Categories > Celebrities > Beatles > Beatlemania!

Homecoming

by MiaRiversong 1 review

Alice goes home, and talks to Liam. The summer of 1965 is almost at a close when the Beatles make themselves known again.

Category: Beatles - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Paul McCartney,John Lennon,Ringo Starr,George Harrison - Published: 2011-02-01 - Updated: 2011-02-02 - 3066 words

1Insightful
I said goodbye to the boys that morning, when they all surprised me by popping by Paul’s place. John was boisterous, George was and Ringo were trying hard to make me laugh, and Paul was quiet.

“You got all your bags then?” John leaped from the fourth stair only to fall on rather clumsily.
I giggled. “Yeah, I do.”
Mal Evans had offered to take me to the airport, so he was waiting patiently by the door, making a list of things he had to do today.

I took a deep breath. “Okay, then. I suppose this is goodbye.”
“For now,” George winked.
I threw my arms around him and he laughed. “See you soon, love.”
I spotted Mal discreetly slip outside. I mentally reminded myself to give him a hug as well. A beaming Ringo stepped forward to hug me goodbye.

“Alice goes back to wonderland, love. I’m sure you’ll come back here, too,” he whispered, tickling my ear.
“Thanks, Ringo,” I murmured back, tapping his nose.
John suddenly ran upstairs in a hurry, so with a roll of his eyes, Paul stepped forward and kissed the corner of my mouth boldly.
My head was spinning. George and Ringo shared a look of confusion, and Paul acted like this was the most casual thing he could have done.

“See you, Alice,” he said simply, his voice muffled im my hair.
I gulped, and looked at him carefully. Paul stared back curiously before walking outside. George and Ringo immediately followed, shock and puzzlement still evident on their faces.

I sighed rather dejectedly and reached for my other bags. Suddenly, I heard a nervous, squeaky voice call out, “Have they gone?”
“John, is that you?” I groaned.
Lennon himself emerged from the staircase, glancing furtively at the door and surrounding rooms.
“Alice,” he whined, pulling me into a hug. “I like you too much.”
I laughed. “I know the feeling, John.”
He was quiet for a while, and he refused to let me go. “It’s terrible how things work out, isn’t it?”
I was befuddled. “What do you mean?”
“Of course when I finally meet a girl like you, I’m married, famous, and she lives half-way around the world!” John exploded.
I was silent at that. “Well...can’t argue with you there. Fate is out to get you.”
John let me go and swatted at me playfully. “It’s endearing that you believe in fate, Alice.”
I frowned. “Well, I’m glad I entertain you, Lennon. Will you write me properly this time?”
“I am an excellent letter-writer, you little tart!”
I giggled. “I knew there was a reason you were my favourite!”
“Favourite, eh?” John’s mouth spread into a triumphant grin.
I kissed his cheek and ran out of the door and into the car without looking back. I waved one last time to the spiders that had spun the very complicated web I was now caught in.
~
I spent two peaceful days in my apartment with Lucy, just like old times. She was with someone else now-someone called Geoff. I was meeting him a few days, along with Liam.
John’s first letter came on the same day that Liam did-although the letter came first.

Alice love,
It’s the “Help!”premiere tonight, and I have to go. Something about me having a big role...You’re not going to believe this—Paul and Jane got engaged! I know, bloody shock, innit? Never going to last, you mark my words. How’s the sour Liam? I heard Paul gave him the old one-two, eh?
Write back,
John (Lennon, 1965)

I wrote back immediately as I sat in my car waiting for the traffic to move. I was on my way to see Liam, and to be honest, I could care less if I was late.

Sir John,
I hope you had a lovely time at the premiere, and I hope Cynthia did as well. Paul got engaged! Christ that was fast! Well, give him my congratulations- and Jane as well, please. I’m stuck in a traffic jam on my way to see the sour lemon of a fiancé I have. Yeah, you heard right. Paul and he got into a skiff while I was there. Not really sure who won...who’s your money on?

Missing you too,
Alice

“Alice!” Liam looked relieved to see me. “I didn’t think you were going to come.”
I shrugged. “The roads were jammed with traffic.”
He nodded understandingly. “Well, come in. I think we have quite a bit to talk about.”

We certainly did. We talked, yelled, whispered, and laughed in the three and a half hours that I spent there. When I left, the ring was back on my finger, and we were debating a summer or autumn wedding.

The summer progressed rather quietly, until Paul wrote me a cheery letter the dated the day before their tour was to kick off.

Alice,
How are you? It feels like ages and ages since I’ve seen you – probably because things are changing so fast. I can imagine John has already told you that I’m engaged, although no date has been set at all. I’ve decided not to let the public know just yet, so don’t tell all your mates just yet.
I hear you and Liam are to be married next year? Just think carefully before you jump into the rabbit hole, love. I can’t wait for the tour; I’m itching to perform again. I can tell George hates it and John’s testy about it. Ringo’s Ringo, and we all love him.
We should meet up when we’re in New York. We’ll send you some details.
Love,
Paul

Paul,
I can make my own decisions, thanks. I hope your tour goes well; everybody I know is terribly excited. I don’t know whether that’s good or bad...Lucy has a new beau; his name is Geoff. He’s a nice guy, he really is. Congrats again on your engagement.
My wedding date hasn’t been set either; don’t feel alone.
When are you all in New York?
With a flourish,
Alice (who knows which rabbit hole to go down.)

Life goes on, I suppose. The boys were going to meet up with me for one night in August. I tried not to think about it too much.
July went by faster than June had. Being in England and Beatles in general were put on the back-burner. It was all about work. It seemed like I worked eight days a week, and I often had a good moan about this to John, when we spoke on the phone once in a while, or by letter, which had stopped now that the Beatles were on tour.

“Now you know how we feel,” he would reply bitterly.
I sped through July and I was flying through August when things came to a screeching halt.
Liam and I were out taking a walk in good old Central Park when it happened.

“To your usual spot?” Liam asked gently, kissing me lightly.
I nodded. “I’d like that.”
As we neared my bench, my keen eyes spotted a figure already sitting on it. My eyes narrowed. “Liam, look. That idiot is sitting in my spot.”
Liam laughed at my possessiveness. “It’s a free country, dear.”
I growled. “Give me a second.” I marched right over to my beloved bench and then let out a girlish squeal when I realized who it was.
“Paul!” I grinned, yanking him into a hug.
Paul looked the same, as usual. His baby-face and his adorable smile made him just as attractive as I remembered.
“I had a feeling I would run into you here,” he said happily.
Beaming, I turned to look for Liam, who was several steps behind me. Paul smiled graciously. “Nice to see you again, Liam.”
Liam nodded blankly and then turned to me. “We should get going, dear.”
I shrugged his arm off of my shoulders. “Where are the others, Paul?”
“At the hotel, sleeping,” he replied.
I rolled my eyes inwardly. They were probably wide awake and smoking weed with some easy girls.
“How’s the tour been going so far?” I asked curiously.
Paul shrugged. “It’s fine. It’s just a tour. The girls scream so loud that half the time you can’t hear much of the music.”
I frowned. “Well, you’re the Beatles. The girls do love you.”
Liam stood awkwardly while Paul and I entered an engaging conversation about what we had missed. Finally, he got tired of it all.
“Alice! I have to go,” he announced.
I grimaced. “Paul, call me later on, yeah? We’ll meet up-and you can bring your untalented band mates.”
Paul laughed whole-heartedly and walked away from us, waving cheerfully. Liam was not so cheery, however. Once Paul was well on his way, he grabbed my upper arm and spun me around.

“Did you two fool around?” he demanded viciously.
“I beg your pardon?” I snapped, yanking my arm out of his viselike grip.
“You and McCartney. There must have been something going on there” Liam pressed, his stormy blue-grey eyes stared right through me.
“Nothing ever happened with Paul. Why are you so touchy?” I asked innocently. I had to pretend like I didn’t know about the fight.
Liam shifted awkwardly. “Well, a couple nights after you left London, we...ran into each other...and he started throwing punches.”
I narrowed my eyes. “Why would he do that?”
“Don’t ask me!” Liam’s shifty eyes and fidgety posture gave the truth away, but I said nothing.
“Well, I don’t know what you’re not telling me, Liam, because Paul would never do that on a whim.”
Liam frowned. “Why do you always take his side?”
“Because I believe him!”
“And you don’t believe your own husband?” Liam demanded.
I glared at him. “Fiancé.”
“That’s what I meant,” he said quickly.
“Liam, I’m getting a little tired of you always feeling the need to own me. I am perfectly capable of making good decisions myself.”
“Well, that’s news to me!” Liam retorted maliciously.
I frowned. “You were with another girl, Liam! That’s why Paul hit you and that’s why you’re touchy.”
“How the hell would you know?” he snapped.
The anger that was simmering inside of me reached boiling point, and I burst out angrily, “because I was there you idiotic dickhead! I was in England!”
Liam looked shocked. “You told me you were leaving the day after I saw you.”
“Maybe I didn’t want you following me around and begging for forgiveness for the rest of my visit,” I growled.
His face grew grim. “Yes, Alice. I was with someone else. I should have stayed with her too.”
I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, you should have. The Australian millionaire and the British whore.”

Liam’s eyes were blazing, so I turned on my heel and strode away angrily. When I got back to my apartment, I found Lucy and John laughing away on the couch like old friends.

My eyes narrowed. “John Winston Lennon, you better not have brought pot into my place.”
John turned to look at me, and my tough act crumbled. He looked the same-ish. His hair was longer, and he was thinner.
“Don’t even get a hello; its right to the nagging,” he teased with a knowing smile.
Forgetting all about Liam, I ran straight to him and let him lift me up into his arms.
“John Lennon, you surprise me every time,” I sighed in content.
“Lovely Alice,” John quipped, “you get even more beautiful every time I see you.”
He kissed my hair lightly, and I felt myself turn a deep shade of crimson. I had forgotten all about Lucy until she coughed loudly.
“Which reminds me,” I tore myself out of John’s arms, “how is it that the two of you are suddenly best friends?”
John’s wicked smile spread across his face. “Well it turns out we have one thing in common.”
“And what’s that?”
“You,” was his reply.
Lucy giggled. “We spent fifteen minutes talking about all of your embarrassing moments.”
I covered my face with my hands in embarrassment. “Oh no!” I wailed. “That means he knows about-”
“The time you were caught kissing your Beatle poster? Absolutely!” John cheered.
I groaned. “I said you were my favourite!”
John froze. “Hang on-you were kissing my picture?” His face lit up with glee.
“Oh no!” I screeched, turning on Lucy. “How could you?”
Lucy was having trouble breathing due to her laughter. “You dug this hole for yourself, Alice.”
“Loving somebody is a lot easier if you don’t really know them,” I attempted to justify myself.
John’s face sobered just a tiny bit. “You have a point, you know. I suppose that’s how all our crazed fans feel.”
I nodded, grateful to be off the subject of my embarrassment.
Lucy admitted that she had better make herself scarce; I happened to be shooting daggers at her for spilling all my secrets to John.
Once she was gone, John pulled me in for another hug. I was taken by surprise. He didn’t often display his affections so openly.

“It’s good to know I was missed,” I laughed.
“I shouldn’t have missed you. Not this much.” John’s voice tickled my ear.
I froze. “John. I need you to stop.”
He pulled away and looked at me seriously. “What is it, love?”
I touched his cheek ever so lightly. “All this...it’s not going to lead us to anything good, John.”
“What are you talking about, silly girl?” John chuckled.
I resisted the idea of pulling it off as a joke. Looking him deep in the eyes, I told him, “I just want you to know that you tempt me. And I don’t want to do anything stupid, so lay off me, okay?”
John nodded. “Yes; alright then.” He cleared his throat awkwardly. “I suppose you’ve already seen Paulie.”
“Yep; about ten minutes ago.”
Lennon grinned. “Little cheater. He’s been hanging around that park for hours just waiting to see you.”
I snorted. “Yeah, right. He could have just called me.”
“Paul’s always one to go far beyond requirements,” John replied bitterly. I had a feeling we weren’t talking about Central Park anymore.
“And you aren’t?” I asked nonchalantly, heading over to the kitchen to get the kettle going.
John’s vicious laugh was like knives piercing my ears. “Why bother?”
“To set you apart from the crowd,” I suggested.
He blinked. “Why bother? I’m already John fucking Lennon.”
I laughed at his blatant pride and confusion. “Alright, John Lennon, when do you leave New York?”
John’s smile slid off of his face like poo. “Tomorrow evening.”
I grimaced. “Well, this complicates things.”
“Shall I bring the lads around?” John asked hopefully. “They’re probably bored as hell.”
I thought carefully. “Well, okay, but wear a disguise and practice talking in an American accent.”
“Well golly gee!” John teased. “Fry me up some grits, honey-bee and then we’ll go celebrate them Thanksgivings!”
I broke down into giggles as soon as he said the word “honey-bee.” John looked rather pleased with himself.
“Back in a flash, love.”

I spent the few minutes I had cleaning the apartment. Then, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I squealed and ran to the bathroom and washed my face.
The rest of them didn’t take very long to materialize. George was groggy, like he had been sleeping minutes before he had arrived. Ringo was chipper, as usual, and John and Paul just looked happy. The first person I ran to was George.

“You look tired, Harrison,” I scolded with a smile.
“And you look lovely as usual, Westwood.” George smiled his crooked smile.
I laughed cheerfully. “Thank you very much. Are you hungry? I made lasagne.”
Voices grew louder and John let out a whoop of joy.

Dinner was a lively affair, but I barely ate anything. The boys, being boys, scarfed down as much as they could. The dishes were abandoned thoughtlessly in the sink, and were about to play Twister when there was a knock on the door. Foolishly, John ran to answer it.

“Uh- oh my gosh! It’s true! The Beatles are here!” a girl perhaps a bit older than me was grinning triumphantly.
John smiled peevishly. “Are they really? Where? My friends and I just love them.”
Right on cue, George, Paul, and Ringo ran into the doorway, pushing and shoving each other. “The Beatles? Where?” they shrieked girlishly.

The girl squealed and ran off. Within an hour, my apartment was playing host to a large party. I locked the bathroom and my room and Lucy’s room, so the living room and the kitchen were crammed full of people dancing to the new Rolling Stones single. I had lost all of the boys in the crowd, and I was dancing with a dashing blonde boy. I was finding it hard to concentrate because all I could think of was the amount of cleaning awaiting me after this
party.
Someone had brought beer, and I felt someone push one into my hand. John winked at me before moving on in the crowd. I saw someone spill something on my favourite rug and I gulped down some beer immediately.

“Loosen up, love,” George laughed at me, his eyes were glazed over, but he no longer looked tired.
“I see you have,” I shouted over the music, eyeing the two girls he had in tow.
He gave me a devilish smile before slinking off. Paul was discovered in a tangle with a beautiful redhead, and my heart ached for Jane and all the others-Pattie, Cynthia, and Maureen.

The ache was soon drowned out by the joint that was passed around. Ignoring my sense of wrong and right, I took a deep drag and forgot about everything. Danny was the boy I had been dancing with, and I woke up with him in my bed, and my apartment half-trashed.
Sign up to rate and review this story