Categories > Original > Drama

The Band Next Door

by Lyn_Killjoy_Manson 0 reviews

Cali has just moved to Denver, Colorado, moving in with her uncle. She expects nothing exciting to happen, but the band next door will change everything for her.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Humor - Published: 2011-02-17 - Updated: 2011-02-18 - 1037 words

1Ambiance

I finished unpacking the last of my boxes and sat on my new bed, and looked around at my room. Dark blue walls, soft gray curtains, oak wood furniture, it was such a nice room, nicer than any other room I ever had. The little clothing I owned fit nicely in my new closet. There was a knock on my door.
“Come in.” I called, Uncle Rob stepped in. Rob is my mother’s little brother, only 27. After my mother had remarried, my stepfather wanted nothing to do with me, he wanted me gone. My mother saw nothing but Don Harvanna, her new husband, so we made an arrangement. This wasn’t actually so bad, I would be 18 in 11 months, and my mother and I always seemed to clash heads, ever since I had been little. Growing up I learned part of it was the stress of raising a child all on her own , my real father, she didn’t even know his name, I was a production of a 19 year olds drunken one night stand. Now she had a whole new life with her new husband, and I now lived in Denver, Colorado with my Uncle.
“Your finished packing?” he asked, I nodded “That’s great, so the room is okay? I don’t know if its too dark, Danny said it would do, do you like it, if you don’t I’m sure we can-”
“Rob, relax, I love the room, everything is great, thank you so much.”
He smiled, he was really sweet, but could be a little nervous. Rob was tall and very thin. He had light brown chin length hair with matching brown eyes. He was dressed in a button down navy blue shirt and jeans, he had a very clean look to him.
“That’s wonderful Cali I-”, the sound of the garage door opened “Danny’s home, he’ll be so happy to see you, lets go!”
I followed my uncle down stairs to the kitchen, where the man who must be Danny was walking in. He was a couple inches shorter than Rob’s 6’4, but he had some obvious muscle that Danny lacked. He had short platinum blond hair, he was dressed in dress pants, shirt, and a black tie.
“Hello Cali”, he gave me a glance and walked past us, going up the stairs. Rob, confused, followed after his husband, yeah, did I mention that part? I waited for a couple minutes, until the two came back downstairs, Danny had changed into regular clothing, and had in a piercing in his lip and nose, looking kind of punk.
“I’m sorry Cali,” Danny said, pouring himself some coffee “It’s been a long day at the office, not all of us can take off whenever they want.”
“Oh come on, you know I had to pick her up at the airport Dan! Just because your in a bad mood, don’t take it out on me!”
“Does the fact that I have a migraine mean anything to you?” Danny asked my uncle, pinching the bridge of his nose. “I’m sorry Cali, I am glad you’re here, I just need my coffee and peace and quiet.” he took his coffee and went down the hall.
Rob looked back to me “Trust me, he’s normally not like this, just give him some time.”
“I understand, I don’t help the matter either.” I said, looking down.
“No Cali, its not your fault, I don’t want you to feel that way.” he said “Just…….go upstairs, I’ll talk with him”.
I obeyed and went upstairs, I was extremely tired from the flight from New Jersey, I guess you could call it jet lag. I curled up on my bed and drifted asleep.



“Cali, Cali, rise and shine sweetheart!”
I opened my eyes, to see Danny knelt down beside my bed.
“Sorry, I dozed off” I said, sitting up, he had really big green eyes, and his face was blemish free.
“That’s fine” he said, sitting on my bed “ I think we got off to a rough start, I’m Danny, duh” he laughed girlishly. “I’m feeling better now, I just suffer from serious migraines, and I apologize if I get cranky.”
“No problem Danny” I tried looking cheerful.
He nodded “Well, there is dinner down stairs, Rob and I - we don’t know what you like, is pasta fine?”
“Its my favorite.” I followed him downstairs, the table was set for three and a large bowl of Spaghetti sat in the middle. We sat down and began the meal, I wasn’t used to this, normally I ate in my room or the living room, not now, but this was nice too.
“So, Robbie tells me your into art?” Danny asked.
“Yeah”, I said, eating “this is really good.”
“Thank you”, Danny said “I tried art in high school, I was never good at it , must run in the family, Robbie is talented too.”
“Barely.” he mumbled.
“You are talented,” Danny told him “Who wants dessert?” Dessert was cheesecake, and tasted great as well. Afterwards, I went outside, into the cold weather. It was about 30 degrees . Snow lined the yard, and the street, snow was one thing I was familiar with.
“Just shut the hell up!”
The shout made me look up. Across the street, a boy was stumbling out of a garage, yelling over his shoulder. A second smaller boy came after him.
“Don’t yell at us you bastard!” the second man said “We are over!” and two other guys emerged from the garage, the one threw something at the first man, and took off down the street.
“ You morons!” he slurred after them “Your nothing with out me!”
The three other men ignored him as they turned the corner, the guy looked up and our eyes met “Hey!” he waved to me, took one step, and fell face first to the ground, and didn’t get back up, I waited about 30 seconds, then jogged across the road, to the teenage boy, I rolled him face up “Hey!” I shouted “Hello!”
I gasped, yellow foam began seeping from his mouth.
Sign up to rate and review this story