Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Surviving High School

~*~......HOT!!!!......~*~

by Rebel009 1 review

Chapter Twelve

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome - Published: 2006-05-25 - Updated: 2006-05-26 - 2721 words

0Unrated
Chapter Twelve

As soon as the note fell to the floor, Kagome bolted towards the telephone on the kitchen wall. She picked up the receiver and started dialing. 'I gotta call Inuyasha, she thought. But halfway through the number, she stopped, sighed, and hung up the phone.

"No," she said to herself. "No, I can't. I've been throwing him all my problems lately, and look what happened. I gotta deal with this myself...for once." She walked back over the couch and sat down, studying the photographs carefully. "I've got to find a way to get Naraku out of my life, for good."

Kagome picked up the photo of her and Inuyasha on the bench at school and examined it. She had definitely seen this picture before, but couldn't remember where. But that wasn't what bothered her at the moment.

"It couldn't have been Naraku," she mumbled. "I'm sure I would have noticed him, there's no way he could have gotten those angles unless he was out in the open." And there were other things...How could have gotten into the school courtyard anyway? The picture looked like it had been shot from only a few feet away, even with a zoom feature. And there were no places to hide at the skate park, she most definitely would have spotted him.

"So if Naraku didn't take pictures....who did?" she whispered. The silence that had invaded the apartment moments ago seemed to amplify as the questioned lingered in the air. Suddenly, the phone rang. Kagome cursed aloud and nearly fell out her seat in fright.

"Dammit, I'm going to have a heart attack before this is over!!" she exclaimed as she ran the retrieve the phone. It was her mother.

"Hello, Kagome dear."

"Mom," Kagome replied, surprised. "Hi, I thought you guys were leaving..."

"Oh, we are. In a few minutes actually. I just wanted to let you know that you left your video camera on the side table here."

The Camcorder!!! Kagome's jaw dropped and her breath was caught tight in her throat.

"It's been here for a while now. I just wanted to know if you were planning on getting it anytime soon...." Kagome wasn't even listening anymore. The camera, the damn, blessed video camera. She had recorded the entire murder, and she never turned it off when she got home. It must have taped some of Naraku's attack, if not all of it. What in hell possessed her to forget about that?!

"Kagome? Kagome?! Are you there?" her mother's voice on the line brought the girl back into reality.

"Uh, yeah.....Oh my gosh. The camera........I-I totally forgot about that.....Geez, I'm such an idiot." Kagome muttered. Her mind was in a blur now, everything was happening so fast. But, she could finally send that bastard to jail. She finally had evidence against Naraku....which was still at the shrine. Darn.

"Kagome? Are you all right?" her mother asked, quite concerned that her only daughter was losing her mind with her strange ranting.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine. I'm ecstatic. Oh mom, you have no idea how important this call was. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll be over soon to pick up."

"Okay, that's fine. Grandpa and I won't be there though. We have to go or we'll miss our flight."

"Okay, I have a key, have a nice trip. Thanks again, bye!!" Kagome said and hung up the phone, not waiting for another reply. She grabbed her denim jacket and the spare set of keys to Inuyasha's convertible, before running out the door and down to the parking lot.

**************************

Inuyasha stretched and yawned as he closed the hood on his final car for the day. He couldn't wait to get home, all he wanted to do was hang out with Kagome for the rest of the night. She was probably bored stiff the entire day, being by herself. He picked up his leather jacket, took his keys out of his pocket, and was nearly out the door when the phone rang. Hiten, another mechanic answered it.

"Hey Inuyasha, it's for you." he called. Inuyasha sighed.

"Figures," he muttered as he took the phone from his partner. "Yeah..."

"Inuyasha? This is Mrs. Higurashi." Inuyasha raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Oh, Mrs. H. I wasn't expecting a call from you."

"Oh, I know. I'm sorry, am I interrupting anything?"

"Nah, I was just about to leave anyway."

"Oh good. Well, I just wanted to say that I called Kagome a few minutes ago. She's coming over to the house to get her video camera, and she sounded almost...hysterical over the phone. I'm kind of worried about her. So I was wondering...."

"Sure, I'll meet her there. Hmmm....but she never told me anything about her video camera that she would get excited over."

"I know, me either. Thanks again, Inuyasha. Good bye."

"Bye." he said and hung up the phone. Hysterical?, Inuyasha thought as he walked out the door of the garage. That doesn't sound like Kagome. Something must be up. He ran to his bike, climbed on, and started the engine.

"And of course, that girl tells me absolutely nothing..." he muttered as he took off to the shrine.

***************************

Kagome sprinted up the driveway towards the front door, a mix of adrenaline and terror surging through her body. She had been expecting to make a quick stop and then get back before Inuyasha got home from work. She had not expected to see the shine house swallowed in flames.

Thick, black smoke clouded the air, filling her lungs and burning her eyes as she fought against the giant waves of heat that radiated from the building. Suddenly, there was a loud crack amongst the roaring of the flames. Kagome quickly backed away as the front door fell to the ground, it's hinges completely melted.

Whatever hope she had of retrieving her video camera was now lost and she was once again feeling very vulnerable. She walked back to the car to get her cellphone, which was in the glove compartment. She would have to call the fire department soon if they wanted a chance at salvaging anything. Her family would be heartbroken when they returned. At least no one had been home. But that peaceful thought was also shattered when a faint cry reached her ears.

"Somebody, please help me!!" Kagome whipped back around and stared at the house in shock. Someone was inside, she could hear them through one of the upstairs windows. She quickly replayed the phone conversation with her mother in her head.

"Okay, that's fine. Grandpa and I won't be there though. We have to go or we'll miss our flight..." Grandpa, her mother....

"Souta!!!" Kagome cried as she raced back towards where the front door used to be.

"Kagome?! Kagome, help me!!!" her little brother's voice returned. She could tell he was in his room, but why? Her mother and grandfather would be in America for several weeks, and they had left her little brother at home?! And now he was trapped in a burning house, and she had no idea if he was hurt or not. Someone had probably called the fire department by now, but it might be too late if she waited, and there was no one else around to help. At least she had jeans and a jacket on.

Kagome closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and ran into the house.

***************************
Inuyasha had gone from nervous to worried, and from worried to panicked as he headed towards the shrine. He could see and smell the smoke that was looming right over his destination. There was the house, burning like a giant torch, he was shocked. This was the kind of thing you saw on the news, happening to families you didn't know. This shouldn't been happening here. He frantically started looking around, knowing full well that Kagome would have reached the shrine long before himself.

He spotted his convertible parked on the curb, next to the mailbox. It wasn't long until he saw the small form of his girlfriend running straight into the flames, and in that brief moment he had just turned from panicked to absolutely terrified. Inuyasha shot off his bike, not even bothering to put down the kick-stand, not caring that it fell to it's side in the driveway.

"Kagome!! Kagome, you get your sorry butt back out here, now!!" He shouted, but it was too late, she was gone. He cursed, grabbed his cellphone out of his pocket, and dialed 911.
******
The only thought going through her mind, as she raced towards the staircase, was HOT!! Flames were everywhere. Every so often, a piece of burning plaster from the ceiling or timber from the support beams would fall to the floor. One had nearly burned right through the sleeve of her jacket.

'This is the stupidest thing I've ever done in my entire life.' Kagome thought. Finally, she reached the staircase and cautiously began to climb. The banister was in flames, so she pressed herself against the wall. Halfway up, one of the stairs gave way under the weight of her foot. Kagome gasped as her leg went through the hole. When her heartbeat slowed, she pulled herself back up and climbed to the second floor.

The door of Souta's room was closed. Kagome placed the back of her hand against the door knob. It was warm, but not enough to burn, she opened the door. Smoke had filled the room, making if very difficult to see, or breathe for that matter. Immediately Kagome began coughing violently as she fell to her knees.

"Souta!!" she called in between the hacks, looking for any sign of her little brother.

"Kagome?"...Under the bed. Kagome carefully crawled to the foot of the bed, lifted up the covers, and peered under the bed frame. There was Souta, his face covered with soot and sweat, his eyes wide with fear and panic. Kagome just smiled, reassuring him that everything was going to be all right.

"Souta, come on. I'm gonna get you out of here." She reached her hand under the bed, offering it to the small boy. Souta, cowered slightly, terrified of leaving his small sanctuary from the flames. "Take my hand. Nothing's gonna happen I promise." Finally, Souta grasped his sister's hand and allowed himself to be pulled out.

"Let's go!!" Kagome cried as she pulled him out the door, back towards the staircase.

*******
To say that Inuyasha was distressed at this moment, would be the biggest understatement of the century. It had been ten minutes since he had seen Kagome run into the burning house, and there had yet to be any trace of her. He could hear the fire engines and ambulances in the distance, but it would be awhile before they reached the shrine.

"That's it!!" he shouted as he took off in a dead sprint towards the front door. He was not going to stand and watch as Kagome burned to death. He was going to go and get her....and once they were outside, he would hug her....then yell at her....then hug her again....and then yell at her again.

He burst through the doorway, and was nearly thrown back from the wave of heat that smacked him in the face. All he could see was fire, fire, and more fire. It was blinding, not to mention that he was already beginning to sweat.

"Inuyasha?!" came a cry. He turned to see Kagome...and Souta?! He had been in the house the whole time?! He ran to the bottom of the staircase.

"Kagome, are you two okay?" Kagome nodded.

"Here, take him." Inuyasha picked the boy up in his arms like a toddler as Kagome jumped down the remaining stairs. The only thing left to do now was to get the heck out of this house. It seemed like it was ready to collapse at any moment. But of course, things always get much worse before they can get better. Kagome had followed Inuyasha back to the open doorway, when she heard a loud creak and then a snap. She looked up and saw that beams right above them were about to fall.

"Look Out!!" She cried, as she pushed Inuyasha and Souta through the door just before the timber fell between them.

"Kagome!!" she heard Inuyasha shout as flaming wood filled the doorway. Well, she wouldn't be getting out that way anytime soon. Oh well, now she could fulfill her true purpose, which was to get that camera!!! Of course, it was probably melted by now, but it was worth a shot.

Kagome ran back into the living room to where the side table rested. She found it laying on it's side, the recorder nowhere in sight. She cursed, got down on her hands and knees once again, and searched the area. There it was, under the couch! She grabbed it, then yelped as she dropped it on the floor. The metal had gotten too hot to touch.

Quickly, she grabbed Souta's school bag which was lying on the floor, dumped out it's contents and tossed the camera inside. As she got up to leave, she noticed something that did not belong to her, or the rest of her family. Another camera, but like the ones the school photographers used for the newspaper and yearbooks. In fact, it looked exactly like the one Sango borrowed, since she was on the yearbook committee this year.

Kagome used the sleeve of her jacket to pick up the camera, and then placed it inside the bag as well. Now, she was ready to get out of this hell. Once she found another exit of course. Suddenly, she froze. There was hissing and popping sounds coming from the kitchen area. She peered around the corner and was terrified to see flames surrounding the GAS STOVE.

"Oh shit, shit, shit..." she muttered. The last thing she heard, was a BOOM before she sprinted down the living room and jumped through one of the front windows. She landed on the ground with a thud and rolled a few feet before resting on her back.

Her eyes were shut, and her breathing was hard and raspy and she listened to the sound of sirens approaching swiftly. The beating of her heart was in tempo to the throbbing pain of her entire body. Maybe going head first through the window had not been such a good idea. She could tell that glass was all around her, not to mention sticking in her arms and legs, and she would probably have a pretty bad headache for the rest of the week. But, at least Souta was out of the house, and she had gotten her camera back. Even though, the film was probably ruined.

And then, Kagome felt two strong arms wrap around her body and pull her into warm embrace. She opened her eyes, to see Inuyasha holding her tight to his chest, kissing the side of her head, rocking back and forth gently. Souta was standing next to them. Inuyasha pulled away slightly so he could see her face.

"Are you okay?" he asked as he pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. Kagome smiled.

"Yeah, but I've decided that I never want to become a fireman." Inuyasha chuckled, softly.

"Good, because I don't think I'd let you anyway. Can you stand?" Kagome nodded, and he pulled her up slowly, and then wrapped his arms around her waist, making her lean against his chest.

"I'm am so ready to go home." Kagome said as the fire trucks and other such cars pulled into the driveway. Inuyasha smiled and rested his chin on the top of her head.

"I promise, as soon as the medics check you out, we'll do that."


A/N: Hmmm.....That turned out a lot worse than I thought it would. Oh well, at least I finally finished this chapter. And it's pretty long too, for all you fan people. Seven pages , not bad. Hope you like the fluff, I love fluff. Can't be a good romance story without fluff. I swear on all that is good I will update again soon. This was my impossible to write chapter. 009
Sign up to rate and review this story