Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Year of Discovery

Harry Potter and the Year of Discovery

by drstln 1 review

Its Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts. A new attitude and an attraction to Ginny Weasley should make this an interesting year for young Harry.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Ginny, Harry - Published: 2005-05-20 - Updated: 2005-05-20 - 1377 words

1Funny
Chapter 1:
At the Dursleys

Life at the Dursley's had been better than it had ever been before. Considering what life was like before, this still wasn't saying much. The main difference between summer now and the summers that had passed before was the fact that the Dursley's seemed almost terrified of actually speaking to Harry. Also, Harry was no longer expected to keep with Dudley's diet. This was always a plus. After the threats from Mad-Eye Moody and the other members of the Order of the Phoenix on the train platform at the beginning of summer, Harry was also no longer expected to do chores around the house.
Since the Dursley's were failing to make life miserable for Harry, he spent a great deal of time in his room alone. This allowed him to make himself miserable. Although, he had managed to complete all of his homework for the summer. Hermione would be proud, and Ron would be horrified. It had now been almost four weeks since the end of term. Harry had to make sure that he sent off a note to Remus or Tonks, once every few days to make sure that they didn't drop in to make sure that he was alright.
He had received one note from Ron, and two from Hermione thus far in the summer.
Hey Harry,
I hope you aren't too bored there at the Dursley's, mate. We only spent two weeks at the Burrow, before we came to headquarters. Mum says Dumbledore told her that you would be able to come the day before your birthday. See you then, mate.
Ron
The letters from Hermione were just a bit more introspective.
Dear Harry,
There are many things going on here right now. Obviously, I can't tell you about them since the owl might be intercepted. I know that we will have a lot to catch up on when you get to come here to headquarters. I hope to see you soon.
Love
Hermione
Hermione's second note obviously had to do with nothing other than the O.W.L.'s.
Dear Harry,
I'm going nuts. I want to know what my O.W.L. results are. I'm dying to know how you and Ron did as well. Ron's being a prat about it. He keeps telling me not to worry, that I did fine. I want my O.W.L. results. I'm sorry to rant at you, Harry, but its sooooo frustrating and I can't really talk to Ron about it. I'll see you at headquarters in a couple of weeks.
Love
Hermione
It was only two days after Hermione's second letter that an unfamiliar owl showed up at Harry's window. He pulled the letter from the owl's leg and then allowed the owl to take a drink of water from Hedwig's cage before it flew out the window. The outside of the letter simply said, O.W.L. results for Harry James Potter. Harry proceeded to open the letter and two sheets fell out. The first was a letter from the O.W.L. board and the second was a list of his scores.
Dear Mr. Potter,
We would like to extend congratulations on your successful testing. You are eligible to take N.E.W.T. level classes in Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Potions, and Transfiguration.
Sincerely,
Griselda Marchbanks
O.W.L. Scores for Harry James Potter
Astronomy A
Care of Magical Creatures O
Charms O
Defense Against the Dark Arts O+
Divination D
Herbology E
History of Magic P
Potions O
Transfiguration E
"Wow", breathed Harry. "Hermione's going to be ecstatic."
The next morning Harry was awakened to the sound of a thump against his window. He opened his eyes to see Pig bouncing around outside. Harry grinned as he opened the window and reached out to grab the tiny owl. He removed the letters from Pig's leg and then let him fly around excitedly.
He opened the letter from Ron first.
Hey Harry,
Just thought that I would let you know. We will be port keying in to pick you up at noon on the 30th. We got our O.W.L. results yesterday and Hermione is being a pain. She keeps asking me how I did. So far I've refused to tell her. Anyway we'll see you in a few days, mate.
Ron
Then, he opened the letter from Hermione.
Harry,
I got O's in everything but Ancient Runes. I got an E there. I'm so happy. How did you do. Ron's being a prat and won't tell me how he did. I hope you did well. We will see you on the thirtieth.
Love,
Hermione
Harry smiled," I guess I need to send a letter back to them."
Dear Ron,
Stop being a prat. Let Hermione see your scores. You know she's just worried about you. I'll see you on the thirtieth.
Harry
Hermione,
Don't push Ron about his scores. He will tell you when he's good and ready. You will just have to be patient. As far as my scores go, you will have to be patient as well. I'll show them to you as soon as I get to headquarters. Until then, know that I did just fine.
Love,
Harry
P.S. I told Ron he was being a prat, but don't let him know that I told you that.
Harry spent the next few days in his new favorite pastime. Voldemort watching. With all the time Harry had to spend alone in his room during the summer, he spent a lot of time thinking and focusing. While doing this he discovered the true nature of his connection to Tom Riddle. It worked both ways. He could peer into the depths of Voldemort's mind. At this point, Harry knew everything that Tom Riddle had done to become Lord Voldemort. More importantly, he knew how to undo it. Also, he knew Voldemort's plans which he had been owling to Dumbledore for the last four weeks. He also had access to Voldemort's memories from school. Harry had a feeling that it was going to be a very interesting year at Hogwart's.
On the morning of the thirtieth, Harry went down to breakfast. He looked at his Uncle Vernon with trepidation as he realized he needed to interrupt him.
"Er.. Uncle Vernon?"
"What, boy?" barked Vernon.
"I needed to let you know that the Weasley's are coming to get me today at noon." replied Harry. Petunia broke in almost fearfully, "They aren't going to tear up the living room, are they?"
Harry almost smiled at her discomfort, "No, they are going to be using a portkey, not the floo."
"Is anyone going to see them?" asked Vernon.
"No, they will be coming directly into the house, and then we will be going directly from my room I suppose." Harry said.
"Very well," grumbled Vernon, "as long as they don't stay."
Harry actually grinned as he finished the last of his breakfast, "Well, I've got to go and finish packing. Bye then."
Then, Harry ran up the stairs to his room. The remark that he needed to finish packing was just an excuse. Harry had finished the night before. So, all he had to do was sit and wait for whoever was coming to arrive.
At precisely noon, there was a pop and suddenly Tonks and Ron appeared in the room. Tonks smiled sunnily, "Wotcher. Harry, how are you?"
Harry smiled. "I'm fine, Tonks. Nice hair."
Tonks grinned cheekily since her hair was a nice shade of neon green at the moment. Ron broke in, "It's good to see you, mate."
Harry grinned back, "You bet it is."
Tonks asked, "So, Harry, are all of your things ready to go?"
"Yes, they are all in my trunk. I've already told the Dursleys that I was leaving, so we can go whenever you are ready." replied Harry.
"Alright then, you and Ron grab the trunk and latch a finger on." At this she slipped out a piece of wood. Ron and Harry each grabbed one handle of the trunk, and then put a finger on the portkey. Then, Tonks tapped it three times with her wand, and they were gone.
Sign up to rate and review this story