Did you plant the explosives?"

"Yeah, we even did your share of the job," the large one spoke in annoyance, he had a very prominent jaw.

"Just what was so important that you needed to do?" The smaller one inquired, his face looked orange.

"Never mind that now, we have work to do. You have my armor and weapons right?" The one standing in the shadows asked.

"Yeah," the big one handed him the equipment.

The one in the shadows smirked, "I'll be ready in a minute."

xoxox xox xoxox

Up in the clock tower you were getting impatient. What could possibly be taking Blues so long? Were there that many people waiting in line to get ice-cream? You decided to go search for him. You didn't get far before a series of explosions shook the clock tower. A small round robot with a helicopter on its head and a megaphone for a mouth flew near by broadcasting Dr. Wily's mad rambles about world domination.

You couldn't believe your luck. Dr. Wily chose to pursue one of his random acts of terrorism on the date of your date, on the site of your date. He could have at least have the courtesy of telling his subordinates when his going to blow something up so they know to stay away from it. Everything went downhill from there. People panicked and started trying to escape, you couldn't find Blues anywhere.

It didn't take long for Megaman to arrive with his loyal robot dog Rush, who could transform into a sort of flying skate board powered by small rockets. As people fled, three robots went up to the roof, Gutsman, Cutman and Protoman, Megaman's eternal rival. Megaman knew the destruction was a challenge for him, Wily wanted to draw him out for a fight. In truth you doubted the confrontation would be any different than the others.

You should run but you didn't. You had seen the battles of Megaman versus Wily's robots many times on TV, but you had never been this close to the action. You hid and watched as Megaman quickly defeated Gutsman and Cutman. To their credit, they had at least rendered Rush unable to help Megaman. While the canine robot curled up to wait for his self repair system to fix him, Gutsman and Cutman were picked up by Wily's jetcopter, flying above the building.

The jetcopter distanced itself from the building hastily, away from the plasma shots from the two battling robots. You watched in amazement as Protoman and Megaman fought, evenly matched. A stray shot blasted the floor near by. You backed away from the flying debris and the expanding cracks, but the damage was already done. The floor beneath your feet collapsed, sending you falling into the level below. You screamed at the top of your lungs as you fell.

The floor below was filled with smoke; it invaded your lungs threatening to choke you. You coughed and struggled to get on your feet. You were bruised and pained but nothing was broken. You had to get out of there. You couldn't possibly climb back up; you should have made your escape while you had the chance. The fires had grown and the building was filled with too much smoke. You were in serious trouble.

To be Continued

Disclaimer, I don't own Megaman.
Sign up to rate and review this story