Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > A Knightly Tale of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Council of Elrond

by SixxLuver94 0 reviews

The council of Elrond arrive soon after Charlotte wakes up from her near fall into the shadow. The fate of the ring is to be decided.

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Aragorn,Arwen,Elrond,Frodo,Gandalf,Legolas - Published: 2011-04-11 - Updated: 2011-04-12 - 2959 words

0Unrated
A bright light flares. Charlotte squeezes her eyes shut, sitting up in a bed. Her head was throbbing, completely forgetting about her wounded side. Her eyes flicker open and she looks around at her surroundings. She was in a bed next to an open window. Dappled sunlight plays on richly carved timbers. She hears sounds of a nearby waterfall drift around the room through the Vista of Fir Trees. “Rivendell.” She mumbles underneath her breath. She winces in pain as she tries to get up out of bed.

Charlotte was so afraid that when she would wake up, all of this would have been a dream. She did not want to believe that she was in Middle-Earth at first but soon enough she was enjoying herself and loved it, never wanting to leave. She walks out onto the balcony, which overlooked a small cluster of elegant Elven Buildings sitting in a Shangri-la like Valley below towering cliffs, and snow clapped mountains. “Wow.” Charlotte notices Dwarfs, Elves, and Men gathering down at the Rivendell gate.

She leans onto the balcony smiling in satisfaction as she sees whom she wanted to see. Strider greeting Legolas Greenleaf the Elven Prince of Mirkwood. Charlotte bites her bottom lip watching the two talk amongst themselves. Legolas looked just as Orlando Bloom did in the movies but much more gorgeous. She could not help but stare. Finally after what seemed like an eternity Legolas felt two pair of eyes on him. He turned his head to his right scanning the surroundings. Charlotte backs away and as she turns around, she bumps into someone. “I’m so sorry.” She says looking up to see who exactly it was that she ran into.

Lord Elrond of the High Elves of Rivendell looks down at her. His face was neither old nor young, though Charlotte saw in it memories written of many things both glad and sorrowful. “Lady Charlotte, I am glad to see that you are awake. If we waited any longer I would be sad to say that we would not be able to help you.” He says. Charlotte nods. “Thank goodness for Elves and their medicine, huh?” she says trying to lighten up the mood and not draw attention to herself.

Lord Elrond raises up an eyebrow studying her. “Welcome to Rivendell, Charlotte Knightly.” He says. Charlotte could tell he wanted to question her, ask her whom she was, what she was doing with The Hobbits, where she was from, but Charlotte did not feel well enough to talk about it yet. “Lord Elrond, look I know you have questions, quite a few actually, but if you will please excuse me I am not ready to tell you. I have so many things I myself need to figure out and...” Lord Elrond puts a hand up signaling her to stop, giving her a warm smile. “Perhaps later on you will be able to say but as of now you may want to go see Frodo. He has been awake for a few days now, worrying about how you are doing.” Lord Elrond steps aside.

Charlotte nods. “Of course.” She says walking inside the room. “I will have Arwen show you to his room.” Charlotte now notices a she-elf standing in the room. Arwen, the love of Aragorn’s life. “Good Morning, Lady Charlotte. I see that you are now up. I hope you are well rested.” Says Arwen. Charlotte gives her a gentle smile. “I totally am well rested. I still hurt but eh, what is life without pain?” she says. Arwen looks at her father before looking back at Charlotte. “Follow me.” She walks towards the beautifully carved Elven door leading out into the hallway. Charlotte follows Arwen out. She looks behind her just before the door closes to see Lord Elrond leaning up against the balcony shaking his head.

“Lady Charlotte?” calls out Arwen’s voice. Charlotte blinks in surprise looking at Arwen. “Oh, I’m sorry. Please continue.” Arwen begans to walk again, Charlotte following behind. She could not help but to gape in awe at all of their surroundings. It was amazing. Arwen leads her onto a Rivendell Terrance onto which Frodo and Bilbo Baggings were on. They were talking with each other. Charlotte smiles. Frodo looks up,he looks from Arwen to Charlotte before a grin spreads across his face. “Charlie!” Frodo stands up running over. Charlotte smiles crouching down to his height, as he runs to her. She embraces him. “Oh, Frodo.” She says closing her eyes. She thought of him as her kid brother. She grew very fond of all four Hobbits in the last few days she has been with them.

Arwen smiles. “I will leave you alone now. Good day, Frodo, Bilbo, Lady Charlotte.” Arwen walks away. Frodo pulls away. Charlotte smiles. “I’m glad you are okay, Frodo.” She says before her eyes fall on Bilbo. Frodo steps back. “Charlie this is..” Charlotte smiles. “Bilbo Baggins. Pleasure to meet you, sir.” She says. Frodo watches as the two shake hands. “I like her, my dear boy.” Says Bilbo looking at Frodo. Charlotte spots Strider talking to an elf. She was pretty sure it was Legolas but since most elves had long blonde hair she was not sure. She turns back to Frodo and Bilbo. “Excuse me.” She says walking towards Strider. “Hey.” She says coming up from behind them. Strider turns around, looks her over and smiles. “Milady. I see you are up and about.” Says Strider. Charlotte looks over at Legolas then back at Strider. “Yeah. Feel so much better. And please call me Charlotte or Charlie. Milady makes me sound as though I’m royalty or something.” At that Legolas raises up an eyebrow looking her over. Charlotte could feel his gaze on her making her rather uncomfortable. “Listen I wanted to thank you for saving Frodo and myself. If you did not arrive in time I would probably be dead right about now. I owe you my life.” she says. Strider shakes his head. “It’s quite alright. What I do not understand is why you put yourself in the way of the Witch King. You could have fought any of the other wraiths but..”

Charlotte closes her eyes as the Witch King comes to mind and the Morgul Blade slicing into ther skin. “If I did not step in the way the Witch King would have gotten to Frodo. I could not let that happen. I would put my own life on the line to make sure no harm comes to Frodo or any of the Hobbits.” She says. Strider nods in understandment. “And he should be grateful for that. If you will excuse me, Charlie, but Legolas and I are needed somewhere.” Strider says goodbye to Legolas before walking away off the Terrace. Charlotte looks at Legolas. He gives her a strange look before walking away from her. “I don’t remember him being that quiet in the movie.” She says underneath her breath unknown to her that Legolas being an elf could hear her.

Charlotte wraps her arms around herself before heading back to the room she awoke in. She turns the corner of the hallway and ran right into Pippin and Merry. “Charlie!” says Pippin hugging her. Charlotte smiles hugging him back. “What are you guys doing?” she asks. Merry shakes his head signaling Pippin not to say anything. “We heard that there is a secret meeting we are not allowed in tomorrow so we are going to put a plan in motion so we can listen in on it.” Merry groans. “Pippin!” Merry’s hand makes contact with the back of Pippin’s head. Charlotte giggles. “Okay, you guys. Well have fun.” She says. Pippin pulls Merry aside whispers something in his ear before looking back at Charlotte. “Want to join us? No outsiders other than Frodo are allowed at the meeting.” Says Pippin. Charlotte thinks about it for a while before agreeing. “Alright. I’ll meet up with you guys first thing tomorrow, I guess.” Pippin smiles while Merry shakes his head.

Nightfall came around too soon for her liking. Charlotte was anything but sleepy. She sighs as she gets out of the bed. Putting on a black see through silk robe she walks out into the hallway. She could hear snoring coming from Merry and Pippin’s room. “Boys.” She mumbles underneath her breath before walking down the hallway onto a terrace. She closes her eyes breathing in the night air. “Renech I lu I erui govannem?” Charlotte opens her eyes searching for the owner of the voice when her eyes lands upon a stone bridge on where two figures were standing, hand in hand. Charlotte smiles. Remembering the scene unfold in the movie and every word they said to each other. It was beautiful but now that she was in it, it was quite clearly much more beautiful then ever.

“You should be asleep.” Charlotte gasps turning around to come face to face with Legolas. After catching her breath she puts a finger over her lips, signaling him to be quiet. She turns back around watching Arwen and Strider. Legolas moves to stand beside her. “I don’t think we properly met before. I apologize for that.” He quietly says. Charlotte looks at him. “I know who you are, Legolas Greenleaf the Elven Prince of Mirkwood.” She says. Legolas looks back out then back at her. “You can see things that have not happened yet if I am not mistaken. Word travels around fast.” Charlotte chuckles looking up into his intense blue eyes. “Well word is not always correct. I already know everything that will happen and has. Who everyone is, what path everyone will take, what the outcome will be. Like I knew that if someone did not intervene up at Weathertop, Frodo would have been worse off. Better me then him, right.” She sighs looking back out. Legolas frowns looking the mysterious girl over.

“Well, I better be off. Long day tomorrow. Goodnight, Lady Charlotte.” He starts to walk away. Charlotte turns around watching his retreating form. “Legolas,..” she calls out to him completely forgetting the fact that Arwen and Strider were out there. He stops in his tracks turning back around. “Call me Charlie. No need to be formal.” She says. Legolas nods. “Goodnight.”

Charlotte watches him walk off completely forgetting where she was. “Ahem.” A voice interrupts her thoughts. Charlotte closes her eyes turning around to come face to face with Arwen who crosses her arms and raises up an eyebrow. Charlotte smiles. “Hi.” She says fidgeting with the end of her blouse. Arwen laughs. “Come on. We better get you back to your room.” As the elf and Charlotte walked the halls, a peacefulness passed between them. “So, ahem, you and Legolas?” asks Arwen breaking the silence. Charlotte looks at Arwen. “Legolas and I what?” she asks. Arwen chuckles. “ Nothing.” She keeps on walking. Charlotte frowns. “Legolas and I what?” she asks again. Arwen shakes her head. “Nothing. Ignore it.” She says. Charlotte scoffs. “How can I ignore it. Legolas and I what?” she asks again. Arwen stops in front of Charlotte’s room. “Goodnight, Charlie.”
Charlotte watches Arwen walk away and disappear into the darkness. She shakes her head before entering her own room.

Early that morning Charlotte meets up with Merry and Pippin. They skip breakfast, much to Arwen’s surprise and then head down to the council which has started already. They hide behind pillars. “Strangers from distant lands. friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite...or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate. this one doom.” Lord Elrond announces turning to Frodo. “Bring forth the ring Frodo.” He asks. Frodo steps froward and moves towards a stone Plinth. He sets the ring down and returns to his seat next to Gandalf.

Merry and Pippin look at each other. “Whats the deal about the ring?” mouths Pippin. Merry shrugs. Charlotte glares at Pippin. “Shhh.” She looks back out to see Boromir looking intently at the ring. “It is a gift. a gift to the foes of Mordor! Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, held the forces of Mordor at bay...,” Boromir stands up. “by the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. let us use it against him!” Charlotte rolls her eyes. “Idiot.” She mumbles underneath her breath. “You cannot wield it. None of us can. The one ring answers to Sauron alone. it has no other master.” Strider speaks up. Boromir looks at him coolly. “And what would a ranger know of this matter?” he asks.

Strider says nothing, and Boromir turns away dismissively. Legolas stands... “This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance.” Says Legolas looking at Boromir sharply. Frodo looks at Strider questioningly. Merry and Pippin look at Charlotte for an explanation. “Later.” She mouths. Boromir looks at Strider. “Aragorn? This is Isildur's heir?” he asks. Legolas does not take his eyes off Boromir. “And heir to the throne of Gondor.” Says Legolas. Strider has had enough. “Havo dad, Legolas.” He says. Legolas glares at Boromir before sitting down. Boromir looks at Strider. “Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king.” He sits down.

“Aragorn is right. we cannot use it.” Says Gandalf. Charlotte’s eyes fall on the ring and a rather loud humming sound rings though out her ears. She stares at the ring rather intently, ignoring everything around her until Gimli’s axe comes down on top of it. The axe shatters with a deafening crack, and Gimli falls backwards. Charlotte winces in pain as an image of the Witch King hits her. Merry and Pippin look at her concerned. “The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor, and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this.” Says Lord Elrond. There was a stunned silence through out the chamber.

Boromir adresses the council rather quietly. “One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly.” Says Boromir. Legolas stands up. “Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The ring must be destroyed.” He says. “And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?” asks Gimli.

“And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?” asks Boromir.

Gimli leaps to his feet. “I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!”

An argument starts. Charlotte shakes her head. This scene always made her shake her head in disappointment. It was truly ridiculous. Her eyes travelt to Frodo who was breathing rapidly starring at the ring. He stands up. “I will take it. I will take it.” Sudden silence through out the chamber passes through, faces turning to Frodo looking astounded. “I will take the ring to Mordor. Though...I do not know the way.” He says. Gandalf closes his eyes before walking to Frodo. “I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear.” He says putting a hand on his shoulder. Strider stands up. “If, by my life or death, I can protect you, I will.” He walks forward and kneels in front of Frodo. “You have my sword.”
“And you have my bow.”
“And my axe!”

Charlotte smiles before looking at Boromir. “You carry the fate of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done.” He stands beside the Fellowship. All of a sudden Sam pops out of the bushes behind the seat Frodo was in. “Mr. Frodo's not going anywhere without me.” Says Sam running to Frodo’s side. “No, Indeed...it is hardly possible to separate you. even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not.” Says Lord Elrond. Before Charlotte could react Merry and Pippin run out of the pillars. Charlotte steps out of her hiding. “Oi! We're coming too! You'll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us.” Says Merry. Charlotte shakes her head as she walks forward. “Anyway...you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing...” says Pippin. Merry looks at Pippin. “Well that rules you out, Pip.” He says. Lord Elrond surveys the group.

“Nine companions..” Charlotte walks up the steps. “Ten.” She corrects walking up to Frodo. “I do not fully understand why I am here, Frodo Baggins. But I have a feeling that I somehow I am supposed to help. If you do not mind I will tag along.” She says. Frodo nods. “I owe you my life Charlie.I would be hapy if you came.” Charlotte smiles. “Ten companions. so be it. You shall be the "Fellowship of the ring"” says Lord Elrond. Pippin smiles. “Great1 Where are we going?” Charlotte looks down at Pippin along with the rest of the Fellowship.
Sign up to rate and review this story